We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extracting Alkaloids from M. Speciosa (Kratom) Options

Godsmacker
#1 Posted : 7/8/2015 2:43:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering how one would go about extracting alkaloids from Kratom leaves. I haven't found any reliable teks on the internet, and was wondering if any members here have attempted such an extraction on this substance.

With regards to extraction, I was thinking that an A/B on raw plant matter, possibly followed by a mini-A/B to remove any leafy components of the plant. Which NPS would be best for pulling Kratom Alkaloids? Naphtha/heptane would be ideal as freeze precipitation would be possible but idk how soluble freebase mitragynine and 7-HO mitragynine would be in such a solvent.

Also, I was wondering how stable Mitragynine and 7-HO mitragynine would be in a strongly basic (1 M NaOH or equivalent) solution and what effect temperatures of 120-212 degrees farenheit would have on the structures of the alkaloids as I know that some compounds will degrade, isomerize, and otherwise change in nature of structure and function when exposed to such conditions.

I would appreciate the input of the community on this subject as I have become interested in extracting Kratom Alks myself and have yet to come accross a trustworthy tek on how to do it. 10X, 20X etc extractions don't interest me-i'm curious to know if the alkaloids themselves can be isolated from plant matter for more accurate dosing.

Thank you for your time and input,
-Godsmacker
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

SpartanII
#2 Posted : 11/25/2015 4:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bump because I'm wondering the same thing, although I almost think it would be a little easier and more "full spectrum" do just do an alcohol extraction, followed by a water extraction (or vice versa) to pull anything the previous solvent didn't.

Anecdotally, kratom extracts are best taken with plain leaf anyways, as this is supposed to give a more well-rounded experience, possibly because the extracts may be missing some of the alkaloids that contribute to the experience (potentiators and/or NMDA antagonists maybe?)

SpartanII
#3 Posted : 11/27/2015 6:58:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I found this thread
but I'm not sure what exactly is in the final product. I wouldn't want to ingest the stuff from this tek however, as it's pulled with toluene and acetone, but I like the idea and experimental attitude.Thumbs up

I'm thinking of just making a tincture with vodka. Maybe ill post my procedure and results if it turns out...

rOm
#4 Posted : 11/27/2015 10:13:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried a similar extraction two years ago. The product was looking good ( mustard yellow crystals ) but the bioessays werent conclusive as long as I remember. So I decided to start again from crude ethanol extract and try that out to start with.
Am gonna play 100 grams green Malay powder leaves into 96° ethanol.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !