We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
re-crystallization - need heptane? Options

balaganist
#1 Posted : 8/3/2009 4:08:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just a quick question - I have some naptha in the freezer, loaded with spice extracted from Jorkest's tek, and I will prob do a re-crystalization... my question is, will Naphtha be ok to use or should I get some Heptane for this??

Thx ppl.
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 8/3/2009 5:33:08 PM

The Great Namah

Heptane is a bit more selective, meaning that a lot of impurities that naphtha would dissolve get left behind....

However, i have had great success just using naphtha...so no, you don't have to use heptane.

I do suggest doing a room temp recrystalization with naphtha. Because it takes longer to evap than bestine, you can grow even larger xtals with it. Just put a lid covering most of the jar (leave some space though!) and leave it in a non dusty, vibration free area and wait 2-3 days tops. You'll have massive clusters of xtals growing!

The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

balaganist
#3 Posted : 8/3/2009 5:37:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cheers acalon I will continue with what I have... looking fwd to seeing those xtals Smile
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

lonewolf123
#4 Posted : 8/3/2009 6:04:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
Heptane is a bit more selective, meaning that a lot of impurities that naphtha would dissolve get left behind....

However, i have had great success just using naphtha...so no, you don't have to use heptane.

I do suggest doing a room temp recrystalization with naphtha. Because it takes longer to evap than bestine, you can grow even larger xtals with it. Just put a lid covering most of the jar (leave some space though!) and leave it in a non dusty, vibration free area and wait 2-3 days tops. You'll have massive clusters of xtals growing!

If you were to do Room temp recrystalization with heptane, would you not fully put the lid on? Or is that a naptha only thing?

eloheim
#5 Posted : 8/4/2009 3:47:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lonewolf123 wrote:
If you were to do Room temp recrystalization with heptane, would you not fully put the lid on? Or is that a naptha only thing?

It would be the same either way. The two are very similar.

acolon_5 wrote:

Hey its obvious you know what you're talking about so I had a few questions about this. So are you suggesting no freezing whatsoever? SWIM has pulled with hexane and simply evaporated at room tempeature in a baking dish. Right now SWIM has hexane and heptane (pure) on hand. Any suggestions/clarifications (for next time)? SWIM isn't crazy about getting something pretty, so unless it really effects the ability to blast off with, it shouldn't matter much. SWIM could probably gain access to an appropriate freezer but it'd be a hell of a lot easier not to have to. Smile