We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Any salvia growers in the USA? Options

Al-Wasi
#1 Posted : 9/8/2015 1:55:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I live in the northern USA and was thinking of growing a salvia to add to my collection . Was hoping to hear from anyone else in my area and there experience and pics of your current lady
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Spaced Out 2
#2 Posted : 9/8/2015 4:50:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry, I'm central area and if I could get a hold of any I would most certainly grow them. Would love to experience Salvia and all it has to offer.
Good luck on your garden Thumbs up

OrionFyre
#3 Posted : 9/8/2015 10:23:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Al-Wasi wrote:
I live in the northern USA and was thinking of growing a salvia to add to my collection . Was hoping to hear from anyone else in my area and there experience and pics of your current lady

I grew it at my last place for a couple years. I had to get rid of it though. One of the neighbor kids apparently got wise to it because they started lobbing off branches and even started venturing over the fence into the back yard.

Easy enough to grow shade loving plant that loves to stretch it's legs like all salvias. Grows quickly. And it's incredibly easy to propagate in situ by gently coaxing a lower stem down towards the ground as it grows, once in contact with the soil stake it down with crossed stakes and loosely cover in rich soil. It will readily root.

You can also propagate by clippings in plain water if your plants will die in winter.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Take the third hit
Then youuu....

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 9/8/2015 12:47:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've got three plants growing currently. They're a bit finicky if you're outside their natural rage, but very rewarding to grow. Thumbs up

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

slewb
#5 Posted : 9/8/2015 8:00:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm in eastern US. I received a plant (well 2, but one was pretty much DOA) last winter and it's now turned into six plants Smile. It's pretty resilient and is easy to care for once it got used to its conditions. Only thing it needs that I can't offer is more light, so the leaves get a bit funky shaped. Also I just figured out that I wasn't watering my plants nearly often enough due to fear of overwatering.

Pics of ma and her babies, who have been sitting patiently in tiny pots for way too long until I can make more room. I just transferred 2 of them yesterday.
slewb attached the following image(s):
DSCN0253.JPG (3,335kb) downloaded 156 time(s).
DSCN0254.JPG (3,391kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
DSCN0255.JPG (3,474kb) downloaded 156 time(s).

T.Harper
#6 Posted : 9/9/2015 4:41:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

partialy shaded outdoors with a cool morning dew and they adapt just fine to Midatlantic in spring/summer/fall. Once established can tolerate pretty low temps as long as roots dont freeze, cut away to root new ones or bring em all indoors.

Indoors can be a pain, especially if you get whiteflies/aphids and dont have wasps or other critters to control them. But if you got em in a pot bring em indoors during the winter in a cool part of the building with some sun, those bugs will die off & fixes that problem.

----------------> ------------------> O <--------------- <-----------------------

BringsUsTogether
#7 Posted : 2/12/2016 11:14:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm considering growing salvia. What are your opinions on doing it in the basement? Usually it's nice and cool down there, humid too.