We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Yerba mate, music and meditation Options

Valmar
#1 Posted : 11/16/2015 5:48:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interestingly, a while ago, I discovered quite by accident that with large, multiple cup doses of yerba mate, combined with meditating to appropriate music has a subtle psychedelic effects for me, including making my intuitive insights more pronounced when I concentrate enough. Meditation seems to come naturally in this state of mind for me.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this or similar substances?
“The dao that can be expressed is not the eternal Dao.”
~ Lǎozǐ

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
~ Carl Jung

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Cognitive Heart
#2 Posted : 11/16/2015 9:23:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ime, yerba mate has mostly affected me in a stimulant way. Thereby raising my sense of energy. Yerba is a good source of caffeine and other related xanthines. So I am not sure what compounds in yerba would cause any psychedelic effects. Yerba is also known to be calmer than other plant stimulants but with a definite sense of mental and physical energy.

Interesting experience, nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Amorak
#3 Posted : 11/17/2015 1:35:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, im from argentina and here we drink a lot of mate. I drink it daily on high doses and never ever had a psychedelic effect. For me is more a stimulant. It is nice to drink some mates in the morning, to have some inner thoughts before starting the day. But mostly, here we drink it in a social way. We share yerba mate using the same container and passing it (It is not a very healthy custom).
I dont know, maybe its like tea, it doesnt enlighten me but it seems that some zen monks find it usefull. I would guess that "meditating to appropriate music has a subtle psychedelic effects" for you. Wink

Samvega
#4 Posted : 11/25/2015 2:42:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Valmar wrote:
Interestingly, a while ago, I discovered quite by accident that with large, multiple cup doses of yerba mate, combined with meditating to appropriate music has a subtle psychedelic effects for me, including making my intuitive insights more pronounced when I concentrate enough. Meditation seems to come naturally in this state of mind for me.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this or similar substances?

I'm a big fan of mate, I love the smoky flavour Very happy Like the others are saying, I've only ever found mate to be a stimulant, a pretty good one too. Could it be that due to the stimulation (coupled with the music), your focus was improved in the meditation leading to a state of one pointedness or at least access concentration to this state?
I know that when I drink a guayusa tea (which is from the same family as mate and is also caffeinated) and then sit down to meditate, I seem to be able to focus easier.
"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease. The tears you have shed over loss with regard to disease while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

— SN 15.3