We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Green Scene and What to Do With The Leftovers Options

TGO
#1 Posted : 11/17/2015 3:09:02 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Alright guys, I have one of those box style vaporizers (with whip attachment) albeit it is a cheap one but it gets the job done. My question is what do you do with the leftover marijuana that is "spent" after a good vaping session?

I usually vape at 330-340 degrees F and vape it till it tastes like it is starting to burn. Obviously some is leftover and I would imagine that there is still some actives in the brown crumbly remains.

My lady and I go through about 14g every 2-3 weeks depending on multiple factors. Naturally, this has left me with a bigger and bigger pile of "crumbly brown" ...

Some stoner friends of mine make brownies with the remains and have had good results. I was thinking something more along the lines of an alcohol soak for a month or more, strain, evap, and scrape remaining residue to result in some sort of hopefully potent resin.

Is it worth it to go through the trouble? Or should I just save my time and throw the brown out?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

arcologist
#2 Posted : 11/17/2015 3:37:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I regularly recycle the leftovers from my vape. What works best for me to get a reasonably clean extract is this:
1. Grind leftovers to powder
2. add enough acetone to cover the weed, agitate it for 30 seconds, then pour through a filter into another container.
3. Repeat acetone extraction twice, combine pulls.
4. Evaporate acetone with a fan. (few hours)
5. Dissolve the remainder in 90% ISO (could also use ethanol). Some of the brown gunk will not go into solution, that's ok, that stuff is gross.
6. Pour ISO into another container and evaporate. (few more hours)
7. Add a small amount (e.g. 30ml) of coconut oil at very low heat (e.g. <120 F, I put a glass bowl on top of my toaster oven, hot but touchable). Use a spoon or something to agitate the dark goo to make sure it is all dissolved.
8. After ~20 minutes of this, suck up the coconut oil into a plastic syringe, leave the solids behind.

The ISO step is optional, but recommended to get a cleaner oil. The acetone extract is dirty. It's also dirty if you extract with only ISO. Each solvent has different insoluble impurities that it excludes. Acetone is better for the initial extraction because it dissolve the resin much more quickly than ISO does, almost instantly, allowing shorter pulls and cleaner extract overall. ISO pulls tons of black goo.

The resulting oil can be taken sublingually (tastes gross usually), or put in capsules, or used for cooking. I don't bother extracting until I have >1 ounce of vaped bud, the yields are pretty low. The yield is largely dependent on how thorough you are in your initial vaporization. I practically blacken mine so the yield is low.

The effects of this oil are usually pretty mild. It is pretty low in THC, higher in non-psychoactive degradation products like CBN. Though, it can work well if you take enough of it. Sublingual is usually the most efficient route of administration.

I have also tried evaporating the acetone extract onto mullein (enhanced-leaf style). This can produce a pretty potent smoke that doesn't taste that bad.

TGO
#3 Posted : 11/17/2015 3:59:19 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Right on, man! Thanks for the quick and thorough reply!

I have about an ounce of "the brown" saved up at the moment but I was waiting until I have at least a quarter pound before doing any extraction. I figured that yield would be low seeing as a decent percentage of THC is gone by the time everything is vaped. However, some of the other goodies have benefits too and I would hate to waste anything when it comes to cannabis.

I have acetone and 99.9% ISO on hand so following your instructions should be pretty straightforward. The reason I was thinking of just an alcohol soak was because a friend mentioned "The Green Dragon" which is where you take your un-vaporized weed and let it soak in a high proof alcohol for x amount of time which leads to the eventual creation of a tincture.

Obviously with vaporized leftovers, the result would be less potent unless I had a massive amount to extract from.

Thank you for your idea! I will likely give both a try when I've saved up enough remains...! Smile

Gone-and-Back
#4 Posted : 11/18/2015 1:09:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I usually make weed infused peanut butter with the left overs. Or they just get smoked if I am out of weed.

I usually don't vape mine to completion though, I can't remember the temp I keep it at but it has a golden brown color when done and a very tiny bit of greenish color spots here and there. So the resulting peanut butter or smoke is still pretty potent.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

TGO
#5 Posted : 11/18/2015 9:08:01 PM

Welcoming committee

Gone-and-Back wrote:
I usually make weed infused peanut butter with the left overs. Or they just get smoked if I am out of weed.

I usually don't vape mine to completion though, I can't remember the temp I keep it at but it has a golden brown color when done and a very tiny bit of greenish color spots here and there. So the resulting peanut butter or smoke is still pretty potent.

Weed infused peanut butter sounds pretty amazing! My remains are mostly brown with slight shades of green here and there. Thanks for the input!

Smile

Gone-and-Back
#6 Posted : 11/18/2015 10:41:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:
Gone-and-Back wrote:

Weed infused peanut butter sounds pretty amazing! My remains are mostly brown with slight shades of green here and there. Thanks for the input!

Smile

No problem. It's a pretty easy thing to make too. Just put some peanut butter on two crackers, sandwich the bud between them, and bake in the oven at like 200F for maybe 10-15 minutes or so. You don't have to be too critical with cooking times because honestly you can just straight up eat the bud, and it should get you high that way too since it has been activated by the heat from vaporizing already.

I use to just put the spent weed in capsules and eat em. It worked, but would cause some nasty gas issues that smelled like weed hahaha.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

TGO
#7 Posted : 11/21/2015 1:50:52 AM

Welcoming committee

Gone-and-Back wrote:
The Grateful One wrote:
Gone-and-Back wrote:

Smile

No problem. It's a pretty easy thing to make too. Just put some peanut butter on two crackers, sandwich the bud between them, and bake in the oven at like 200F for maybe 10-15 minutes or so. You don't have to be too critical with cooking times because honestly you can just straight up eat the bud, and it should get you high that way too since it has been activated by the heat from vaporizing already.

I use to just put the spent weed in capsules and eat em. It worked, but would cause some nasty gas issues that smelled like weed hahaha.

Very happy

I love the simplicity of this! My GF and I are about to make a few pot peanut butter cracker sandwiches right now! I still plan on making a tincture or something with the remainder once I have enough but wanted to try this out!

Smile

TGO
#8 Posted : 11/22/2015 4:17:33 AM

Welcoming committee

So we made 4 cracker sandwiches containing a half gram of spent vape bud in each sandwich...we both ate two...

To make a long story short, I was still stoned today at work for the first few hours! Laughing

This method works quite well! Thank you!

SynKyd
#9 Posted : 11/22/2015 7:39:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Eating it in gel caps works well for me, but not so good for my friends with high tolerance. Roughly .25 g in a 00 cap is like eating half a decent brownie, IMO.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

TGO
#10 Posted : 11/23/2015 2:08:01 AM

Welcoming committee

SinysterKyd wrote:
Eating it in gel caps works well for me, but not so good for my friends with high tolerance. Roughly .25 g in a 00 cap is like eating half a decent brownie, IMO.

Indeed! Surprisingly, the PB and cracker method was really easy to get down the hatch. Normally I infuse the bud into oil/butter first and then cook with it. But eating the "crumbly brown" mashed between two crackers and peanut butter was actually rather pleasant!

Also, I must agree that if you are someone who is sensitive to MJ, always be careful when eating it. It is much more potent when used in this manner!

Love

RAM
#11 Posted : 11/23/2015 5:23:06 AM

Hail the keys!

Gone-and-Back wrote:

This is exactly what I do with my leftover vaped weed. I find the 00 capsules I pack to be very potent, but when I took four of them over the summer, it almost felt like I overdosed. I'm prone to getting paranoid anyway, but I had some terrible emotional and intestinal pain while I was essentially tripping on the bathroom floor.

Then I flew through cannabis hyperspace for a couple hours, and when my friends and I finally awoke, I was still extremely high. We went to a restaurant where I had waves of nausea while trying to enjoy some delicious mini-tacos. Then I was stoned until I went to sleep that night.

I suppose the lesson is that while it's easy to simply pack capsules and swallow them, it can be unpredictable and unpleasant. So if you do not want to take this kind of risk (they may not work very well at all either, depending on a lot of factors, like the strain of the AVB and how long you vaped it for), it is best to fiddle with some kind of extraction. I am just lazy and hardly use cannabis myself now, so I just give these to my friends who want to try them.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - ลฝiลพek

Gone-and-Back
#12 Posted : 11/25/2015 1:34:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm really glad to hear the peanut butter crackers worked for you! Some of my friends always tell me it doesn't work for them, but I think they just have too high a tolerance because edibles don't work well for them in general.

Strigiform
#13 Posted : 11/28/2015 7:01:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I generally save it up and then add it to baked stuff (banana or zuchini breads) or I make the crackers as described already in this thread.

I'm thinking of trying the acetone -> isoprobyl alcohol extraction route for around Christmas.

TGO
#14 Posted : 11/28/2015 11:01:11 PM

Welcoming committee

Strigiform wrote:
I generally save it up and then add it to baked stuff (banana or zuchini breads) or I make the crackers as described already in this thread.

I'm thinking of trying the acetone -> isoprobyl alcohol extraction route for around Christmas.

Oh, man! You got me thinking about the zucchini bread my mom makes on occasion. Delicious! The only problem is that she doesn't approve of any drugs (unless prescribed by a proper physician. Razz ) and I can't get my bread to taste the way hers does! Oh well, guess I'll keep trying! Smile