We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A problem fixed maybe ?? Options

Unitypixie
#1 Posted : 5/1/2016 11:49:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi I'm new here first post although I have been lurking and learning for a while before I go ahead with this , I have been feeling a pull towards DMT for around 6 months and am not going to step into it lightly , my problem though is I am on sertraline and while I know you should never mix MAOIs with SSRIs I was researching seratonin syndrome treatment and its Cyproheptadine an antihistamine..... Surely if I was to take this before having aya it would counteract SS ??
I realise this may be such a stupid question but I want to have aya rather than trying to extract and failing , t.I.a. Embarrased

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Unitypixie
#2 Posted : 5/2/2016 12:43:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Has nobody replied because they don't know or because its a stupid question ??

Jees
#3 Posted : 5/2/2016 1:31:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dunno about that meds so I fall in the first category.

PS: Do I read that clock wrong or was 50 minutes enough to get impatient? Big grin

Unitypixie
#4 Posted : 5/2/2016 2:08:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks and maybe impatient a little but it was 12 hours ago 😁✌

pitubo
#5 Posted : 5/2/2016 3:52:47 PM

dysfunctional word machine

PLEASE DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH SEROTONIN SYNDROME!

Tweaking of selected serotonin receptors with psychedelics may be all fun and games, but serotonin syndrome is no joke. Don't think light-heartedly of it and don't even consider trying to medicate around it, especially if you are a medical lay person. The circumstance that a substance is used in the management of serotonin syndrome does not imply that it will also act as a preventative measure.

You should really be asking these questions to the medical professional who prescribed the ssri's to you. That person is in the best position to advise you on the basis of your personal details.

Here on the forum, we are generally not medically qualified, so we will not give you any medical advice. That would be very irresponsible. This may be the reason you got no immediate response: nobody knows or feels qualified to give an answer.

If you are lucky, our only member who is a medical doctor might chime in with a more qualified opinion. Even though I cannot speak for him, I fully expect him to advise you negatively in this case and to additionally refer you to your own doctor.

pitubo
#6 Posted : 5/2/2016 4:07:00 PM

dysfunctional word machine

To add to the previous post: it appears that cyproheptadine and maoi's have potential for bad interactions. That would mean putting three compounds, an ssri, cyproheptadine and a maoi, all with complicated and potentially very dangerous mutual interactions, into your system.

Just don't mess around with that.

corpus callosum
#7 Posted : 5/3/2016 7:22:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Cyproheptadine has both anti-histamine and anti-serotonin effects and has been used to treat Serotonin Syndrome- it doesn't however alter the time taken for the syndrome to resolve, but simply reduces some of the symptoms. As with many anti-histamines it also has anti-cholinergic effects and the product monograph for branded Cyproheptadine (aka Periactin) states that it should not be used concurrently with MAOIs as this can magnify its anti-cholinergic effects. For this reason taking it with aya is ill-advised irrespective of whether or not one is taking an SSRI, which is a contra-indication in itself for concurrent use of MAOIs.

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Ulim
#8 Posted : 5/4/2016 1:01:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
Cyproheptadine has both anti-histamine and anti-serotonin effects and has been used to treat Serotonin Syndrome- it doesn't however alter the time taken for the syndrome to resolve, but simply reduces some of the symptoms. As with many anti-histamines it also has anti-cholinergic effects and the product monograph for branded Cyproheptadine (aka Periactin) states that it should not be used concurrently with MAOIs as this can magnify its anti-cholinergic effects. For this reason taking it with aya is ill-advised irrespective of whether or not one is taking an SSRI, which is a contra-indication in itself for concurrent use of MAOIs.

Listen to the doctor. And do some more research. I would never take MAOIs with SSRIs. Maybe you can look up MAOI free ways of taking dmt but do more research on that.