We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvia Tincture Using IPA? Options

_Arcane_
#1 Posted : 7/17/2016 10:48:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Apologies if this has already been posted before I did do a search first but I couldn't find this specific issue, but I was wondering if a salvia tincture could be made using relatively cheap Isopropyl Alcohol at 99.9% purity and how this could be achieved, or is this a very toxic stupid idea that definitely should never be done?

What I am basically trying to achieve is the same gentle but deep vision meditation of quidding a fairly high dose, I don't really want the high octane experience of smoking extracts or the volumes of smoke required with plain leaf, and if the unpleasantness of quidding can be removed but keep the oral ROA and ability to accurately dose that would be great.

I tried rehydrating and quidding 5 medium sized leaves last night to check my sensitivity to it and potency of leaves etc, but after 10 minutes of swilling bitter mush around my mouth I couldn't help but wonder if there isn't a better way to get the same effects without smoking (which I didn't get last night almost certainly due to my own poor, inexperienced technique and not enough leaf matter or time chewing). grain alcohol such as everclear or spyritus rectified spirit are difficult to source and comparatively very expensive, is there an effective way to do this or is it a case of tough luck, quid/smoke/pay high prices for imported grain alcohol?

For me the perfect method would be a small vial of liquid with a dropper that each dropper held in the mouth until absorbed that would give a predictable dose each time and scale up in intensity of experience with each additional dropper, is this fanciful wishful thinking?

I have my own Salvia Divinorum plants so getting leaf material isn't currently a problem but I would like to find a more pleasant way to work with what I hope to be a wonderful teacher plant.
LamVamRamYamHamKshamOm

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Chan
#2 Posted : 7/17/2016 11:31:24 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

It's not a good idea to nickel and dime yourself like this... IPA isn't acutely toxic, like methanol say, and a single swig of a tincture made from it isn't likely to cause you major problems, but why take the risk? And if your tincture was any good, and you wanted to consume it regularly, then problems probably would start to appear.

Have you seen this thread? There's plenty of info here and elsewhere for making tinctures. The 1-drop trip is likely to remain a fantasy, however...
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

_Arcane_
#3 Posted : 7/17/2016 11:37:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Chan, I will check out that thread, this is the kind of more experienced user of salvia that I need to help me.
LamVamRamYamHamKshamOm

jamie
#4 Posted : 7/17/2016 5:10:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Iso does not extract salvinorin very well. Most of it will stay in the leaf IME. I have tried to make a number of extracts with it. You want acetone, or possibly ethanol but I have no experience with ethanol for salvinorin.

Good luck.
Long live the unwoke.

dreamer042
#5 Posted : 7/17/2016 5:57:32 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

You don't want to be drinking IPA, it's not meant for internal use. Ethanol makes for a great tincture, be sure and dilute it a bit when administering to prevent burning the soft tissue in your mouth. Holding a dropper of tincture in your mouth for 15 minutes is still a pretty difficult/bitter experience, but it does the job and isn't quite as bad as nomming down oz's of fresh leaves.

There have been some pretty good advances in creating resin/extract based blends with other herbs for buccal administration as well as methods for complexing salvinorin. A search for buccal salvia on this forum will bring up a few threads with moar information.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Red Eclipse
#6 Posted : 7/17/2016 6:58:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The solubility of pure salvinorin at 27°C. in Acetone is approximately 23 mg per ml of fluid, for 98% Ethanol 1.28 mg per ml and for 99% IPA .74 mg per ml of fluid.

source: https://www.erowid.org/a...n.extraction.faq76.html

also check out the gibran2 stickied thread for extracting salvinorin A from leaf,
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=15587

_Arcane_
#7 Posted : 7/17/2016 8:51:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys, I think I will just go with Ethylalcohol 96% potable alcohol it's about 4 times the price of IPA but I think you guys are right, quality tells in the end.

Would a Salvia Divinorum/Panaeolus Cyanescens tincture cocktail work or do you think it would most likely be uncomfortable or one dominate the other too much etc?

I have not tried to cultivate mushrooms yet but I am hoping to get a Golden Teacher cubes and a Panaeolus Cyanescens project on the go this year, both in tincture form for ease of consumption.

The intended method to administer the salvia tincture would be 2 droppers of tincture 2 droppers of hot water mixed in a little honey and held in the mouth for at least 15 minutes

the Panaeolus Cyanescens tincture to be evaporated down to a 1ml dropper per dose then soaked into carrot cake or banana flapjack and eaten.

If the Salvia/Panaeolus Cyanescens tincture works then treat it as the Salvia tincture and mix with water and honey and hold for at least 15 minutes.

any thoughts are most welcome.
LamVamRamYamHamKshamOm

_Arcane_
#8 Posted : 7/17/2016 9:55:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:

There have been some pretty good advances in creating resin/extract based blends with other herbs for buccal administration as well as methods for complexing salvinorin. A search for buccal salvia on this forum will bring up a few threads with moar information.

The idea of the buccal powder or salvia blotters are the absolute dream, I am not sure I could ever achieve making either of those in my kitchen with no understanding of chemistry, but if ever a tek comes into the wild I would be overjoyed.

Thanks to dreamer042, I will now spend countless hours wasting time trying to wish a tek that would enable me to make either of those into existence!

LamVamRamYamHamKshamOm