We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Peyote Re-potting advice Options

Gonzukes
#1 Posted : 5/17/2016 5:58:42 AM

Diviner of Sound

Hey everyone! Recently I acquired a little baby Peyote, which I named "Huxley."

He's starting to get a bit bigger, and I was just wondering when & how I should go about re-potting him? I also wanted to ask why he's so thin and his base is browner? Is he not buried enough or could be he unhealthy? He doesn't look very button-y.

Also, how long do you think it will be until he begins growing buttons?

I'd also appreciate any general peyote care advice, so I can raise a happy, healthy plant Smile

(Toilet paper roll for size reference)
Gonzukes attached the following image(s):
Snapchat-8874232778614409979.jpg (335kb) downloaded 95 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ufostrahlen
#2 Posted : 5/17/2016 8:48:17 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Good read for a start:

http://lophophora.blogsp...e/search/label/Repotting

The whole blog is knowledgeable. Also yes, repot your Lopho in a deep container with mineral soil (no organic matter!). Fertilize with good material in moderate doses (cacti or tomato fertilizer both work). Whatever you put in the soil ends up in the Lopho.

Quote:
thin and his base is browner? Is he not buried enough or could be he unhealthy?

Doesn't look unhealthy to me, he wants space.

Quote:

You mean offshoots? Probably 5 years or more. They grow ultra slow.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Spanishfly
#3 Posted : 7/16/2016 11:27:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been growing peyote from seed for about 16 years now, so have acquired some experience.

Huxley needs to be buried a little deeper in a gritty, well draining soil mix with some lime - the line on him between green and brown shows you just where he would like it. And I put Lophophora and other cacti with a deep taproot in Long Tom pots - which are deep relative to their diameter.

He is a very bright green, peyote are naturally a blueish grey - more daylight will do that for him.

I have never known a peyote on its own roots produce offsets until after it has flowered - they flower for me after 2 years, and may produce offsets after about 4 or 5. But not all L. williamsii do produce offsets - here one has them in profusion and one just plain hasn´t.

In fact the one on the left is the offspring of the one on the right, so the tendency would appear to be not necessarily hereditary.

Peyote are not as fast growing as, say, Astrophytums, but there are many globular cacti in my collection that are a lot slower. Good luck with Huxley.
Life is a shit sandwich - the more bread you got, the less shit you eat.

digitalvygr
#4 Posted : 7/17/2016 7:27:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gonzukes wrote:
Hey everyone! Recently I acquired a little baby Peyote, which I named "Huxley."

He's starting to get a bit bigger, and I was just wondering when & how I should go about re-potting him? I also wanted to ask why he's so thin and his base is browner? Is he not buried enough or could be he unhealthy? He doesn't look very button-y.

I'd also appreciate any general peyote care advice, so I can raise a happy, healthy plant Smile

(Toilet paper roll for size reference)

Huxley, great name, read the Doors of Perception a few years back and I assume the namesake is the author Aldous Huxley? :-)