We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Drying shrooms with epsom salt Options

Anoki Ashoora
#1 Posted : 3/18/2016 2:49:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi my fellow psychonauts!

This little topic is intended to show you how I - for the first time - attempted to dry cubensis, using epsom salt. I used the most common utensils and methods for this drying process, so some of you may enlighten me of more elaborate and refined ways.

What I did was, basically after harvesting the bigger ones of my PE mushrooms, I proceeded to cutting them all in halves, lengthwise. Cutting them in such a fashion would allow for an at least 2 times faster drying then if I was to let them dry intact, and I also thought it would be nice to have an "end product" that still resembled mushrooms, as opposed to having little diced bits and pieces. Hence the halves. After allowing them to dry for a couple of days at room temperature in a rather low humidity room, I thought it was time to turn the drying process up one notch higher, to acquire the cracker-dry type consistency (note, If you want to be able to store your shrooms for longer periods, drying them completely is a must).

So next step was baking some epsom salt. Epsom salt is the common name for magnesium sulphate, and it has the capacity to suck moisture out of its surrounding atmosphere, if it has been exposed to heat (200+ degrees C) for as long as 1,5-2 hours, right before using it as a desiccant. I put about 4 teaspoons of the epsom into a baking tray that I lined with a double-layered aluminium foil. Tossed the tray in the pre-heated oven, and waited 1,5 hours.

In the meantime I washed and dried two regular glass milk bottles. My idea was to put the epsom in the bottles, put some sort of a paper towel in it, and then place the pre-dried mushrooms in the inside. I am still not quite sure whether the amount of epsom was sufficient, but since I was not drying ounces of shrooms I thought it'll be okay. Anyways, it is really important to work quite fast with the hot and freshly baked epsom salt, because as it cools it starts to attract water mulecules from the air, so it is advisable to put them straight into the whatever container you are using and seal the container while you figure out how to put some sort of a grid or piece of paper and the mushrooms in the inside of the jars. I just used regular paper towels, as mentioned earlier.

The shroomies are now in the milk glasses, the epsom sucking every last bit of moisture out of them (hopefully).
Anoki Ashoora attached the following image(s):
IMG_20160318_104527.jpg (621kb) downloaded 196 time(s).
IMG_20160318_104631.jpg (625kb) downloaded 196 time(s).
IMG_20160318_105500.jpg (605kb) downloaded 192 time(s).
IMG_20160318_105759.jpg (544kb) downloaded 193 time(s).
IMG_20160318_120914.jpg (608kb) downloaded 193 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

LibertyforAll
#2 Posted : 3/18/2016 4:33:49 PM

Claro in Vitam

Cool. Once I had a large pile of panaelous cinctulus, and I added salt to them, and it was a horrible mess.
I believe in freedom for everyone.
'movies are for people who lack real drugs.' -anne halonium

Anoki Ashoora
#3 Posted : 3/18/2016 7:46:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What was you method of adding the salt to them? Was it epsom? Did you bake it beforehand?

Koornut
#4 Posted : 3/18/2016 8:10:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This adds nothing to the convo but I just wanted to point out how effervescent your hand signals are Very happy
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 3/18/2016 11:14:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've used calcium chloride room dehumidifier in an old ice cream tub, air dry the shrooms first using a fan under a mesh. The right ice cream tub should be completely air-tight and provides better access than a bottle. Place a layer of baking paper on top of the calcium chloride before adding the shrooms, preferably in a paper bag, then seal the lid.

Good results in two weeks or less. If the mushrooms are mostly dry before adding to the dehumidifier, the calcium chloride can last for years.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#6 Posted : 3/19/2016 4:06:13 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I've also dried shrooms over epsom salts (dehydrated .... microwave epsom salts for 5-10 mins), in a vacuum desiccator overnight. they became cracker dry by the next day.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

LibertyforAll
#7 Posted : 3/22/2016 4:34:40 PM

Claro in Vitam

Anoki Ashoora wrote:
What was you method of adding the salt to them? Was it epsom? Did you bake it beforehand?

No, I just put them, fresh, in a container and added sodium chloride salt to them and tossed. How stupid in retrospect Sick Shocked
the water came out almost immediately, of course dissolving the salt as well which increased the mess of it, the mushrooms turned basically into goo, and when I dried them after removing from the ~50mL of water that extracted out of them they were crusted in salt crystals Very happy

So yeah never do that, eating salty mushrooms is really really bad tasting, much worse than the already iffy mushroom taste.
This was when I was a young lad.
It was pretty bizarre, it was like salting a slug it just destroyed the mushrooms

Spaced Out 2
#8 Posted : 3/23/2016 12:31:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

LibertyforAll wrote:
Anoki Ashoora wrote:

No, I just put them, fresh, in a container and added sodium chloride salt to them and tossed. How stupid in retrospect Sick Shocked
the water came out almost immediately, of course dissolving the salt as well which increased the mess of it, the mushrooms turned basically into goo, and when I dried them after removing from the ~50mL of water that extracted out of them they were crusted in salt crystals Very happy

So yeah never do that, eating salty mushrooms is really really bad tasting, much worse than the already iffy mushroom taste.
This was when I was a young lad.
It was pretty bizarre, it was like salting a slug it just destroyed the mushrooms

Ouch! Lesson learned Laughing Oh the mistakes we make when we are young.
Salting slugs is cruel, unless they are eatin on your outdoor shroomsWink

LibertyforAll
#9 Posted : 3/23/2016 3:13:29 AM

Claro in Vitam

Well I don't advocate salting mushrooms, slugs or snails; however leeches are understandable. Diatomaceous Earth is a snail, slug's worst enemy! Kinda cruel but there seems to be some consensus to not caring about insect life amongst humans.

Anoki Ashoora
#10 Posted : 3/25/2016 7:11:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome informations, thanks for sharing Very happy Very happy