We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Substitute for lye crystals? Options

Indulgence
#1 Posted : 7/10/2009 3:57:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I started an A/B exctraction with 1 lb. of mimosa. Cooked it in acid and filtered the plant shit out. Not gonna defat because it appears to be unnecessary when using MHRB. And now it appears they've stopped selling Roebic at Lowe's. Buying any online seems impossible since I live with my roommate who's name is on the lease and he doesn't want any legal implications and such. Well, I've come across this link - It's the first product on the page, check out the MSDS and it says it contains NaOH, KOH, and water, although the amounts it says it contains of each vary quite a bit. Says the pH level is 14 and it is completely soluble in water, seems okay but I figured I'd ask. So, you think it would be fine to use? and do you think I should dilute it with some water before adding it to my acidic dmt mixture?

Thanks...

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Indulgence
#2 Posted : 7/10/2009 6:51:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, if those are the only ingredients it will be fine, I just hope those are the only ones. I've heard of several people using KOH so no worries there. I suppose I'm just going to have to try and find out...

EDIT: Yeah, honestly I'm not worried about any heat because of buying lye, but I'm not the one who's name is on the lease of the apartment we're renting, so he kinda has the final say.

Indulgence
#3 Posted : 7/11/2009 8:29:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, I went ahead and tried. I'm evaporating as I type this, should know in a couple of days.

Anyone know any way I'm going to be able to tell if there was other shit in that drain cleaner and if it's going to affect my product?

Indulgence
#4 Posted : 7/13/2009 8:19:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I got home after being away for two days to find my glass covered in nice white crystals, a few of them being a bit yellow. I decided to just go ahead and try it and it worked great. Several of us spent a better part of tonight puffing on a bit and had a great time.

It appears this stuff works fine, your mileage may vary, but don't rule it out if NaOH crystals aren't an option. Perhaps someone else can look into it further, I'm happy with what I got.

Spock's Brain
#5 Posted : 8/5/2009 7:18:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

potassium hydroxide - check an pool shop or aqaurium shoppe, sold as "ph increaser - ph buffer..." Don't use drain cleaner in general unless it's "100% lye." It'll have other chemicals mixed into it.
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."