We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Never10: Stop Windows 10 Upgrade Options

a1pha
#1 Posted : 3/31/2016 11:52:15 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Never10

Gibson Research Corporation
(a trusted source)

GRC wrote:
The name “Never 10” is a bit of an overstatement, since this utility may also be used to easily re-enable Windows operating system automatic upgrading. But the primary reason for using this is to disable Windows' pestering insistence upon upgrading Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Many users of Windows 7 and 8.1 are happy with their current version of Windows, and have no wish to upgrade to Windows 10. There are many reasons for this, but among them is the fact that Windows 10 has become controversial due to Microsoft's evolution of their Windows operating system platform into a service which, among other things, aggressively monitors and reports on its users activities. This alone makes many users uncomfortable enough to cause them to choose to wait. In line with this, a few months into 2016, Windows 10 started displaying unsolicited advertisements on its users' desktops. Others dislike the changes Microsoft made by merging their failed “tiled” smartphone user-interface into the Windows UI. And, finally, some object to being force-fed whatever Microsoft wants and simply wish to choose for themselves.

In July of 2015, responding to the significant user backlash, Microsoft added features to its Windows Update facility which allow it to be configured, on a machine-by-machine basis, to not forcibly upgrade qualifying Windows 7 and 8.1 operating systems to Windows 10. However, Microsoft did not make this configuration simple. It requires the use of the group policy editor (which is not present in some qualifying systems) and/or the system registry. In other words, they created some deep internal configuration options but chose not to provide a simple user-interface to give their users the choice. “Never10” provides that choice.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Jees
#2 Posted : 4/1/2016 7:09:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Done, thank you.

Never10 said that automatic W10 updating was enabled, strange bc my auto updates are always disabled.

It would really be outraging to find suddenly W10 at the system, unasked for. They must be joking giving the date?

TGO
#3 Posted : 4/1/2016 1:11:32 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

When Windows first started offering "Windows 10 For Free" I thought, cool, that is strangely nice of them. Then I made the horrible mistake of actually updating my computer that is designed to run windows 8 to windows 10. At first it was okay, but then all these random processes would cause my computer to use 100% disk or 100% RAM when I was staring at my desktop background and not running any programs.

I found a bunch of temporary fixes online like disabling superfetch and other silly things, but none of them fixed the problem fully. These issues were not caused by a virus either. Long story short, I had to backup all my files to an external hard drive and reset my computer to factory settings to get back to Windows 8. Lesson learned.

Nerver10 does sound interesting though. I think I'll look more into it since I get a pop up every couple of hours asking me if I want to upgrade to Windows 10 still....

New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Curb
#4 Posted : 4/1/2016 2:33:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the way i got rid of this was to uninstall the package. KB3035583. restart windows. do not install updates. restart windows. check for updates. find KB3035583 right click it and hide update.

never again will i be bothered by this and i can keep auto updates on. Also for myself being a big fan of windows XP and windows 7 (but to a lesser degree) i really cannot do without START. the windows 8 homescreen thing is an insult. i could rant for ages. but here is my solution: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

it gives you alot of customization too, like being able to close programs with mousewheel click (just like browser tabs) or to turn the volume up/down by scrolling over the date/time. happy windows tuning
"you know, there are many people in the country today... who, through no fault of their own: are sane. some of them were born sane, some of them became sane later in their lives. it is up to people like you and me (who are out of our tiny little minds) to try and help these people overcome their sanity" -Monty Python

"I have reasoned and i have logicked and mentally discovered with my mindthoughts that this world (the one we live in) is created by people. people are making this happen." - Unpopular Youtuber

concombres
#5 Posted : 4/1/2016 5:06:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pardon my French but F*** microsoft.
Why even bother with all the monitoring & predatory advertisement when Linux is distributed freely?

a1pha
#6 Posted : 4/1/2016 5:14:26 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Curb wrote:
Also for myself being a big fan of windows XP and windows 7 (but to a lesser degree) i really cannot do without START. the windows 8 homescreen thing is an insult. i could rant for ages. but here is my solution: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Hrmm, haven't tried Start8/10. Looks interesting. I'm a fan of the free utility Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) but it's always nice to have an alternative. Thanks!

concombres wrote:
Why even bother with all the monitoring & predatory advertisement when Linux is distributed freely?

Of course I am a big fan of Unix/Linux but many still base networks on Windows. Server 2008 R2/Windows 7 is a solid foundation for a corporate network. No one does group policies like MS. However, seeing the DoD transition to Windows 10 is interesting -- Though it's Windows 10 SHB which does not include many of the privacy-cringing policies of the consumer version (telemetry to Admin vs MS/advertisers).
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

pitubo
#7 Posted : 4/1/2016 8:10:28 PM

dysfunctional word machine

concombres wrote:

Linux will even let you configure the display to be reflected horizontally, so you can read the nexus on any day. Laughing

I did ditch ubuntu after they started doing all sorts of funky phone-home stuff and went straight back to debian.

Strigiform
#8 Posted : 4/5/2016 3:49:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've heard it said: "When it's free, you are the product".

I hope that this does not extend to GPL Big grin

SynKyd
#9 Posted : 4/5/2016 4:52:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

concombres wrote:

You spelled BUTT wrong Twisted Evil

Honestly, it's Microsoft. My general statement to all involved is there are better options if you seek them out. If you don't then save your breath. These conversations are now 20+ years old and happen every time a new version surfaces from their beta community (which is complete bullshit; real companies pay people to actually test their code).

Facts are simple and proven, they don't care about us, they don't know within their own house what's going on in the next room, and they consistently build systems to self destruct in 8-10 years so they can sell you the next one. It's amazing they still can make a buck as bad as their product is at the corporate level. The "fortune 50" company I'm most familiar with (in the form of a paycheck) consistently pays them $1500-$2500 a day per person to come fix the problems they should have caught through simple integration testing. And kiss their BUT while we do it. They are the scourge of technology.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

pitubo
#10 Posted : 4/5/2016 2:30:31 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Strigiform wrote:
I've heard it said: "When it's free, you are the product".

I hope that this does not extend to GPL Big grin

You may be mixing up "gratis" and "freedom" here.