We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Very Easy Spawn-Bag Mushroom TEK W/ Pictures Options

damiana
#21 Posted : 7/13/2011 11:52:44 PM

Cosmic Dragon

closet-chemist1010 wrote:
Thanks damiana, I also had another thought, how about when the substrate is prepared, you prepare a whole bunch extra, once the mycelium growth is sufficient, the mycelium is crumbled up, and sprinkled onto more of the same substrate, just thicker, and then the casing sprinkled on top? Are other people out there using the same substrate for inoculation and fruiting?

This may work. I have heard of others doing this by taking mylinated substrate from those Ball Jars and crumbling them into more substrate (that is pastureland or sterilized [one of the two]) and placing a casing layer on it. That seems to work, but again humidity is a important issue to pay attention to.

Quote:
Thanks for putting this together damiana, it looks really strait forward.

I'll start getting the supplies together soon hopefully and give it a shot.

No problem MC. This is easy and fun, but misting everyday I must admit can be kind of a pain.

That's why SWIM is going to try his own version of the monotub tek.

I'm sure he can get me images for this site. He is off far away where it is legal so he'll have to forward them to me.

He is to busy to post them himself, and I would love to help others get their hands into a new hobby.

Damiana
PEACE

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

christian
#22 Posted : 7/14/2011 8:42:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Excellent post and pics , Damiana. Only 1 thing irritated me was that you didn't use a lighter or coin with the mushy photos as a size reference. A minor quibble on an overall fantastic post....keep on shrooooni'!!Cool
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

closet-chemist1010
#23 Posted : 7/16/2011 1:59:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks damiana,

your tek has helped me understand the growing process, and has led me to come up with some of my own idea's.
and wow, the pictures help a whole lot for people like myself who do not know what to expect, and look for due to lack of experience.

I plan to start my own grow soon, with my own tek/method, which is based on yours

great show! Razz

just another question, in the first spawn bag, the bag is wrapped tightly around the substrate, is this necessary? or could i use an "incubator" style tub with the same substrate?, and add the liquid culture to the substrate inside the incubator?

thanks! hope im not hijacking your thread Sad

damiana
#24 Posted : 7/20/2011 12:31:55 AM

Cosmic Dragon

I'm really not sure what you are asking exactly. Sorry. Can you clarify what an incubator style tub is?

My question to you is, how would you sterilize the substrate if its in a tub?
PEACE

epoe
#25 Posted : 9/12/2013 2:48:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just out of curiosity, why would you cut the tupperware for drying? Wouldn't it be easier to just pour the drying sand (or whatever it is) into the bottom of the box, or is there some specific reason this way is superior?

MagicGing
#26 Posted : 9/12/2013 3:14:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim has never had much luck with a successful LC, however a few things learned would be:

too large of chunks of myc in the LC could clog the syringe

the more surface area exposed by healthy myc in the LC could result in better, or quicker colonization times

both of these could be remedied by putting a decent sized washed glass shard into your LC before pasteurization. give it a nice swirl when one notices the myc getting to large, and it will be cut up.

hope this helps
β€œThe swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

Felnik
#27 Posted : 9/12/2013 3:52:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the name of the game is avoiding contamination through the entire process.
I've had so many unsuccessful indoor grows that
i've resorted to fruting outdoors exclusively. This is limited to the summer months only so careful planning is necessary.

The spawn bags are fantastic for the first phase because they are sealed from air exposure. the fruiting stage gets tricky once you have to allow for fresh air. The question really becomes where in your house is clean enough to prevent mold from contaminating the grow? No matter what an indoor grow is a tough challenge that takes alot of trial and error to perfect.
Mushroom growing is a satisfying and spiritual pursuit that's well worth the effort.

Strange and wonderful things happen when you align yourself as friend and cultivator of the mushroom.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Pup Tentacle
#28 Posted : 9/12/2013 3:58:49 PM

lettuce

Felnik wrote:
Strange and wonderful things happen when you align yourself as friend and cultivator of the mushroom.

Beautifully put Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Yerba
#29 Posted : 9/12/2013 4:39:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Can anyone comment on what the upper limit would be on the amount of substrate in the bag? Obviously your colonization times would increase, but is it possible to do a bag with twice as much BRF/vermiculite? Three times as much?

Does anyone know at what point it is no longer feasible to fruit in the bag, and you'd have to switch to crumbling the mycelium up in a bulk tub?

HumbleTraveler
#30 Posted : 6/28/2014 1:43:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What is the goo on top of the jar?? Vaseline to seal from air?
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

damiana
#31 Posted : 6/28/2014 2:10:23 AM

Cosmic Dragon

@HumbleTraveler

Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant

By Loctite

Quickly closes back so no contaminants in and nothing gets out. Its a seal.
PEACE

damiana
#32 Posted : 6/28/2014 2:12:55 AM

Cosmic Dragon

epoe wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why would you cut the tupperware for drying? Wouldn't it be easier to just pour the drying sand (or whatever it is) into the bottom of the box, or is there some specific reason this way is superior?

Nope, this way is just what I came up with. The concept is the main point here, but if you think of a better way that's great!
PEACE

damiana
#33 Posted : 6/28/2014 2:15:34 AM

Cosmic Dragon

Yerba wrote:
Can anyone comment on what the upper limit would be on the amount of substrate in the bag? Obviously your colonization times would increase, but is it possible to do a bag with twice as much BRF/vermiculite? Three times as much?

Does anyone know at what point it is no longer feasible to fruit in the bag, and you'd have to switch to crumbling the mycelium up in a bulk tub?

Three inches or less in height is optimum in my experience. Otherwise the weight of it and size will be vulnerable to mold.
PEACE

HumbleTraveler
#34 Posted : 6/28/2014 3:08:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahhh solid idea...pun intended haha

Spawn bags: one with injector port and one without. I cant seem to find these on any sites. Any help??
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

damiana
#35 Posted : 6/28/2014 3:31:32 AM

Cosmic Dragon

Yea, eBay my friend.

SWIM sould have posted links to all supplies on original tek, but yea, eBay.

Search for 'mushroom spawn bag.' Injector port not super important if one tapes needle hole ASAP.
PEACE

HumbleTraveler
#36 Posted : 6/30/2014 6:32:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you much Very happy

Smile

Al-Wasi
#37 Posted : 5/25/2015 7:41:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can anyone post about results in using this tek? Seems to me it would be easy to contaminate.

Wanting to give it a shot though as I'm very limited in space.
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

anne halonium
#38 Posted : 5/27/2015 3:24:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i suspect the yields and practicality are evident already in this thread.

there are alot of methods to get fungi growing.....
not all are equal.

as appealing as bags my be in theory,
IMO they dont eclipes container teks,
and, they are contam prone due to bag pressure changes and handling.

im also not wild about the time needed for PC in bags.

"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

Al-Wasi
#39 Posted : 6/10/2015 6:38:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm going to attempt this. But what about rehydrating the mycellium cake before birthing ? All modern variations of the of tek including grow kits utilize this as it's been found to increase flush size. As while the mycellium grows JTS depeltes the cake of water and needs rehydrated before birthing.

Would it be OK to fill the bag with water and let soak for 24 hours or pull the cake out and dunk before placing it into the other bag to birth?

I see no reasons why not. Just thought I'd add that.
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

RhythmSpring
#40 Posted : 6/19/2016 12:49:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone know where the pictures went?
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

PREV12