We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV6789NEXT
Martial arts? Options

Macre
#141 Posted : 6/27/2016 9:01:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice to see so many people here training in BJJ. Endlessness is a great inspiration to my own training. He's a purple belt and I know for a fact he has trained with at least one of the major pioneers of the art.

I noticed someone mentioned Kurt Osiander, that dude seems like such a great character. I also saw someone mentioned Saulo Ribeiro. One of the best purple belts at my club (who has just won yet another British championship) was across the pond training with Saulo and Xande just a few weeks ago in the run up to the Worlds.

The BJJ community is relatively small and it is a pleasure to be a part of it. It has only had a positive influence on my life and will continue to do so for many many years. It brings people together, you make true comrades. Me and End talk about BJJ more than we talk about anything else.

End mentioned Rickson. That guy is an amazing human being. There are so many positive role models in the world of BJJ. I love it.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Poekus
#142 Posted : 6/28/2016 8:40:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nice to see all the martial arts enthusiastics here.

I did Judo until I was around 15 (brown belt). After that I trained for 6 years in a novel art called American Self Protection (http://www.americanselfprotection.com), which is a mixed martial arts form heavenly based on Aikido and Jiu-Jitsu. I trained 3-4 times a week for 2 hours and reached the black belt second degree.

The training always started with 15 minutes of meditation followed by 30 minutes of endurance training. Then 1 hour of technique and the last 15 minutes were kickbox sparring.

The sport gave me quite some self confidence and our sensei was a great person.

When I went to university I didn't have time anymore and until this date I didn't do anything with martial arts anymore. Currently I'm orienting on a new art form because it's the kind of sport which suits me the best.

It always strikes me to see so many similarities in the personalities here on the nexus. A lot of people involved in art, science and now martial arts. We all can have different political views and outside appearances, but from reading on this board the past 6 years we have a lot in common as well.

Let's organise the first Psychonaut MMA tournament Smile

โ—‹
#143 Posted : 6/29/2016 12:36:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Poekus wrote:
Nice to see all the martial arts enthusiastics here.

I did Judo until I was around 15 (brown belt). After that I trained for 6 years in a novel art called American Self Protection (http://www.americanselfprotection.com), which is a mixed martial arts form heavenly based on Aikido and Jiu-Jitsu. I trained 3-4 times a week for 2 hours and reached the black belt second degree.

The training always started with 15 minutes of meditation followed by 30 minutes of endurance training. Then 1 hour of technique and the last 15 minutes were kickbox sparring.

The sport gave me quite some self confidence and our sensei was a great person.

When I went to university I didn't have time anymore and until this date I didn't do anything with martial arts anymore. Currently I'm orienting on a new art form because it's the kind of sport which suits me the best.

It always strikes me to see so many similarities in the personalities here on the nexus. A lot of people involved in art, science and now martial arts. We all can have different political views and outside appearances, but from reading on this board the past 6 years we have a lot in common as well.

Let's organise the first Psychonaut MMA tournament Smile

Thumbs up Cool

ijahdan
#144 Posted : 6/29/2016 10:12:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Id love to do some martial arts whilst tripping. I've practised karate kata on acid before and that was amazing, but never had the courage to actually go to a training session in the dojo in that state.

Anyone done any sparring tripping?

endlessness
#145 Posted : 6/30/2016 10:10:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some years ago when I was still a white belt I took I think 2-300mics of acid and went to the gym to train jiu jitsu. It was a great experience, though Im still wondering how I had the guts to do it haha.

When the class started, it was coincidentally a day where the teacher decided to make some very intense warm up and drilling exercises, I was so overwhelmed I even forgot I was tripping for a while. Then when there was a moment of rest and sparring started, I noticed again how much I was tripping Very happy Since I was still a beginner I still got my ass kicked by the higher belts (so no it doesnt give you superhuman skills hehe). But I definitely noticed that with people around my level, I was very sensitive to the other person's strategy and movements, I was much better able to notice their intentions, to see what they were trying to do before they did it.

I'd love to try it again, but this time only if some of my team mates comes to my house now that I have some mats... Im not gonna take some acid and then get a train to the city then metro, that will be a nightmare of a come up , and the way back too... Smile

and yeah it would be wonderful to have some Nexus martial arts training with you people, take some psychedelics and learn from each other Smile

Psilosopher?
#146 Posted : 6/30/2016 10:52:10 AM

Don't Panic

endlessness wrote:
Some years ago when I was still a white belt I took I think 2-300mics of acid and went to the gym to train jiu jitsu. It was a great experience, though Im still wondering how I had the guts to do it haha.

When the class started, it was coincidentally a day where the teacher decided to make some very intense warm up and drilling exercises, I was so overwhelmed I even forgot I was tripping for a while. Then when there was a moment of rest and sparring started, I noticed again how much I was tripping Very happy Since I was still a beginner I still got my ass kicked by the higher belts (so no it doesnt give you superhuman skills hehe). But I definitely noticed that with people around my level, I was very sensitive to the other person's strategy and movements, I was much better able to notice their intentions, to see what they were trying to do before they did it.

I'd love to try it again, but this time only if some of my team mates comes to my house now that I have some mats... Im not gonna take some acid and then get a train to the city then metro, that will be a nightmare of a come up , and the way back too... Smile

and yeah it would be wonderful to have some Nexus martial arts training with you people, take some psychedelics and learn from each other Smile

I had a dream about martial arts and psychs. I took a mighty dose of aya, and was sparring with entities, both with body and mind. It was such a bizarre dream.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

โ—‹
#147 Posted : 7/3/2016 2:18:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

endlessness wrote:

ahahaha Shocked Laughing

endlessness wrote:
But I definitely noticed that with people around my level, I was very sensitive to the other person's strategy and movements, I was much better able to notice their intentions, to see what they were trying to do before they did it.

^ That there, I think once I get fairly comfortable in jit and on the mat and with my teammates i'll microdose a little bit of LSD. What you described above about 'being able to see ahead what the person was potentially going to do' - that's always fascinated me, and I think a low dose could really aid in that aspect. Feeling out the intentions and movements of the teammate would be huge i'd imagine. Plus, the expansion of ones mind under those circumstances, allowing more mental avenues to be taken - could only help imo.

I'd imagine one good hit of cannabis before going in could do similar.

endlessness wrote:

I agree. Smile

โ—‹
#148 Posted : 7/6/2016 10:29:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Well, got back into jiujitsu. Had my first class last night. Went as expected - got manhandled, thrown, tossed, strangled and submitted. But I loved every minute of it. Everyone was incredibly friendly.

Got to learn a single leg takedown variation, spider guard, de la riva guard, the classical arm-bar, then a few other transitions from the persons half guard. Much of it's foggy, there's so much to learn. I wrote a bunch of notes when I got home last night; I need to go and fill much of those notes in today when I have time with what I remember.

Now I know what all these documentaries on the sport/art mean, or what endlessness has told me time and time again - it's VERY addicting. It's not what you picture; as you might picture tatted up guys with muscles and 'bros' egotistically manhandling people with little remorse; but ..it's the complete opposite. Slap hands, fist bump, smile, roll, and submit or get submitted; either way afterwards, you chuckle, smile, and say great job, then go again ..and again...and again.

It truly is a flow art, and watching higher level people ....it's just flow with little to no hiccup. Gaining a new found respect for it. Can't wait to see where this takes me. Havent been this engrossed and happy with something in some time, aside from my hobby of cars and psychedelics. Smile

Ordered my gi last night. The universe is funny though; I googled 'top gis for jiu jitsu' and the first result comes up with this (look at the name): Big grin

โ—‹ attached the following image(s):
01.jpg (24kb) downloaded 152 time(s).
04.jpg (35kb) downloaded 152 time(s).
05.jpg (26kb) downloaded 152 time(s).
06.jpg (31kb) downloaded 152 time(s).

endlessness
#149 Posted : 7/6/2016 3:21:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hah awesome tat!

Im so happy for you bro, that sounds like you've had and will be having a great time there!

Yeah man taking notes is definitely useful, trying to go over the moves in your head again after class is over.

But its totally normal to only remember a small percentage of the moves. Maybe you can start slowly building some kind of flow chart or mindmap for the moves, so you can fit what you learn in an overal picture...

Let's definitely keep talking about it, im very curious about how your development goes Smile

โ—‹
#150 Posted : 7/7/2016 12:57:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Macre wrote:
Nice to see so many people here training in BJJ. Endlessness is a great inspiration to my own training. He's a purple belt and I know for a fact he has trained with at least one of the major pioneers of the art.

I noticed someone mentioned Kurt Osiander, that dude seems like such a great character. I also saw someone mentioned Saulo Ribeiro. One of the best purple belts at my club (who has just won yet another British championship) was across the pond training with Saulo and Xande just a few weeks ago in the run up to the Worlds.

The BJJ community is relatively small and it is a pleasure to be a part of it. It has only had a positive influence on my life and will continue to do so for many many years. It brings people together, you make true comrades. Me and End talk about BJJ more than we talk about anything else.

End mentioned Rickson. That guy is an amazing human being. There are so many positive role models in the world of BJJ. I love it.

Peace

Macre

It's so awesome to know that you train Mac. Smile End mentioned it to me in conversation; I had no idea (must've skimmed over your post).

Yeah, the comradery is amazing. Like a bunch of brothers that woop on each other; definitely brings you close. You're so spent after class and so loose and exhausted, ime it puts everyone in this goofy/fun mood. Lots of jokes and laughs. Feels real nice.

endlessness wrote:
Hah awesome tat!

Im so happy for you bro, that sounds like you've had and will be having a great time there!

Yeah man taking notes is definitely useful, trying to go over the moves in your head again after class is over.

But its totally normal to only remember a small percentage of the moves. Maybe you can start slowly building some kind of flow chart or mindmap for the moves, so you can fit what you learn in an overal picture...

Let's definitely keep talking about it, im very curious about how your development goes Smile

Yeah man, im really happy. I'll have my gi by friday, in time for sunday session. Yeah, the notes are in pieces; im going to go through them here in a bit and attempt to remember.

Im really interested in this flow chart/mind map thing you're talking about? Not sure exactly what that is, but I think I have a good idea. Basically just plotting positions and all the variations of offense and defense that can run off of those im guessing? That's a really good idea though; never thought of something like that.

Yeah man, down to discuss. Got the bug for sure. Very happy

โ—‹
#151 Posted : 7/7/2016 1:39:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Endlessness,

Yeah I ended up rolling with a white belt that has been there for about 3 months; he never ended up catching me.

Although, when I rolled with a blue belt then a purple belt, I held them off for awhile being in their closed guard. The blue belt eventually caught me in an armbar from closed guard. When I had rolled with the purple, in his closed guard, I was so nervous that I just kept my breathing slow, conserve, and stayed pressed up close to his chest, although as soon as I went to press up to posture up to attempt to work a closed guard pass - it was like a flash of lightning lol, he got me in a nasty triangle Very happy . I literally tapped within only a couple seconds; if I would've tapped any later I would have been put out. Razz There's alot more details, but they're hazy.

We did several (70% or so strength; not full on roll, just to give some resistance) starting points from being in his de la riva guard. Him having his right leg/foot on the inside of my left leg pushing straight out, while taking his left leg/foot and hooking my right leg, while grabbing my right wrist and pulling me in (didn't have a gi for him to grab lol); I was able to step out with my left leg, put a little distance on the pressure he had on my leg (kinda stepping with my left leg off to the side a bit while grabbing and pushing his right leg off to the side, outside of of my left leg) while taking my right leg (the one he had hooked with his foot) and sort've posturing down with my knee on the inside of his left leg (kind of like sitting down with my knee on the inside of his leg near the groin, all the while grabbing the left side of his gi lapel, putting pressure with my right knee down on the inside of his leg. Then I was able to move to his side while hooking under his right leg with my left arm, essentially cradling him in a sense. Then the coach called time from that point Razz

In the beginning of class me and the white belt drilled on single leg takedowns from the clinch. Loved those Very happy

There was quite a bit more that i'll type out here, just have to go look through the notes I wrote and start writing, then post some of it here for discussion. Smile

Macre
#152 Posted : 7/7/2016 6:46:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the club Tat my friend. Nice gi by the way, I've got a black Tatami gi, it's made of a nice thick lux material. I've got a blue Grips gi as well which is a lot lighter.

Sparring with different levels is so important. Fellow white belts, some of which you can practice moves on, some of which spaz on you and you can learn to deal with franticness, others that are on your level which is mutually beneficial for both of you.

Then you spar with higher belt levels and different doors open up, your ego gets checked and you gain inspiration.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

โ—‹
#153 Posted : 7/7/2016 10:31:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I found this PDF that has been talked about on Sherdog forums. Many there praise it for the beginner; it's called "A Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by Stephan Kesting" Tell me what you think. Smile

Between this and note taking, I think these will really help me, aside from continuous drilling - which is essential. Also, I started back on several brain/memorization supplements - Bacopa, Alpha GPC, Huperzine A and Aniracetam.

โ—‹
#154 Posted : 7/7/2016 10:54:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Macre wrote:
Welcome to the club Tat my friend. Nice gi by the way, I've got a black Tatami gi, it's made of a nice thick lux material. I've got a blue Grips gi as well which is a lot lighter.

Sparring with different levels is so important. Fellow white belts, some of which you can practice moves on, some of which spaz on you and you can learn to deal with franticness, others that are on your level which is mutually beneficial for both of you.

Then you spar with higher belt levels and different doors open up, your ego gets checked and you gain inspiration.

Peace

Macre

Thanks Mac Smile

Yeah, I found much of that out. It's nice to roll with the higher belts I found, mainly because they have a good grasp of what it is they're doing, especially during when they set a submission, whereas I found the whitebelt I rolled with was somewhat haphazard in his movement and technique, possibly lending to injuring someone (the likelihood is most likely small though).

I love it so much. I have an obsessive personality in some respects, and having been in physical sports much of my life; these two factors influence each other nicely. Smile

How long have you been training Mac?

Cheers Smile

endlessness
#155 Posted : 7/7/2016 10:59:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tatt, so awesome!

Yeah man being in someone's closed guard can be hell if they are good... Hard to keep yourself safe, gain posture and open the guard without exposing yourself one way or another. Sounds good you were trying to breathe and conserve energy. Usually what I do in this moment is have my hands on the guy's biceps, this also helps preventing them from using their hands to grab my lapel or whatever. Then when I am going to posture, as soon as I start to posture my hands go from the biceps to the guy's belly right below his lower rib, and I keep my elbows close to my body, right where the guy's thighs are, trying to keep tight. The hands on the belly will help keeping his back on the floor so he doesnt come up, and the elbows tight will prevent him from attacking my arms. But don't dig your elbows in the guy's thighs, thats usually considered 'dirty move' (even though effective, catch wrestlers will def do this), but rather just use it to keep tight. If he opens your elbows out, you become weak and vulnerable.

Remember always both arms in, or both arms out, is the way to prevent the triangle.

As for the De La Riva, sounds like you did a great job. Usually first thing to do is with your trapped leg (as you described, your left leg), open your knees outward, this will either remove his DLR hook completely or at least weaken it. Then you can work on different kinds of passes, but most passes usually start by weakening that DLR hook , maybe even pushing down with your hands on the guy's DLR knee. Anyways sounds like you did good with hooking his legs, squatting down with good base, going for a sort of cradle position. Just keep exploring im sure you'll find interesting things in that position which work for you as well as flaws in your reactions he will take advantage of.

Awesome about the single leg from the clinch too! I def wanna drill that more too.

The road map to bjj from kestling is definitely legit Smile

And yeah, rolling with white belts is def more dangerous than with higher belts, even if the higher belts can submit you way more hehe.

Good luck, and keep sharing your experience Smile

โ—‹
#156 Posted : 7/8/2016 1:34:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Well, compared to the first night, last night..I got extremely manhandled, lol. Very happy Got submitted many times by a 145lb 17/18 year old white belt of 6 months. Choked me quite a few times. Was able to pass his guard twice though. Did what you said for my arms and holding his biceps for some control.

We had learned (not sure what it's called), where if you're in someones guard, resting on the balls of your feet, you make a fist with your left hand like you're holding a hammer straight on; press down on the inside of their hipbone real close to their crotch/pelvic bone; pressing down and leaning nearly all my weight on that area. While doing this, you grab the lapel near the belly button,both arms straight and tight in while posturing up, back straight, then stepping up with the right leg/foot, like you're about to stand up. This was done in all one motion all the while putting force on that inside pelvic bone with all my weight. Then once my right foot is stepped up right next to his side, you essentially stand up all in one motion and twist, exposing his left leg (which is almost straight up). Then get around that left leg and pass into side control. Then from there, they taught us an ankle lock if he was to roll over from the point and go turtle. Smile

Anywho, I was actually able to apply that pass on the white belt that I mentioned above, and it worked. Got him in side control and ended up cradling both his legs with my left arm and right arm cradling under his neck. Almost was able to swing up n' over to mount, but he defended. Smile

Macre
#157 Posted : 7/9/2016 9:59:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some people just have natural talent. There's a guy that started just a couple of weeks after me who always taps me. He usually only attends the fundamentals.

He came to Wednesdays all levels class. He sparred with purple belts and brown belts. They tapped him of course, but they all said they really had to work to do it.

Naturally he got a stripe for his performance when our head coach saw his performance. Makes me feel better about always getting tapped by him Cool

He's gonna be a big player in the game, I can feel it.

Peace

Macre

โ—‹
#158 Posted : 7/15/2016 7:55:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

A really nice highlight/motivational reel. Kron Gracie <3

โ—‹
#159 Posted : 10/30/2016 9:48:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Well, tumultuous few months, ended up straining my lower back pretty bad, though it was brief. Got back into yoga for an hour/day, 7 days a week. Yoga's what helped get my lower back to stop hurting. So anyhow, I had missed bjj classes, then getting another job lead to me going less and less.

Fast forward to today, started at a new gym near by, it's been a week, really great place. The people thus far have been real nice and helpful, jokes constantly, smiles, it's nice. Rolled with several belts, got tapped, escaped a few positions, transitioned to a few, played a good closed and open guard, especially spider guard. Everything feels good there, no anxiety and it all just flows.

Today was open mat, drilled some stuff from thursdays class - a sweep from half guard, regaining closed guard from half guard, playing spider guard. Rolled with a few [6-8 month] white belts, did fairly well, was able to consistently pass their closed guard, push legs to the side and get side control, got knee on belly at one point; they eventually got out and before I knew it I was on my back Razz

Rolled with a couple blues, and a purple - all in all got demolished there; did get side control on a blue belt, but in every other area I got pretty much tossed around like a 3 year old, and the pressure they put is very alien Razz But it was alot of fun, alot of laughs.

I plan to go 4 days a week, then do the open mat on sunday; id like to keep this routine for several years if possible, im definitely going to try. Alot of life changes going on right now and this is part of the equation; feels right. Smile

Macre
#160 Posted : 10/31/2016 6:22:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's great to hear tatt.

Sounds like you're in position to really start building your game. I train four times a week and it's great, I love it.

I trained with Gilbert Burns the other day (photo below). He's a UFC fighter and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world champion. He was such a cool dude, he's got so many techniques.

Peace

Macre
Macre attached the following image(s):
gilbert_burns_censored.jpg (69kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

«PREV6789NEXT