We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Traditional Peyote Ceremony - Your advice? Options

digitalvygr
#1 Posted : 5/29/2016 10:07:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My friend the Dreamer is getting insistent messages from the plant world...

2 weeks ago someone not known well at all beyond being together in a men's group together and having talked for maybe less than 5 minutes total, says that after 17 years of waiting to do Aya, in his first experience Mother Aya tells him specifically to tell the Dreamer to try Aya...

Then, 10 days later, there is an invitation to try Peyote for first time in the traditional night time ceremony in a tepee. May have had experience in the past with a half dose of Peruvian torch which was amazing, so some experience with mescaline from a different source than peyote. Also had first OBEs 2 weeks after that, so seems to have been a good first experience which led to further awakenings.

Now some questions, there are only 5 days left to prepare:

-Has anyone had experience of a traditional ceremony like this? What does it involve, what preparation should be done?

-Seems like mindSet could get a bit poor due to getting sleepy, it seems usually preferable to experience during the afternoon when fully awake and positive. OTOH maybe they do this on purpose because it allows for the "veil" to be thinnest.

-Coordinators seemed to think nausea and purging would be unlikely, yet other sources indicate otherwise.

-What kind of plant spirit is Peyote? Descriptions of "Mescalito" seem to range from "trickster" to protector, etc. How is respect paid to Mescalito?

-The Dreamer currently plans to arrive and be present regardless, but will make last minute decision about actually eating the Peyote depending on Set and Setting. In the event that no Peyote is eaten, the plan is to connect to the plant spirit via pranayama as BundleflowerPower has discussed in recent threads.

So that covers some questions, but any and all experience/advice etc. is very welcome! TIA!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 5/30/2016 12:24:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

(The whole "swim" thing is generally not prefered)

On a school trip to canyon De chelly, Arizona I sat in on a Navajo peyote session. We were down on the reservation planting peach trees, I guess when white people first came through they cut down all the peach trees to try to starve out the natives, so my school would go down to the canyon and replant peach trees. I had some in depth discussions with a shaman during my first few days, and was asked to sit in on a peyote ceremony. One other person besides myself was asked.

I got teased quite a bit for being white, I think they would call me the Navajo words meaning "walking snow"...or something to that effect, there was still a good deal of resentment towards white people, but given the reason we were down there I didn't let it get to me. I was told that outsiders never get to sit in on these ceremonies, that these were community events that were not open to the public...and that I was the first white person that they could ever remember being asked to sit in.

It was an extremely rare look into a world I feel most will never even know exists...

When climbing down the canyon, I was afraid of going over the edge, we were on very steep ledges with very far drops if one were to fall. The young Navajo girl hiking with our group was running across these ledges barefoot, with absolutely no fear, and was quite amused at seeing myself so scared I could barely move, crunched up against the wall, holding on for my life...it did not help that shortly before the climb we were told a story about native spirits guarding the canyon who enjoyed pulling white people over the edge to their deaths...
On the way down an older native was telling the meanings of the carvings in the canyon wall, he also told me never to repeat what he had told me to anyone outside of his tribe...

The ceremony was held at the bottom of the canyon. It was at night, around a fire, there were probably 10 people there. There was dried peyote in baskets as well as a "peyote tea"
There is singing, and drumming, and a good deal of "ceremony" before hand...

I don't regret it, though I never planned for it...

If it's meant to happen, the universe will present the situation in a manner in which you can't refuse participation.

-eg

Ufostrahlen
#3 Posted : 5/30/2016 7:56:48 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

digitalvygr wrote:
-What kind of plant spirit is Peyote? Descriptions of "Mescalito" seem to range from "trickster" to protector, etc. How is respect paid to Mescalito?

I never took it in a traditional ceremony, but from my experience I'd say you yell loud from your heart: YOTE IS MY LORD AND SAVIOR! Try to wave mystically with burning incense sticks as well while dancing to this beat:

Also prepare to die, it may be your last day on Earth. People who took him, know what I mean. But dying isn't so bad as you may believe. At last make sure you get legit yote, so you know you die from him and not from the pesticides, because that's a shitty trip.

If you decide to take him in an unholy setting, I'd say get some Benzos for the anxiety and some anti-nausea agents for the stomach pain. Shulgin used to take a certain brand with Mescaline, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Also make sure, that the Benzos and the ANA, as well as the Yote and the ANA don't share adverse drug interactions.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

digitalvygr
#4 Posted : 5/30/2016 8:09:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
(The whole "swim" thing is generally not prefered)

-eg

The post has been edited accordingly after reading through some other posts about how others here on the forum deal with the issue, hopefully the Dreamer compromise is at least preferable. Also a few questions were deleted after research in the meantime yielded satisfactory answers.

Thanks for your perspective on the experience itself, that sounds amazing and syncronistic. What is being offered here will not be as mystical in terms of setting, but certainly there is that aspect of it being hard to say no to for various reasons.

digitalvygr
#5 Posted : 5/30/2016 8:37:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
digitalvygr wrote:

I never took it in a traditional ceremony, but from my experience I'd say you yell loud from your heart: YOTE IS MY LORD AND SAVIOR! Try to wave mystically with burning incense sticks as well while dancing to this beat:

Also prepare to die, it may be your last day on Earth. People who took him, know what I mean. But dying isn't so bad as you may believe. At last make sure you get legit yote, so you know you die from him and not from the pesticides, because that's a shitty trip.

If you decide to take him in an unholy setting, I'd say get some Benzos for the anxiety and some anti-nausea agents for the stomach pain. Shulgin used to take a certain brand with Mescaline, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Also make sure, that the Benzos and the ANA, as well as the Yote and the ANA don't share adverse drug interactions.

Ha, those kids are awesome :-)

No current access to Benzos, thinking L-Theanine and such might have to substitute in the meantime.

In the meantime guess we all have to die sometime, so practice is probably not a bad idea... though yes having some means to deal with it still is good advice, thanks.

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 5/30/2016 9:46:10 PM

digitalvygr wrote:
No current access to Benzos, thinking L-Theanine and such might have to substitute in the meantime.

L-T will probably do nothing. On the other hand: maybe the first time is fine without any help, to feel him pure like the natives. While coming up, you might curse yourself not to have taken any Benzos or ANA, because dying is hard and ugly (very hard to imagine sober, maybe chop off one leg or your dick for a simulation), but the rebirth is pure joy (think about your chopped off dick being reattached, enlarged and ready for action).

First real yote is one your lifetime trips, so eat plenty, even if it tastes shitty. The woo-woo is probably unnecessary, I first ate him in an unholy high-rise building, trying to reenact Fear and Laughing in Las Vegas some thousand miles away from his native habitat. Once I died on the mattress, my friends turned into alien gods and I knew I left earth. Puny human brains cannot conceive this or prepare for it.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

digitalvygr
#7 Posted : 6/1/2016 6:14:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
digitalvygr wrote:

L-T will probably do nothing. On the other hand: maybe the first time is fine without any help, to feel him pure like the natives. While coming up, you might curse yourself not to have taken any Benzos or ANA, because dying is hard and ugly (very hard to imagine sober, maybe chop off one leg or your dick for a simulation), but the rebirth is pure joy (think about your chopped off dick being reattached, enlarged and ready for action).

First real yote is one your lifetime trips, so eat plenty, even if it tastes shitty. The woo-woo is probably unnecessary, I first ate him in an unholy high-rise building, trying to reenact Fear and Laughing in Las Vegas some thousand miles away from his native habitat. Once I died on the mattress, my friends turned into alien gods and I knew I left earth. Puny human brains cannot conceive this or prepare for it.

Sounds pretty transformational even if pretty rough as you mentioned until rebirth. Guess there will likely be a lot of puking too, which is supposedly called "getting well" and also seems to serve a purpose of cleansing much like with aya.

Any thoughts about integration afterwards? Can a person just go from taking it at say 9 PM, not sleeping all night, and going to work the next day if necessary? Or does the next day need to be blocked off for processing the event?

Ufostrahlen
#8 Posted : 6/1/2016 6:29:27 PM

digitalvygr wrote:
Sounds pretty transformational even if pretty rough as you mentioned until rebirth. Guess there will likely be a lot of puking too, which is supposedly called "getting well" and also seems to serve a purpose of cleansing much like with aya.

Any thoughts about integration afterwards? Can a person just go from taking it at say 9 PM, not sleeping all night, and going to work the next day if necessary? Or does the next day need to be blocked off for processing the event?

I didn't puke. I blended some buttons in a blender with some orange juice. Extremely horrid taste, but it got absorbed pretty quickly. Working the next day sounds stupid. You are reborn and next day you wanna work?

I ate the buttons 2 days straight without sleep after drinking the juice, so I was awake for ~ 3 days. Funny how I did that without knowing about Castaneda's work or yote culture in general, where they do the same.

The buttons do really talk and teach you in a nonhuman way. I also heard the "music". Guess that's the song the yote teaches you. But I never came across legit yote in the last 15 years so I didn't had the chance to do him again. It's mostly 1P-LSD these days.

digitalvygr
#9 Posted : 6/1/2016 8:57:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Working the next day sounds stupid. You are reborn and next day you wanna work?

I ate the buttons 2 days straight without sleep after drinking the juice, so I was awake for ~ 3 days. Funny how I did that without knowing about Castaneda's work or yote culture in general, where they do the same.

The buttons do really talk and teach you in a nonhuman way. I also heard the "music". Guess that's the song the yote teaches you. But I never came across legit yote in the last 15 years so I didn't had the chance to do him again. It's mostly 1P-LSD these days.

Yeah, that was kind of a rhetorical question, let's just say circumstances are not ideal for the next day, but arrangements can be made to make them more ideal and that feedback helps strengthen the resolve.

2 days of eating it straight, wow. Would have thought it might build up tolerance at some point?

The fact that the good stuff seems so scarce does seem to makes this all the more compelling, along the lines of what Entheogenic-Gnosis was saying.

zhoro
#10 Posted : 6/1/2016 11:41:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Be prepared to sit in one, possibly very tight, spot, for 12 hours straight without lying down.
Here it is - right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it. ~ Huang-po

digitalvygr
#11 Posted : 6/2/2016 3:15:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zhoro wrote:
Be prepared to sit in one, possibly very tight, spot, for 12 hours straight without lying down.

The Dreamer got to ask some questions and apparently this will be a more "feminine" ceremony where there will be the option to lay down if necessary though sitting the whole time is preferred. Apparently the very traditional ceremonies can involve kneeling in one spot the whole time which can get painful.

Ufostrahlen
#12 Posted : 6/2/2016 4:39:07 AM

digitalvygr wrote:
Yeah, that was kind of a rhetorical question, let's just say circumstances are not ideal for the next day, but arrangements can be made to make them more ideal and that feedback helps strengthen the resolve.

The fact that the good stuff seems so scarce does seem to makes this all the more compelling, along the lines of what Entheogenic-Gnosis was saying.

Quote:
If it's meant to happen, the universe will present the situation in a manner in which you can't refuse participation.

Yes, working next day absolutely makes no sense. Plan to make it some days. You also need to recover from the lack of sleep. I mean treat this like a wedding or similar, you don't work next day after dancing & celebrating the night. You brunch, chill out, listen to music etc.

Quote:
2 days of eating it straight, wow. Would have thought it might build up tolerance at some point?

It seemed natural to me. The last doses were only some buttons with a mild effect and the taste limits the intake, so some tolerance was of course built up. But it didn't mean there was no effect.

digitalvygr
#13 Posted : 6/3/2016 8:21:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
digitalvygr wrote:

L-T will probably do nothing.

Any thoughts on using Kava as a relaxant in place of Benzos? Some quick web searches show some people trying it with pure mescaline to good effect, but not sure about how it would work with other alkaloids in the Peyote, still trying to figure that one out.

The Dreamer has enjoyed Kava alone with nice effects, often drinking it before bed will lead to pleasant lucid dreams...

Ufostrahlen
#14 Posted : 6/4/2016 3:51:40 PM

I have no idea, but:

Quote:
The following pharmacological actions have been reported for kava and/or its major active constituents:[19]

Monoamine oxidase B reversible inhibition (by all six of the major kavalactones).

https://en.wikipedia.org...ki/Kava#Pharmacodynamics

entheogenic-gnosis
#15 Posted : 6/4/2016 3:55:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Is cannabis not an option?

-eg

digitalvygr
#16 Posted : 6/6/2016 4:11:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
Is cannabis not an option?

-eg

So the experience has now passed and was beautiful but not strongly hallucinogenic as expected from reading reports. A strong vibrational experience throughout the body, some enhanced chakra activation, and some minor visions were present as well as a strong connection to the others and to nature. The cup went around 4 times and midway through the dreamer learned a trick to get more peyote by tilting the pot and getting dreggs with the plant matter itself at the boottom of the tea. There was no raw peyote fed to participants in this case. So next time more peyote can be injested, if there is a next time for this kind of ceremony...

When a leader was asked if Kava could be used the answer was that "Peyote does not like to be mixed". Later a similar sentiment was expressed in relating how others had mixed cannabis at times and that was traditionally frowned on by most ceremonial leaders, though it was acknowledged that cannabis is part of the medicine bag.

Despite that, apparently peyote is OK with being mixed with nicotine, which makes sense from a shamanic grounding and warding off bad spirits perspective, as part of the beginning of the ceremony involved smoking tobacco in native form, and this may have helped ground the experience further.

Magnesium glycate pills were allowed prior to starting and this probably did provide some nice relaxation.

The Dreamer felt a connection to all native people and their suffering and cried like an abandoned baby then yelled into the fire at direction of an elder shaman. This was said to have cleared lifetimes of karma and suffering.

All told an extremely beautiful experience which will be a lifelong memory and has made the Dreamer decide to work more with this sacrament in the future, especially as in his country it can be bought over the counter legally as there is an exclusion on the UN ban.

Ufostrahlen
#17 Posted : 6/6/2016 6:07:49 PM

Thumbs up

digitalvygr
#18 Posted : 6/10/2016 9:43:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another thing that was learned is that peyote has become hard to find because when people harvest it they often dig it up by the roots or pull it out of the ground by the roots. Instead it can be cut at the base and apparently regrow. So should anyone here ever go foraging for it in the wild, this might be the best way to go to help preserve this amazing sacrament.