We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
New LSD docus - Orange Sunshine | The Sunshine Makers Options

#1 Posted : 3/27/2016 2:34:37 AM

Psilosopher

Has anyone been following up on these two new documentaries coming out this year?

Orange Sunsine

Quote:
If you are going to break the law, you’ll need a little help from your friends.

In the early 1960’s, a group of family, friends and surfers out of sleepy, coastal Orange County, California formed a church centered around psychedelics. The group was known as the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, and their mission was to change the world.

Featuring interviews with founding members, including heads of the group Michael Randall and Carol Griggs who have never shared their story before, the film offers a rare insider look into the provocative group, following them through their radicalization from idealist students to outlaws.

Using photos and super 8 recreations, Orange Sunshine whisks viewers away on a drug smuggling tale like no other.

Angered by America’s war in Vietnam and determined to bring about positive social change, former members share their personal experiences of “turning on.” But in just a few short years, as demand grew, they would move very quickly from experimenting, to manufacturing LSD, trafficking, sale and distribution.

Part cat-and-mouse, part exploration of the groundwork that would eventually become The War on Drugs, the film speaks to former members, defense attorney Michael Kennedy, and key law enforcement pursuing the Brotherhood, as their operations grow to include other illicit drugs and they travel through Europe, Afghanistan and South America, growing up, falling in love, and constantly evading capture. We are taken through first-hand accounts of LSD advocate Timothy Leary’s infamous prison break, and the Federal takedown of the group as they risk their family, lives and freedom, in the name of enlightenment.

Together we look back with the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, once the largest distributors of Hash and Psychedelics in the world, at this heady, tumultuous period in America’s history - what they gained, the price they paid, and what that means for the America of today.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5119260
http://www.orangesunshinemovie.com/

The Sunshine Makers

Quote:
A real-life Breaking Bad for the psychedelic set, The Sunshine Makers reveals the entertaining, untold story of Nicholas Sand and Tim Scully, the unlikely duo at the heart of 1960s American drug counterculture. United in a utopian mission to save the planet through the consciousness- raising power of LSD, these underground chemists manufactured a massive amount of acid, including the gold standard for quality LSD, Orange Sunshine, as they tried to stay one step ahead of the feds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4456270/
https://www.vice.com/rea...lsd-orange-sunshine-1117

A few short excerpts:
https://vimeo.com/143664721
https://vimeo.com/145522551

Both of these look incredibly interesting. Many of these other psychedelic-related documentaries seem to fade into obscurity after they have been screened at numerous festivals. Does anyone know if these will be sold on DVD, or if we will be able to pay for a download or something after they have made the rounds? I would love to know more! Pleased
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Swarupa
#2 Posted : 4/7/2016 12:29:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm unfamiliar with the history of The Brotherhood of Eternal Love, should be an interesting watch.

I came across this interview with the director recently

endlessness
#3 Posted : 4/7/2016 1:04:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

looks very interesting, thanks for sharing!

The books "acid dreams" as well as "brotherhood of eternal love" are excellent too.

#4 Posted : 4/28/2016 6:43:53 PM

Psilosopher

Swarupa wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the history of The Brotherhood of Eternal Love, should be an interesting watch.

I came across this interview with the director recently

Hey, cool. I haven't seen this before, thanks for posting.
I really want to see this docu now, hopefully it will become available to the general public soon Smile

endlessness wrote:
looks very interesting, thanks for sharing!

The books "acid dreams" as well as "brotherhood of eternal love" are excellent too.

I 100% agree with Acid Dreams. I originally read it online somewhere but have since bought a paper copy for myself, I think there is no better book afaik that tells the history of LSD, and the social changes that came with it, from a variety of angles and written in a really engaging and fun to read way. Brotherhood of Eternal Love is still on my to-read list, but I will probably be picking it up sometime later this year Smile
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

endlessness
#5 Posted : 4/28/2016 7:17:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think there were a couple of factual mistakes with brotherhood of eternal love, forgot what it was, but for the most part it is right, and its a very interesting read.

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 4/29/2016 11:34:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for posting this...

I heard there was going to be some sort of Nick sand story type film...but was not sure if there was truth in it.

Cool stuff, I'll have to check this out.

-eg

waitwhatwhere
#7 Posted : 4/29/2016 4:42:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Patrick Lundborg's Psychedelia: An Ancient Culture, A Modern Way of Life covers Orange Sunshine (and a crapton of other topics) in great detail. Only available on Kindle...check it out!Cool
"The mystic cannot communicate, but the artist can." ~Robert Anton Wilson

starway6
#8 Posted : 4/29/2016 9:57:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was there in 69 and am still tripping of the orange sunshine i took to this day..Thumbs up

Timothy Leary's Last Trip - YouTube
Video for tim learys last trip..you tube▶ 55:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ti_TWbKUBg
Mar 17, 2012 - Uploaded by Vraciusmusicjones
With The Merry Pranksters Ken Kesey Ken Babbs George Walker Neal Cassady Wavy Gravy O.B. Babbs ..

Swarupa
#9 Posted : 11/2/2016 1:02:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I hear that the Orange Sunshine documentary is now available on iTunes.

I read 'Acid Dreams' recently and it was an interesting book, thanks for the recommendation. Smile

TGO
#10 Posted : 11/2/2016 6:43:48 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

It is indeed on iTunes! Just finished watching it and needless to say, it was awesome and informative!

Thumbs up Thumbs up

Love
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Wolfnippletip
#11 Posted : 11/2/2016 9:03:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Orange Sunshine, the book by Nick Schou about The Brotherhood of Eternal Love is a good read. I look forward to seeing the Documentary.

Another good read is "Storming Heaven - LSD and the American Dream" by Jay Stevens
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Anaman
#12 Posted : 1/27/2017 11:11:52 AM

~

The Sunshine Makers is online today, looking forward to watching over the weekend.

I think we'll hear more from Nick Sand in this one, although the best quote so far has to go to Michael Randall in the trailer...

TGO
#13 Posted : 2/9/2017 5:07:18 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Having watched both of these wonderfully made documentaries, I highly recommend them to everyone on the Nexus.
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

dreamer042
#14 Posted : 2/9/2017 5:19:53 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

The Grateful One wrote:
Having watched both of these wonderfully made documentaries, I highly recommend them to everyone on the Nexus.

^^^
Both movies are very well made and share their respective stories directly from the mouths of the people who were there. Highly recommended! Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

silvertriptamine
#15 Posted : 2/21/2017 11:20:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

have watched orange sunshine as i heard about it last year and have been on the hunt for it needless to say i forgot about it until i heard about the sunshine makers. i managed to get a copy of both will be watching sunshine makers soon, just got myself some of them imperial storm trooper lsd tabs makes me think will they one day be a documentary when were in our old and greys about the new age lsd makers.

Mod wrote:
Edited

downwardsfromzero
#16 Posted : 2/22/2017 2:58:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

silvertriptamine wrote:
have watched orange sunshine as i heard about it last year and have been on the hunt for it needless to say i forgot about it until i heard about the sunshine makers. i managed to get a copy of both will be watching sunshine makers soon, just got myself some of them imperial storm trooper lsd tabs makes me think will they one day be a documentary when were in our old and greys about the new age lsd makers

Attitude page. Stop

Mod wrote:
Please avoid quoting things that are against the attitude as this makes it harder for us to clean up these posts. Thanks!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

exquisitus
#17 Posted : 2/22/2017 11:31:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

also listen to erik davis' latest podcast. interviews a key player in the sunshine story.

Aum_Shanti
#18 Posted : 2/23/2017 9:30:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I posted this already in this thread:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=786587#post786587

But if you were interested in the sunshine makers, then you will probably also like to read this reddit thread, where e.g. Scully does some Q&A on it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5r2wn7/im_filmmaker_cosmo_feilding_mellen_i_made_the/
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.