We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
[PDF/Video] After the Drug Wars/Ending the Drug Wars Options

d*l*b
#1 Posted : 2/17/2016 6:21:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After the Drug Wars
Report of the LSE Expert Group on the Economics of Drug Policy, February 2016

(PDF, 140 pages)

Quote:
The post-‘war on drugs’ era has begun. prohibitionist policies must now take a back seat to the new, comprehensive, people-centred set of universal goals and targets that we know as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Nation states and the global drug regulatory system must shift to principles of sustainable development that include: public health, harm reduction of consumption and supply, access to essential medicines, and scienti c experimentation with strict legal regulation.

To enable this transformation, nation states should drastically deprioritise the prohibitionist goals of the past. They must implement new comprehensive development policies dealing with the root causes of problems associated with illicit drugs.

The ‘war on drugs’ caused the international community to prioritise prohibitionist policies over sustainable development at a terrible socioeconomic cost. As the United Nations Development Programme highlights in the discussion paper excerpted in this report, ‘evidence indicates that drug control policies often leave an indelible footprint on sustainable human development processes and outcomes... [and] have fuelled the marginalisation of people linked with illicit drug use or markets.’

This report recognises that key reforms within the global regulatory system will come from changes at the national and local levels. It highlights that the UN drug control treaties recommend an approach grounded in the ‘health and welfare’ of mankind. Further, it emphasises that human rights obligations have absolute supremacy over drug control goals and as such there is suf cient interpretive scope within the treaties to experiment with social scienti c policies that can further global health and welfare.

The world can shift away from counterproductive and ineffective drug policies. The UN General Assembly Special Session in 2016 is a key platform for driving debate. However, the ultimate impetus lies with countries to reform their policies based on evidence and local realities. This report provides a framework for achieving this shift.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/IDEAS/publications/reports/pdf/LSE-IDEAS-After-the-Drug-Wars.pdf

Ending the Drug Wars
Report of the LSE Expert Group on the Economics of Drug Policy, May 2014

(84 pages, PDF)

Quote:
It is time to end the ‘war on drugs’ and massively redirect resources towards effective evidence-based policies underpinned by rigorous economic analysis.

The pursuit of a militarised and enforcement-led global ‘war on drugs’ strategy has produced enormous negative outcomes and collateral damage. These include mass incarceration in the US, highly repressive policies in Asia, vast corruption and political destabilisation in Afghanistan and West Africa, immense violence in Latin America, an HIV epidemic in Russia, an acute global shortage of pain medication and the propagation of systematic human rights abuses around the world.

The strategy has failed based on its own terms. Evidence shows that drug prices have been declining while purity has been increasing. This has been despite drastic increases in global enforcement spending. Continuing to spend vast resources on punitive enforcement-led policies, generally at the expense of proven public health policies, can no longer be justi ed.

The United Nations has for too long tried to enforce a repressive, ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach. It must now take the lead in advocating a new cooperative international framework based on the fundamental acceptance that different policies will work for different countries and regions.

This new global drug strategy should be based on principles of public health, harm reduction, illicit market impact reduction, expanded access to essential medicines, minimisation of problematic consumption, rigorously monitored regulatory experimentation and an unwavering commitment to principles of human rights.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/IDEAS/publications/reports/pdf/LSE-IDEAS-DRUGS-REPORT-FINAL-WEB.pdf
D × V × F > R

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

NotTwo
#2 Posted : 2/17/2016 7:03:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It would be truly amazing if intelligent people doing well researched analysis of the current abolitionist policies were listened to but it seems that narrow minded, prejudiced viewpoints always win out. It makes me depressed to think about it Sad

Things do change - for the better or for the worse - but they don't seem to have much to do with logic. The entheogenic revolution is a real possibility for civilization as it now stands but it's largely blocked by blockheads. I feel a rant coming on about the mindlessness of mass media, the stupidity of the political classes and the true horrors of the drug pushing pharmaceutical companies. Crying or very sad

In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

anne halonium
#3 Posted : 2/17/2016 8:15:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i demand drug war crime tribunals at the hague.
if they exceed the nuremburg trials, ill be pleased.

then we hunt down every last perp, dog and helicopter, globally.

dont close guantanimo .........
expand it into high rise prisons like the NYC skyline!
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

d*l*b
#4 Posted : 2/17/2016 9:56:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

NotTwo wrote:
The entheogenic revolution is a real possibility for civilization as it now stands but it's largely blocked by blockheads.

To be honest, I don’t care for any entheogenic revolution. I have been working with psychedelics (I don’t believe in the term entheogen, I am not a spiritual person) for nearly 25 years. The law has never stopped me doing anything.

The serious issue is the amount of damage done to mankind as a whole by prohibition and a lack of recognition of the root causes of drug problems in those that suffer them. Thousands of people are not being slaughtered yearly in Mexico because of psychedelics. Of the hundreds of thousands of people locked up worldwide for production, sale, possession and consumption of drugs, very few are there for psychedelics. We have very much larger issues to deal with than our tiny minority who wish to make changes to our cognition and view of reality.

I do not subscribe to the utopian view that psychedelics will change the world for the better. I have known hundreds of people who have delved and got very little. To most they are just another substance to play with, they will go merrily on their way to being regular members of society, holding down jobs in factories, offices and on the land. Not questioning much. Watching TV and going down the pub at the weekends. There is nothing wrong with that.

As I said, our issues lie more with other drugs. We need to get a hold of our many issues with drugs such as heroin, cocaine, cannabis, etc, etc. What I believe is needed is a pragmatic approach that accepts that some people will take any of the vast array of psychoactive substances. Most drug use is not problematic, or only problematic in the short term. Some will have major issues, some will be be left with not much of a life as a result, some will die.

What are the root causes of problematic drug use? How can we ease the suffering? How can we remove control of supply from criminals who do not care for users of their products, or the world they live in? Why is life so bad for many that many feel they need a cocoon to hide from reality in? Why is life so bad that a large percentage of our population suffer from mental health issues that make day-to-day life difficult, or even impossible?

As far as I can see the root causes are unlikely to be dealt with in our lifetimes, or at all. Humans just aren’t that nice that they care about anyone. We are inherently selfish, we can at the very least take a pragmatic view of substance use and accept what is plainly obvious. People take drugs. They can be controlled and the world’s population can be safer if we move away from the current free-for-all and non-regulation we have at the moment.

We are seeing change currently. I don’t see much movement soon, but we are edging toward it with wider acceptance of cannabis.
D × V × F > R

anne halonium
#5 Posted : 2/17/2016 10:37:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^ and that also

well said d*l*b...........
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

null24
#6 Posted : 2/18/2016 3:38:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Excellent post, d*l*b*.

We ARE chugging along forward. When I was a young pup, smoking the weeds, we'd pontificate and ruminate in the possible future in which my pals and I might live. To be honest, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would one day be able to purchase pot above counter in a store. Now I can.

I'm having coffee this morning at my n'hood hippy cafe, and looking out the window I see two "green cross" establishments. One where you pay a small cover over to share and partake of marijuana products-a cannabis "cafe". The other is a recreational dispensary.

This time last year, we had no idea how this would play out, now, my state is loading up with new taxable revenue, there's an entire new industry growing from the ground up- farm to shelf, that's a lot of different job producing entities being involved. But they write a really good measure here in Oregon that ensured those of us who carried and waved that flag for SOOOO many years are able to reap the profits for the industry they built.

As said above it's not psychedelics causing this:
Quote:
The pursuit of a militarised and enforcement-led global ‘war on drugs’ strategy has produced enormous negative outcomes and collateral damage. These include mass incarceration in the US, highly repressive policies in Asia, vast corruption and political destabilisation in Afghanistan and West Africa, immense violence in Latin America, an HIV epidemic in Russia, an acute global shortage of pain medication and the propagation of systematic human rights abuses around the world.

I know many of you don't live in such a wonderful home state like my beautiful beloved soggy ass Oregon (there's a reason we love our beer, weed and women here) but if we can do it here, y'all can do it down south too.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*