We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Liquid lye? Options

Corado
#1 Posted : 6/29/2009 2:12:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello friends, simple question, would liquid lye be good for extraction ( STB ), or should I wait for tommorow and buy the granulated one?

Thank you.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Baffald
#2 Posted : 6/29/2009 4:45:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

what is the PH of the liquid lye. Is it just granular dissolved in water? If, then I would see no problem with it as that is essentially what you are making when you dissolve the granular into water.

Xstacy
#3 Posted : 6/30/2009 7:28:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

You do not know what is in the liquid lye so if you have pure white crystals, go for it.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

Corado
#4 Posted : 7/22/2009 12:00:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello again, travelers. I didn't want to make a new topic for a few rather simple questions, so I'll just use this one. Would this work as a solvent:

? And this as my NaOH: http://global.ebay.com/S...DIESEL/300330754303/item ?

Just wanted to make sure, because my first extraction was a huge effin failure due to my naivness. Thinking that some stuff from my local shop would do the job I lost 50g's of my precious MHRB! Will not happen again.

noothgrush
#5 Posted : 7/22/2009 12:37:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I looked up the datasheet for that paint stripper, and it contains Dichloromethane (50-100%) and Methanol (5-10%). Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to say if it's usable or not.

Do they have regular white spirit or something similar where you live? I believe that's your safest/easiest bet. Just make sure you check the ingredients first, and check back here when in doubt. SWIM's been using Heptane, which is available over the counter at pharmacies where SWIM lives.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 7/22/2009 12:40:54 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

This Manger's Paint and Varnish Stripper won't do for an STB extraction. It is not naphtha. This particular one contains dichloromethane and methanol and can be used for an A/B if the methanol is removed. But it is close to useless for an STB.

Try finding "White Spirit" if no "Naphtha" brand is available.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Corado
#7 Posted : 7/22/2009 1:19:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey, thanks for such fast replys. I've found a store near me which sells white spirit, however I could not find the list of ingredients it contains. Anyway, this is how it looks:

There's more white spirit brands in that store, maybe you'd recomend something else. You can find them here

Also, have any of you guys checked the NaOH that I was thinking of? The NaOH part is what scares me the most as I'll have to get it from another country. I want to be totally sure that it'll work. Thanks again!

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 7/22/2009 3:55:05 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

OK, SWIM' friend says these:

"Re to the the naphthas in the page you showed, it is better to check their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) and copy their information here. What you are looking for is the "UN" number, e.g. UN1268 as well as the C.A.S number, e.g. CAS 8002-05-9, or CAS 8030-31-7 etc.

One can use this information to find which is the best suited naphtha. Ideally the best naphtha is the one that contains:

1) aliphatic hydrocarbons (e.g. pentane, hexane, heptane, octane nonane, decane) and as little as possible of aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g. benzene, toluene, xylene). This makes the naphtha good for freeze-precipitation and more selective for dmt.

2) primarily light aliphatic hydrocarbons, like pentane, hexane, heptane, octane and less or none of heavier aliphatic hydrocarbons (like decane, entecane, dodecane, decatriane) etc. Light hydrocarbons evaporate faster, heavier hydrocarbons may take ages (literally) to evaporate.

As far as the NaOH is concerned, SWIM cannot believe that you cannot find it in lithuanian shops. Ask at some hardware stores; Plumbers use it for some hardcore pipe unclogging. Ordering from the internet (esp. from another country) does have some risks. If you do so, get them to post it at a friend's address"

This is what SWIM's friend said once.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Corado
#9 Posted : 7/22/2009 9:47:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you my friend! I will try to look in to the naphtha once more. As for the NaOH... I used some plumbers thing, which had SOME NaOH in it, but i guess it's far too less for the right reaction, the water barely heated up. In the mean time I'll try to find something more hardcore. If not... I see no other option - I'll have to get it from over seas.

۩
#10 Posted : 7/22/2009 9:50:00 PM

Corado wrote:
Thank you my friend! I will try to look in to the naphtha once more. As for the NaOH... I used some plumbers thing, which had SOME NaOH in it, but i guess it's far too less for the right reaction, the water barely heated up. In the mean time I'll try to find something more hardcore. If not... I see no other option - I'll have to get it from over seas.

This is very bad. You just seriously contaminated your solution.

noothgrush
#11 Posted : 7/22/2009 11:59:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's not contaminated if he didn't put the MHRB in it.
It's weird about the NaOH, SWIM's cousin can buy it in any grocery store in Norway. If you search for caustic soda on wikipedia and go to the Lithuanian language page you might get some ideas?

fourthripley
#12 Posted : 7/23/2009 12:06:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Natrium might be a word to search.
mistakes were made