We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Somebody's Afraid...?! Options

Chan
#1 Posted : 5/21/2015 11:40:15 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

I've noticed a string of weird articles in the 'quality' press lately: people raving about their meds, rubbishing mindfulness and it's 'dangers' but this is something special:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/meditation-is-touted-as-a-cure-for-mental-instability-but-can-it-actually-be-bad-for-you-10268291.html
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ufostrahlen
#2 Posted : 5/22/2015 8:03:58 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Quote:
Somebody's Afraid...?!

Yes, it's the ego. Very happy
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

3rdI
#3 Posted : 5/22/2015 9:18:31 AM

veni, vidi, spici

about as convincing as DMT bust reports.

at least the comments are resonable
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Chan
#4 Posted : 5/22/2015 9:43:06 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Ufostrahlen wrote:

Yes, it's the ego. Very happy

NO MIND?! WHAT THE F*** DO YOU MEAN, A**HOLE? YOU BRING MY F***IN' MIND RIGHT BACK HERE, RIGHT NOW, OR ELSE...!

As Cartman might have said Twisted Evil
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

DreaMTripper
#5 Posted : 5/22/2015 11:46:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Although the article has a sense of alarm about it I do think Meditation isn't for everyone, both of the first 2 accounts were people predisposed to mental illness and as such I think it could be the same as for psychedelics, they are powerful intitiators of change, both biochemically and cognitively.
Someone with serious mental trauma may have it rapidly exposed and it could be too much to bare. Its been proven meditation alters neurological structures so for some people I would think it could be a harm rather than a help.

No Knowing
#6 Posted : 5/24/2015 6:33:58 PM

fool adept

A trustworthy dead man whose writings never steered me wronf[Israel Regardie] once said anyone trying to get into a serious spiritual practice [yogas, meditation, entheogens, magick, etc.] should do ALOT [5+ years] of psychotherapy with a trustworthy analyst first, or atleast alongside the spiritual work.

Psychotherapists are often chided for being shills but I can see the value in this prescription ESPECIALLY for those with possible mental illnesses. Bringing stuff up from the sub and unconscious before your self work brings it up could be very helpful.
In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended.-J.C. Lilly
The Spice must flow
Zat was Zen and dis is Dao.

Nathanial.Dread
#7 Posted : 6/1/2015 11:53:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know how the author of the Guardian article can possibly claim that we are culturally opposed to psychiatric medication when the pharmaceutical industries biggest sellers are all psych meds, a record number of people are taking some form of psychiatric medication, and people with non-neurotyptical brain and behavior types are forcibly treated with mild-altering drugs against their will.

As for the second article...it's dismally bad reporting, but all things can be dangerous, especially in excess. It doesn't surprise me that when people who've spent their whole world steeped in Western culture go off and immerse themselves in constant meditation, that they might have some adverse effects. It would probably be better if they were being trained by responsible, knowledgeable people who knew how to handle the change from a highly egoic state of being to an egoless one.

The problem is, the author seems to be saying that that's a problem with meditation, not our culture.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

amandanita
#8 Posted : 6/16/2015 9:27:58 AM

Love, love love love

No Knowing wrote:
A trustworthy dead man whose writings never steered me wronf[Israel Regardie] once said anyone trying to get into a serious spiritual practice [yogas, meditation, entheogens, magick, etc.] should do ALOT [5+ years] of psychotherapy with a trustworthy analyst first, or atleast alongside the spiritual work.

Psychotherapists are often chided for being shills but I can see the value in this prescription ESPECIALLY for those with possible mental illnesses. Bringing stuff up from the sub and unconscious before your self work brings it up could be very helpful.

Based on that I should have seen a psychiatrist since I was a toddler! Smile (Or if alongside, since before I was 10)

I agree that there are people who could use guidance to their meditation and other work involving their consciousness/subconscious/mind, especially some people with deep seated/complex mental issues, but I don't think everyone needs the guidance, and I don't believe psychotherapy can help someone with meditation more than I believe a heart surgeon can help with your stomach cancer. While there might be some overlap, I find that psychotherapy limits itself to completely different areas from meditation. Where there is any overlap it's because meditation, not psychotherapy, is so all-encompassing. Often where there is overlap it's minimal because psychotherapy rejects anything but certain kinds of techniques and goals.

I agree with the above posters, "the ego is afraid" Very happy Ego death is healthy! Perhaps the really useful tactic in curbing "diseases of the mind" would be to stop touting the importance of the ego and individuality? Just a thought Smile (But do so seeking a balance between ego and individuality and ego death and complete surrender to the collective?)
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God
In flesh and living blood
Resurrected fruit of the Tree of life

Intezam
#9 Posted : 5/5/2016 10:26:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hahahaha lol.....that picture...you know.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .....and now this

RhythmSpring
#10 Posted : 5/5/2016 2:07:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Meditation removes layers.

There's no guarantee that what's underneath those layers isn't hideous.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken