We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolina foenisecii harvest and discussion Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 6/8/2016 2:27:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For the past 4 years I have been harvesting these. These are Panaeolus cinctulus fungi (picture attached), with a few Panaeolina foenisecii mixed in.

I have taken spore prints (all were jet black from the fungi photographed), and examined the spores microscopically (roughly 12 x 8 µm, smooth, ellipitic-citriform, thick-walled) (Panaeolina foenisecii have small warts as well as other distinguishing features)
(*though spore prints were only taken from 2 caps from each harvest* I accept that there may be pan foe. Mixed in.)

*There are reports that Panaeolina foenisecii found in Denver contain psilocybin.*

Since pan foe and pan cinct grow in the same habitat during the same time of year, I theorized that perhaps the Panaeolus cinctulus mycellium was transferring psilocin via hyphae to the mycellium of Panaeolina foenisecii...

Or perhaps in the cases in Denver regarding psychedelic poisoning, the species was in fact Panaeolus cinctulus and the identification of pan foe was in error...

Or maybe it's a Panaeolus species which is not known to be common in Denver, but which looks identical to pan foe, such as Panaeolus olivaceus or Panaeolus fimicola...

Panaeolina castaneifolia is another pan foe look alike, but with darker, more black spores than pan foe, since the mushrooms in Denver all have black spore prints, but are being labled pan foe, this could be a candidate, however, this species is not known as being active...

Agrocybe pediades and Conocybe apala are the other common mushroom species I find growing near these Panaeolus cinctulus patches.

I have the majority of my local LBM's identified, and have been collecting mushrooms from this area since I was a child...

...and yet I'm still fascinated with Panaeolus cinctulus and related species in my area, as well as the compounds these fungi may or may not produce...

Panaeolina foenisecii contains serotonin, 5-HTP and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, and in Denver is reported to contain psilocin.

Panaeolus cinctulus contains psilocin.

I've been collecting both species (in Denver), I still have to photograph the spore prints, and with my camera it's hard to tell the dark brown pan foe print from the jet black pan cinct print (though in real life it's quite easy to distinguish them) but once I find a good way to.photograph the prints I will post them as well.

Quote:

Panaeolus foenisecii

This Panaeolus is common in the grass and looks fairly boring, but—in this case—looks deceive....

In some parts of the U.S., P. foenisecii contains psilocybin, the same pyschoactive agent found in magic mushrooms. There is some evidence that P. foenisecii may be hallucinogenic.

A number of cases have been reported involving children eating P. foenisecii and apparently having hallucinations. Mushroom poisoning expert Marilyn Shaw reports one case in which a man was mowing his lawn in Denver and found his child with "mushrooms around her mouth." Her mother said the little girl was later "banging her head" and holding her head and was frightened of both her parents. The kid was not acting as if she had a stomach ache. At the hospital in the middle of the night, Marilyn identified the mushrooms as P. foenisecii, and the doctor administered a tranquilizer. In another case, a child at a summer camp ate about 30 mushrooms, and the counselor believed she was later hallucinating.

http://urbanmushrooms.com/index.php?id=42

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
KINDLE_CAMERA_1438671595000.jpg (180kb) downloaded 247 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1438493751000.jpg (182kb) downloaded 246 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464861646000.jpg (238kb) downloaded 246 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464861749000.jpg (273kb) downloaded 246 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464931503000.jpg (227kb) downloaded 246 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 6/8/2016 4:32:45 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Living in a similar high desert climate, I was wondering if you could expound a bit on the habitat, elevation, and temperature/season which prompt fruiting of these mushrooms in the Denver area?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 6/9/2016 1:49:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

pictures of this morning's harvest. (First two pictures)

(Next few pictures)
Check this out! I found a Panaeolus cinctulus, syn. Panaeolus subbalteatus that had a single fused cap, but with two different stems!

These are not two mushrooms that grew together, and are just "smashed" together, it's literally a single fused cap with two stems!

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465022099000.jpg (310kb) downloaded 225 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465022194000.jpg (263kb) downloaded 224 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465021914000.jpg (204kb) downloaded 223 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465021990000.jpg (198kb) downloaded 223 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465021993000.jpg (199kb) downloaded 223 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465021935000.jpg (206kb) downloaded 222 time(s).

kerelsk
#4 Posted : 6/9/2016 2:10:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been finding Pan foes/cincts all over this year because of rather consistent rain, but I'm getting weak prints, and after they dry a bit they lose some distinguishing characteristics and I feel more reluctant to eat them.

EG, do you eat your Pans dry?

There is this other common lawn-dwelling LBM around me, but it's always more fibrous and tough in texture. The Pans are quite soft in comparison, and easily distinguished.

I have found some very obvious and large Pan cincts in horse manure that I felt no reluctance eating. Hours of looking for little mushrooms led to mushroom afterimages dancing in my head Wink

null24
#5 Posted : 6/9/2016 2:20:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

From what I understand, pans are weak compared to, say cubes or woodlovers, with strong body load, and some prefer NOT to eat them.

They would be a good spring forage crop, if they are viable as psychedelics. What is your opinion?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 6/9/2016 2:37:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
Living in a similar high desert climate, I was wondering if you could expound a bit on the habitat, elevation, and temperature/season which prompt fruiting of these mushrooms in the Denver area?

The suburban area which these mushrooms were collected from is at an Elevation of 5,518 feet, these were all collected from suburban lawn type environments, these grassy areas are very well maintained, well fertilized, and fertilized with dung. I have also been assured that no chemical pesticides or chemical weed killers have been applied to this grassy area.

In my area (Denver suburbs) these mushrooms (Panaeolus cinctulus) as well as their look alike, Panaeolina foenisecii, are very very common, you see them in spring, all the way to fall. You can generally find them if you put the effort in to look, though they seem to fruit most abundantly after rain, and seem to prefer well watered well maintained and well fertilized lawns.

Panaeolus cinctulus can be distinguished from its look alike Panaeolina foenisecii by a simple spore print, Panaeolina foenisecii will have a brown to rust colored spore print, where Panaeolus cinctulus will have a jet black spore print. If you put your spores under a microscope you can distinguish them, Panaeolus cinctulus spores are smooth, where as Panaeolina foenisecii spores have "warts" covering them.

Panaeolus cinctulus grows in all 50 states (picture outlining this mushrooms range attached)

My interest was in finding both Panaeolus cinctulus as well as Panaeolina foenisecii. In Denver, Panaeolina foenisecii are claimed to be psychoactive, there are several cases in which a parent allowed a child to play in the lawn, and later found the child eating mushrooms and hallucinating, there are actually a few of these cases, however the mushroom identified in all cases was Panaeolina foenisecii.

Now, do the Panaeolina foenisecii from Denver really produce psilocin?

Panaeolina foenisecii mushrooms contain serotonin, 5-hydroxy-trptophan and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, so they do have some potential for tryptamine chemistry, 5HTP can also cause "butterflies" in the stomach and "serotonin rush" type effects in high dose...however I feel there's more going on here...

It's either:

·Misidentification (Panaeolus cinctulus being the likely species which was actually consumed, perhaps Panaeolus cinctulus are very common in Denver compared to Panaeolina foenisecii ) (t
Or perhaps panaeolus femicola or Panaeolus olivaceus could be the culprits, though they are not common in Denver)

·A hybrid (perhaps Denver has an abundance of a hybrid mushroom which produces psilocin but resembles Panaeolina foenisecii)

·Psilocin transfer via Hyphae (since Panaeolina foenisecii and Panaeolus cinctulus share the same habitat and seasons, it's possible that the Panaeolus cinctulus hyphae could be passing psilocin to the Panaeolina foenisecii mycellium, resulting in psilocin be present in Panaeolina foenisecii carpophores.

I've collected Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolina foenisecii in the Denver suburban area for the last 4 years or so, I collect the samples, photograph them, preform spore prints, then I catalog the date, time, and location where they were found, then I dry the mushrooms and store them in air-tight plastic bags. I have 4 years of Panaeolus cinctulus in storage right now...

Any way, these mushrooms were once known as "the weed mushroom" due to their tendency to appear in commercial gardens where they would need to be "weeded out"...

I'm sure that if you look, you will find this fungi, though I'm also going to assume you know how to search for mushrooms in a safe and responsible manner, meaning you know your local fungi as well as poison species in your area and look alike species related to the fungi you are searching for. With fungi, paying attention to where and when you found the mushroom, and what exactly it was growing on is VERY important, again know what mushrooms grow in your area and be mindful.of habitat. Always spore print and obtain an exact ID before consumption of any kind...I'm sure you already know all this though.

Any way, if you look, I'm sure you can locate this common psilocybin fungi.

(Psilocybin producing fungi generally appear in the fall season, so these can be a nice spring treat, or if you live in an area where the only wild psilocin producing fungi are Panaeolus cinctulus, they can be a nice treat.)

-eg

(First picture shows range of Panaeolus cinctulus)

351px-Panaeolus-subbalteatus-range-map.png (40kb) downloaded 216 time(s).
Panaeolus.subbalteatus.jpg (12kb) downloaded 216 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464861726000.jpg (270kb) downloaded 215 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#7 Posted : 6/9/2016 2:45:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
From what I understand, pans are weak compared to, say cubes or woodlovers, with strong body load, and some prefer NOT to eat them.

They would be a good spring forage crop, if they are viable as psychedelics. What is your opinion?

"The psychedelic encyclopedia" by Peter Stafford lists Panaeolus cinctulus as containing 1.5mgs to 6mgs psilocybin per gram.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#8 Posted : 6/9/2016 3:10:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kerelsk wrote:
I have been finding Pan foes/cincts all over this year because of rather consistent rain, but I'm getting weak prints, and after they dry a bit they lose some distinguishing characteristics and I feel more reluctant to eat them.

EG, do you eat your Pans dry?

There is this other common lawn-dwelling LBM around me, but it's always more fibrous and tough in texture. The Pans are quite soft in comparison, and easily distinguished.

I have found some very obvious and large Pan cincts in horse manure that I felt no reluctance eating. Hours of looking for little mushrooms led to mushroom afterimages dancing in my head Wink

I generally don't consume these, I collect them, catalogue the information regarding when and where I found them, then I dry them, bag them, and store them.

I have several years of harvests stored in air-tight bags in my collection.

But yes, I have eaten these before. When I first began collecting them I wanted to confirm activity, so I ate about 18g, I ate them dry. I'm sure there may have been some Panaeolina foenisecii mixed in, but I'm not worried about consuming those. For those who claim there is a "body load" I'm not entirely sure what would be causing this, it never really happens to me, though while comming off of these I do feel exhausted, on one occasion I had aches and a metallic taste in my mouth while comming down, though I'm not sure if these effects were connected to the fungi.

(What's strange is that in my mushroom field I never see Panaeolina foenisecii, I thought all panaeolus mushrooms had jet black prints, and that the brown designation for Panaeolina was an error, until I finally obtained some Panaeolina fungi, I keep the prints for reference, I would post a picture, but with my camera it's hard to distinguish them, though in real life it's quite easy.

If your getting weak prints you could try to get enough to put under the microscope, Panaeolina foenisecii will have "bumpy" spores, where Panaeolus cinctulus spores are smooth.

The spore prints are important, if they are comming out "light" it may be because the cap you selected had already dropped all of its spores...

As for the other LBM around you, it could be a large number of things, it almost impossible to say, but if it looks like a panaeolus, but clearly is not, it may be Agrocybe pediades, these look very close to Panaeolus cinctulus at first glance, and they grow in the same habitat and season, but are unrelated to panaeolus species...
http://www.mushroomexper...m/agrocybe_pediades.html

-eg

cave paintings
#9 Posted : 6/9/2016 6:26:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great to see you're doing quite a bit of research on these OP!

I worked with Pan cincts a good bit a couple years ago when they seemed to be popping up like crazy on lawns in my dry suburb. Pan foes certainly were mixed in with the pan cincts around the place, as I definitely had jet black vs brown prints. Another rule of thumb the shroomery pointed out to me, that has served me somewhat well is the stem trick. If you break a Pan cinct stem, it will usually make an audible noise and definitive break. A pan foe stem usually sort of folds and is less rigid. Not a rigorous scientific evaluation, but still sometimes useful.

I had overall good experiences dosing these mushrooms. Microdosing was cool, and I did a couple 7 g (dried) doses that were really fun. The experience with these mushrooms was less of a bodyload compared to cubensis for me, and more mental. Different colors/patterns were also present than cubensis for me. I tended to make teas out of them with lemon, so this could also be why the body load was less. I would sometimes get some bleary eyes from them as well, a common physical symptom I occasionally get from mushies. My only concern with harvesting these mushrooms in the suburbs was the possibility of pesticide/pollutant hyperaccumulation.
Living to Give

entheogenic-gnosis
#10 Posted : 6/9/2016 6:30:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

In this erowid article we read a case of accidental psychedelic mushroom intoxication dating from 1914, the mushroom in question was believed to be Panaeolus papilionaceus by the mushroom collectors (intoxication victims) and by the authors of the paper, Paul statements suggests this was a misidentification, and that the species that was consumed was in fact Panaeolus cinctulus. I'm in full agreement with Paul Stamets, the mushroom consumed must have been Panaeolus cinctulus, the many clues in the story provided all point to Panaeolus cinctulus.

Quote:
he lady referred to as Mrs. Y., who also ate the mushrooms, is his niece by marriage. Her husband (Mr. Y.) was present, but ate no mushrooms. He could observe some things not noticed by the victims, both of whom experienced nearly the same effects. Mrs. Y. also gave the writer a personal account of some of her symptoms, essentially the same as those here narrated. This article in its present form has been read by Mr. W. and approved by him.

The parties are natives of Oxford County, Maine, where the event occurred. Their real names are withheld, by request. The effects experienced are in some respects similar to those caused by hashish; others are like those experienced by some opium smokers, especially the multiplication of objects and their bright colors. The appearance of vivid colors recalls the symptoms described by Dr. Weir Mitchell, when he took Mexican mescal pills, as an experiment. The loss of the power of estimating time and distance, as in some dreams, is interesting, as existing when other faculties were active.

Narrative of Mr. W.

On July 10, 1914, I gathered a good mess of the mushrooms (Panaeolus papilionaceus) and had them cooked for dinner. There may have been about a pound of them as gathered, but when fried in butter they made no great quantity, owing to their softness and delicate structure.

They were all eaten by Mrs. Y. and myself. Peculiar symptoms were perceived in a very short time. Noticed first that I could not collect my thoughts easily, when addressed, nor answer readily. Could not will to arise promptly. Walked a short distance; the time was short, but seemed long drawn out; could walk straight but seemed drowsy; had no disagreeable stomach sensations, effects seemed entirely mental; remember little about the walk. Mrs. Y. was in about the same condition, according to Mr. Y. My mind very soon appeared to clear up somewhat, and things began to seem funny, and rather like intoxication. Walked with Mr. Y. A little later objects took on peculiar bright colors. A field of redtop grass seemed to be in horizontal stripes of bright red and green, and a peculiar green hue spread itself over all the landscape. At this time Mrs. Y. saw nearly everything green, but the sky was blue; her white handkerchief appeared green to her; and the tips of her fingers seemed to be like the heads of snakes.

Next, say about half an hour after eating, both of us had an irresistible impulse to run and jump, which we did freely. I did not stagger, but all my motions seemed to be mechanical or automatic, and my muscles did not properly nor fully obey my will. Soon both of us became very hilarious, with an irresistible impulse to laugh and joke immoderately, and almost hysterically at times. The laughing could be controlled only with great difficulty; at the same time we were indulging extravagantly in joking and what seemed to us funny or witty remarks. Mr. Y., who was with us, said that some of the jokes were successful; others not so, but I can not remember what they were about.

Mr. Y. says that at this time the pupils of our eyes were very much dilated
Mr. Y. says that at this time the pupils of our eyes were very much dilated
, and that. Mrs. Y. at times rolled up her eyes and had some facial contortions, and slight frothing of saliva at the mouth. Later we returned to the house, about one quarter of a mile. At this time I had no distinct comprehension of time; a very short time seemed long drawn out, and a longer time seemed very short; the same as to distances walked; though not so when estimated by the eye. The hilarious condition continued, but no visual illusions occurred at this time.

After entering the house, I noticed that the irregular figures on the wall-paper seemed to have creepy and crawling motions, contracting and expanding continually, though not changing their forms; finally they began to project from the wall and grew out toward me from it with uncanny motions.

About this time I noticed a bouquet of large red roses, all of one kind, on the table and another on the secretary; then at once the room seemed to become filled with roses of various red colors and of all sizes, in great bunches, wreaths and chains, and with regular banks of them, all around me, but mixed with some green foliage, as in the real bouquets. This beautiful illusion lasted only a short time. About this time I had a decided rush of blood to my head, with marked congestion, which caused me to lie down. I then had a very disagreeable illusion. Innumerable human faces, of all sorts and sizes, but all hideous, seemed to fill the room and to extend off in multitudes to interminable distances, while many were close to me on all aides. They were all grimacing rapidly and horribly and undergoing contortions, all the time growing more and more hideous. Some were upside down.

The faces appeared in all sorts of bright and even intense colors--so intense that I could only liken them to flames of fire, in red, purple, green and yellow colors, like fireworks.
The faces appeared in all sorts of bright and even intense colors--so intense that I could only liken them to flames of fire, in red, purple, green and yellow colors, like fireworks.

At this time I began to become alarmed and sent for the doctor, but he did nothing, for the effects were wearing off when he came. Real objects at this time appeared in their true forms, but if colored they assumed far more intense or vivid colors than natural; dull red becoming brilliant red, etc. A little later, when standing up, I had the unpleasant sensation of having my body elongate upward to the ceiling, which receding, I grew far up, like Jack's bean-stalk, but retained my natural thickness. Collapsed suddenly to my natural height.

At this time I noticed the parlor organ and tried to play on it, to see the effect, but could not concentrate my mind nor manage my fingers. About this time my mind became confused and my remembrance of what happened next is dim and chaotic. Probably there was a partial and brief loss of consciousness. Laid down to wait for the doctor. Looking at my hands, they seemed to become small, emaciated, shrunken and bony, like those of a mummy. Mrs. Y. says that at this time her hands and arms seemed to grow unnaturally large.

When I attempted to scratch a spot on my neck, it felt like scratching a rough cloth meal-bag full of meal, and it seemed as large as a barrel, and the scratching seemed quite impersonal. Later I imagined I was able, by a sort of clairvoyance, to tell the thoughts of those around me. Soon after this our conditions rapidly assumed the very hilarious phase, similar to that of the early stages, with much involuntary laughing and joking. This condition gradually diminished after three o'clock, until our mental conditions became perfectly normal, at about six o'clock P.M. The entire experience lasted about six hours. No ill effects followed. There was no headache, nor any disturbance of the digestion.

A. E. VERRILL

Yale University

https://www.erowid.org/e...riences/exp.php?ID=93696

-eg

kerelsk
#11 Posted : 6/10/2016 12:37:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So I went out this morning and found quite a few mushrooms in the yard. Turns out some of these aren't just foes Big grin

EG is right in saying that the brown vs black spore prints don't show up very well on camera, but the difference is fairly obvious in person.

In the first pic, I have two Pans held against what might be an Agrocybe. I threw the suspect Agro out, don't worry

The second pic is first a Pan foe and the second a Pan sub, both rather dried out

Thanks for the alert, EG, I may very well sample a few. I'm certain they're all Panaeolus of some sort.
kerelsk attached the following image(s):
20160609_122134.jpg (2,291kb) downloaded 196 time(s).
20160609_192858.jpg (1,756kb) downloaded 196 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#12 Posted : 6/10/2016 2:32:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

cave paintings wrote:
Great to see you're doing quite a bit of research on these OP!

I worked with Pan cincts a good bit a couple years ago when they seemed to be popping up like crazy on lawns in my dry suburb. Pan foes certainly were mixed in with the pan cincts around the place, as I definitely had jet black vs brown prints. Another rule of thumb the shroomery pointed out to me, that has served me somewhat well is the stem trick. If you break a Pan cinct stem, it will usually make an audible noise and definitive break. A pan foe stem usually sort of folds and is less rigid. Not a rigorous scientific evaluation, but still sometimes useful.

I had overall good experiences dosing these mushrooms. Microdosing was cool, and I did a couple 7 g (dried) doses that were really fun. The experience with these mushrooms was less of a bodyload compared to cubensis for me, and more mental. Different colors/patterns were also present than cubensis for me. I tended to make teas out of them with lemon, so this could also be why the body load was less. I would sometimes get some bleary eyes from them as well, a common physical symptom I occasionally get from mushies. My only concern with harvesting these mushrooms in the suburbs was the possibility of pesticide/pollutant hyperaccumulation.

Yes, harmful chemical pesticides and herbicides are a definite concern, I have been assured by the grounds crew that the area I am harvesting from does not use chemical pesticides or herbicides (there is a community garden in the center of this grassy area, and they are trying to go all organic, I was assured that no harmful chemicals were used in the garden or the grass around it)

...the grounds crew would see me combing the fields and eventually asked "what the hell are you doing?" So I replied "I'm collecting Panaeolus cinctulus fungi for research"

I'm probably considered to be an eccentric by the people who live in my neighborhood, and incidents like these never help...

But...

...I must have sounded professional enough, because after that they gave me free reign to collect in that area, and gave me information regarding fertilization and pest and weed control.

They never asked about psychedelic fungi, even though I was collecting mushrooms at 4:30am in a tie-dye shirt in an organic community garden...

most people in Colorado are under the impression that "psilocybe fungi do not grow in colorado"

...which is a misperception, psilocybe fungi do in fact occur in Colorado, how ever, there are only about 3 species I have seen, and only about 6 species total, and none of them resemble the commonly seen and commercially sold stropharia cubensis that most are familiar with:

·Conocybe cyanopus syn. Pholiotina cyanopus
(These grow in Colorado, but good luck finding some, as they are very rare)

·Panaeolus cinctulus

·Gymnopilus spectabilis (big laughing gym)

And

·Amanita muscaria (not a psilocybin fungi, these contain Muscimol,Ibotenic acid, muscarine, and muscazone)

Quote:

Colorado
Panaeolus castaneifolius
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Gymnopilus sapineus
Pluteus salicinus
Gerronema fibula
Conocybe cyanopus

(I'm not sure how accurate the list in the quotation box is, but it's used many places and seems to be regarded as correct)

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#13 Posted : 6/10/2016 2:54:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kerelsk wrote:
So I went out this morning and found quite a few mushrooms in the yard. Turns out some of these aren't just foes Big grin

EG is right in saying that the brown vs black spore prints don't show up very well on camera, but the difference is fairly obvious in person.

In the first pic, I have two Pans held against what might be an Agrocybe. I threw the suspect Agro out, don't worry

The second pic is first a Pan foe and the second a Pan sub, both rather dried out

Thanks for the alert, EG, I may very well sample a few. I'm certain they're all Panaeolus of some sort.

That's awesome!

The "top" mushroom in your hand looks identical to Agrocybe pediades, I actually find these things growing in the same patches as Panaeolus cinctulus, however their brighter yellowish color, waxy texture, and other distinguising features should be a dead give away, after working long enough with panaeolus cinctulus/foe it becomes automatic in recognizing unrelated species.

The other two in your hand look like either Panaeolus cinctulus or Panaeolina foenisecii, and your spore prints do look jet black, so I would say you likely have some Panaeolus cinctulus.

If you really want to be sure you can use a microscope on those spores (foe = bumpy / cinct = smooth), however, even if you did sample these, if you did have some Panaeolina foenisecii mixed in, it wouldn't be a big deal, they won't hurt you anyway.

I'm pretty sure that most my harvests have some Panaeolina foenisecii mixed in.

That's cool stuff, it makes me happy knowing that nature is at least trying to provide humans with these compounds...

Mckenna would say another name for a shaman is a "clever fella", and they really are, if your clever enough to recognize certain plants and fungi, and are clever enough to know what to do.with them, you can gain access to an Entheogenic dimension which most do not even realize exists...I think psychedelic type folks must be "clever" in many ways, but in this case it's obvious.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#14 Posted : 6/11/2016 2:30:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Picture of dried and bagged harvest from the last three days.

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465125400000.jpg (253kb) downloaded 185 time(s).

cave paintings
#15 Posted : 6/12/2016 6:13:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hahaha glad you're flying under the radar gnosis. I remember getting interesting looks from people as I walked the suburbs raptly scanning people's lawns. Taking out your phone and looking at it intently is usually sufficient to normalize you. Its pretty 'normal' to be more preoccupied with your phone than your immediate surroundings these days Laughing
4:30 am is early though to be hunting! Be safe friend Smile
Living to Give

PsilocybeChild
#16 Posted : 6/13/2016 6:56:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
In Denver, Panaeolina foenisecii are claimed to be psychoactive, there are several cases in which a parent allowed a child to play in the lawn, and later found the child eating mushrooms and hallucinating, there are actually a few of these cases, however the mushroom identified in all cases was Panaeolina foenisecii.

Have you seen the 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid molecule?
It looks like a psychedelic tryptamine analogue that might have psychedelic effects.

Does anyone know anything about the psychoactivity of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA)?

Quote:
5-HT-1A, 5-HT-1B, 5-HT-1D,
5-HT-1E, 5-HT-1F, 5HT-2A,
5-HT-2B, 5-HT-2C, 5-HT-3A,
5-HT-3B, 5-HT-3C, 5-HT-3D,
5-HT-3E, 5-HT-4, 5-HT-5A,
5-HT-5B, 5-HT-6, 5-HT-7

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/h8876
(I only cite this info with a link to a vendor page because they sell to research organizations and not the general public.)

It is a metabolite of serotonin.

So here is another psychedelic to add to the list which is a naturally-found endogenous chemical in the human body,
along with DMT, Bufotenine, and 10-methoxyharmalan;

And which is part of an even larger list of endogenous drugs:
serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, DMT, Bufotenine, 10-methoxyharmalan, GHB, and endorphin compounds
(endogenous opioid neuropeptides): α-endorphin, β-endorphin, γ-endorphin, α-neo-endorphin, and β-neo-endorphin, and etc.
Just goes to show how our own healthy chemistry is made up of drugs and how it is a natural part of existence.
PsilocybeChild attached the following image(s):
Screenshot from 2016-06-13 01-54-46.png (7kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

entheogenic-gnosis
#17 Posted : 6/13/2016 2:36:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

cave paintings wrote:
Hahaha glad you're flying under the radar gnosis. I remember getting interesting looks from people as I walked the suburbs raptly scanning people's lawns. Taking out your phone and looking at it intently is usually sufficient to normalize you. Its pretty 'normal' to be more preoccupied with your phone than your immediate surroundings these days Laughing
4:30 am is early though to be hunting! Be safe friend Smile

At 4:30am in early june, the sun is just comming out...after it rains, just before sunrise, I find the best harvests.

It may look odd, but that has never stopped me from doing anything else...

I'm seen doing "strange" things all the time, however when questioned, I always speak in a proper, educated and articulated manner, I intentionally use complex scientific nomenclature and research jargon, so even though I may be wearing a dead shirt, in a public garden at 4am, I sound enough like a researcher that I'm often left to my business without further questioning...

... I'm probably thought of as an eccentric in my neighborhood, which actually works in my favor, they think "it's just part of his crazy research" and leave me to do what ever it was that I was doing.

Quote:
"Notice that I use big words…… ……simply, if you are defined in their eyes as an intellectual, then they automatically put you in the harmless category and send resources elsewhere".
—Terence Mckenna

Quote:
We are not slack-jawed, dazed, glazed, unemployable psychotic creeps. We are pillars of society. You can't run your computers, your fashion houses, your publishing houses, your damn magazines, you can't do anything in culture without psychedelic people in key positions. And this is the great unspoken truth of American Creativity. So I think it's basically time to just come out of the closet and go, "You know what, I'm stoned, and I'm proud." -terence mckenna

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#18 Posted : 6/13/2016 2:37:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Picture of some samples I gathered this morning...

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464763779000.jpg (225kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464763660000.jpg (241kb) downloaded 130 time(s).

kerelsk
#19 Posted : 6/13/2016 3:03:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was looking over John Allen's Close Encounters of a Panaeolus Kind Very happy once more and it's a wonderful piece of mushroom lore. There's a claim made that Oregonian students have been harvesting this species since 1968.

The whole article picks up the flavor and essence of this species, certainly feeling some resonance.

Quote:

In 1982 I was on a mushroom foray in a pasture, in Kent, Washington, a field where I had previously been involved in studying the growth, developement and various habitats of the "liberty cap" mushroom (Psilocybe semilanceata), one of the most common and sought after mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest. During this foray I came upon a most startling discovery, one that would definitely make my day.

There, right in front of my eyes, was a tiny grouping of what appeared to me to be some very small mushrooms, mushrooms which I believed just might possibly contain the hallucinogenic compounds known as psilocybin and psilocin.

Over the years, my day by day field research was finally beginning to pay off. In fact, it had become somewhat of a daily habit which I ritualistically enjoyed. I had been gaining a very deep insight in identifying many varieties of fungi and my knowledge of species had tremendously grown since I first discovered the "liberty cap" mushroom back in 1972.

It was in the early part of April and I had been wandering from field to field for about three hours. On this particularly cloudy and sometimes rainy spring day, I came upon and espied a fairly small sized grouping of multi-banded fungi (marked by zones of color). I soon became enchanted by their fresh appearance. They were in a cluster and appeared to be huddling together like a family trying to keep themselves warm. I noticed that the mushrooms seemed to be asking the sky to bring them more fresh rain so that they could grow tall, as if they were trying to reach out to the heavens above them.

One of the first notable features I observed about these mushrooms while gazing at their radiance was that they were growing directly from out of a dung heap or what is commonly referred to as a cow pie.

Gazing at this wonderful symbiosis of mushroom and dung, I began to realized that these mushrooms just might possess some sort of celestial energy. It was as if they were telepathic and speaking to me in a language which only they and I knew. Somehow I could feel their aura and I knew that they had been calling me from afar to come and visit them. They were inviting me to their home so that I could experience all that they were. Inviting me to pick them from their habitat which they knew so well. I felt that they transcended to me a warmth which only I knew and the wind seemed to whisper over and over, "pick me, pick me if you dare."

Within a few seconds of time, beginning from that very moment when my eyes first gazed upon their presence in the dung, a slight grin began to appear across my face and I smiled as my heart fluttered and palpitated exceedingly faster then it normally did. I was flushed with excitement because I realized the potential which these little mushrooms might have in store for one such as I who had humbly wandered into their time and space of existence on this green little planet which we call earth.

I hadn't realized they were as common as they are in my area till just this week. My friends and I picked perhaps a few hundred specimens, many of which were growing out of my friends' and my own yard! Love

entheogenic-gnosis
#20 Posted : 6/13/2016 3:13:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

PsilocybeChild wrote:
Quote:
In Denver, Panaeolina foenisecii are claimed to be psychoactive, there are several cases in which a parent allowed a child to play in the lawn, and later found the child eating mushrooms and hallucinating, there are actually a few of these cases, however the mushroom identified in all cases was Panaeolina foenisecii.

Have you seen the 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid molecule?
It looks like a psychedelic tryptamine analogue that might have psychedelic effects.

Does anyone know anything about the psychoactivity of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA)?

EDIT:
5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is definitely psychedelic. Look at the receptors it has affinity for.. Now the question is if it is orally active.
I'd love to be able to research it.

Quote:
5-HT-1A, 5-HT-1B, 5-HT-1D,
5-HT-1E, 5-HT-1F, 5HT-2A,
5-HT-2B, 5-HT-2C, 5-HT-3A,
5-HT-3B, 5-HT-3C, 5-HT-3D,
5-HT-3E, 5-HT-4, 5-HT-5A,
5-HT-5B, 5-HT-6, 5-HT-7

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/h8876
(I only cite this info with a link to a vendor page because they sell to research organizations and not the general public.)

It is a metabolite of serotonin.

So here is another psychedelic to add to the list which is a naturally-found endogenous chemical in the human body,
along with DMT, Bufotenine, and 10-methoxyharmalan;

And which is part of an even larger list of endogenous drugs:
serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, DMT, Bufotenine, 10-methoxyharmalan, GHB, and endorphin compounds
(endogenous opioid neuropeptides): α-endorphin, β-endorphin, γ-endorphin, α-neo-endorphin, and β-neo-endorphin, and etc.
Just goes to show how our own healthy chemistry is made up of drugs and how it is a natural part of existence.

I would not consider 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid to be a psychedelic.

Structurally it's far more like 5-hydroxy-tryptophan, or serotonin itself than any of the psychedelic tryptamine compounds, the fact that it is lacking an amine nitrogen should definitely set it apart, When the mono-amine oxidase enzymes in your body seek to neutralize tryptamine molecules, one main route of attack is de-amination, so most deaminated tryptamine compounds would not strike me as psychedelic...

...and one must keep in mind, that similar structure does not mean similar activity.

(Though these mushrooms contain serotonin, consuming serotonin itself will not produce effects, the free hydroxyl group at position 5 is a polar water loving lump which prevents passage across the brain's defensive Maginot Line (blood brain barrier), then the amine group off the two carbon ethyl side chain makes the compound amenable to deamination by mono-amine-oxidase.)
(Though if one were to place a methyl groups at both of these positions, you obtain alpha-0-methyl-serotonin, one of the most potent tryptamine compounds known. )

Where did you find the receptor binding information and what was the affinity for those receptor sites (Ki values)

There are many compounds with affinity for serotonin receptor sites that are not psychedelic.

5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is a metabolite of serotonin. It's used in medicine to determine serotonin levels in a person's body, apparently if they find low levels of 5-HIAA, it means your serotonin is diminished, which can induce aggressive or suicidal behavior.

and seeing as how Panaeolina foenisecii is a serotonin producing mushroom, it does not surprise me that key metabolite of serotonin exists in this mushroom.

(Indole-3-acetic-acid is the key metabolite of dimethyltryptamine in the human body, it is also a plant root growth hormone.)

All and all, I can say that 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is an interesting compound, it has some psychoactivity, but it is not a psychedelic...

(Picture of 5-HTP attached)

-eg
5-HTP.jpg (29kb) downloaded 126 time(s).

12NEXT