We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Seasonal affective disorder / winter depression Options

Bancopuma
#21 Posted : 11/22/2015 12:19:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is definitely not a placebo effect, it is a real condition that affects different people to different degrees...some people don't feel any different, some people suffer severely with depression, lack of energy and fatigue. We're all individuals and react differently to things, important to remember that.

I'm someone who really enjoys living somewhere with seasons, and winter days can be incredibly stunning. However a year and half ago I moved to north Scotland where the winters are long and dark. I'd heard some great things about SAD lights, including a few specific reviews from people who had moved to Scotland which caught my interest. I got this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...h_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I got myself a SAD lamp and have to say I've been really impressed. I stick it on in the morning with a cup of tea and breakfast, and I've been feeling consistently greater well being, mood and energy in the daytime since using it in the mornings (meant to be the best time), and it helps me wake up. Now correlation does not infer causality, it could be diet or other life style factors having an influence, but my personal hunch is the light is having a positive effect.

Ufostrahlen, have you noticed a difference since getting your light? Personally I definitely feel mine was worth the money, no regrets here.

A study here published just a few days ago suggesting light therapy could show promise treating general depression as oppose to just SAD.

Raymond W. Lam, Anthony J. Levitt, A.J., Robert D. Levitan, R.D., MD, Michalak, E.E., Morehouse, R., Ramasubbu, R., Yatham, L.N., Edwin M. Tam, E.M. (2015) Efficacy of Bright Light Treatment, Fluoxetine, and the Combination in Patients With Nonseasonal Major Depressive Disorder. A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. In Press.

https://archpsyc.jamanet...e.aspx?articleid=2470681

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ufostrahlen
#22 Posted : 11/22/2015 8:11:26 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Bancopuma wrote:
Ufostrahlen, have you noticed a difference since getting your light? Personally I definitely feel mine was worth the money, no regrets here.

Yeah, since I improved the lighting in my room, the darker days don't affect me anymore. Before I was lying in bed, not feeling motivated and trying to improve the situation with Red Bull, which made things even worse in the long run. Tried various substances with no or no lasting effect. But the new lighting made the trick. It's so effective that even when I'm tired and yawing at night, I'm still awake, because the melatonin production is shut off. That's why I ordered some supplemental melatonin.

The only beef I have with SAD lamps is that they are stationary. If one has money and time on his/her hand, he/she could look into outfitting the rooms with dimmable LED arrays. All you need is to get the lighting above 600 lux to switch off the melatonin production. Or dim the LEDs in the evening to facilitate sleep. You can get cheap lux meters from China for 15€ incl. shipping.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Psilosopher?
#23 Posted : 11/22/2015 9:54:20 AM

Don't Panic

I recommend using f.lux and Twilight for PC and Android respectively, if you use technology at night.

In regards to depression, the cure is simple. Just be positive. I know it's not a definitive answer, but it's really the only way to not be depressed. If you don't want to drown, then you must swim. That desire alone should be enough to wake someone up from depression, but it's not as simple as that.

There was a friend of mine who suffered from depression. He told me about his thought patterns, and said he often had suicidal thoughts. When asked "what reason do you have to be depressed?", he told me about the triggers that caused his depression. So I asked, "why is it still affecting you, even though it happened in the past?". And he said "I don't know". So I told him that his mind was reliving past memories and thoughts, just stewing in those old emotions. Once you enter that mindset, it's very difficult to get out. Especially when psychomotor retardation kicks in (basically, so depressed that you don't have the energy to get up in the morning).

A lot of people, like my friend, ask the question "what's the point in getting up in the morning?". To which, nothing and no one responds. And so they lie in bed for much longer than is necessary, for some people, all day. Add ease of technology, and it becomes extremely easy to get a quick dopamine fix. It is a self defeating mentality.

The only solution I can see is to give your life purpose. This can only happen within your mind. You can give your life purpose by setting a goal, turning to role models or just a desire to escape the torment that is depression. You can channel your negativity into positivity. One trick I implement when I'm feeling a bit down is to say to myself "why am I sad? What purpose does this serve? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!". And this works a treat. I get up, and read a poem that I have attached to my bedroom wall. It's what gives me inspiration. And I go out and do something. Literally anything. The feeling of being active and physically doing something gives me some sense of living.

In regards to seasonal affective disorder, a lot of people don't like rain or snow. They see it as a hindrance, and consequently, feel bitter when it comes. When it is raining or snowing for weeks at at time, it's easy to see why seasonal affective disorder is a thing. There is a certain type of person that I've noticed. These people, NEVER get bogged down by the weather or seasons or anything. These people love ALL types of weather. When it rains, they walk in the rain with no umbrella. They embrace it. And it turns out, it's not just weather that they love. It's everything.

When you feel love, nothing can stop you.

To those who feel unloved, all you need to do is reach out. I guarantee there will be a hand for you, all you gotta do is reach.

I come from a biomedical science background, and I absolutely detest big pharma. Remember, change comes from within.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

hixidom
#24 Posted : 11/25/2015 8:07:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
It really sucks lying in bed not being able to have a goal or being able to accomplish anything.

That's how I feel a lot lately. It could be SAD, but probably it's from other things in my life. Regarding SAD, here in NC it is getting cold but it is still sunny, so I think it's less likely that SAD results from sunlight and more likely that it results from the cold, which inhibits the sorts of outdoor activities that we can enjoy. Someone said ride a bicycle (a lot) and I agree with that; I guess the adrenaline is emotionally cleansing.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

Ufostrahlen
#25 Posted : 11/25/2015 9:26:38 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

hixidom wrote:
Quote:
It really sucks lying in bed not being able to have a goal or being able to accomplish anything.

That's how I feel a lot lately. It could be SAD, but probably it's from other things in my life. Regarding SAD, here in NC it is getting cold but it is still sunny, so I think it's less likely that SAD results from sunlight and more likely that it results from the cold, which inhibits the sorts of outdoor activities that we can enjoy. Someone said ride a bicycle (a lot) and I agree with that; I guess the adrenaline is emotionally cleansing.

Funny, I currently feel like I have too much to do and not much time. It's snowing and the weather is grey. But the lamp is on ~ 8h a day, I'm high on caffeine and I wait for my melatonin to arrive, so I can chill out at night.

Maybe look into stuff that benefits ppl? Program an app or learn to do it e.g. - Or do volunteer work for the needy if you want to socialize. We feel good, if our goals benefit others.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

PREV12