We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
NASA has lack of funding for 'killer asteroid' search Options

richierich_931
#1 Posted : 8/12/2009 11:19:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was reading a local news article that said that NASA doesn't have the funding to locate the estimated 20,000 celestial objects that could pose a risk to the Earth (not that we could do anything anyway).

NASA stated that to do that job as REQUIRED BY LAW, they would need to spend $800 million between now and 2020 for a telescope on the ground or a space observation system. If NASA only got $300 million, they would be able to detect most objects larger than 1000ft (diameter).

So far NASA has received $0 from the government and may never receive funding because there aren't enough people pushing for it. The current expense for the US occupation of Iraq and other 'police action' is around $275,000,000 PER DAY !!! In less than a week NASA would receive more funding than they had allocated for 10 years.

Makes me mad... Just wanted to put my voice to words... It blows my fucking mind sometimes...
Why can't the supernatural just be, natural? After all, supernatural is just a term for aspects of nature that we do not understand...

Listen to your heart, it's telling you you're homesick for a place you've never been

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

HyperQuill
#2 Posted : 8/13/2009 1:35:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Unless someone can find a way to profit from searching for NEO's I wouldn't expect the situation to change anytime soon. On the other hand, if NASA had a viable way of mining and returning the minerals to Earth we'd have telescopes all over the world trying to find celestial objects within raping distance of American industry.

Yikes, I guess I'm feeling a little cynical todayEmbarrased

MagikVenom
#3 Posted : 8/13/2009 3:06:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I agree it sucks. Personally I think getting into space is a important task we humans should continue. I know many disagree and say feed the starving on earth and that is a very valid concern. Space exploration has brought us many new inventions and ideas and advanced our understanding more that most of us imagine.

The advancement of technology is what is going to solve many of our existing issues and if we could combine that with corporate responsibility we could really make some progress.

First we got to get off earth if the dinosaurs made it to space a few may be still alive now.
Then deep into our galaxy so when the sun does what it ultimately will do we will be looking for away out of the universe. That is our possible destiny if we make it that far.

And yes it is statistical likely that a asteroid or large meteor will hit the earth at some point so I think we need the technology.

The space shuttle is about as advanced as a eight track tape player. I would still love to take a ride in it nerveless.

I am hoping to see some progress before I make my final trip to Hyperspace.

PEACE
MV

burnt
#4 Posted : 8/13/2009 7:52:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Somebody just needs to get it in their heads that mining asteroids is the next big thing with a base on the moon and mars. Then we can build even bigger badder space ships and genetically design ourselves to be fit for space travel.

MagikVenom
#5 Posted : 8/13/2009 12:11:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Somebody just needs to get it in their heads that mining asteroids is the next big thing with a base on the moon and mars. Then we can build even bigger badder space ships and genetically design ourselves to be fit for space travel.

Sounds good to me I will be dead most likely but that wont stop me from getting the ball rollingLaughing

PEACE
MV