We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Transplanting Morning Glory seedlings? Options

เฅ
#1 Posted : 5/23/2016 6:57:32 PM

Psilosopher

Hi y'all.
I'm growing morning glories (Ipomoea purpurea; Heavenly blues) for the first time.
I bought a pack of seeds and a seedling box (is that what it's called?) to sow the seeds in.
It's been a good week now and around half of the seedlings have popped up. I didn't entirely expect it to go so fast, and I think I will have to transplant the seedlings soon since the seedling pots they are in are very small.
However, I've recently read that morning glories don't take too well to being transplanted, and that you should sow them directly in the container you will grow them in as the seedlings do not like their roots to be disturbed.
Maybe someone here has some experience transplanting seedlings and could give me some tips?
Also, how much water do these plants like once they are past the seedling stage?
I would like to transplant each seedling into nicely sized pots with some woodwork they can latch onto.

Also, if I want to eventually put some of these plants directly into my garden soil at some point, would it be best to first raise them a bit more in a pot and later transplant them to the soil, or are seedlings sturdy enough to be planted outside straight away?

เฅ attached the following image(s):
morning_glory_seedlings.jpg (178kb) downloaded 96 time(s).
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

BundleflowerPower
#2 Posted : 5/23/2016 10:52:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't think so much about it. What I would do, since you have so many of them, is try different things with them. Grow some in pots, put some in the ground, grow some in shade under a tree, some in full sun. You're going to discover that a lot of what you read online about ipomoea is bullshit. For instance, they say they're not easily transplanted, that's bullshit, they say full sun is better, this seems to be bullshit as well.

Once you start to grow them, take them, connect with them, and form a relationship, you find that you'll just know it with them, or any other plant you connect with for that matter.

If I were you, I'd grow oluliuqui as well, it's much hardier, it lives for a long time, multiple years, and if you winters don't get too cold, say not below 28 f, it survives unprotected in the ground. It may be hardier than that though, but that's the coldest mine have been through so far.

Cognitive Heart
#3 Posted : 5/24/2016 12:38:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ipomoea purpurea's are most likely inactive. If you purchased heavenly blues, those are active ergine tricolors. I suggest to allow them to grow a bit more in their place with added support to grow upwards. That way, they are more stronger once you transport them and less likely to wither. Another week or so, I'd say.

They can be easily transported once they are strong enough as seedlings/young adults. Just be careful not to tear or rip the white roots out directly as they are quite fragile and sensitive to movement. Gently take each plot of soil the roots have grown through and submerge that plot into a bigger pot with fresh soil, and add more water and soil(if needed), and a longer climbing vessel. Ime, bamboo works wonders and is sturdy enough from wind or storms. Once your morning glory has grown some more, this pot can then be placed within the ground to give it more overall protection and continued, uninterrupted growth.

Hope this helps! Smile
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

BundleflowerPower
#4 Posted : 5/24/2016 1:30:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another thing you can do is grow them in plastic pots, then when they take that up, simply cut off the bottom of the pot and plant the whole thing.

Spiralout
#5 Posted : 5/24/2016 3:20:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If its not a biodegradable pot that theyre in then try to transplant carefully as possible

just start more...... its still early enough

morning glory grow easily and fast, get heavenly blue

you dont want them in a garden, they want to cling to stuff, grow against fence and chicken wire

BundleflowerPower
#6 Posted : 5/24/2016 3:39:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

They're not too bad in the garden, as long as you harvest all the seeds, the winter kills them anyway. Btw, pearly gates are good as well.

เฅ
#7 Posted : 5/24/2016 6:56:08 PM

Psilosopher

BundleflowerPower wrote:
Don't think so much about it. What I would do, since you have so many of them, is try different things with them. Grow some in pots, put some in the ground, grow some in shade under a tree, some in full sun. You're going to discover that a lot of what you read online about ipomoea is bullshit.

You're right. I guess I am overthinking it a bit since these plants are known to become quite virulent when not kept in check. I will experiment a bit and put some in various places outside while also keeping some in pots indoors.

Cognitive Heart wrote:
Ipomoea purpurea's are most likely inactive. If you purchased heavenly blues, those are active ergine tricolors. I suggest to allow them to grow a bit more in their place with added support to grow upwards. That way, they are more stronger once you transport them and less likely to wither. Another week or so, I'd say.

They can be easily transported once they are strong enough as seedlings/young adults. Just be careful not to tear or rip the white roots out directly as they are quite fragile and sensitive to movement. Gently take each plot of soil the roots have grown through and submerge that plot into a bigger pot with fresh soil, and add more water and soil(if needed), and a longer climbing vessel. Ime, bamboo works wonders and is sturdy enough from wind or storms. Once your morning glory has grown some more, this pot can then be placed within the ground to give it more overall protection and continued, uninterrupted growth.

Hope this helps! Smile

I got the seeds from an ethnobotanicals vendor, they are heavenly blues and should be active.
I'm only partly growing them for the later harvest, they will primarily serve as decorative creepers to make a barren wall at the edge of my garden a bit more appealing to the eyes. Since I needed a creeping plant in my garden anyway, I figured why not try to grow some morning glories while I'm at it Smile
Thanks for the info, sounds good. I have some bamboo sticks lying around that potted plants could latch onto.

spractral wrote:
If its not a biodegradable pot that theyre in then try to transplant carefully as possible

just start more...... its still early enough

morning glory grow easily and fast, get heavenly blue

you dont want them in a garden, they want to cling to stuff, grow against fence and chicken wire

Hmmm, I don't have much gardening experience, so I only just noticed that these seedling pots are indeed biodegradable. I didn't realize I could simply put these in the ground (or another pot) and that the roots would eat through them. Great! Big grin
For the plants I want to grow outside, I will be attaching some wooden trellis to a wall I want to grow them against. Still have quite a bit of seed left, so I will definitely be starting another batch after these are large enough to leave the seedling box Smile

Thanks for the information everyone, will post some follow-up pics once they are a bit taller Thumbs up
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Spiralout
#8 Posted : 5/24/2016 9:05:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mg might have a hard time getting through that biodegradable planter, i dont use those for any plants, im just saying yolu might as well try and get em to grow

start the next ones right in the soil, under trellis, mg like loose soile

เฅ
#9 Posted : 5/24/2016 11:58:47 PM

Psilosopher

spractral wrote:
mg might have a hard time getting through that biodegradable planter, i dont use those for any plants, im just saying yolu might as well try and get em to grow

I guess I could carefully cut the bottoms off these biodegradable pots when transplanting these seedlings. I'll start the next ones straight in soil though Thumbs up

BundleflowerPower
#10 Posted : 5/25/2016 1:30:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

เฅ wrote:
spractral wrote:

I guess I could carefully cut the bottoms off these biodegradable pots when transplanting these seedlings. I'll start the next ones straight in soil though Thumbs up

That's all you gotta do, cut off the bottom.

skoobysnax
#11 Posted : 5/27/2016 7:34:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've successfully transplanted them and moved others from one spot to another. Just be nice to the roots.

I would keep them out of the garden, even collecting every seed in sight they will volunteer with a vengeance once established in an area. But that is a good thing yes? Get some tricolors...
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?