We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Failed extractions Options

Acu
#1 Posted : 11/28/2015 9:48:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi all, so basically I've only had one successful extraction which was my first some years back, it was a layman tek and the final step was evaporation.

Since then I've tried a couple times using the dmt handbook but to no avail. Embarrased So before I jump back into trying another extraction I'm hoping to work out what I've done wrong.

I'll just talk about the last failure as that was using acuminata, the seeds of which were from reliable source.

So for starters I used whole phyllodes and twigs that were cut up pretty small. Could it be a problem that I used phollodes because of the plant oils? I thought it would be ok since it's an a/b.

I used bunnings shellite, naOH from soap store, and proper hcl.

I'd also waited for a dry spell without frosts before getting the leaves and twigs.

Not sure where else I could have gone wrong but maybe i'm missing something simple.

After the extraction when the shellite cooled it went cloudy so I thought I was in luck but after being left in freezer for couple days nothing formed.

Eventually I took it out of freezer from memory there might of been a bit of oily bits around side of bowl but only a faint line of white round the top.

After cooling for a few minutes some fluffy white balls started forming in the mix I tried pulling some out with a sieve but they eventually melted back to nothing. Sad

Does anyone know what I've done wrong lol?

Sorry it's a little lengthy, just want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again.

Thanks to anyone thats read, even if you can't help I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Acu.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Tryptallmine
#2 Posted : 11/29/2015 9:18:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's either oils preventing crystallization or the DMT content in your solvent is lacking.

You could rule out the first by back salting your solvent. aka Mini A/B. That will clean your solvent up well. If you end up with nothing after that then you have low alkaloid content from your starting material.

Shellite works perfectly, what purity is the lye? You can use the same brand lye as the Shellite with excellent results as it is 98% purity.

A suggestion would be to use Earthwalkers Tek found below. It works very well for Acacia Sp. Have a read through it - it's extremely simple and can be completed with minimal mess. Just be safe, goggles, gloves and ventilation.

Pay good attention to the cleanup Mini A/B as it will net you very clean crystals with good material.

If you set aside 6-8 hours + 24 hour freeze precipitation, it is more than enough time to get a very high quality extract.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=683416#post683416

Acu
#3 Posted : 11/30/2015 7:00:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Tryptallmine! I'm really hoping it's the oils.

I've separated the bark and twigs from the phyllodes this time so will definitely use the back salting method for the phyllodes at least.

lye is 98 or 99% from memory.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Tryptallmine
#4 Posted : 12/1/2015 11:21:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Acu wrote:
Thanks Tryptallmine! I'm really hoping it's the oils.

I've separated the bark and twigs from the phyllodes this time so will definitely use the back salting method for the phyllodes at least.

lye is 98 or 99% from memory.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Don't bother separating anything. Just grind it up as finely as you can, if its still quite coarse then do a couple of freeze/thaws to break the cell structures up.

Once you've done your initial pulls, collect them all in a beaker, put that beaker in a heath bath for 30 minutes. I find this acts as a first line clean (it's precisely what you accomplish during a recrystallization). Create a gentle whirlpool in the beaker and contaminants will form in the bottom of the beaker.

You'll probably find micro particles of plant material or lye on the bottom of that beaker. Very carefully decant that off and back salt that mix in the mini A/B. This is how I always get very clean pure white crystals.

Full 24 hours in the freezer uninterrupted and you'll be good to go. enjoy

Tryptallmine.