We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Help and tips for smoking Spice Options

Divine
#1 Posted : 8/4/2009 2:33:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have posted this question in the tp where I got my trip-report but I got no awnser so I tought that its maybe more ppl then me that can have this or other problems when they are smoking Spice Smile

So here we go!

I can find it hard to smoke all the spice when I use "The Machine", its like I need 4-5 tokes to get it all.

Can it be that Im not holding the lighter rigt so that everything isnt vaporized?
or should I spin The machine and then I'll manage to get it all in three tokes?
I just waffle

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

balaganist
#2 Posted : 8/4/2009 2:43:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Divine wrote:
I have posted this question in the tp where I got my trip-report but I got no awnser so I tought that its maybe more ppl then me that can have this or other problems when they are smoking Spice Smile

So here we go!

I can find it hard to smoke all the spice when I use "The Machine", its like I need 4-5 tokes to get it all.

Can it be that Im not holding the lighter rigt so that everything isnt vaporized?
or should I spin The machine and then I'll manage to get it all in three tokes?

I dont know about the machine, but I can wholeheartedly recommend making some changa!! Ideally with Caapi leaf, but any smokeable herb will do really. Check the Changa thread http://dmt-nexus.me/foru....aspx?g=posts&t=3539 loads of tips there.
Failing that just make a herb sandwich in a bong with ur dmt in the middle. I find with a bong and some practice you can get most of it in one deep hit.
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Divine
#3 Posted : 8/4/2009 3:15:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

balaganist wrote:

I dont know about the machine, but I can wholeheartedly recommend making some changa!! Ideally with Caapi leaf, but any smokeable herb will do really. Check the Changa thread http://dmt-nexus.me/foru....aspx?g=posts&t=3539 loads of tips there.
Failing that just make a herb sandwich in a bong with ur dmt in the middle. I find with a bong and some practice you can get most of it in one deep hit.

Thank you I will read that tp Smile
I just waffle

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/4/2009 3:20:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive read some people also having trouble with The Machine, as well as with the lightbulb method.. The most commonly reported effective method for smoking is in a bong. You can do it either in some infused herb, or then just a fat layer of ashes on the bottom, then the dmt, then another fat layer of ashes on top. Or same but with sandwiched between thin layer of herbs instead. This is easy and effective way (but do check out changa thread also)

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 8/4/2009 3:21:02 PM

The Great Namah

You may have your steel/copper wool packed too tight, it might be too loose.

Your glass might be too thick, you might be using a bic lighter and not a "torch lighter" (It makes a big difference). I couldn't tell you for sure without some more info.

You may want to forgo the machine and try the leaf bed method in a pipe or bong.

One simply lays down a small amount of leaf in the bowl...anything from parsely to blue lotus to mj...just something that burns easy. 30-50mgs of spice is layed neatly on top of the leaf... Then another layer of leaf is laid on top of the DMT. You basically have a sandwich of spice and leaf. All you have to do then is light the top layer of leaf and take 3-4 hits, clearning the bowl completely. 100% full breakthrough every time (with enough spice of course). In a bong I've had complete non-smokers take 60mgs without any issues.

Making changa will also work well, but it's a process to make, not hard, but time consuming.

Best of luck!
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Divine
#6 Posted : 8/4/2009 4:05:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok thank you very much!

I'm gonna go buy a "torch lighter" and try with that and if it wont work by then im gonna have to try with the bong Smile

And im very sorry for the lame info Razz

Again, thank you!
I just waffle

idtravlr
#7 Posted : 8/4/2009 6:07:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Divine - Let me just offer one other method here that works very, very well. The sandwich methods and changa work very well, but they can be tricky because if you heat the spice too slowly it will melt down through your layer(s) of herb, and down into the bong where it's basically useless. The density of ash helps to prevent this a lot, but you still risk liquid spice running through it. If you heat it too fast then you end up burning it and getting a very harsh hit that's only partially effective. So you see, it's a delicate balance, and if you screw it up, either way the spice is lost and gone for good.

Here is an ALMOST fool proof method if you don't have a proper vaporizer or freebase style pipe: Get yourself just a standard issue, CLEAR, blown glass style herb pipe. You know, the kind with an inverted cone for a bowl, a bubble chamber, and a large carb hole on the side. Here is a link to an image of exactly what I'm talking about, EXCEPT you want it to be clear, or very light colored, see through glass:
http://www.water-bongs-g...and-blown-glass-pipe.jpg

Now, instead of loading your spice in the bowl, use a small screwdriver, or tiny spoon, or something else that will fit through the carb hole, and load the spice into the INSIDE of the bowl chamber. At this point you can use a basic bic style lighter and gently warm the underneath of the pipe until your spice melts. These pipes typically are made very thick glass, so burning the spice is tough to do (compared to a freebase style pipe).

Once the spice heats to a point where you see vapor appearing in the chamber, you can begin a gentle inhale through the mouth piece. You'll want to keep the carb closed and regulate it just as you would if you were smoking through the actual bowl, so you'll need to find a position for the lighter and your fingers so as not to burn the finger that's controlling the carb. Anyway, I think you'll find this method quite easy, despite my long description here.

The real beauty of this method is that you can practice w/o losing spice. If you don't nail it the first few times, the liquid spice is still right there, in the chamber, awaiting your next attempt. If you DO happen to overheat and burn the spice, you'll only lose the burned portion. The remaining oil can still be vaporized quite nicely, even though it may look dark brown and burnt.

Give it a shot if you'd like, and feel free to ping me back if you have additional questions as to this technique. It really is much simpler than I have put into words here! Smile

Peace and best of luck!
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:38:24 PM

The Great Namah

^ while that does sound like a fool proof method, there is another issue that arises with vaporization: overheating the spice. I've burned enough spice to know that it takes some practice to vaporize correctly. Buring spice can a) really tear up your throat and lungs b) cause a subbreakthrough experience no matter how much spice is in your pipe/vaporizer. If it turns brown, gets really harsh, and tastes really, really bad, you're burning your spice. Another issue is impurities. With the leaf bed method impurities are not an issue, but when you are vaporizing the yellow oils can burn quick and leave a perma-residue that is pretty hard to get off and kinda taints your future explorations.

Also, I've never had any issues with losing spice down the bong tube. Just make sure your bottom layer is packed hard and the top layer is packed loose. Every person that's tried it (at least in front of me) has never had a problem with the leaf bed method (even non-smokers, first time holding a bong in thier life!). I do understand the concern, and maybe it's happened to you, but if you are having that type of issue, double screen it, and pack that bottom layer kinda hard. NEVER use a pull through type bong for the leaf bed method, you WILL lose a lot of spice this way.

There are a host of different ways to smoke spice. Each person will find the way that works best for them. It's trial and error at first, but you'll get it.
The Spice extends life
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

idtravlr
#9 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:48:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon - I'm totally with you on all of this. The nice thing about those little pipes however (as opposed to the very thin type that SWIY and SWIM use) is that the glass is at least 4x thicker, so burning is much easier to avoid, although one CAN still burn it if they're not careful.

Mainly, I'm just trying to offer one additional method that worked well for SWIM when he was learning the ropes. Pleased

Peace
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

Spock's Brain
#10 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:55:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The issue I've seen with myself and esp. when trying to smoke out others, is getting the heavy white smoke going before you hit it. For example with a lightbulb style pipe. You heat it slowly, but you have to wait 'till the white appears and is rolling before you hit it. otherwise your just wasting part of your breath on a thinner less concentrated wisp of chemical and not getting the full effect of it. practice.
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

eloheim
#11 Posted : 8/5/2009 11:44:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
You may have your steel/copper wool packed too tight, it might be too loose.

Your glass might be too thick, you might be using a bic lighter and not a "torch lighter" (It makes a big difference). I couldn't tell you for sure without some more info.

You may want to forgo the machine and try the leaf bed method in a pipe or bong.

One simply lays down a small amount of leaf in the bowl...anything from parsely to blue lotus to mj...just something that burns easy. 30-50mgs of spice is layed neatly on top of the leaf... Then another layer of leaf is laid on top of the DMT. You basically have a sandwich of spice and leaf. All you have to do then is light the top layer of leaf and take 3-4 hits, clearning the bowl completely. 100% full breakthrough every time (with enough spice of course). In a bong I've had complete non-smokers take 60mgs without any issues.

Making changa will also work well, but it's a process to make, not hard, but time consuming.

Best of luck!

Hey I've read the changa thread and looked through the 'Administration Methods' forum, but was hoping for some clarification on the above. When you say "leaf," you mean ground up plant material right, not like an actual stack of leaves? Laughing And do you have any (more) personal recommendations for an easy and pleasant to smoke herb for this that could be found in your grocery store? There's always MJ of course, but I'd rather not go that route because (for years now) anything more than a tiny hit has the possibility of creating unpleasant anxiety for me.

Thanks for your time if you see this

balaganist
#12 Posted : 8/5/2009 11:49:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have read of people using parsley, peppermint or garden sage. The idea with that one is to have something burning around the spice to vapourize it, but not burn the spice itself.
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

acolon_5
#13 Posted : 8/6/2009 4:28:47 PM

The Great Namah

I've used

Damania - a bit harsh
Parsely - ok, tastes a bit funny
MJ - ok, but makes it harder to hold in
Passion Flower - Tastes HORRIBLE, don't smoke passionflower
Wild Lettus - strong smell, taints experience IMO, very sedating
Blue lotus - nice, one of my favorites burns just right for spice
White lotus - smoke is like air...non smokers esp. enjoy this leaf

There are pleanty more, any herb you can smoke you can use with the leaf bed method.

And yes, we are talking about crushed up dried herbs here, no like a leaf from a maple tree.
The Spice extends life

eloheim
#14 Posted : 8/7/2009 3:14:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys. I'm planning a little voyage this weekend so I'll give some of these suggestions a trial go beforehand and hopefully report back with good news. I'm crossing my fingers for my first break through. Cool

Viciousend
#15 Posted : 8/7/2009 7:38:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good luck, look forward to hearing the results.

idtravlr
#16 Posted : 8/7/2009 8:14:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm with acolon on this. Blue Lotus is my favorite for non-somokers as I am. It's smooth, slow burning, and just all around wonderful as a changa.

Peace
-idt

-Terence McKenna

۩
#17 Posted : 8/7/2009 8:35:01 AM

I am the raver of Mullein. It burns perfect for the spice in the leaf bed method. You usually only need to light the bowl once. There's something wonderfully synergistic about this herb that seems to allow the spice to be absorbed more by the body. Which makes sense considering people work with this herb for lung healing.
It's also great in changuar due to it's fluffy absorbtion qualities. You'll know what I mean when you burn this lovely medicine.
P.s. There's nothing time consuming about it, really. Just cut up some herbs in a shot glass or something, add solvent (strong liquor like everclear, acetone, etc) add spice, evaporate, Fly.

eloheim
#18 Posted : 8/7/2009 1:12:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Once again thanks for the responses. There was one thing I forgot to ask in my first post though. Are any of the mentioned herbs known to be MAOIs? ("Parsley, peppermint, garden sage, Damania, Passion Flower, Wild Lettuce, Blue lotus, White lotus, Mullein." ) As always with these things, I'll do my own investigating and wouldn't proceed until I'm satisfied with my knowledge about it, but if anyone knows that any of the above are (MAOIs) I'd appreciate hearing it. I'd rather not go into details but suffice it to say such herbs might produce serotonin syndrome-inducing drug interactions in my case.

Also, I forgot to mention it explicitly but my original post was supposed to be in reference to NON-psychoactive plants. I mean that isn't to say I wouldn't be at all open to such herbs, but at the time I was looking for a mere 'carrier' for the spice. Do any of the above produce significant psychoactivity through smoking?

KyKy of Karnak
#19 Posted : 8/9/2009 7:46:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mullein is a purrrfect carrier . lots of great binding surface area for the spice to hold onto. A VERY simple infusion is all it takes. This material/leaf is very "fluffy" and pillow like , to roll you away sweetly. Yeah man , grain alcohol will work fantastically(so will acetone) to dissolve spice in a shot glass then add dried mullein leaf. A great ratio that works for my friends is 3 parts leaf : 2 parts spice(ie. 300 mg mullein to 200 mg spice). fluff it up a little bit as it dries in the shotglass. EASY as pie. cleaning shwag is harder

Anyway , good luck and have a great day.
sweet dreams,
KyKy

universecannon
#20 Posted : 8/9/2009 9:40:54 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

acolon_5 wrote:
^ while that does sound like a fool proof method, there is another issue that arises with vaporization: overheating the spice. I've burned enough spice to know that it takes some practice to vaporize correctly. Buring spice can a) really tear up your throat and lungs b) cause a subbreakthrough experience no matter how much spice is in your pipe/vaporizer. If it turns brown, gets really harsh, and tastes really, really bad, you're burning your spice. Another issue is impurities. With the leaf bed method impurities are not an issue, but when you are vaporizing the yellow oils can burn quick and leave a perma-residue that is pretty hard to get off and kinda taints your future explorations.

Also, I've never had any issues with losing spice down the bong tube. Just make sure your bottom layer is packed hard and the top layer is packed loose. Every person that's tried it (at least in front of me) has never had a problem with the leaf bed method (even non-smokers, first time holding a bong in thier life!). I do understand the concern, and maybe it's happened to you, but if you are having that type of issue, double screen it, and pack that bottom layer kinda hard. NEVER use a pull through type bong for the leaf bed method, you WILL lose a lot of spice this way.

There are a host of different ways to smoke spice. Each person will find the way that works best for them. It's trial and error at first, but you'll get it.

I wasnt aware that burning the spice can cause a sub-breakthrough experience, do you know why this is exactly? I ask cuz this may have happened to swim a few times. Using a small bong with 2 screens and some mj on top (which makes it more intense for swim but occasionally more confusing) swim used to just hit it, and get very good hits but it was difficult to breakthrough for some reason.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

12NEXT