We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Should a person with diabetes type 1 take entheogens? Options

kiang
#1 Posted : 8/7/2015 1:07:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I know someone in this condition who finds entheogens for spiritual growth interesting. He has type 1 diabetes since he was 10 years old, he is now with 30. After searching and reading about most of the classic medicine plants he is willing to try.

There is not much info in the internet about the possible interactions on entheogens with the neuropathy that hipoglycemia gives. How to really distinguish one from another, how to decide if fasting should be avoided or not in case of ayahuasca, etc..

So i'm asking here for some guidance.. Anyone here with some knowledge about this issue, or has some direct experience with diabetes type 1, that is willing to share, i would be more than pleased.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

brilliantlydim
#2 Posted : 8/7/2015 3:47:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I personally know someone who has had Type 1 for about the same amount of time and has just started experimenting with entheogens this year. They have had positive results with mushrooms, 5-MeO and n,n. I think the main concern is making sure you aren't going into the experience with low range blood sugar. I've seen this persons blood sugar drop drastically from many different things, so far not from any entheogens, but it is always a concern as low blood sugar can be very dangerous very fast.

I would suggest a sitter who understands Type 1 at least basically and is able to check glucose levels and knows what to do if they do get too low.

Auxin
#3 Posted : 8/7/2015 5:30:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its not directly relevant to your fasting question, but interesting to note that the ß-carboline alkaloids of ayahuasca and syrian rue are the only known compounds which have been found capable of regrowing pancreatic beta cells, assuming there are still some left.
[Link]

kiang
#4 Posted : 8/7/2015 7:02:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ehud, from what he tells me, doctors advice that everytime he is planning on doing some activity where he's under stress (he sometimes gives lectures), that he should let the glucose level be a little higher. So yeah.. on the save side if he decides to have a go, the best is to not go into the experience with low range blood sugar. BTW the only entheogen available now would be san pedro cactus and end of summer syrian rue.

auxin, before i opened this thread i did a search and found your thread from a while ago. This is impressive scientific finding.. but after all this is medicine (plant) Rolling eyes Thumbs up

Godsmacker
#5 Posted : 8/8/2015 1:27:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A friend of mine afflicted with type 1 diabetes who uses psychedelics on an occasional basis finds that there is no negative interaction with psychedelics. He gives himself insulin shots on a regular basis and not once has he ever told me that psychedelics lowered his blood sugar levels. So as long as your friend remembers to keep insulin levels in check during the voyage they should be fine.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Hawaiigold
#6 Posted : 11/19/2015 1:46:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

One has had a lot of experience with this and never had a problem. Mushrooms on numerous occasions, San Pedro, Ayahuasca and lately DMT. Just make sure the sugar level is slightly high and not too much active insulin in the system to prevent low blood sugar while tripping. Have some emergency sugar available in case you start feeling or suspecting a low while tripping. Also, if not too confident with blood sugar control or inexperienced with psychedelics, a sitter is always a good idea. Avoid too high of a blood sugar as it can be quite annoying during a trip, if you test and it's way high up there and kinda makes you upset .... Smile
Love is all you need! And maybe some imagination....

Don't believe a word I say. None of it is true, all invented in my mind out of boredom.

travsha
#7 Posted : 11/19/2015 6:02:33 PM

Share Love ~

I know people who used Ayahuasca and San Pedro to help heal their diabetes. There is even a free documentary called Sacred Science where a man heals his diabetes at an Ayahuasca center in about 10 days I think... Almost any time I am in Peru for ceremony some of the people down there have diabetes and are looking for better and more effective treatment then what is offered in USA. A number of them have reported very good results to me.

Nathanial.Dread
#8 Posted : 11/19/2015 6:50:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

travsha wrote:
I know people who used Ayahuasca and San Pedro to help heal their diabetes. There is even a free documentary called Sacred Science where a man heals his diabetes at an Ayahuasca center in about 10 days I think... Almost any time I am in Peru for ceremony some of the people down there have diabetes and are looking for better and more effective treatment then what is offered in USA. A number of them have reported very good results to me.

I didn't think diabetes could be cured...and I can't think of how serotonergic drugs might cause changes in the systems that regulate insulin production (which are dysregulated in diabetes). Has there been any kind of population study looking at this? Are those people you know still cured a year after their experience? 5? How do they know they're healed?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

travsha
#9 Posted : 11/19/2015 7:15:53 PM

Share Love ~

People I know who said they were healed went to a doctor who diagnosed them, then did treatment with plant medicines, then went back to the doctor who said they were no longer diabetic. Treatment sometimes also included "dieting" other plants and/or eating only certain foods for a while. Sometimes they also got "homework" - lifestyle changes to follow when they got back home.

Watch the Sacred Science. It's on youtube for free last time I looked... Probably my favorite video about entheogens.

I dont think the healing has anything to do with seratonin. Ayahuasca has harmalas and San Pedro isnt a tryptamine at all. When I attend ceremony the view isnt that there is something physical in the plants helping people heal, but instead there is a shift in the persons thoughts, actions, emotions and spirit which helps them heal. The reason it works or how it works is all theory though. May sound crazy to you, but all I know is that whatever the reason is, it seems to work for some people.

arcologist
#10 Posted : 11/19/2015 7:39:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:

I didn't think diabetes could be cured...and I can't think of how serotonergic drugs might cause changes in the systems that regulate insulin production (which are dysregulated in diabetes). Has there been any kind of population study looking at this? Are those people you know still cured a year after their experience? 5? How do they know they're healed?

Blessings
~ND

No studies in humans yet, but the study mentioned earlier indicates that harmine has to potential to regrow beta cells, which might effectively "cure" it. I don't think the efficacy of ayahuasca against diabetes has anything to do with the DMT.

Hawaiigold
#11 Posted : 11/19/2015 9:23:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I heard these claims as well in Peru that San Pedro might cure diabetes and met a lady who told me her health is so much better now. You have to differentiate between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. There is currently no known cure for type 1 diabetes, but type 2 can be cured through major lifestyle changes e.g. Vegan diet, or an overall healthier diet and more sport activities. There fore I believe that a shift in ones habits and lifestyle choices after several San Pedro ceremonies can have a positive impact on a person with type 2 diabetes.....
The main problem with western medicine is that it's only designed to keep the sick alive while still sick long enough for the pharmaceutical companies to maximize their profits. They are not looking for cures ...
Love is all you need! And maybe some imagination....

Don't believe a word I say. None of it is true, all invented in my mind out of boredom.