We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harvesting mimosa hostilis sustainably Options

dehingoli
#1 Posted : 7/19/2016 3:40:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

Need to control growth of my tree mimosa hostilis of 3 years.
I've read that you can get some actives from the stem barks but on my observation visually, I cannot compare my pruned stems to the rich purple color of the shredded powder that I order online. Am I missing something?

I have a bunch of stems stacked but I don't know how I could strip the bark properly.
- my signature has been temporarily moved to another dimension.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Intezam
#2 Posted : 7/22/2016 8:47:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

...a good way of producing moar root bark is; instead of trimming the long branches, why not air-layer/replant them? Like this, from some air-layered branches, you get many new trees that will mature rapidly, producing genuine root bark. Once the air-layered ones are established nicely, can take out the mother-plant and harvest the roots (she is still alive in the other ones)...?

edit: you need (inner) root-bark, not stem/branch bark from m.hostilis, some other species (a.confusa, a.acuminata), can also use mature stem bark or even branches and leaves, but not this one (...we think). Are you growing in open soil (outdoors)?

dehingoli
#3 Posted : 7/22/2016 5:51:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Good answer with the air layering. Its outside on a bag pot. I have tried air layering but I can't seem to get them rooting. I'll post pics.
- my signature has been temporarily moved to another dimension.

Intezam
#4 Posted : 7/23/2016 5:50:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...if you are in a temperate zone, you can try make (natural) rooting hormone from willow twigs and shoots. Just cut them up with scissors, then let them soak in a bottle of clean water for a couple of days. Use this willow water to moisten your spagnum moss/rooting bulbs. Some people also use raw honey to fight possible fungal/bacterial infections. There are also commercial rooting hormones available, but we never used these...