We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV4950515253NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

JSTAR
#1001 Posted : 9/14/2015 1:12:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Acacian for taking a look!

Can't wait to see what your pondering reveals!

I found this site that showed known varieties of acacia in NZ so if this is right it narrows down the field a little maybe?
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/...ss=&scfFlora_Status=

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

zzzwurple
#1002 Posted : 9/16/2015 3:36:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
zzzwurple your tree in post 989 looks to be the broad leaf variety of acuminata and the other the narrow phyllode variety

bodhisavita, your tree is not obtusifolia.. can't crack this one. its not floribunda and i don't think its longissima either.. where are you based?

forgot my pen, your first tree in post 984 looks to be acacia decurrens and the second looks similar to acacia linifolia but i'm not 100% on that i'll get back to you

JSTAR still pondering yours

Thank you acacian. I had little luck with the narrow phyllode variety for some reason despite trying several different plants. The broad phyllode variety gave powerful goo from the phyllodes. But not the one pictured. Maybe could there be look-alike narrow phyllode varieties that have different profiles?

LowHP
#1003 Posted : 9/26/2015 10:28:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey all! I've been doing my reading on Acacia and trying to tune my identification skills in the process. I live in South Australia (close to Adelaide) and as far as my searches have revealed, the more popular acacias for our uses are 3-4hours away, at least. However I've read a number of reports on A. Pycnantha being active (active being he goal here, not just DMT) and as this is a very common wattle near me I tried my hand at identifying some.

I didn't take my phone with me and so couldn't take habitat or full tree shots, but I did have a description of the tree on me and it matched all the parameters I could make sense of (still working on my botany vocab).

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!! I can always go back for more photos if necessary. Cheers,
LowHP attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,179kb) downloaded 253 time(s).
image.jpg (1,100kb) downloaded 253 time(s).
image.jpg (1,035kb) downloaded 256 time(s).

LowHP
#1004 Posted : 9/27/2015 4:48:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Believe I just found A. Longifolia subsp sophorae too, in my front yard! Heh.

Thinking when I gave up on Acacia in SA 2 years ago that I really should have done more research, heh.

Any confirmations? Cheers in advance. Will be running small tests on the phyllodes of both specimens.

Edit: should note that is has another, taller, nearly dead tree right next to it; the acacia itself is 6ft tall max. Also, is it common (or even heard of) for this "coastal wattle" to be found inland? 30-40kms from the nearest coast?
image.jpg (1,823kb) downloaded 246 time(s).
image.jpg (2,729kb) downloaded 247 time(s).
image.jpg (1,454kb) downloaded 246 time(s).

LowHP
#1005 Posted : 10/22/2015 7:32:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

My apologies for the double post. Due to a sudden, unexpected move I wasn't able to test any of the A. sophorae. Really wishing I grabbed some phyllodes before I left! Gah.

Anyhow, new state, new Acacias to identify! Sorta. The pictures I've added appear to be A. victoriae; however, I'm not sold due to the incredibly shrub-like nature I've been witnessing 'it' grow. Rather than a visible main-stem, these Acacias stay low and there are multiple "trunks" coming from it's base under the ground.

These plants had not started to seed yet, but the flowers are still abundant on the entire tree. I searched the ground multiple times for seeds but could never find a full pod.

I thank anyone in advance for reading my posts; sorry if I'm 'flooding' this thread with my persistence.
image.jpg (1,646kb) downloaded 220 time(s).
image.jpg (2,105kb) downloaded 217 time(s).

lemmy
#1006 Posted : 10/27/2015 6:17:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm guessing this is Acacia Auriculiformis, but I'm no expert on this.

This tree is in South East Asia.

Rainy season is about to end and the tree looks to me like it's just starting to flower.

I've found other trees which are identical (to my eye) which have been in flower for the past few months.

Most of the leaves have three main veins running through them.

Sorry I couldn't get a seed pod from this tree, or a shot of the trunk as I took these pictures at home. Also the quality of the pictures isn't great but it's the best I can do for now.

So, Acacia Auriculiformis???????? Any ideas?

PS. I went back and got some shots of the tree trunk and although there appears to be no seed pods on the tree yet I got a few pictures of an old one on the round from last season.

These trees (whatever they are) are used for pulp and firewood in this part of the world, they grow like weeds and seem to spread and seed themselves just about anywhere.

This particular tree is on a piece of land which is about to be built on so it'll be coming down shortly so I could extract from the stem bark (as I've read there is 5meo in the stem bark of Acacia Auriculiformis) but I would rather attempt to pioneer it with the flowers if anyone thinks it would be worth my while doing so (assuming it is in fact an Acacia auriculiformis).
lemmy attached the following image(s):
acacia 018.jpg (1,040kb) downloaded 221 time(s).
acacia 016.jpg (1,366kb) downloaded 224 time(s).
acacia 031.jpg (646kb) downloaded 218 time(s).
acacia 033.jpg (1,215kb) downloaded 217 time(s).
acacia 036.jpg (1,220kb) downloaded 219 time(s).
acacia 037.jpg (1,311kb) downloaded 219 time(s).
acacia 2 018.jpg (1,878kb) downloaded 203 time(s).
acacia 2 016.jpg (2,084kb) downloaded 205 time(s).
acacia 2 015.jpg (1,754kb) downloaded 201 time(s).
acacia 2 012.jpg (2,315kb) downloaded 200 time(s).
acacia 2 013.jpg (2,016kb) downloaded 198 time(s).

lemmy
#1007 Posted : 10/27/2015 6:44:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry I thought that I had posted this in the Acacia ID thread, I thought reply meant reply to the last persons post so I clicked on new topic, it seems by doing that I have created a new thread. You on't make it easy for people who usually have no interest in computers, it took me long enough to learn how to post a pic and I had to go to the chat section to get help to do that. Anyway, sorry mods!

lemmy
#1008 Posted : 10/27/2015 8:09:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

These pictures are from another tree growing close by the one in my previous post.

The leaves on this one are much bigger with four main veins running through them.

Although the flowers also look slightly yellow in this one the are actually closer to white. The only flower that I could get my hands on looks more yellow but the further up the tree I look they all look white. Strange but true.

I'll have to get my wives phone and take better pictures. The owner gave me permission to climb the tree however his dogs where freaking me out.

I have no guesses which Acacia this could be yet....
lemmy attached the following image(s):
acacia 2 001.jpg (1,870kb) downloaded 199 time(s).
acacia 2 002.jpg (1,986kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
acacia 2 003.jpg (2,288kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
acacia 2 004.jpg (2,102kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
acacia 2 009.jpg (2,054kb) downloaded 197 time(s).
acacia 2 010.jpg (1,591kb) downloaded 195 time(s).

AstralBob
#1009 Posted : 10/29/2015 12:45:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,
This tree is about 4-5m tall. They actually want to remove it, so I'll gladly take the roots if they do Big grin

Using a trees of southern africa book I recon its acacia caffra or acacia gerrardii, but really not sure at all. Sorry I couldn't find a seed pod.

Oh yeah the tree is in Gauteng, South Africa.
AstralBob attached the following image(s):
20151029_123230.jpg (197kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
20151029_123241.jpg (167kb) downloaded 191 time(s).
IMG-20151029-WA0002.jpg (334kb) downloaded 186 time(s).
Only you have the power to destroy yourself, or to be your greatest ally.

acacian
#1010 Posted : 11/17/2015 4:09:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lemmy, i'm pretty sure your tree is acacia mangium

Koornut
#1011 Posted : 11/18/2015 6:18:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,
Anybody have an idea as to what these little things are, growing on the twigs of a run-of-the-mill-but-still-special-in-its-own-way A. Melanoxylon?

They look like a fungi. I didn't want to disturb so I'm not sure how 'squishy' they are Wut?
Here they are in the bottom right corner of the frame, so you can get some context.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

lemmy
#1012 Posted : 11/19/2015 5:04:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
lemmy, i'm pretty sure your tree is acacia mangium

Acacian, I'm guessing that you are talking about the second tree that I posted as I thought it could have been Acacia Mangium too, however, I see that Acacia Mangium has blunter leaf tips than the ones in the picture that I posted, also judging from pictures I've looked at online, the Mangium looks to have more veins running through it too.

Could it be a cross/hybrid????

Does anyone know about possible crosses of A Mangium and A Auriculiformis?

I'm asking because most of the Acacias I'm finding have many similarities too both trees.

I have roughly 50 grams of dried Acacia flowers from the tree in my first picture (which I'm guessing is A Auriculiformis) which I am intending to do an extraction on. I know A Auriculiformis has had 5MEO found in the stem bark so I'd like to know if the flowers contain anything.

DELETED_USER00002
#1013 Posted : 11/25/2015 3:50:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So firstly I'll apologise for reposting a few of the pics as I have already posted a thread in the other section of the forum but I would like to compile them into one post and keep them in the proper forum Smile

SPECIAL NOTE: Drag the image into a new tab to see a full size pic with more details

'Acacia Longifolia Var. Sophorae'
Location: South East Melbourne towards Mornington, very close to the ocean (~approx 500m)
Date: Mid November
Notes/Description: This shrub is low to the ground growing to approx 2-3m in height and spreading 2-3m in all directions, Foliage is tough and mostly straight, growing to approx 5-10cm in length and ~3cm wide, young shoots are green to lime-green colour tipped and older foliage is dark green going to red/purple on the edges and in the veins.

Possible 'Acacia Melanoxylon'
Date: Late November
Notes/Description: This small shrub has notably wide leaves and curve a bit, rounded at the end...not much to mention about this, it's only a foot high, most likely a dropped seed, I would have to revisit this when it starts floweing if it is mature enough

some kind of 'Acacia Floribunda' or variation/hyrid
Notes/Description: Bush approximately 2-3m tall with Thin and widely spaced out foliage approx 1cm wide, 10cm long with large pods on branches, I didn't think to grab some of the seed pics for photos as my mind was elsewhere, I will revisit this when it flowers and get some more pics

Unknown Acacia #3
Notes/Description:Young tree, mostly upright with very long and thin foliage approx 1cm wide and 20cm in length, spotted on a stroll, will have to return once flowering

ID: Agonis flexuosa (common names:Western Australian peppermint, Swan River peppermint or peppermint
Notes/Description: (I recently discovered this to be the Peppermint Tree, I have no idea on any potential alkaloids but if anyone knows let me know)This Huge tree has been growing near my family home since before I can remember, I only thought about it since I was only recently so obsessed with finding acacias and I remember swinging on it's long weeping branches when I was a kid! haha. Quite a large tree with fiberous bark growing to maybe 10-15 meters and foliage is all weeping down on very long limbs It has small narrow leaves 1-2cm wide and approx 5-10cm long, currently in flower as can be seen by the pics.

There will be heaps more to come!

DELETED_USER00002
#1014 Posted : 11/26/2015 9:18:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Continuing on my rampage I have been in touch with nature a bit more, everywhere I look I see acaciaShocked

Unknown acacia #4
Notes/Description: Only a young tree, won't be touching this one but still quite curious to its name but could be a bit difficult as its only a few feet tall and void of any juvenile growth or flowers.

Unknown acacia #5 (pycnantha or maybe Implexa?)
Notes/Description: Tall (5m+?), rough bark, With sparse growth, very twiggy, somewhat brittle. Single pale yellow flowers, spiralled seed pods but not very long maybe ~10cm

Unknown acacia #6
Notes/Description: Very tall tree, looks to be 10-15m tall with cascading foliage. Some of the phyllodes had the small leaves on their tips, many fresh seed pods so I must have just missed the flowering which would have been early spring, so unfortunately can get a description until next year Sad does this hint to any particular species?? Very long seed pods (15+cm) this one I have a good feeling about Very happy

DELETED_USER00002
#1015 Posted : 11/27/2015 4:07:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Last one today I promise!

definitely looks like Implexa from my googling

quynh ice
#1016 Posted : 11/28/2015 2:28:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Smile Hey guys,
Next week I will try to extract DMT from acacia auriculiformis in leaf and root bark,I work in a wood chip company,many root bark must remove before we make woodchip for our customer,pray it contain MEO DMT in it...I will post my extract for you.
My plan now is extract Scopolamine from Datura metel,last week I've extracted some ankaloid in Datura metel by A/B and chilled it with my friend,so funny...

DELETED_USER00002
#1017 Posted : 12/6/2015 5:24:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

anyone able to identify these trees? forum is a bit quiet as of late

DreaMTripper
#1018 Posted : 12/7/2015 2:03:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Astro84 wrote:
So firstly I'll apologise for reposting a few of the pics as I have already posted a thread in the other section of the forum but I would like to compile them into one post and keep them in the proper forum Smile

SPECIAL NOTE: Drag the image into a new tab to see a full size pic with more details

First up I have a possible 'Acacia Longifolia Var. Sophorae' Correct (or acacia sophorae)
Location: South East Melbourne towards Mornington, very close to the ocean (~approx 500m)
Date: Mid November

Unknown Acacia #1 Possibly a.melanoxylon
Notes/Description: This small shrub has notably wide leaves and curve a bit, rounded at the end...not much to mention about this, it's only a foot high, most likely a dropped seed, I would have to revisit this when it starts floweing if it is mature enough

Unknown Acacia #2 a.floribunda variation possibly a hybrid..
Notes/Description: Bush approximately 2-3m tall with Thin and widely spaced out foliage approx 1cm wide, 10cm long with large pods on branches, I didn't think to grab some of the seed pics for photos as my mind was elsewhere

DreaMTripper
#1019 Posted : 12/7/2015 2:11:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Astro84 wrote:
Last one today I promise!

definitely looks like Implexa from my googling

No doubt at all, a.implexa is easy to identify by its very rough bark no other acacia in Vic Ive seen has such rough bark, this tree needs researching spidey senses tell me it has lessons for us..phyllodes are plentiful on most adult trees.

Its oodgood to see someone actually attempt to identify them via research rather than just spamming the thread and hoping for the best keep up the good work.

DELETED_USER00002
#1020 Posted : 12/7/2015 7:10:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have been observing quite a lot and have identified similar trees in my area. Hopefully I get some more IDs back from the other trees Big grin

«PREV4950515253NEXT»