We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salt ratio for upscaled Cyb's max ion tek? Lime instead? Options

Spark
#1 Posted : 7/22/2016 10:38:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Apologies for asking undoubtedly answered questions -much searching was done. Is the 70-80g salt : 1 liter water ratio able to be scaled up as is for 500g bark? (I know acid/base/water amounts are not in ratio to bark amount.) Is that sufficiently under the salt saturation point which is reported to be detrimental by Cyb?

Also I will be using lime as a base maintaining proper consistency and pH. Will report results.
All postings are mental exercises and hypothetical in nature.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

n0thing
#2 Posted : 7/24/2016 1:36:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why not just scale up the water? Haven't got a big enough pot?

I have never had a problem using too much salt. I just dump it all in until it won't dissolve... obviously once it cools more salt will drop out. That way you can be sure you have full saturation and... salt is pretty cheap so what r u worrying about? Couldn't see anywhere in the tek that it says salt is "detrimental" as long as you dont add the salt before the acid cook

Running Bear
#3 Posted : 7/24/2016 3:52:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't upscale it. It would be more difficult to properly mix the solution. All you need to do is buy another extraction vessel. You could easily walk into goodwill and find one for a couple dollars. I always do 2 at the same time.
Thumbs up

Spark
#4 Posted : 7/26/2016 9:42:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I went ahead and added more water according to that ratio. The lime is whats worrying me now. PH is fine but hoping emulsions dont form when I start pulls. I know lime is for dryteks but I had a bunch and prefer safer materials. I believe it will work, even if having to wait for separation a bit longer.

n0thing wrote:
Why not just scale up the water? Haven't got a big enough pot?

I am talking about scaling up the saline solution as described in the tek (salt + water).

n0thing wrote:
I have never had a problem using too much salt. I just dump it all in until it won't dissolve... obviously once it cools more salt will drop out. That way you can be sure you have full saturation and... salt is pretty cheap so what r u worrying about? Couldn't see anywhere in the tek that it says salt is "detrimental" as long as you dont add the salt before the acid cook

Search for the long thread where cyb and chemistryptaman are exploring the salt idea, cyb states his trial with fully saturated saline wasnt as successful as a less saturated solution. I also intuitively thought to supersaturate the water but will stick to the script on this due to experience with yields suffering because of straying from what is known to work.

Running Bear wrote:
I wouldn't upscale it. It would be more difficult to properly mix the solution. All you need to do is buy another extraction vessel. You could easily walk into goodwill and find one for a couple dollars. I always do 2 at the same time.
Thumbs up

I used a big pot with electric mixer and a gallon jug. Waiting on NPS order to do pulls.

cyb
#5 Posted : 7/26/2016 10:18:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Don't try and upscale...just follow the tek and run two side by side if you like.

Max Ion is for people who understand the process of extraction.
You don't upscale using ratios. Wink
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

Spark
#6 Posted : 7/26/2016 10:35:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I do understand the process of extraction. Ratios are not suitable for measuring things like an acidic or a basic ingredient but the saline is just salt water. To keep the salinity constant to your method but using higher volumes one would need to use the same ratio of water to salt. The total volume of saline would not be in ratio to anything else but the salt : water would need to stay constant, would it not?

Skylight
#7 Posted : 9/21/2016 4:47:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Spark,

Did you ever experiment with this scale extraction? And if so, what was determined?

Skylight is a fictional character. Anything said by Skylight is not representative of any real life events whatsoever.All posts should be regarded as fictional occurrences in imaginary dimensions.

DreaMTripper
#8 Posted : 9/21/2016 8:47:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just a note about Salt, Salt water buffers pH meaning it stabilises pH at a certain level so if you put too much in the pH may not be high enough. Much more of an issue using sodium carbonate. Make sure you measure the pH after adding the salt and don't be tempted to overload it.