We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvia and Depersonalization - a cause AND a cure Options

RhythmSpring
#1 Posted : 1/10/2016 2:38:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From a conversation I am having with someone on reddit:

~~~

I would like to add (or perhaps reiterate) that I believe Salvia is a double-edged sword. It touches our core perception; it touches the place that gets harmed when we experience depersonalization. That means that it can heal it, but also cause it--depends on how it is used. Intentions are extremely important. If we use Salvia to escape, then escape we shall. If we use it to become more present, then we shall become more present. One must check themselves before they use it: "Why am I really using this? What do I want from it?"

I think Salvia is one thing that challenges the Western medical paradigm that substances are cures. You can't just give someone Salvia and expect them to be cured of DP, in the same way that you can't just throw someone MDMA and expect them to be healed of PTSD, or Ayahuasca and depression. Set and setting matter, a LOT. If you'll notice in my story, the Salvia trip that induced my DP featured quite negative personal interactions.

Conversely, the Salvia trip that brought much joy and grounding to my life was from a cup that I had a good friend "bless." It's not to say that the "blessing" itself necessarily causes the healing; rather, it is to say that whatever intention fueled the blessing, affected the trip as well.

~~~

A bit out of context, but you get the ideas. Thoughts?
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

pitubo
#2 Posted : 1/10/2016 3:47:30 AM

dysfunctional word machine

No personal experience with salvia yet, but information on this forum has made me curious.

With regard to intent, the traditional meme is "set and setting". I would call it "safe space". I have positive experiences with substances used for the purpose of healing, but I use them only upon a foundation of thoroughly rational and critical investigation of any issues at hand. Part of the rational experience is to not go overboard all at once, but to build it up gradually.

More importantly, I try to prepare for the unexpected, as that is where I see the quintessence of psychedelics. It takes effort to break out of the conventional mind loop. This is where these substances shine: they break us out of our personal consensus. As much as there may be to gain, there is also danger involved. Both have to be taken into consideration for an optimal result.

I have tried to "spread" the goodness of these experiences as I have had the grace to be given them, but I found that it is not a trivial procedure. I pride myself in the fact that none of the fellows who traveled with me went "bad". Still, it seems that those who benefited the most were those who sought it the most. My part was mostly to help them evade the pitfalls unknown to their naivete. Something they could only appreciate after having been through several experiences.

Regarding your comment about "negative personal interactions", I find that it is paramount to assure an environment of sympathy. This is not a common token in contemporary society, to the contrary I would say. An acute awareness of the reality and extent of the "emotional plague" is a great aid in prevention of mishaps.

gibran2
#3 Posted : 1/10/2016 6:22:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

RhythmSpring wrote:

A bit out of context, but you get the ideas. Thoughts?

Here's a minor change to your quote:

I would like to add (or perhaps reiterate) that I believe {insert entheogen of choice here} is a double-edged sword. It touches our core perception; it touches the place that gets harmed when we experience depersonalization. That means that it can heal it, but also cause it--depends on how it is used. Intentions are extremely important. If we use {insert entheogen of choice here} to escape, then escape we shall. If we use it to become more present, then we shall become more present. One must check themselves before they use it: "Why am I really using this? What do I want from it?"

I think {insert entheogen of choice here} is one thing that challenges the Western medical paradigm that substances are cures. You can't just give someone {insert entheogen of choice here} and expect them to be cured of DP, in the same way that you can't just throw someone MDMA and expect them to be healed of PTSD, or Ayahuasca and depression. Set and setting matter, a LOT. If you'll notice in my story, the {insert entheogen of choice here} trip that induced my DP featured quite negative personal interactions.

Conversely, the {insert entheogen of choice here} trip that brought much joy and grounding to my life was from a cup that I had a good friend "bless." It's not to say that the "blessing" itself necessarily causes the healing; rather, it is to say that whatever intention fueled the blessing, affected the trip as well.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.