We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What is the cleanest VM&P Naphtha that i should use? Options

thirdeyeopen86
#1 Posted : 3/24/2011 7:59:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys Im new here and had a few questions:

SWIM wants to know what is the cleanest VM&P Naphtha that can be use with the Vovin's Tek?

Also is there a difference in Red Devil Lye and Duda's Red Hot Devil food grade????

The second one is all i find on eBay in either food grade or not. Which one should SWIM get???

Finally Hydrochloric acid or Muriatic acid??? Or are they the same thing??? The Vovin Tek calls for Hydrochloric acid but when SWIM went to eBay to see if it could be obtained he found the Hydrochloric acid being sold with synonyms of muriatic acid.

SWIM isn't going to attempt any extractions until he knows exactly what he's doing and all questions have been answered. SWIM is taking all necessary precautions and wants to do this with the utmost respect and knowledge of the process.

Thanks for your time!!!!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

autophagia
#2 Posted : 3/24/2011 8:57:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is good you are asking all these questions before you go ahead and extract. I use Duda's and it has always treated me well. If you live in the united states, home depot sells only one kind of VM&P and it evaps clean and is what i work with for my extractions, it comes in a blue tin in the paint thinner aisle. And yes, muriatic is a synonymous term for hydrochloric acid.

Happy extracting!
"The mind acts like an enemy for those who cannot control it." -Krishna

Ice House
#3 Posted : 3/24/2011 9:44:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

thirdeyeopen86 wrote:
SWIM wants to know what is the cleanest VM&P Naphtha that can be use with the Vovin's Tek?

Well VM&P is actually a brand name that retails petroleum products. VM&P sells Acetone and DCM and a host of other products.

VM&P is an acronym that stands for Varnish Makers and Painters.

VM&P brand Naphtha is a fine brand to use regardless of the Tek you are doing. If the Tek calls for a solvent pull using naphtha then I would go with VM&P.

Whats the cleanest brand sold? Great question. I have no clue.

I know that I have been using VM&P for years and it has never failed me yet.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Shrabbit420
#4 Posted : 3/24/2011 9:46:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ace hardware's VM&P naphtha also evaps cleanly.

If you check what they contain...
ACE VM&P: http://ilrc.ucf.edu/samp...ame_2=&sample_id=220
(home depot) Klean Strip VM&P: http://ilrc.ucf.edu/samp...name_2=&sample_id=27

The ACE brand has less stuff, I don't know if this would make it considered more pure though.
“Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations. If you have lived long enough, you will know that things “go wrong” quite often. It is precisely at those times that surrender needs to be practiced if you want to eliminate pain and sorrow from your life.”

Eckhart Tolle

Shrabbit420
#5 Posted : 3/24/2011 9:50:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ice House wrote:

Well VM&P is actually a brand name that retails petroleum products..

There is an actual brand called VM&P?

I thought the VM&P stood for 'Varnish Makers And Painters'
“Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations. If you have lived long enough, you will know that things “go wrong” quite often. It is precisely at those times that surrender needs to be practiced if you want to eliminate pain and sorrow from your life.”

Eckhart Tolle

Ice House
#6 Posted : 3/24/2011 9:53:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ice House wrote:
thirdeyeopen86 wrote:

Well VM&P is actually a brand name that retails petroleum products. VM&P sells Acetone and DCM and a host of other products.

VM&P is an acronym that stands for Varnish Makers and Painters.

VM&P brand Naphtha is a fine brand to use regardless of the Tek you are doing. If the Tek calls for a solvent pull using naphtha then I would go with VM&P.

Whats the cleanest brand sold? Great question. I have no clue.

I know that I have been using VM&P for years and it has never failed me yet.

Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Shrabbit420
#7 Posted : 3/24/2011 10:05:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I thought it was a trade name though, just put in front of naphtha though to distinguish it from say lighter fluid naphtha. Like it was only made for painters and varnish makers, just as there is 'paint'-thinner or 'lacquer'-thinner which each have their own purpose.

I didn't know there was an actual brand called VM&P though.

Eckhart Tolle

proto-pax
#8 Posted : 3/24/2011 11:38:05 PM

bird-brain

Welp there is.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Ice House
#9 Posted : 3/24/2011 11:39:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shrabbit420 wrote:
Yeah I thought it was a trade name though, just put in front of naphtha though to distinguish it from say lighter fluid naphtha. Like it was only made for painters and varnish makers, just as there is 'paint'-thinner or 'lacquer'-thinner which each have their own purpose.

I didn't know there was an actual brand called VM&P though.

You may very well be right. I'm not 100% sure.

thirdeyeopen86
#10 Posted : 3/26/2011 6:42:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you guys for the help!!!!Very happy SWIM plans on keeping a log of the extraction and will post it soon!!! Great bunch of people here thanks again!!!

autophagia
#11 Posted : 3/26/2011 8:12:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes Shrabbit, you are right, it is a trade name, it just stands for a certain blend of petroleum products in a standardized ratio. At least this is how I understand it.
"The mind acts like an enemy for those who cannot control it." -Krishna

thirdeyeopen86
#12 Posted : 3/27/2011 8:48:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM was also wonder what it is means when they say Hydrochloric acid 6 Normal (6N) 500Ml Grade ACS. SWIM is about to purchase this product on ebay and was wondering if its the right stuff for the extraction process???

Madcap
#13 Posted : 3/28/2011 12:34:28 AM

illudium Q-36

I know this has already been said.... but always always always do an evap test.

Best to use a mirror and as much solvent as will fit in a puddle without running off.

I have used the same brand acetone for a while and still evap test each can. Just had it fail evap test for first time. Cloudy residue looks like thin fog about to evap...but it doesn't. Nasty crud we don't to ingest.

All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

DMT Psychonaut
#14 Posted : 3/29/2011 7:30:18 PM

Witness to Humanity

Thanks for pointing that out Madcap. SWIM was not going to test becuase he was sure of having the right brand but I guess always better safe than sorryStop
Disclaimer:

All these thoughts,
words arranged in this message,
come from the Tao
and return to the Tao.
Yet they do not touch it.
Each of us will perceive the message,
Yet to each our own interpretation.

I'll see you when the river meets us

thirdeyeopen86
#15 Posted : 4/1/2011 5:03:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry guys I'm not trying to bump my post but everyone who is posting now isn't really trying to answer my question and SWIM is trying to get the ball rolling. SWIM was also wondering what it mean when they say Hydrochloric acid 6 Normal (6N) 500Ml Grade ACS. SWIM is about to purchase this product on ebay and was wondering if its the right stuff for the extraction process???

thirdeyeopen86
#16 Posted : 4/11/2011 6:43:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone out there????

Exarp
#17 Posted : 7/27/2016 12:18:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Naphtha or VM&P is, if I get that correctley is paint tinner? Here in Croatia there is no such brand like that so all I can is read the labbels. It's hard to find thinner that evap clearly here. A lot thinners are mixed with xilene. Any advice for successful searching or maybe here is someone from Cro to help?

If there is no clean naphtha to find here...how good is lighter fluid? Any special advice, maybe?

PS
Long ago when I was extracting last time (wow...almost 4 years Crying or very sad ) there was Hempel thinner 808 and it was just PERFECT! But now, as I say allready...most of paint thinners are mixed mainly with xilene.Razz
Just keep the balance...the middle path...
93 93/93

newb1904
#18 Posted : 3/13/2023 9:30:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am putting together everything for my first extraction. I know this topic is probably played out but just got a can of VM&P NAPHTHA with (what I think is the easiest way to describe it) a brown label. I also have a order from Amazon in the works but tat can has a blue label on the front. It seems the blue is more popular.
With that being said is the brown label ok to use? And anyone know the difference between the two?
Thanks in advance

Toshido
#19 Posted : 3/14/2023 3:07:06 PM

Research & Development

newb1904 wrote:
I am putting together everything for my first extraction. I know this topic is probably played out but just got a can of VM&P NAPHTHA with (what I think is the easiest way to describe it) a brown label. I also have a order from Amazon in the works but tat can has a blue label on the front. It seems the blue is more popular.
With that being said is the brown label ok to use? And anyone know the difference between the two?
Thanks in advance

It may just be an outdated label. If the description on the front is the same you should be fine. With any solvent, it is wise to look at the MSDS and memorize the boiling points, flash points, and to see it's main ingredient/s.

VM&P Naphtha MSDS

You should always do an evaporation test as well.

DMT-Nexus Wiki

Learn away.
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌