We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Melatonin powder preparations Options

doodlekid
#1 Posted : 12/31/2015 2:55:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Recently obtained some pure melatonin powder. I'm curious which ways of making a preparation are possible.

Thusfar I've read people using alcohol as solvent and using it as it were a tincture. Now I'm curious as to it's possible to dissolve it in lemon juice, it's said melatonin won't dissolve in water at all...

I've tried it a few times now and it seems to works. I weigh like 20 mg and put it in a funnel over a bottle (200 ml). Then carefully & slowly pour lemon juice into the funnel and make sure all is washed inside the bottle. When all is poured I can't see any residu on the bottom after a while. So it appears to have dissolved. I shake it before use and dose like 20 ml, I get something that resembles the dose of a 2 mg pill.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

universecannon
#2 Posted : 12/31/2015 4:20:08 PM

β˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

But why not just take it sublingually and avoid the hassle altogether? A lot more gets absorbed that way compared to dosing it orally. Just put a tiny bit under your tongue once you get a feel for how many mg of powder it takes to fill up whatever you use to scoop it with, and hold it there until it dissolves (or drink some water to get the remaining amount down).

You can take massive doses of melatonin without any potential health risks so you don't have to worry about being too precise in amounts, though higher amounts take more getting used to.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

doodlekid
#3 Posted : 1/2/2016 7:38:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I am gonna try that. The thing is that it's too easy to overdose. The powder is pure melatonin. So instead I would like to make a solution (also for sublingual use yes).

How much do you dose sublingually btw? I tried 5 mg once (from a crushed pill) but had no response. When taken orally 5 mg hits me like a freight train.

universecannon
#4 Posted : 1/2/2016 8:44:08 PM

β˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

I take roughly anywhere from 20mg to 80mg when I take it but i eyeball it now.

People who are taking it just to help get to sleep though might want to take less since those doses are generally more sedating.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

doodlekid
#5 Posted : 1/2/2016 9:01:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay Wink gonna try that too.

How does the effect vary depending on the method? If you eyeball 20 mg, does that dose have the same strength orally?

Still the weighing in those amounts is difficult due to the inherent fault in my scale at such low weights. Making a solution offers the option of dosing with precision even in the lower ranges (like .1 to 1 mg).

arcologist
#6 Posted : 1/2/2016 10:26:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's easiest to just vaporize a few mg, the effects start immediately and you can better titrate the dose. I have used an Arizer Extreme Q at 200C with good success, doses up to 10mg. The flavor is pleasant with notes of new plastic.

dreamer042
#7 Posted : 1/2/2016 10:34:02 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I also just dose the pure powder sublingually by letting it dissolve in my mouth. I wash it down with a bit of water. 10-20 mg is my standard dose but sometimes I do larger ones. I find doses under 10mg have a strange effect that I don't particularly enjoy.

I wasn't sooper impressed with vaping it. Too short lasting and not exceptionally potent of an effect, I'd rather eat/subling it. It's an interesting experiment worth trying though.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

doodlekid
#8 Posted : 1/5/2016 4:31:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read the vaping thread. Do you need to freebase the stuff before vaporizing it? Seems logical but I didn't read any mention of it...

Last few days slept very well and had no need for melatonin. Usually just 2-3 mg suffice for good sleep.

I often notice the moment it kicks in. Some faint visuals and if there's still light in the room a slightly colored halo can appear around objects. Thoughts become very pleasant and sometimes give the sensation of being particularly deep revelations, though if I actually want to recollect it slips between awareness. Once I managed to recollect and it was some kind of frog in the box, like gibberish thoughts. Melatonin is a bit strange, but once I get to dream on the stuff it's pretty cool.

dreamer042
#9 Posted : 1/5/2016 5:05:17 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

doodlekid wrote:
I read the vaping thread. Do you need to freebase the stuff before vaporizing it? Seems logical but I didn't read any mention of it...

Theoretically a freebase would vape most effectively, but the unconverted plain powder vaped fine for me. I'm not sure what form the bulk powder comes in, hcl maybe? In any case it vaped just fine at reasonable temperatures and the vapor was pretty smooth on the respiratory.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Strigiform
#10 Posted : 1/11/2016 12:06:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What are the effects like when vaporizing melatonin? I take 3-6mg melatonin sometimes before bed, but it's mostly been used as a way to deal with insomnia. It never occured to me to do anything else with it before!

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 1/11/2016 1:39:58 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

dreamer042 wrote:
doodlekid wrote:

Theoretically a freebase would vape most effectively, but the unconverted plain powder vaped fine for me. I'm not sure what form the bulk powder comes in, hcl maybe? In any case it vaped just fine at reasonable temperatures and the vapor was pretty smooth on the respiratory.

Melatonin is an amide, I'm guessing it's not made into a salt form for that reason. Therefore it won't require freebasing.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

doodlekid
#12 Posted : 1/12/2016 8:05:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It seems that only small amounts are soluble in water. I have made this lemon juice solution of approx 20 mg melatonin on 200 ml fluid... when I tried 200 mg on the same amount of fluid the greater amount of it kept floating on top. Now I suspect that at least a part dissolved but no more than that. I found that the 20 mg bottle proved to be reliable, that each dose of same quantity had the same effect.

Also I didn't understand something. That if you increase the dose some different effects can occur. That there is no straight line between dose and effects, it's more like a landscape that changes along the road. It does takes out the effectiveness, so instead of falling asleep I keep comfortably in a sort of zone between sleeping and waking going through all sorts of interesting stuff (with 10 to 20 mg).

Strigiform
#13 Posted : 1/12/2016 9:58:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

doodlekid: How long are your breaks between doses? Are you finding any particular effect on your sleep and wakefulnes in the time after dosing?

How would you describe the various dose effects? For example, how does a dose <10mg compare to one in the 10-20mg range or to >20mg doses?

doodlekid
#14 Posted : 1/20/2016 3:33:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My breaks are determined by how well I notice able to sleep. So with lot's of cannabis, no melatonin but most I try to limit the amount of smoking so use melatonin. It's on and off. My sleep just breaks up earlier in the morning on melatonin. Without I have less trouble getting back to sleep if it's too early.

<10 mg is just drowsiness and sleepiness. In 10-20 it's becoming also a bit of a mindlube as someone described somewhere. It's that I don't easily fall asleep on higher dose and more am getting a cozy mindspace that goes on and on. 20+ I still have to explore.