We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
(HowTo) Neutralize Ayahuasca Options

Assen878
#1 Posted : 3/24/2016 12:40:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello to all,
i heard thath two things can help to stop an ayahuasca trip:

lemonade
sucrose
(It emerged from the topic that both lemonade and sucrose could actually increse the power of aya, so be careful!)

it's true? can someone test this methods?

And then, there are other methods that you know?
Things that can help but won't take you off a trip:
Alprazolam
Cold Shower
Throw up

Thank you all.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

3rdI
#2 Posted : 3/24/2016 12:55:06 PM

veni, vidi, spici

INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Dogbark
#3 Posted : 3/24/2016 1:25:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Theres no way that lemonade or sugar will cancel the trip. To fully stop a high dose trip youd probably need a strong hypnotic like propofol or a barbiturate. Problem is that both are incredibly dangerous and impossible to get a hold of.

I agree with 3rdI that if you have a difficult experience its best to just ride it out.

travsha
#4 Posted : 3/24/2016 4:07:30 PM

Share Love ~

Sugar makes the Ayahuasca stronger actually. So that is horrible advice whoever gave that to you.

A cold shower can sometimes get you out of the delerious craziness people sometimes get into when they drink too much. Wont stop the Ayahuasca, but can help them ground a little bit.

Having a shaman sing the right songs to you also can help calm things down, but wont make it stop.

You cant make it stop once you drink it - it stops on its own. That is why it is good to drink less if you are unsure about dosage - because you can always drink more later, but you can never undrink it once its digested.

pinkoyd
#5 Posted : 3/24/2016 4:41:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

I disagree travsha about the shaman thing. When I was in Ecuador a shaman once got me stone cold sober after about three minutes of singing, shaking his leaf rattle and spitting aguardiente over me. I wasn't on a huge dose at the time, but I did have a large dose the night before and decided I didn't want to be back up on that horse so soon. Trip aborted just like that. Amazing.

That said I agree with the rest of the comments here; it's generally best just to ride it out and learn the lessons.
I already asked Alice.

AstraLex
#6 Posted : 3/24/2016 5:34:28 PM

Russian-Orthodox Christian

If you have access to fast-acting benzodiazepines, like Alprazolam (Xanax), it would most likely help to calm a person down and remove the sharp edge's from the anxiety.

If somebody becomes extremely aggressive and poses a real danger to him/herself or the environment, it is probably best to call the ambulance and tell the paramedics that the person may be suffering from a substance-induced psychosis.

Lemonade and sugar are just fairy-tales and wont help in my opinion. However, it might be a useful placebo for some people.
I took the red pill.

travsha
#7 Posted : 3/24/2016 6:46:59 PM

Share Love ~

pinkoyd wrote:
I disagree travsha about the shaman thing. When I was in Ecuador a shaman once got me stone cold sober after about three minutes of singing, shaking his leaf rattle and spitting aguardiente over me. I wasn't on a huge dose at the time, but I did have a large dose the night before and decided I didn't want to be back up on that horse so soon. Trip aborted just like that. Amazing.

That said I agree with the rest of the comments here; it's generally best just to ride it out and learn the lessons.

It works sometimes.... But it is different to say that a shaman can bring you down from any level of experience in a few minutes.

I was thinking of a large over the top dose in my post.... Otherwise, why would the shaman need to stop it for you?

Everything is relative to the specific situation. How deep are you in the experience and how long do they have to take you out of it? Are you 100% out or just most of the way out? How effective is the shaman in that ceremony? These all play a role in how much they can bring you down.

travsha
#8 Posted : 3/24/2016 6:51:37 PM

Share Love ~

AstraLex wrote:
If you have access to fast-acting benzodiazepines, like Alprazolam (Xanax), it would most likely help to calm a person down and remove the sharp edge's from the anxiety.

If somebody becomes extremely aggressive and poses a real danger to him/herself or the environment, it is probably best to call the ambulance and tell the paramedics that the person may be suffering from a substance-induced psychosis.

Lemonade and sugar are just fairy-tales and wont help in my opinion. However, it might be a useful placebo for some people.

Calling an ambulance would be horrible... It would get them out of your hair so you dont have to worry about them anymore, but would probably make their fear worse going into that sterile environment... Many years ago when I was dosed unknowingly someone called and ambulance and it made the situation 100 times worse and scarier and more traumatic for me.

All the ambulance will do is knock you out with Valium or other drugs and toss you in a room to sleep it off... I woke up in a padded room not knowing where I was or how I had got there and still heavily under the influence in my case... Was very scary and traumatizing.

ShamensStamen
#9 Posted : 3/24/2016 8:48:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Lemon, as far as i know, actually enhances Ayahuasca.

The only way i know how to stop an experience, is to throw up, which always seems to calm things down for me.

Ufostrahlen
#10 Posted : 3/24/2016 10:43:33 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

AstraLex wrote:

I agree. Lorazepam would be even better and should go well with Harmalas. But don't believe my words, always get a 2nd opinion. L might be even a smarter admixture than toé, but I haven't tried this yet.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Assen878
#11 Posted : 3/28/2016 6:32:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I agree with wath 3rdI posted, but my main intention with this topic was to try to find a way to avoid not just a bad trip, but a potentially dangery situation.

I mean, if a person ride off a trip too son, it's a loss for him and him only. But if a person "go mad" and became a danger for himself or others, that can be a danger for the community all. We all know what people, media and politicians think about drugs. So having a method to control a situation like this could be a way to be much safer.

I will add the info regarding what emerged from from users' contributions to the main post.
If someone, for any reason, disagrees, let me know here or whit a private message, no problem.

Regarding the sucrose, my info came from an italian forum, but was a post from a user only, so...

The lemonade things however came from a shaman:

... After a few hours (at least I think it was a few hours) [he] left the maloka and returned with some lemonade for me to drink. He explained that citrus juice helps to neutralize the ayahuasca. I’m not sure if it helped or not but there was something that did happen.

http://reset.me/personal-story/personal-story-treating-depression-and-anxiety-with-ayahuasca-and-huachuma/

If someone could test this method would be great.

Ufostrahlen: what do you mean with Lorazepam and Harmalas? They work well toghether? Thank you.

oversoul1919
#12 Posted : 3/28/2016 6:40:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Strong opiates will dull the experience, as will the benzos. SSRIs may also help.

But I don't recommend any of these. "Et hoc transibit ".

a1pha
#13 Posted : 3/28/2016 6:43:22 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

I always keep alprazolam nearby for long-acting psychedelics. Lorazepam works as well but is a bit overkill and highly addictive. So is alprazolam but less so. Please use extreme caution if you decide to keep these kinds of medication on-hand. They do work, however, and necessary for me when I'm ready to end the trip and get some rest.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

a1pha
#14 Posted : 3/28/2016 6:44:59 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

oversoul1919 wrote:
SSRIs may also help.

Shouldn't there be a big bold warning next to this when harmalas are involved?

Please do not advise SSRIs and harmalas as it can lead to DEATH.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

oversoul1919
#15 Posted : 3/28/2016 6:52:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
oversoul1919 wrote:
SSRIs may also help.

Shouldn't there be a big bold warning next to this when harmalas are involved?

Please do not advise SSRIs and harmalas as it can lead to DEATH.

Yes! You're right! Never ever mix two. Sorry. Even some opiates are contraindicated with MAOIs. So benzos could be only option of those I mentioned.

And I can't seem to even begin to conceive of how would citrus juice kill the ya trip.

dreamer042
#16 Posted : 3/28/2016 7:43:53 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Harmalas are inverse agonists at the benzo (gaba-a) receptor, basically an anti-benzo. Therefore the benzo cheat isn't gonna save you here, that receptor is already filled.

Don't buy the ticket if you can't handle the ride.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

BringsUsTogether
#17 Posted : 3/28/2016 7:46:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe etizolam is still unscheduled in the United States, so that might be an option for you if you can't get a prescription for alprazolam or the like.

And as the others said, stay away from SSRIs and opiates as you cannot use them with harmalas.

ShamensStamen
#18 Posted : 3/28/2016 8:06:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
Harmalas are inverse agonists at the benzo (gaba-a) receptor, basically an anti-benzo. Therefore the benzo cheat isn't gonna save you here, that receptor is already filled.

Actually if you take it before or with the Rue/Harmaline, it counteracts Harmaline's GABA-A inverse agonism. Like if i take Lemon Balm, or Lemon Essential Oil, 10 minutes before or with the Rue, then it feels much cleaner and Harmaline's GABA-A inverse agonism seems to be counteracted. So if you take a benzo a little bit before or with the Rue/Harmaline, things should be fine.

If you have time, perhaps try 3 to 4 grams of dried Lemon Balm leaves with Rue and you'll see how much cleaner it feels.

Nathanial.Dread
#19 Posted : 3/28/2016 8:48:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:

It could be more complicated then that, depending on the comparative affinities for the receptor as well as what the active sites are. Benzos are positive alosteric modulators, which means they bind somewhere other than the site of the endogenous ligand. If Harmala's bind somewhere else, it's not a question of filling the receptor, so much as it is which has a stronger effect.

Even if they had the same binding site, if you found a benzo with a significantly higher affinity that the harmala, it should preferentially occupy the target site. That's why you can use something like risperdone to terminate an LSD trip: the Ki of LSD (a partial agonist) at the 5-HT2Ar is 2.9nM, while risperdone (an inverse agonist) has Ki=0.17nM.

The question of how to terminate an ayahuasca trip is kind of a fun puzzle actually, since the set of bio-active molecules rocking around your brain is a little bit more complex then something like just psilocybin or just 25i.

Ketanserin is probably your best bet, although good luck getting that OTC. Highly selective, high affinity 2A/C antagonist with very little other activity, apart from some antihistamine and antidopamine properties. Unlikely to play badly with an MAOI. You could deal with any anxiogenic effects with a high potency benzo: something like alprazolam or triazolam.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

zknarc
#20 Posted : 3/28/2016 10:06:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would have thought anti-psychotics would be the best bet. I have Seroquel and Lamictal available but have no intention of making myself a pharma guinea pig.

It would be nice if there was a psychedelic equivalent of Naloxone as a last ditch option if things got out of control.

Edit: one alternative option might be Bach Flower Rescue Remedy
“The future remains uncertain and so it should, for it is the canvas upon which we paint our desires. Thus always the human condition faces a beautifully empty canvas. We possess only this moment in which to dedicate ourselves continuously to the sacred presence which we share and create.”

12NEXT