We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sodium Hydroxide levels Options

Jaffster
#1 Posted : 3/10/2016 7:31:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

A quick question regarding Sodium Hydroxide / Caustic Soda.

Now, I think we have all experienced moments whereby the solution infront of us just won't seperate, or you've got emulsion from hell etc etc. All of these problems are quickly rectified by adding more Sodium Hydroxide into the solution.

I initially started with a 10/1 ratio per ml of water, but having horrid tap water in these parts I upped it slightly. However I still had the same issues pretty much every time I did an extraction.

Now I am at the stage where I don't bother weighing it out anymore, I pour into the flask, make sure it's pH14 and add bark. If the solution takes too long to seperate or I get any emulsion then I just pour more Sodium Hydroxide into the solution which fixes it every time.

My question to you all, there's obviously issues with using too little S.Hydroxide, but can any issues arise from using too much?

Imagine the total opposite of a chemist.... and that's what I am. So please, enlighten me Smile

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

TGO
#2 Posted : 3/11/2016 12:00:59 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Hey Jaffster, I think this will answer your question which was found in the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Alternatively, one can just add enough lye for the solution to turn completely black, and go ahead and extract. If emulsions form, add more lye. One does not need to worry about over-basifying, there's no such thing. Excess lye will stay behind in the water layer once you separate the solvent in any case.

Cheers and good luck!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Jaffster
#3 Posted : 3/11/2016 12:24:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:
Hey Jaffster, I think this will answer your question which was found in the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Alternatively, one can just add enough lye for the solution to turn completely black, and go ahead and extract. If emulsions form, add more lye. One does not need to worry about over-basifying, there's no such thing. Excess lye will stay behind in the water layer once you separate the solvent in any case.

Cheers and good luck!

Smile

Perfect, it's good to be reminded that FAQ's can come in handy no matter what.

Thanks TGO!