We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolina foenisecii harvest and discussion Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#21 Posted : 6/13/2016 3:23:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kerelsk wrote:
I was looking over John Allen's Close Encounters of a Panaeolus Kind Very happy once more and it's a wonderful piece of mushroom lore. There's a claim made that Oregonian students have been harvesting this species since 1968.

The whole article picks up the flavor and essence of this species, certainly feeling some resonance.

Quote:

In 1982 I was on a mushroom foray in a pasture, in Kent, Washington, a field where I had previously been involved in studying the growth, developement and various habitats of the "liberty cap" mushroom (Psilocybe semilanceata), one of the most common and sought after mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest. During this foray I came upon a most startling discovery, one that would definitely make my day.

There, right in front of my eyes, was a tiny grouping of what appeared to me to be some very small mushrooms, mushrooms which I believed just might possibly contain the hallucinogenic compounds known as psilocybin and psilocin.

Over the years, my day by day field research was finally beginning to pay off. In fact, it had become somewhat of a daily habit which I ritualistically enjoyed. I had been gaining a very deep insight in identifying many varieties of fungi and my knowledge of species had tremendously grown since I first discovered the "liberty cap" mushroom back in 1972.

It was in the early part of April and I had been wandering from field to field for about three hours. On this particularly cloudy and sometimes rainy spring day, I came upon and espied a fairly small sized grouping of multi-banded fungi (marked by zones of color). I soon became enchanted by their fresh appearance. They were in a cluster and appeared to be huddling together like a family trying to keep themselves warm. I noticed that the mushrooms seemed to be asking the sky to bring them more fresh rain so that they could grow tall, as if they were trying to reach out to the heavens above them.

One of the first notable features I observed about these mushrooms while gazing at their radiance was that they were growing directly from out of a dung heap or what is commonly referred to as a cow pie.

Gazing at this wonderful symbiosis of mushroom and dung, I began to realized that these mushrooms just might possess some sort of celestial energy. It was as if they were telepathic and speaking to me in a language which only they and I knew. Somehow I could feel their aura and I knew that they had been calling me from afar to come and visit them. They were inviting me to their home so that I could experience all that they were. Inviting me to pick them from their habitat which they knew so well. I felt that they transcended to me a warmth which only I knew and the wind seemed to whisper over and over, "pick me, pick me if you dare."

Within a few seconds of time, beginning from that very moment when my eyes first gazed upon their presence in the dung, a slight grin began to appear across my face and I smiled as my heart fluttered and palpitated exceedingly faster then it normally did. I was flushed with excitement because I realized the potential which these little mushrooms might have in store for one such as I who had humbly wandered into their time and space of existence on this green little planet which we call earth.

I hadn't realized they were as common as they are in my area till just this week. My friends and I picked perhaps a few hundred specimens, many of which were growing out of my friends' and my own yard! Love

These are fairly common, but the down side is you need to dose high, they contain around 2mgs to 6mgs of psilocybin per dry gram...15mgs to 25mg is my goal dose, so, yeah, you may have to end up eating quite a large amount...

I have not eaten these for quite some time, I collect them, take notes on when and where I found them, I take a spore print, then I dry them and bag them for storage...

If it ever came down to it though, I would have more than enough...

-eg

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

entheogenic-gnosis
#22 Posted : 6/13/2016 5:34:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So, what is the deal here?

Panaeolina foenisecii is the most likely candidate here (in some of my harvests), I mean some are obvious panaeolus cinctulus, this has been confirmed by spore print and examination of the spores, and these are being harvested from a special location where the soil has been fertilized with dung and compost, but what about some of my other harvests?

I keep finding fungi which I would identify as Panaeolina foenisecii, specially by environment, quantity and physical features, yet when I go to take a spore print, and it's jet black.

Could these be Panaeolus olivaceus (syn. Panaeolus castaneifolius) Which are being misidentified as Panaeolina foenisecii?

Maybe panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus are common in these areas, and are frequently misidentified as Panaeolina foenisecii...

Is there some hybrid of Panaeolina foenisecii with Panaeolus olivaceus or panaeolus cinctulus that exists commonly in Denver as well as the other areas where psilocybin was found in these species?

Or maybe Panaeolina foenisecii, panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus can all be found growing together frequently, giving the harvesters what appears to be a single species, but which may in fact be up to 3 species.

Which leads me to my next point, if Panaeolina foenisecii, panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus could all be found growing in the same area at the same time, could it be possible that the panaeolus cinctulus (and/or Panaeolus olivaceus) mycellium is passing active tryptamine compounds to the Panaeolina foenisecii mycellium via hyphae? Water and nutrients can be transferred via hyphae, and the active tryptamine compounds are water soluble...

I think there is something going on here, but I'm not sure exactly what...

Any way, I found some great information relating to the psychoactivity of Panaeolina foenisecii, for the Full text visit the link.

Quote:
Panaeolina foenisecii was first investigated for the presence of indole compounds by Tyler and Smith (1963). They detected no psilocybin or psilocin in the specimens they analyzed, but did report the occurrence of 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin), along with 5-hydroxytryptophan, and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid. Two years later, Holden (1965) reported a suspected poisoning in a young English boy who became ill with tachycardia and mydriasis after allegedly consuming Panaeolina foenisecii). Specimens of the fungus collected in England and examined by Holden in 1969, contained no detectable psilocybin or psilocin (Mantle & Waight 1969).

Ola'h (1968a; 1968b; 1969; 1970) studied this species and described it as being 'latent psilocybian' (i.e., only producing these compounds sporadically). Robbers et al. (1969), reported detection of psilocybin in two collections of P. foenisecii, -- one from Lafayette, Indiana, and another from Quebec, Canada. A third collection of the fungus, from Seattle, Washington, did not contain psilocybin.

In 1972 Fiusello and Ceruti-Scurti reported analysis of an Italian collection of P. foenisecii and found psilocybin present in one of two samples. Specimens collected during the spring of 1972 in Seattle, Washington tested negative (Enos 1972; Brolyn 1990). Later that same year, Miller (1972) commented on a case of poisoning that occurred earlier in 1966, in which this fungus was eaten by a four year old boy who "...was rendered comatose for a short time." Two years later, Southcott (1974) reported the above cited Australian case.

Although much earlier, Cleland (1934) first recorded the presence of the "haymaker's mushroom" in Australia, he identified the fungus as Psilocybe foenisecii (Pers.) Fr. (the Latin name Foenisecia, means "Hay-harvest). Cleland made no mention regarding the species toxicity or edibility.

Specimens of P. foenisecii collected near Canberra, Australia were analyzed by R.W. Rickards (cf. Southcott 1974) and were reported as being psilocybin negative. Ott (1976), citing Robbers et al. (1969) as his source, noted that P. foenisecii specimens from Ontario and Indiana were tested as psilocybin positive. The specimens referred to above were actually collected in Quebec and Indiana. Ott (1974-1975) later mentioned that he himself ingested a large number of the "haymaker's mushroom collected near Olympia, Washington; he reported no noticeable effects.

Pollock (1976) based the following statement on a study by Ola'h (1970) involving five samples of P. foenisecii (four from Quebec and one from Paris); "two from Quebec contained both psilocybin and psilocin, whereas the one from Paris and one of the two other samples from Quebec contained psilocybin."

Ott and Guzman (1976) carried out further investigations regarding the production of psilocybin and psilocin in P. foenisecii. They analyzed specimens from the Federal District of Mexico and found them to be void of psilocybin. Ott and Pollock (Guzman et al. 1976) also collected specimens of P. foenisecii from Oregon in 1975. No psilocybin was detected.

Haard and Haard (1975) suggested that psilocybin and psilocin are only found in this fungus in the United States on the East Coast; while Menser (1977) noted that "Western analyses have often shown the presence of psilocybin (but not psilocin) in small amounts only" (the authors of the present study found no reference verifying either Menser's or Haard and Haard's claims). Singer (197Cool also ingested "raw" specimens of this species. He reported no "psychotropic" effects whatsoever. Subsequent chemical analysis of P. foenisecii by Singer (1991, Pers. Comm.) was negative. Arora (1979), believing this species to be harmless, stated that the " 'chemical analysis have revealed traces of psilocybin in certain strains, but [the] material I tested was inactive."

Watling (1979) collected specimens of Panaeolina foenisecii in 1974 from Western Australia. He described the suspected poisoning of a two year old girl in Australia (the case originally reported by Southcott in 1974; see case history no. 3 above). Watling briefly mentioned Holden's (1965) report of an alleged poisoning of a three year old child in Great Britain, and argued that "because of its wide spread distribution, and its frequency on lawns and in parks P. foenisecii is likely to cause poisonings, especially in young children."

Cooles (1980) reported that three teen-agers in the British Isles sought emergency treatment after each had allegedly consumed between 20 to 30 mushrooms. The mushrooms in this case were reported to be Panaeolina foenisecii; however, all three patients displayed symptoms of visual disturbances which included "euphoria and hallucinations of color and speed of movements such that lawns developed patches of brilliant colors and cars moved frighteningly fast." It is possible that these three young teen-agers may have consumed some specimens of Panaeolina foenisecii; but the symptoms described are similar to those associated with the ingestion of Psilocybe species (i.e., P. semilanceata (Fr. ex Secr.) Kumm., which is native to the British Isles, and P. cubensis (Earle) Singer, a commonly ingested psychoactive species which is not indigenous to these islands, but can be grown indoors clandestinely). In 1982, Beug and Bigwood published their analysis of two collections of Psathyrella foenisecii (syn, P. foenisecii) collected in 1978 from the Pacific Northwest. They reported the fungus specimens to be void of any psilocybin or psilocin.

Christiansen, Rasmussen, and Holland (1984) analyzed Norwegian specimens of Panaeolina collected from a lawn in September of 1982 and detected no indole compounds. Stijve, Hischenhuber, and Ashley (1984) "...are of the opinion that P. foenisecii cannot contain psilocybin or psilocin at all." These scientists came to this conclusion after analyzing 16 different collections of P. foenisecii from 8 countries, including Australia, the United States and six in Europe. Specimens analyzed for possible indole compounds were collected over an eleven year period (1973-1982). Stijve, Hischenhuber, and Ashley also conducted controlled laboratory experiments with human volunteers to test the possible effects of P. foenisecii; however, "...even the equivalent of 40 gm of fresh mushrooms failed to produce any psychotropic effect." Gartz (1985) reported that his study and analysis of 100 specimens of P. foenisecii were psilocybin negative. More recently Ohenoja et al. (1987) detected psilocybin (0.03)% in two separate dried specimens collected in Finland.

In 1977, Allen (1988a) collected a species of Panaeolina in Oxnard, California which macroscopically resembled P. foenisecii; later, Allen bioassayed this species and found that the mushrooms (40 fresh specimens weighing 52 gm) were definitely psychoactive. No voucher specimens were saved for examination. It is possible that the specimens collected in this case were misidentified by Allen and were actually Panaeolus castaneifolius (Murr.) Ola'h=Panaeolina castaneifolius (Murr.) Smith, or a similar related variety of Panaeolus. Allen (1988b) also reported that two elderly ladies were intoxicated by Panaeolina foenisecii in Portland, Oregon.

According to a recent study by Young (198Cool "...chromatographic analysis of Australian Material (Panaeolina foenisecii) has not yet demonstrated the presence of any psilocybin in this species."

Based on his personal ingestion of the fungus, John Leonard (1989, Pers. Comm.), a resident of Hingham, Massachusetts, claimed that Panaeolina foenisecii collected on his own front lawn was psychoactive in large quantity. Voucher specimens of Leonard's 1985 collection have been deposited at the Bishop Herbarium in Honolulu, Hawaii for scientific examination (1989. 363. Sheet # 580325. May-June 1985. Plymouth, Mass.). Two other collections of Leonard's specimens were forwarded to Dr. T. Stijve in Switzerland for study. Botanical identity was confirmed and chemical properties were established. Both collections of the fungi were analyzed by High Performance Liquid Chromatography and by High Performance Thin Layered Chromatography with identical results (see Fig. 2). Comparative analyses using specimens of Copelandia cyanescens from the Hawaiian Islands shows that both of Leonard's collections of Panaeolina foenisecii from Massachusetts contain characteristic compounds of Panaeolus species. These include urea, serotonin and its precursor 5-hydroxytryptophan. Although tryptophan might also present, there is definitely no psilocybin or psilocin, (i.e., 0.01% dry weight). Also the absence of bufotonin (5-hydroxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine) suggests that the fungi is not able to methylate serotonin (Stijve et al., 1984). The results in figure 2 show the difference.

Recently a popular American publication devoted to the drug subculture featured a pictorial which described Panaeolina foenisecii as a common psychoactive fungi (Brolyn 1990).

https://www.erowid.org/p...mushrooms_article4.shtml

Quote:
Although there is no recorded medical use of Panaeolina foenisecii in the literature, over the years one of the authors (JWA) has been informed by several people who have experimented with this fungi. According to some of these informants Panaeolina foenisecii does produce some symptoms of relaxation, including a tranquil feeling of well being. This may be caused by some of the various tryptamine alkaloids, including 5-hydroxytryptophan, which are known to occur in various species of mushrooms producing psilocybin and/or psilocin.
https://www.erowid.org/p...mushrooms_article4.shtml

I've taken 5-hydroxytryptophan supplements, and they do produce a state of "butterflies in the stomach", tiredness, and other states related to serotonin, combined with the 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, these compounds could be responsible for the mild psychoactive effects reported from Panaeolina foenisecii (as I explained above the water loving polar free hydroxyl group at position 5 should prevent serotonin passage past the brains maginot line (BBB), coupled with amenability to deamination from MAO due to the open amine nitrogen off the ethyl side chain, serotonin will produce no effect when taken orally) (another interesting point, when one places a methyl (ch3) group at position 5 and another methyl off the alpha carbon (next to the amine nitrogen), you would have protected serotonin from MAO and allowed it passage through the blood brain barrier, the resulting compound is alpha-0-dimethyl-serotonin, one of the most potent tryptamine psychedelic a known)

However, I feel there's more than 5-HTP and it's homologues playing a role here, I've listed my three or four possible explanations, but still, very few answers...

Once I can organize my research a little better I may eventually provide some answers to these questions...

Sorry for not editing out the little faces, when an 8 is next to a ) in copied and pasted text, it's leaves a little face, it's tedious and time consuming to edit them out, I apologize.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#23 Posted : 6/13/2016 5:49:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm thinking it may be Panaeolus castaneifolius...

The spores even resemble what I have been seeing...

The first image is of Panaeolus olivaceus spores, the second is of panaeolus cinctulus spores...

Quote:
Panaeolus olivaceus grows scattered to gregariously in rich grassy areas, from late summer through December, across North and South America, likely more widely distributed; it has been collected in the U.S. states of Washington, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Canada's Quebec and in the United Kingdom. -Wikipedia

This species is also known in denver, as listed by Gastón Guzmán, John W. Allen and Jochen Gartz "A Worldwide Geographical Distribution of the Neurotropic Fungi"
http://www.google.com/ur...p5WGaG7IP5iMkD9DNCgpjxpA

It may be that Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus olivaceus, and Panaeolina foenisecii all commonly grow together, so all three species are being harvested, and are being mistaken as a single species, or if these three mushrooms are growing together, psychedelic tryptamine compounds could be transferred between the mycellium of each species via hyphae...

Ok, I feel like I getting repetitive, so, back to doing research.

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
220px-Panaeolus_castaneifolius.spores.jpg (11kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
167px-Panaeolus_subbalteatus.spores.jpg (13kb) downloaded 112 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#24 Posted : 6/14/2016 2:08:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Now I'm more certain than ever that when a person goes to harvest pan cinct or pan foe that they are likely obtaining a mixture of several common grass panaeolus species.

I have been able to potentially identify Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus castaneifolius, panaeolus cinctulus, and Panaeolina foenisecii I'm my collections.

Even my "conjoined twin" mushroom was likely Panaeolus fimicola (pictures attached)

There is a complex situation here, I believe it involves very similar species growing in the same place at the same time, if these species mycellium is interacting, it could be passing psilocybin via hyphae between species...

...or when a person harvests these mushrooms, they are harvesting 3 or more similar species and confusing it for a single species...

Maybe these mushrooms seem so common because it is in fact 3 or more common species growing together...

Maybe this could explain my research results, where I believed I was harvesting Panaeolina foenisecii or Panaeolus cinctulus I was actually harvesting a mixture of Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus olivaceus, Panaeolus fimicola and Panaeolina foenisecii.

I've been sorting through recent harvest samples and information to try to see if I can conclusively identify all these species in my collections.

-eg
panaeolus-fimicola5.jpg (29kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465021914000.jpg (204kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464763660000.jpg (241kb) downloaded 106 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#25 Posted : 6/14/2016 2:13:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis
#26 Posted : 6/15/2016 12:23:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok, I think I have got this figured out.

From the community garden I'm likely harvesting panaeolus cinctulus fungi with some possible Panaeolus fimicola and Panaeolus castaneifolius samples mixed in. All 3 of these species physically resemble each other, and all have various appearances at various stages, they all have black spore prints, and the spores all microscopically resemble each other... I'm just a hobby mycology enthusiast, so I can't say anything for sure, except that I have one of these three species, as the mushrooms harvested from the community garden were active when bioassayed.

I've never bioassayed anything from the lawn, but I have been collecting these And putting them in the Panaeolina foenisecii category, simply because they appear very much like Panaeolina foenisecii, they do have very dark spore prints, almost black, but there's a brownish tint to it, so the location, appearance, and blackish-brown spore print made me label these as Panaeolina foenisecii.

Panaeolus is a class of LBM which I have gotten to know quite well, and I have been able to successfully collect many field samples of the panaeolina and panaeolus genus fungi, though when it comes to to making distinctions with in this genus(s) (outside of the brown panaeolina spores VS the black/purple panaeolus spores in spore print, which can be difficult to distinguish at times as well) all I can say is that I'm going to need a better microscope...

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465022191000.jpg (318kb) downloaded 97 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#27 Posted : 6/16/2016 11:55:34 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Great that you've made this thread because today I've logged in specially to report that I'm RIGHT NOW experiencing mild but unmistakeable activity from Panaeolina foeniscecii gathered from parkland in my area (UK, Yorkshire). Normally I ignore these mushrooms but recent weather conditions have brought on a bumper crop, (as well as producing vigorous growth in local grassy patches - the upshot of this being several mowings in the past few weeks which probably gives our dear fungi plenty to eat) and for some reason those little fellas were calling out to me as they are sometimes wont to do.

I picked a good handful of specimens while strolling through the park this afternoon - it was quite difficult to avoid stepping on them. They were taken home for cleaning, inspection and photographing. Then they went in the pot. There were about 60-70 specimens in all, of various ages and sizes. Mostly I had picked nicer-looking, younger specimens. About 300mL of boling water was added and brought to a vigorous boil for a couple of minutes. The heat was then turned down and the mushrooms were simmered for a further ten minutes before turning off the heat and straining into a mug.

By the time the brew had cooled to drinking temperature I had eaten half a pizza and a plate of salad, so I wasn't starting from an empty stomach but neither was it an especially heavy meal. I added a dash of soya milk to the brew (at this point I decided to pretend it was just a cup of tea for whatever reason!) and took a sip. The taste was pretty unappealling, that yucky mushroom flavour a bit like the smell of wet dog. Thus I added 12 drops of nutmeg tincture, partly to cover up the foul taste and partly to potentiate anything psilly that might be in there. Then I gulped it down. Instead of just horrid it now tasted weird as well.

Now, before anyone else points this out, yes, the nutmeg will have contributed to the subjective effects but I'm sufficiently experienced in both nutmeg and mushrooms - separately and together - to be able to tell that the effects I'm now feeling are almost certainly due to the presence of psilocin or something very similar in the mix.

And those effects are particularly defined in their psilliness (as opposed to mere nutmeggery) through that particular somatic feel which is unmistakably due to the mushrooms. Music sounds particularly good and the excitement of having found activity in P. foenisecii is compounded nicely by, er, having found activity in P. foenisecii. It's now four hours since ingestion and effects have been building slowly after taking a bit less than an hour to come on. There's not much in the way of visuals though, so I'd be prepared to accept that the nutmeg has potentiated something besides psilocin in the mushrooms. Thus a follow-up experiment without the nutmeg would be in order.

All that being said, I do feel rather good right now. I would rather have eaten less food prior to this experiment as its progress from my stomach into my intestines has become a little uncomfortable while typing here. Fortunately the cup of peppermint tea I happen to have made should help soothe things a bit. Somatic tinglings are very much in evidence in a most pleasant way. Could this be connected to the 5-HTP and serotonin content of the mushrooms?

Effects are building up a little more and it's getting more difficult to type accurately. So I'll be off for a wee lie down shortly. (And a wee, there are diuretic effects from this!) By the way, the mushrooms were extracted with a further 2x 150mL boiling water with a brief simmer each time; the two strained extractions were combined and flavoured with a teaspoon of mugi miso, which is rather better than the previous choice but still the mushrooms have an intrinsically non-culinary kind of flavour. This was maybe 3 hours ago by now.

tldr; haymakers picked and boiled in water. Brew drunk with a bit of nutmeg tincture. They work. Food slows onset of action.

To be continued...?

Disclaimer: It's probably a bit dangerous to combine nutmeg with Panaeolus spp. so don't do it. I.e. I don't think we know much about this combination so large quantities in particular should be avoided.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

downwardsfromzero
#28 Posted : 6/17/2016 12:17:01 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Just reading the John W. Allen quote:
Quote:
I began to realize that these mushrooms just might possess some sort of celestial energy. It was as if they were telepathic and speaking to me in a language which only they and I knew. Somehow I could feel their aura and I knew that they had been calling me from afar to come and visit them. They were inviting me to their home so that I could experience all that they were. Inviting me to pick them from their habitat which they knew so well.

It was like this in the past couple of days whereas normally I ignore them P. foenisecii. Mushrooms/fungi in general totally are telepathic, however Wink

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

entheogenic-gnosis
#29 Posted : 6/22/2016 5:08:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Looks like these little guys are about gone until fall, I may see one or two scattered here or there still lurking around, but for the most part it looks like The peak of the spring harvest has long passed, and it's very little until fall.

A productive season none the less, I obtain large quantities of samples.

I always record in a notebook (and photograph the field and location of harvest) the exact time and date they were harvested, the exact location, the material they were found growing on, as well as the weather conditions, temperature and humidity at the time of harvest.

Next I return home with the samples, which are set out on plates or trays and photographed, then spore prints are taken from a number of selected caps. these spore prints are on aluminum-foil, and are stored with record of the sample batch it was derived from, they are stored in proper conditions.

Next the mushrooms are air-dried and placed in air-tight plastic bags when fully dry. The bags are then stored in a locked box, which is air-tight and water-proof, it is kept in a safe and cool location.

I have four years of harvests in storage.

When I decide to move forward with any research in this area I will all ready be well prepared, and have access to four years of meticulously catalogued samples for analysis.

Any way, spring harvest is over, these mushrooms will become fairly scarce until fall, though they can still be found in scattered locations throughout the summer.

Quote:
Panaeolus subbalteatus is an entheogenic fungi which contains the psychomimetic indole alkaloids psilocybin, psilocin and baeocystin. Historically, this fungi is referred to as the "Weed Panaeolus." According to the late mycologists, Dr. Rolf Singer and Dr. Alexander H. Smith, it is "one of a number of weed fungi [like crab grass is to grass] found spontaneously like weeds in beds of the cultivated commercial white mushroom Agaricus bisporis [your common grocery store mushroom or champignon as the French refer to them]." During the past 100 years Panaeolus subbalteatus has been referred to by many different binomials, including the "poisonous mushroom" Panaeolus venenosus. Other mycologists have named it Panaeolus rufus, Panaeolus semigloblatus, and Panaeolus variabilis and some lame Europeans have referred to it as Panaeolus benanosis. It may even be conspecific with Panaeolus papillionaceus. The latter species is also referred to as the "butterfly" mushroom.

Since the early 1900's, numerous intoxications occurred when P. subbalteatus was accidently consumed as an edible variety. Early reports regarding accidental inebriations from Panaeolus species date back to the Chin dynasty (2nd century a.d.) and the 11th century in Japan. Many ancient Chinese herbal medicine books list Panaeolus species as the cause of a laughing sickness and describe cures under the heading of "Cures for the laughing sickness." A remedy for this laughing malady requires a potion consisting of an infusion of water which has been filtered through top soil. The inflicted party would drink the potion to alleviate the intense laughter after accidently or purposely ingesting psilocybian fungi.

Panaeolus subbalteatus is a cosmopolitan species found all over the world. It is common in the dung of cattle and composting hay and/or haystacks. Other habitats include lawns, open fields and riding stables. Its season extends from late February through early June and again in August and September. P. subbalteatus fruits abundantly in rotted haystacks in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. In the Hawaiian archipelago, P. subbalteatus is abundant in cow manure at the 3000 foot elevation above and below Kula highway on Maui Island.

https://www.erowid.org/p...ushrooms_article1.shtml.

-eg

PsilocybeChild
#30 Posted : 6/24/2016 12:04:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Panaeolina foenisecii might be the most perfect mushroom for shroomahuasca.

I just tried smoking about 150 mg of 5-HTP and also plugged 110mg of 5-htp, so as to bypass MAO. It's a very clean gentle psychedelic-like clarity kind of headspace. I figure oral dosages more along the lines of 200-300 mg would be better, to interlock with, and bipass MAO would be better than typical dosages of 50-100mg. I was looking for psychedelic potential and it's nice, pretty perfect. Like the gentlest dmt lift.

If you don't think 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is active, but you do feel that Panaeolina foeniseci is active and hallucinogenic, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid might be more at play here than you think; it could even possibly work as an MAOi substrate to allow psilocin from Panaeolina foenisecii' mycelium that has transferred into Panaeolina foenisecii to help become orally active. Maybe that is why they grow together.

Panaeolina foenisecii is like the little brother learning how to become psychedelic from it's older brother, Panaeolina foenisecii; And so they work together Smile ?

EDIT: ahh, but hmmm, if 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid doesn't have a nitrogen, it's probably not an MAO substrate but has effects similar to 5-HTP on it's own?
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

entheogenic-gnosis
#31 Posted : 6/24/2016 1:32:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Great that you've made this thread because today I've logged in specially to report that I'm RIGHT NOW experiencing mild but unmistakeable activity from Panaeolina foeniscecii gathered from parkland in my area (UK, Yorkshire). Normally I ignore these mushrooms but recent weather conditions have brought on a bumper crop, (as well as producing vigorous growth in local grassy patches - the upshot of this being several mowings in the past few weeks which probably gives our dear fungi plenty to eat) and for some reason those little fellas were calling out to me as they are sometimes wont to do.

I picked a good handful of specimens while strolling through the park this afternoon - it was quite difficult to avoid stepping on them. They were taken home for cleaning, inspection and photographing. Then they went in the pot. There were about 60-70 specimens in all, of various ages and sizes. Mostly I had picked nicer-looking, younger specimens. About 300mL of boling water was added and brought to a vigorous boil for a couple of minutes. The heat was then turned down and the mushrooms were simmered for a further ten minutes before turning off the heat and straining into a mug.

By the time the brew had cooled to drinking temperature I had eaten half a pizza and a plate of salad, so I wasn't starting from an empty stomach but neither was it an especially heavy meal. I added a dash of soya milk to the brew (at this point I decided to pretend it was just a cup of tea for whatever reason!) and took a sip. The taste was pretty unappealling, that yucky mushroom flavour a bit like the smell of wet dog. Thus I added 12 drops of nutmeg tincture, partly to cover up the foul taste and partly to potentiate anything psilly that might be in there. Then I gulped it down. Instead of just horrid it now tasted weird as well.

Now, before anyone else points this out, yes, the nutmeg will have contributed to the subjective effects but I'm sufficiently experienced in both nutmeg and mushrooms - separately and together - to be able to tell that the effects I'm now feeling are almost certainly due to the presence of psilocin or something very similar in the mix.

And those effects are particularly defined in their psilliness (as opposed to mere nutmeggery) through that particular somatic feel which is unmistakably due to the mushrooms. Music sounds particularly good and the excitement of having found activity in P. foenisecii is compounded nicely by, er, having found activity in P. foenisecii. It's now four hours since ingestion and effects have been building slowly after taking a bit less than an hour to come on. There's not much in the way of visuals though, so I'd be prepared to accept that the nutmeg has potentiated something besides psilocin in the mushrooms. Thus a follow-up experiment without the nutmeg would be in order.

All that being said, I do feel rather good right now. I would rather have eaten less food prior to this experiment as its progress from my stomach into my intestines has become a little uncomfortable while typing here. Fortunately the cup of peppermint tea I happen to have made should help soothe things a bit. Somatic tinglings are very much in evidence in a most pleasant way. Could this be connected to the 5-HTP and serotonin content of the mushrooms?

Effects are building up a little more and it's getting more difficult to type accurately. So I'll be off for a wee lie down shortly. (And a wee, there are diuretic effects from this!) By the way, the mushrooms were extracted with a further 2x 150mL boiling water with a brief simmer each time; the two strained extractions were combined and flavoured with a teaspoon of mugi miso, which is rather better than the previous choice but still the mushrooms have an intrinsically non-culinary kind of flavour. This was maybe 3 hours ago by now.

tldr; haymakers picked and boiled in water. Brew drunk with a bit of nutmeg tincture. They work. Food slows onset of action.

To be continued...?

Disclaimer: It's probably a bit dangerous to combine nutmeg with Panaeolus spp. so don't do it. I.e. I don't think we know much about this combination so large quantities in particular should be avoided.

I JUST SAW the first line of this!

And I'm excited, so much so I posted before I finished reading!

Finally an anecdote regarding pan. Foe!

I'm going to read the rest now, sorry for jumping into a reply, now I feel bad for neglecting this thread...

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#32 Posted : 6/24/2016 2:11:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Just reading the John W. Allen quote:
Quote:
I began to realize that these mushrooms just might possess some sort of celestial energy. It was as if they were telepathic and speaking to me in a language which only they and I knew. Somehow I could feel their aura and I knew that they had been calling me from afar to come and visit them. They were inviting me to their home so that I could experience all that they were. Inviting me to pick them from their habitat which they knew so well.

It was like this in the past couple of days whereas normally I ignore them P. foenisecii. Mushrooms/fungi in general totally are telepathic, however Wink

Did you take a spore print?

I'm still of the opinion that it's either misidentification, meaning that Panaeolus olivaceus, Panaeolina castaneifolia, and Panaeolus fimicola are mixed in these harvests and mistaken for Panaeolina foeniscecii...

·Or, that people are mistaking are mistaking the effects of 5-hydroxy-tryptophan for being a mild psychedelic experiance. Panaeolina foeniscecii contains serotonin*, 5-HTP* and *5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.

*5-hydroxy-tryptophan can cause "butterflies" in the stomach, Facial flushing, "serotonin syndrome like effects", drowsiness, nausea, sedation, vivid dreams or nightmares, and muscle problems.
I have taken 5-HTP as a supplement, as a pure compound, the physical and psychoactive effects are very real, and may account for the anecdotes claiming psychedelia, the subjects were confusing a serotonin related syndrome for a mild psychedelic experiance.

*Serotonin is not active orally, the hydroxyl group at position 5 is a big polar hydrophilic "lump" that should prevent passage through the brains defensive maginot line (blood brain barrier), then the exposed amino group at the end of the ethyl side side makes the compound amenable to deamination by mono amine oxidase enzymes, so serotonin is not orally active.
(Though when one places a methyl group on the HO group at 5, and a methyl group to the alpha carbon of the ethyl side chain, one gets alpha-O-Dimethyl-serotonin, one of the most potent tryptamine psychedelics known)

*5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is a metabolite of serotonin, it is used in medicine to determine serotonin levels, I'm not certain as to the potential pharmacological potentials of this compound, though I am certain it's not psychedelic in as ny sense.

So, it appears that 5-HTP would be the main culprit in the mushrooms psychoactivity...

Quote:
Based on his personal ingestion of the fungus, John Leonard (1989, Pers. Comm.), a resident of Hingham, Massachusetts, claimed that Panaeolina foenisecii collected on his own front lawn was psychoactive in large quantity. Voucher specimens of Leonard's 1985 collection have been deposited at the Bishop Herbarium in Honolulu, Hawaii for scientific examination (1989. 363. Sheet # 580325. May-June 1985. Plymouth, Mass.). Two other collections of Leonard's specimens were forwarded to Dr. T. Stijve in Switzerland for study. Botanical identity was confirmed and chemical properties were established. Both collections of the fungi were analyzed by High Performance Liquid Chromatography and by High Performance Thin Layered Chromatography with identical results (see Fig. 2). Comparative analyses using specimens of Copelandia cyanescens from the Hawaiian Islands shows that both of Leonard's collections of Panaeolina foenisecii from Massachusetts contain characteristic compounds of Panaeolus species. These include urea, serotonin and its precursor 5-hydroxytryptophan. Although tryptophan might also present, there is definitely no psilocybin or psilocin, (i.e., 0.01% dry weight). Also the absence of bufotonin (5-hydroxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine) suggests that the fungi is not able to methylate serotonin (Stijve et al., 1984). The results in figure 2 show the differenc

·Or, Panaeolus olivaceus, Panaeolina castaneifolia, and Panaeolus fimicola, all growing in the same environment, are passing active compounds through hyphae, the Panaeolina foeniscecii mycellium is interacting with the mycellium of the active species growing in the same place at the same time, water and nutrients are passed through hyphae, and the active tryptamine are water soluble...

·Or it could be a combination of all of the above.

My best guess is misidentification, Panaeolina foeniscecii looks like and grows with Panaeolus olivaceus, Panaeolina castaneifolia, and Panaeolus fimicola, they grow in the same season, at the same time, on the same substrate...though if they are all growing together, than the hyphae of the active species mycellium could be transferring actives to the mycellium of the inactive species...

Regardless, how certain are you that you had Panaeolina foenisecii?

Spore print? Microscopic examination of the spores?

Thank you for the anecdote! This was much appreciated! There is SOMETHING going on here, as to what...it's hard to.say, but every bit of evidence counts!

Thanks again,

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#33 Posted : 6/24/2016 2:28:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

PsilocybeChild wrote:
Panaeolina foenisecii might be the most perfect mushroom for shroomahuasca.

I just tried smoking about 150 mg of 5-HTP and also plugged 110mg of 5-htp, so as to bypass MAO. It's a very clean gentle psychedelic-like clarity kind of headspace. I figure oral dosages more along the lines of 200-300 mg would be better, to interlock with, and bipass MAO would be better than typical dosages of 50-100mg. I was looking for psychedelic potential and it's nice, pretty perfect. Like the gentlest dmt lift.

If you don't think 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is active, but you do feel that Panaeolina foeniseci is active and hallucinogenic, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid might be more at play here than you think; it could even possibly work as an MAOi substrate to allow psilocin from Panaeolina foenisecii' mycelium that has transferred into Panaeolina foenisecii to help become orally active. Maybe that is why they grow together.

Panaeolina foenisecii is like the little brother learning how to become psychedelic from it's older brother, Panaeolina foenisecii; And so they work together Smile ?

EDIT: ahh, but hmmm, if 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid doesn't have a nitrogen, it's probably not an MAO substrate but has effects similar to 5-HTP on it's own?

I would not take Panaeolina foenisecii with an MAOI unless your ready for a pretty heavy and potentially fatal Serotonin syndrom.

5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5HIAA) is the metabolization product of serotonin, when mono amine oxidase enzymes interact with these tryptamine compounds, the MAO deaminates them, the mono amine oxidase enzymes remove the amine nitrogen of serotonin to give 5-hydroxyindoleacetic.

In my last post I elucidated the potential possibilities of what may be going on here.

I love your enthusiasm for this fungi though, Panaeolina foenisecii is a fascinating species, and psychedelic or not, this little tryptamine producing fungi still holds a place in my heart, and I'm glad to see others are taking a similar interest.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#34 Posted : 6/24/2016 2:39:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I can't wait for these little guys to come back in fall, I really have not seen many around, which lets me know that just like every other season, these guys have a spring "boom", then remain rare until fall...

I'm glad I collected as many specimens as I could...

I have taken spores from my spore prints, put them into a water solution, which was then loaded into a spore syringe, and I then injected the manure rich soil, compost, and grassy areas around my harvesting location (community garden) with these spores...all though mushrooms do spring up from these locations, I'm still uncertain as to whether my spore inoculation was responsible, or if they would have came up in that location any way...I only inoculate my known harvest spots, so I'm sure the fungi would be there regardless, but it's an interesting practice that may contribute to my harvests.

-eg

PsilocybeChild
#35 Posted : 6/24/2016 7:34:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I would not take Panaeolina foenisecii with an MAOI unless your ready for a pretty heavy and potentially fatal Serotonin syndrome.

ahh, I keep forgetting to think about this. I was imagining a way for 5-HTP or 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid to bipass MAOi and become psychedelic, but that would be dangerous.

I attempted plugging and smoking 5-HTP to bipass MAOi, which produced euphoric gentle clarity, with a bit of cardiovascular constriction. I guess I would not want to venture higher in dosage.

@downwardsfromzero, I would not boil the mushrooms, it will reduce potency. Bring the water to a boil and when it is about ready to be able to be drunk without burning, then add the mushrooms. Chop up finely beforehand to help the extraction process.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

downwardsfromzero
#36 Posted : 6/24/2016 10:40:56 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:

Well, no although I'm exceedingly confident in the ID because of the brownish-black gills, small stature, and the fact that it was easily distinguishable from the far less common [i]Panaeolus[/] specimens with clearly black spores such that even a seven-year-old could tell them apart (and did so). I have further specimens frozen which I could attempt to rescue for spores. The black-spored specimen was spore-printed.

In retrospect, it's a tough call to say what the activity was. It may be useful to combine an estimated equivalent amount of 5-HTP with a low dose of the nutmeg tincture to see if the subjective effect can be replicated, although I'm laying off the nutmeg for now. Also, the mushroom tea was really rather unpleasant and thought of a higher dose is quite stomach-churning (especially considering I've had some even more revolting cactus tea since. I need a break from these foul liquids! The gods must be laughing their omnipresent socks off...)

Doesn't it seem that the 5-HIAA could act as a metabolic inhibitor of tryptamine/serotonin oxidation because the presence of the oxidation product affects equilibrium conditions?

@PsilocybeChild: Thanks, but I'd rather be sure of destroying pathogens and parasites, given the location! The method you describe is much like the one I'd use for more quality-assured fungi, except I do a blanch with freshly boiled water prior to chopping in order to inactivate destructive enzymes.

downwardsfromzero
#37 Posted : 6/24/2016 10:41:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, no although I'm exceedingly confident in the ID because of the brownish-black gills, small stature, and the fact that it was easily distinguishable from the far less common Panaeolus specimens with clearly black spores such that even a seven-year-old could tell them apart (and did so). I have further specimens frozen which I could attempt to rescue for spores. The black-spored specimen was spore-printed.

In retrospect, it's a tough call to say what the activity was. It may be useful to combine an estimated equivalent amount of 5-HTP with a low dose of the nutmeg tincture to see if the subjective effect can be replicated, although I'm laying off the nutmeg for now. Also, the mushroom tea was really rather unpleasant and thought of a higher dose is quite stomach-churning (especially considering I've had some even more revolting cactus tea since. I need a break from these foul liquids! The gods must be laughing their omnipresent socks off...)

Doesn't it seem that the 5-HIAA could act as a metabolic inhibitor of tryptamine/serotonin oxidation because the presence of the oxidation product affects equilibrium conditions?

@PsilocybeChild: Thanks, but I'd rather be sure of destroying pathogens and parasites, given the location! The method you describe is much like the one I'd use for more quality-assured fungi, except I do a blanch with freshly boiled water prior to chopping in order to inactivate destructive enzymes.

entheogenic-gnosis
#38 Posted : 6/25/2016 3:10:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Well, no although I'm exceedingly confident in the ID because of the brownish-black gills, small stature, and the fact that it was easily distinguishable from the far less common Panaeolus specimens with clearly black spores such that even a seven-year-old could tell them apart (and did so). I have further specimens frozen which I could attempt to rescue for spores. The black-spored specimen was spore-printed.

I was never putting you ability to recognize the fungi in question, or anything like that, it would just be great to get a confirmed intoxication with a spore-print.

I would be willing to bet that 5-HTP and nutmeg tincture or nutmeg extract would produce a rather interesting intoxication, the phenylpropene compounds in nutmeg all resemble psychedelic compounds, only they are all lacking the amine nitrogen...

Sorry this is long, but your dabbling with nutmeg oil reminded me of shulgins essential amphetamines:

Quote:
The spice cabinet is a rich source of chemical treasures, each source plant containing a host of com-pounds, some of which are true essential oils. And the next spice from the next plant has some of the same components and some new ones. Does one organize by plant (spice or herb) or by essential oil (amphetamine)? Let's do it by the ring substitution pattern of the amphetamine, and gather the spices and oils as a secondary collection.

(1) The 4-methoxy pattern. The pivotal essential oil is 4-allylanisole, or methyl chavicol, or estragole (called esdragol in the old literature). This allyl compound is found in turpentine, anise, fennel, bay, tarragon, and basil. Its smell is light, and reminiscent of fennel. The propenyl analogue is called anethole, or anise camphor, and it is found in both anise and camphor. It is a waxy solid, and has a very intense smell of anise or fennel. At low concentrations, it is sweet, as in magnolia blossoms, where it is also found. The drinks that turn cloudy with water dilution (Pernod-like liqueurs, and ouzo and roki), are heavy with it, since it was the natural flavoring in the original absinthe. That drink was very popular in the last century, as an intoxicant which produced an altered state of consciousness beyond that which could be ascribed to alcohol alone. It contained wormwood, which proved to be neurologically damaging. The flavorings, such as anethole, are still big things in synthetic liqueurs such as vermouth. Old anethole, when exposed to air and light, gets thick and sticky and yellowish, and becomes quite disagreeable to taste. Maybe it is polymerizing, or maybe oxidizing to stuff that dimerizes. Whatever. These changes are why old spices in the cabinet are best discarded. And adding ammonia to any of these natural product oils produces, in principle, 4-methoxyamphetamine, 4-MA.

(2) The 3,4-dimethoxy pattern. The main actor here is methyleugenol, or 4-allyl-1,2-dimethoxybenzene. This is located in almost every item in the spice cabinet. It is in citronella, bay (which is laurel, which is myrtle), pimiento, allspice, pepper, tree-tea oil, and on and on. It has a faint smell of cloves, and when dilute is immediately mistaken for carnations. The propenyl analogue is, not unreasonably, methylisoeugenol, a bit more scarce, and seems to always be that little minor peak in any essential oil analysis. The compounds missing that methyl group on the 4-oxygen are famous. The allyl material is eugenol, 4-allylguaiacol, and it is in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sassafras and myrrh. You taste it and it burns. You smell it and think immediately of cloves. And its property as an anesthetic, in the form of a clove, is well known in the folk-treatment of toothaches. Actually, flowers of clove (the gillyflower, like the carnation) are the small, pointy things that decorate baked hams and, when stuck into apples, make pomander balls. This anesthetic property has recently led to a drug abuse fad, called clove cigarettes. Very strong, very flavorful, and very corrosive things from Southeast Asia. The eugenol that is present numbs the throat, and allows many strong cigarettes to be smoked without pain. The propenyl analogue is isoeugenol, with a smell that is subtle but very long lasting, used more in soaps and perfumes than in foods. The amine addition to the methyleugenol world produces 3,4-dimethoxyamphetamine, or 3,4-DMA. The isomer with the other methyl group missing is chavibetol (3-hydroxy-4-methoxyallylbenzene) and is found in the pepper leaf that is used with betel nut. A couple of positional rearrangement isomers of methyleugenol are known in the plant world. The 2,4-isomer is called osmorrhizole, and the conjugated form is isoosmorrhizole or nothosmyrnol; both are found in carrot-like vegetables. They, with ammonia, would give 2,4-DMA. And the 3,5-dimethoxyallylbenzene isomer from artemisia (a pungent herb commonly called mugwort) and from sage, would give rise to 3,5-DMA. This is an unexplored isomer which would be both an antidote for opium as well as a stimulant, if the classical reputation of mugwort is transferred to the amphetamine.

(3) The 3,4-methylenedioxy pattern. One of the most famous essential oils is safrole, or 4-allyl-1,2-methylenedioxybenzene. This is the mainstay of sassafras oil, and it and its conjugated isomer isosafrole have a smell that is immediately familiar: root beer! These are among the most widely distributed essential oils, being present in most of the spices, including the heavies such as cinnamon and nutmeg. I am not aware of the 2,3-isomer ever having been found in nature. Adding ammonia to either would give MDA.

(4) The 3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxy pattern. The parent compound is myristicin, 5-allyl-1-methoxy-2,3-methylenedioxybenzene, and the source of this is nutmeg (or the botanically parallel material, mace). The nutmeg is the seed of the tree Myristica fragrans and mace is the fibrous covering of the seed. The two spices are virtually identical as to their chemical composition. Myristicin and the conjugated isomer isomyristicin are also found in parsley oil, and in dill. This was the oil that was actually shown to be converted to MMDA by the addition of ammonia by passage through an in vitro liver preparation. So here is the major justification for the equation between the essential oils and the Essential Amphetamines. Care must be taken to make an exact distinction between myristicin (this essential oil) and myristin (the fat) which is really trimyristin or glyceryl trimyristate from nutmeg and coconut. This is the fat from myristic acid, the C-14 fatty acid, and these two similar names are often interchanged even in the scientific literature.

(5) The 2-methoxy-3,4-methylenedioxy pattern. This is the second of the three natural methoxy methylenedioxy orientations. Croweacin is 2-methoxy-3,4-methylenedioxyallylbenzene, and it takes its name from the binomial for the plant Eriostemon crowei from the worlds of rue and the citrus plants. It corresponds to the essential amphetamine MMDA-3a. This oil is found in plants of the Family Rutaceae. My memories of this area of botany are of Ruta graveolens, the common rue, whose small leaves smelled to me, for all the world, like cat urine. This plant has always fascinated me because of a most remarkable recipe that I was given by a very, very conservative fellow-club member, one evening, after rehearsal. He told me of a formula that had provided him with the most complete relief from arthritic pain he had ever known. It was a native decoction he had learned of many years eariler, when he was traveling in Mexico. One took equal quantities of three plants, Ruta graveolens (or our common rue), Rosmarinus officinalis (better known as rosemary), and Cannabis sativa (which is recognized in many households simply as marijuana). Three plants all known in folklore, rue as a symbol for repentance, rosemary as a symbol of remembrance, and pot, well, I guess it is a symbol of a lot of things to a lot of people. Anyway, equal quantities of these three plants are allowed to soak in a large quantity of rubbing alcohol for a few weeks. Then the alcoholic extracts are clarified, and allowed to evaporate in the open air to a thick sludge. This then was rubbed on the skin, where the arthritis was troublesome, and always rubbed in the direction of the extremity. It was not into, but onto the body that it was applied. All this from a very conservative Republican friend!

The methoxy-methylenedioxy pattern is also found in nature with the 2,4,5-orientation pattern. The allyl-2,4,5-isomer is called asaricin. It, and its propenyl-isomer, carpacin, are from the Carpano tree which grows in the Solomon Islands. All these plants are used in folk medicine. These two systems, the 2,3,4- and the 2,4,5-orientations, potentially give rise, with ammonia, to MMDA-3a and MMDA-2.

(6) The 3,4,5-trimethoxy pattern. Elemicin is the well studied essential oil, 5-allyl-1,2,3-trimethoxybenzene, primarily from the oil of elemi. It is, like myristicin, a component of the Oil of Nutmeg, but it is also found in several of the Oils of Camphor, and in the resin of the Pili in the Philippines. This tree is the source of the Oil of Elemi. I had found a trace component in nutmeg many years ago that proved to be 5-methoxyeugenol, or elemicin without the 4-methyl group; it is also present in the magnolia plant. The aldehyde that corresponds to this is syringaldehyde, and its prefix has been spun into many natural products. Any natural product with a syring somewhere in it has a hydroxy between two methoxys. The amphetamine base from elemicin or isoelemicin would be TMA, the topic of this very recipe. Cool

(7) The 2,4,5-trimethoxy pattern. There is an essential oil called asarone that is 2,4,5-trimethoxy-1-propenylbenzene. It is the trans- or alpha-isomer, and the cis-isomer is known as beta-asarone. It is the isomerization analogue of the much more rare 1-allyl-2,4,5-trimethoxybenzene, gamma-asarone, or euasarone, or sekishone. Asarone is the major component of Oil of Calamus obtained from the rhizomes of Acorus calamus, the common Sweet Flag that grows wild on the edges of swamps throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. It has been used as a flavoring of liqueurs and, as almost every other plant known to man, has been used as a medicine. In fact, in Manitoba this plant was called Rat-root by the Cree Indians in the Lake Winnipeg area known as New Iceland, and Indian-root by the Icelandic pioneers. It was used externally for the treatment of wounds, and internally for most illnesses. There apparently is no report of central effects. The corresponding propanone, acoramone (or 2,4,5-trimethoxyphenylacetone), is also present in Oil of Calamus. The styrene that corresponds to asarone is found in a number of plants, and is surprisingly toxic to brine shrimp. The older literature describes an allyl-trimethoxy benzene called calamol, but it has never been pinned down as to structure. The isolation of gamma-asarone or euasarone from Oil of Xixin (from wild ginger) has given rise to a potential problem of nomenclature. One of the Genus names associated with wild ginger is Asiasarum which looks very much like the name asarone, which comes from the Genus Acorus. And a second Genus of medical plants also called wild ginger is simply called Asarum. There is an Asarum forbesi from central China, and it is known to give a pleasant smell to the body. And there is Asarum seiboldi which is largely from Korea and Manchuria. It has many medical uses, including the treatment of deafness, epilepsy, and rheumatism. The amphetamine that would arise from this natural treasure chest is TMA-2.

(Cool The 2,5-dimethoxy-3,4-methylenedioxy pattern. The parent allyl benzene is apiole (with a final "e"Pleased or parsley camphor, and it is the major component of parsley seed oil. Its conjugated isomer is called isoapiole, and they are valuable as the chemical precurors to the amination product, DMMDA. Whereas both of these essential oils are white solids, there is a green oily liquid that had been broadly used years ago in medicine, called green, or liquid apiol (without the final "e"Pleased. It comes from the seeds of parsley by ether extraction, and when the chlorophyll has been removed, it is known as yellow apiol. With the fats removed by saponification and distillation, the old term for the medicine was apiolin. I would assume that any of these would give rise to white, crystalline apiole on careful distillation, but I have never tried to do it. The commercial Oil of Parsley is so readily available.

(9) The 2,3-dimethoxy-4,5-methylenedioxy pattern. The second of the three tetraoxygenated essential oils is 1-allyl-2,3-dimethoxy-4,5-methylenedioxybenzene, commonly called dillapiole and it comes, not surprisingly, from the oils of any of the several dill plants around the world. It is a thick, almost colorless liquid, but its isomerization product, isodillapiole, is a white crystalline product which melts sharply. This, by the theoretical addition of ammonia, gives DMMDA-2.

(10) The tetramethoxy pattern. The third and last of the tetra-oxygenated essential oils, is 1-allyl-2,3,4,5-tetramethoxybenzene. This is present as a minor component in the oil of parsley, but it is much more easily obtained by synthesis. It, and its iso-compound, and the amination product, are discussed under the last of theTen Essential Amphetamines, TA.

One must remember that the term "essential" has nothing to do with the meaning of needed, or required. The word's origin is essence, something with an odor or smell. Thus, the essential oils are those oils that have a fragrance, and the Essential Amphetamines are those compounds that can, in principle, be made from them by the addition of ammonia in the body.

There were a few interesting experimental trials that were based on these natural oils. Methoxyeugenol was assayed up to a 10 milligram level, and asarone at up to a 70 milligram level, and neither had any effects at all. And, in an attempt to challenge the "oil-to-amphetamine" concept, I made up a mixture of 1 part MDA, 2 parts TMA and 5 parts MMDA. A total of 100 milligrams of this combination (which I had named the "Pseunut Cocktail" for pseudo-nutmeg) should be equivalent to the safrole, elemicin and myristicin that would be in 5 grams of nutmeg. And 100 milligrams indeed produced quite a sparkle and considerable eye-dilation. But then, I have never taken 5 grams of nutmeg, so I cannot make any comparisons.

As for your questions regarding 5-hiaa, I think this link may be helpful, I could not find a transcription which I could copy and paste in this post, so the link will have to do:

https://books.google.com...AhVh9YMKHUFnAEYQ6AEIGzAA

(Obviously the little faces in the shulgin text were unintentional)

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#39 Posted : 7/3/2016 2:25:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

While wandering through a grassy field this morning I came upon some panaeolus cinctulus or Panaeolina foenisecii fungi, I have yet to perform a spore sprint, so I can't be fully certain as to their ID. (Keep in mind that Panaeolus olivaceus, Panaeolina castaneifolia, and Panaeolus fimicola are near identical to panaeolus cinctulus and very strongly resemble Panaeolina foenisecii. there have been times where I was certain I had one species, but then a sporeprint and a look under the microscope proved I was in error, so I generally refrain from giving my specimens an ID until have done in depth examination, these are probably Panaeolina foenisecii, but I'm hoping they may be panaeolus cinctulus.

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1467270446000.jpg (259kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1467270313000.jpg (274kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1467270424000.jpg (243kb) downloaded 34 time(s).

PREV12