We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Ayahuasca linked to neurogenesis Options

Limbol
#1 Posted : 6/17/2016 1:33:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ayahuasca stimulates the birth of new brain cells –
latest findings from the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme

Could be worth a read

Link: http://beckleyfoundation...-pau-research-programme/

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 6/17/2016 2:14:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=70677&find=unread

I have read about neurogenesis in relation to DMT, THC, and other entheogens, and I'm fascinated...Though it doesn't surprise me.

I have also been researching therapeutic potentials of DMT and related molecules...

Good link. I have only skimmed through it as of now, but I appreciate the information.

Thanks,

-eg

digitalvygr
#3 Posted : 6/17/2016 7:04:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limbol wrote:
Ayahuasca stimulates the birth of new brain cells –
latest findings from the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme

Could be worth a read

Link: http://beckleyfoundation...-pau-research-programme/

Nice find, thanks.

Biggest bang for the buck seems to be with Tetrahydroharmine... all these kids trying to take nootropics would probably be better off drinking some caapi maybe? :-)

Cognitive Heart
#4 Posted : 6/17/2016 8:04:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
... all these kids trying to take nootropics would probably be better off drinking some caapi maybe? :-)

Possibly. Entheogens aren't for everyone, though. Some nootropics are great sources for generating and improving neurogenesis and general brain health. It's quite incredible and intriguing, however, that ayahuasca is enhancing/affecting growth of fresh neurons. Also, there already exists simple ways of inducing neurogenesis. Here's an interesting and good TED talk on that very subject. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tjKYvEziI
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

digitalvygr
#5 Posted : 6/17/2016 8:42:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart wrote:
Quote:
... all these kids trying to take nootropics would probably be better off drinking some caapi maybe? :-)

Possibly. Entheogens aren't for everyone, though. Some nootropics are great sources for generating and improving neurogenesis and general brain health. It's quite incredible and intriguing, however, that ayahuasca is enhancing/affecting growth of fresh neurons. Also, there already exists simple ways of inducing neurogenesis. Here's an interesting and good TED talk on that very subject. Smile

I was being a bit joking, but really if they take just the Caapi then my assumption is they still get the neurogenesis but without the entheogenic effect of the full brew.

I will check out your video, and yes agreed, in general there are many other ways. Exercise by itself can greatly raise BDNF resulting in neurogenesis, etc.

Orbiting
#6 Posted : 6/17/2016 9:47:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

interesting posts guys, i have recently been researching the actions of Histone Deactelyase Inhibitors and their effect on epigenetics; most notably addiction modulation and attenuation, they have also been shown to increase dentridic prolofieration

"administering histone deacetylase inhibitors induced the sprouting of dendrites, an increased number of synapses, and reinstated learning behaviour and access to long-term memories."
via wikipeida

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17468743

its interesting they seem to be a veritable panacea for brain function and even exert other positive effects on cancer. i postulate they could be a nootrpoic in themselves!

thanks for posting i enjoyed the read and the watch

entheogenic-gnosis
#7 Posted : 6/18/2016 2:35:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

digitalvygr wrote:
Cognitive Heart wrote:
Quote:

I was being a bit joking, but really if they take just the Caapi then my assumption is they still get the neurogenesis but without the entheogenic effect of the full brew.

I will check out your video, and yes agreed, in general there are many other ways. Exercise by itself can greatly raise BDNF resulting in neurogenesis, etc.

It seems when in psychedelic states your brain generates novel neuronal pathways, which it can later recall, so the "Entheogenic effect" May also be key to therapeutic effects...

(As well as the many other pathways potential benefits we have discussed)

Quote:
these data suggest that regular use of psychedelic drugs could potentially lead to structural changes in brain areas supporting attentional processes, self-referential thought, and internal mentation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25637267

Quote:

Long-term use of psychedelic drugs is associated with differences in brain structure and personality in humans.

Abstract
Psychedelic agents have a long history of use by humans for their capacity to induce profound modifications in perception, emotion and cognitive processes. Despite increasing knowledge of the neural mechanisms involved in the acute effects of these drugs, the impact of sustained psychedelic use on the human brain remains largely unknown. Molecular pharmacology studies have shown that psychedelic 5-hydroxytryptamine (5HT)2A agonists stimulate neurotrophic and transcription factors associated with synaptic plasticity. These data suggest that psychedelics could potentially induce structural changes in brain tissue. Here we looked for differences in cortical thickness (CT) in regular users of psychedelics. We obtained magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) images of the brains of 22 regular users of ayahuasca (a preparation whose active principle is the psychedelic 5HT2A agonist N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT)) and 22 controls matched for age, sex, years of education, verbal IQ and fluid IQ. Ayahuasca users showed significant CT differences in midline structures of the brain, with thinning in the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC), a key node of the default mode network. CT values in the PCC were inversely correlated with the intensity and duration of prior use of ayahuasca and with scores on self-transcendence, a personality trait measuring religiousness, transpersonal feelings and spirituality. Although direct causation cannot be established, these data suggest that regular use of psychedelic drugs could potentially lead to structural changes in brain areas supporting attentional processes, self-referential thought, and internal mentation. These changes could underlie the previously reported personality changes in long-term users and highlight the involvement of the PCC in the effects of psychedelics.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25637267

-eg

Bancopuma
#8 Posted : 7/1/2016 12:13:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Recent research by Dr Jordi Riba and his team (yet to be published) has tentatively linked the alkaloids harmine and tetrahydroharmine (THH) in the ayahuasca vine to neurogenesis in the brain (see link below).

http://beckleyfoundation...-pau-research-programme/

As interesting as this is, it didn't actually come as much of a surprise, to me anyway, as psilocybin has been found to have a similar neurotrophic effect, and there is a lot of overlap in their neuropharmacology.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23727882

Ketamine is been found to rapidly increase BDNF and have neuroregenerative properties.

http://www.nrronline.org...age=200;aulast=Henderson

Ibogaine has been found to increase GDNF via an autoregulatory positive feedback loop.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023388

BDNF and GDNF are important neurotrophic proteins associated with neuronal survival and maintenance and the regeneration of various neuronal populations in the adult brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23348013

Despite the differences in neuropharmacology between these different substances, all have attracted attention...both anecdotally and more recently in the form of scientific research...for their potent antidepressant properties. Seems possible that the common thing that links them all in this respect could be their effect on neurogenesis.

Nathanial.Dread
#9 Posted : 7/1/2016 12:42:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

EDIT - Removed

~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Bancopuma
#10 Posted : 7/1/2016 7:38:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ha well I've also written a lit review on precisely this!! Have just been very busy recently with work so haven't been able to put it to bed...will hopefully be finishing it off with a fellow Nexian in the coming months.

Thumbs up

seagull
#11 Posted : 9/7/2016 11:53:55 PM

Hello world!

http://naturalsociety.co...luable-brain-treatments/
This link shows how shrooms do the same thing!
Also do you guys think that intention plays a key role in this, or that its only a chemical process causing the brains neurosystem to be enhanced?
You&Iverse

pinkoyd
#12 Posted : 9/8/2016 1:44:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

Interesting how the focus is on DMT while harmalas by virtue of not even being mentioned are implied to be pharmacologically inactive...

Thumbs down
I already asked Alice.

Godsmacker
#13 Posted : 9/8/2016 2:45:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pinkoyd wrote:
Interesting how the focus is on DMT while harmalas by virtue of not even being mentioned are implied to be pharmacologically inactive...

Thumbs down

I'll bet you 200 pubmed entries that harmalas do indeed have significant pharmacological activity. FFS they have been shown to slow down the progression of parkinsonian disorders, induce apoptosis in cancer cell cultures (now i'm getting to test it out in rats! W00T) and has in fact reduced/reversed the disease in some patients; hell, they're also of valuable use in Alzheimer territory due to the fact that they are weak NMDA receptor ligands and INCREASE LEVELS of BDNF, which can also open-up a nootropic perspective. The medicinal value of these special RIMAs is largely untapped and unheard of across the biomedical machine; the light only serves to illuminate all that which was already there to begin with: you.

According to the studies i've read, it seems that the longer-lasting harmalas would have moar medicinal value than DMT could ever dream of achieving. I mean, good-grief... Stranded in this sea of studies, i'm just gon' throw you a link for reference.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Final Incarnate
#14 Posted : 9/9/2016 2:00:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lol awesome thread , was talking bout this earlier as well as dmt effects

that link has a boat load of other studies .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=ayahuasca

Final Incarnate is an RPG Character in Terra's Terra . Everything this character has done or does is part of an RPG Story

Final Incarnate
#15 Posted : 9/9/2016 2:02:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pinkoyd wrote:

Thumbs down

turn that frown upside down lol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3841998/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=harmala

Final Incarnate is an RPG Character in Terra's Terra . Everything this character has done or does is part of an RPG Story

entheogenic-gnosis
#16 Posted : 9/9/2016 1:41:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just for fun I'm going to add the pictures from Dr. Riba's neurogenesis work (Beckley foundation link)

The first image is the control, when only salty water (saline) added to the cell cultures. The nuclei of the stem cells can be seen in blue.These stem cells have been treated with saline for several days and only a few have developed into young neurons (the few green sports in the image).

The second image shows the results after several days of treatment with harmine: blue is still present because it’s a marker of cell nuclei, and all cells have nuclei (stem cells and neurons). The green spots are the young neurons marked using Tuj1 staining (this staining is specific for “neuron-specific class III beta-tubulin) present in recently created neurons. The red spots show more mature neurons. The staining marks the “microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2). Its presence increases during neuron development.

The third image shows the results obtained after several days of treatment with tetrahydroharmine. The meaning of the colors is the same.

It appears that tetrahydroharmine is the most effective at inducing neurogenesis.

THH also shares relation to 6-methoxy-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (pinoline), an endogenous beta carboline produced in the human body from N-acetyl-5-methoxy-tryptamine (melatonin).

Quote:
One of pinoline most outstanding pharmacological properties is its ability to promote neurogenesis in vitro; even at trace concentrations. -Wikipedia

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
Slide2.jpg (117kb) downloaded 138 time(s).
Slide3.jpg (163kb) downloaded 138 time(s).
Slide4.jpg (183kb) downloaded 137 time(s).
images.png (2kb) downloaded 137 time(s).
figure-92-1-web.png (190kb) downloaded 137 time(s).

Bancopuma
#17 Posted : 12/8/2016 3:04:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

New study just published.

Dakic, V., Maciel, Rd. M., Drummond H, Nascimento J.M., Trindade, P. & Rehen, S.K. (2016) Harmine stimulates proliferation of human neural progenitors. PeerJ, 4:e2727

https://peerj.com/articles/2727/

Abstract

Harmine is the β-carboline alkaloid with the highest concentration in the psychotropic plant decoction Ayahuasca. In rodents, classical antidepressants reverse the symptoms of depression by stimulating neuronal proliferation. It has been shown that Ayahuasca presents antidepressant effects in patients with depressive disorder. In the present study, we investigated the effects of harmine in cell cultures containing human neural progenitor cells (hNPCs, 97% nestin-positive) derived from pluripotent stem cells. After 4 days of treatment, the pool of proliferating hNPCs increased by 71.5%. Harmine has been reported as a potent inhibitor of the dual specificity tyrosine-phosphorylation-regulated kinase (DYRK1A), which regulates cell proliferation and brain development. We tested the effect of analogs of harmine, an inhibitor of DYRK1A (INDY), and an irreversible selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase (MAO) but not DYRK1A (pargyline). INDY but not pargyline induced proliferation of hNPCs similarly to harmine, suggesting that inhibition of DYRK1A is a possible mechanism to explain harmine effects upon the proliferation of hNPCs. Our findings show that harmine enhances proliferation of hNPCs and suggest that inhibition of DYRK1A may explain its effects upon proliferation in vitro and antidepressant effects in vivo.

Bancopuma
#18 Posted : 12/8/2016 3:04:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

New study just published.

Dakic, V., Maciel, Rd. M., Drummond, H., Nascimento J.M., Trindade, P. & Rehen, S.K. (2016) Harmine stimulates proliferation of human neural progenitors. PeerJ, 4:e2727

https://peerj.com/articles/2727/

Abstract

Harmine is the β-carboline alkaloid with the highest concentration in the psychotropic plant decoction Ayahuasca. In rodents, classical antidepressants reverse the symptoms of depression by stimulating neuronal proliferation. It has been shown that Ayahuasca presents antidepressant effects in patients with depressive disorder. In the present study, we investigated the effects of harmine in cell cultures containing human neural progenitor cells (hNPCs, 97% nestin-positive) derived from pluripotent stem cells. After 4 days of treatment, the pool of proliferating hNPCs increased by 71.5%. Harmine has been reported as a potent inhibitor of the dual specificity tyrosine-phosphorylation-regulated kinase (DYRK1A), which regulates cell proliferation and brain development. We tested the effect of analogs of harmine, an inhibitor of DYRK1A (INDY), and an irreversible selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase (MAO) but not DYRK1A (pargyline). INDY but not pargyline induced proliferation of hNPCs similarly to harmine, suggesting that inhibition of DYRK1A is a possible mechanism to explain harmine effects upon the proliferation of hNPCs. Our findings show that harmine enhances proliferation of hNPCs and suggest that inhibition of DYRK1A may explain its effects upon proliferation in vitro and antidepressant effects in vivo.

downwardsfromzero
#19 Posted : 12/8/2016 9:47:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Great stuff! But how many other things stimulate neurogenesis? What is this "INDY" substance? (Edit: OK, its synonym: (1Z)-1-(3-Ethyl-5-hydroxy-2(3H)-benzothiazolylidene)-2-propanone.) Does it induce visions, so to speak? (Edit: Probably not, although its structure does vaguely resemble a serotonin MAO metabolite...) And what of the lit reviews, fine fellows?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Cognitive Heart
#20 Posted : 12/8/2016 11:33:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for posting the findings. I had just seen this earlier via another site. Incredible results. Very happy Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

12NEXT