We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Searching for enlightenment Options

harth
#21 Posted : 10/6/2015 5:48:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Again I want to ask about posting rights on this forum.

I'm a reader of many topics, I'm not a psychedelic drug // any drug user.

Can fill the questionnaire nevertheless.

What draws me here is your spirituality boards and culture & society boards and to some extent science boards.

Can share some thoughts w/ you, can learn some viewpoints from discussion with you. Hope I can add some meaningful contribution also. I'm rather against taking drugs in general - yes there is a possibility of preaching, or at least restating my opinion on drugs...that's how I feel about them.

What say you?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#22 Posted : 10/6/2015 7:07:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
I'm rather against taking drugs in general - yes there is a possibility of preaching, or at least restating my opinion on drugs...that's how I feel about them.

I am curious about your opinion: are you against other people having the options to choose whether they take drugs or not take drugs?

Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

pitubo
#23 Posted : 10/6/2015 7:12:17 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Hi,

My opinions on some of your questions:

The focus of this forum is dmt and all that relates to it. This is not the "enlightenment-nexus".

The fact that you say that you do not use drugs (like dmt) should not per se be an impediment for full participation on the forum, if you keep this a matter of your own opinion. I would be open to hear your personal arguments for your position and even consider them personally if they have a more general significance, but I find any form of preaching of your conviction to be a nuisance.

By the way, what do you consider "drugs"? Can you justify lumping in all "drugs" into one functional category? How about alcohol, cafeine, sugar, sex, entertainment media? Are you against these too?

What if the belief in "enlightenment" is in some sense a drug too? I would really like to hear your opinion on this matter!

Personally, I am very weary of all things "spiritual". I find that most of the time that "spirituality" is mentioned, I see it as a prelude and rationalization for superstition and anti-rationality. But for now let's consider that my personal opinion.

Lately, I have been requesting interested parties to provide me with a workable definition of "spirituality". I have so far been left disappointed in this particular matter. Perhaps you can help me by filling in the void left by so many others.

Finally, about enlightenment. I must disappoint you to say honestly that I think that any discussion of enlightenment is a dead end street. In fact if there is anything like enlightenment, desiring it and talking about it will only distract you from attaining it.

Instead of being enveloped in the desire for enlightenment, one should investigate one's motives and mechanisms for that desire. In that sense, I would be far more interested in a discourse on the condition of non-enlightenment and how the mirage of enlightenment and the quest for it is part of that condition.

Finally, I must point you toward U.G. Krishnamurti. You are especially advised to read what U.G. called "the mistake of enlightenment", a pamphlet named "The Mystique of Enlightenment. Whatever you may think of it, to me he seems the most sincere person I have come across, not only in matters of "enlightenment".

slugware
#24 Posted : 10/6/2015 7:14:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
One last realization. Just because I am enlightened doesn't mean I can exit my body and go live in a higher plain on command of my spirit, just like it doesn't enable me to shoot rainbows from my ass or to psychically educate people on their naiveté' whenever it comes about. That in itself is enlightening! And now your a little more enlightened by reading this.

Well said Pleased I think enlightenment is something that can not be hold on to constantly. In order to get in that state one will fluctuate in other 'states' in order to sync with this one at certain moments. But it definitely changes you anytime anywhere, meaning its effects. I probably contradict myself

seagull
#25 Posted : 10/6/2015 10:34:03 PM

Hello world!

Come by at the chat!

olympus mon wrote:
This quote I got from last night on the Chat sums up my thoughts on this perfectly. That being Enlightenment is not a place, destination, or achievement but a mind state from mastering and cleansing your perception.

"enlightenment is not a warm blanket designed to make you feel safe or comfortable...... enlightenment is a state of mind where one laughs dances and sings.... while they are drowning"

P.S.-do a Google search and type dmt nexus in the inquiry because I KNOW there have been multiple threads about this if your interested in reading past thoughts on the subject. No harm with starting a new conversation though IMO.

Death is inevitable, any moment.
Dance, Dance, Revolution!
You&Iverse

AcaciaConfusedYah
#26 Posted : 10/7/2015 2:37:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

If you try and try and try, and still cannot attain enlightenment.... This video might be your only hope. Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kDso5ElFRg

Enjoy. Smile
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Tattvadarshin
#27 Posted : 10/17/2015 9:55:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I didn't know anything about "enlightenment/self-realization", never even heard about it. So I don't think there is just one way to "reach/achieve this".

Be kind and gentle, but also bold and fierce. Forgive others and yourself, and don't be afraid of telling when something is wrong. Enjoy it all, even the "non pleasure".

Beelzebozo
#28 Posted : 10/18/2015 1:25:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As someone who spent several years of their life totally caught up in the "enlightenment game," going to see non-dual teachers, listening to talks, watching videos, reading books, meditating, asking "Who am I?" etc., at some point I realized that my quest was actually making me crazy. But I realized: when I wake up first thing in the morning, am I looking for something called "enlightenment?" In deep sleep? When I'm listening with my full attention to someone else, am I seeking enlightenment? No, I’m not thinking about it. Let me put this way, when I was a child I wasn’t looking to get liberated. Dogs probably don’t worry whether they’re fully present or not. Ironically, that’s what the figures we assign the state “enlightened” are really talking about, in my opinion. The natural state, that which is prior-to, which is not a product of mental effort.

So I saw that the whole quest is my own creation, that I have to first arbitrarily assign values to the word "enlightenment"/"liberation"/"moksha," etc. before I can try to attain it. Because if it was truly a necessary, serious thing, children would know about it, bushmen in Africa would know about it. Far be it for me to say what anyone should do, but I feel it's helpful to point this out, language can be a tricky thing. I benefited from asking myself if there was something else I’d rather be doing. It was feeling like homework, an assignment imposed from outside, I mean.

(And nowhere in this ramble am I knocking meditation, mind you. I still sit. It’s very important for maintaining my overall wellbeing.)

Any time I think I know where I’m heading, I call bullshit. Silly me. There are lots of fascinating things to focus on, but I don’t know about the grand narrative. As an old friend of mine would say, “It’s all monkeynuts.”
Quote:
I have come to believe that in the world there is nothing to explain the world.

―Loren Eiseley

hanumanji
#29 Posted : 10/20/2015 3:57:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There’s been some great replies already in this thread.

Searching for enlightenment will only lead to more searching…and more expectations….and more attachments to experiences - all of which will only distract you from seeing reality as it is, which is all enlightenment is anyway. Enlightenment is not something that is achieved; it’s awakening to what is. As olympus mon, enlightenment is not a place you get to, it’s not a warm blanket that makes everything better. Enlightenment is a state of consciousness, and when situated in this state of consciousness you are perceiving reality independently and freely from the conditioning and judging of the mind. Enlightenment seems to be a real buzzword, but it’s only a concept of the mind, and to conceptualize and label reality only diminishes from what it truly is.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the spirituality scene, thinking they should be some certain way, following teachers and gurus and not realizing its all under their nose, that they only need to open up to themselves, as it is a personalized journey. Maybe it doesn’t sound as exotic or exciting as having an ideal image of the way they should be – of how enlightenment should be. Striving to be like the perfect Buddha, who sits in serenity as he meditates in lotus position. But I think that image of the Buddha is only a symbol – a representation of how our inner being truly is, something that is always still, peaceful and statue like. Something that is always strong and not disturbed by the outer goings of the world – assured within itself, never looking to the outside for validation, always prepared to act from the heart with dignity. It’s who we truly are.

We’re all on the path to awakening; every being in the universe is in this game together. Psychedelics (drugs? medicine?) can help some and hinder others depending on how they’re used, but I don’t see any reason in judging people for how they choose to know themselves. In the end, though there are many paths we may chose from in order to grow, all the paths ultimately blend into one another, they’re all the same path, as there’s only one path - the path to awakening.

Intezam
#30 Posted : 10/24/2015 4:47:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

harth wrote:

Again I want to ask about posting rights on this forum. I'm not a psychedelic drug // any drug user. What draws me here is your spirituality boards and culture & society boards and to some extent science boards.

Why not? Surprised

NotTwo
#31 Posted : 10/24/2015 7:21:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just picking up a bit on what Beelzebozo and hanumanji said above, can I plug one of my favorite books of all time on this subject: Perfect Brilliant Stillness by David Carse, showing the absurdity of "seeking enlightenment".

I'm sure quite a few people here will have read it. A beautifully written account of "spontaneous" understanding by a guy who went to the Amazon rain forest to try out ayahuasca and found death of personal self instead.
In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

Ufostrahlen
#32 Posted : 10/25/2015 4:33:27 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Quote:
In Buddhism, buddhahood (Sanskrit: बुद्धत्व buddhatva; Pali: बुद्धत्त buddhatta or बुद्धभाव buddhabhāva) is the state of perfect enlightenment (Sanskrit: सम्यक्सम्बोधि samyaksambodhi; Pali: सम्मासम्बोधि sammāsambodhi) attained by a buddha (/ˈbuːdə/ or /ˈbʊdə/; Sanskrit pronunciation: [ˈbud̪d̪ʱə] ( listen); Pali/Sanskrit for "awakened one").
In Theravada Buddhism, Buddha refers to one who has become awakened through their own efforts and insight, without a teacher to point out the Dharma (Sanskrit; Pali dhamma; "right way of living").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhahood

The whole enlightment game is too confusing imo. I suggest you start reading about meditation, lucid dreams and OBEs if you aren't into drugs. And by reading I mean practicing.

Great video for waking up:

https://vimeo.com/55031271

I also suggest reading about drug harms - psychedelics are actually medicine, if they are used right.

Quote:
Risk assessment of ritual use of oral dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and harmala alkaloids.
Addiction. 2007 Jan;102(1):24-34.

Abstract
AIM:
To extend previous reviews by assessing the acute systemic toxicity and psychological hazards of a dimethyltryptamine and beta-carboline brew (ayahuasca/hoasca) used in religious ceremonies.

METHOD:
A systematic literature search, supplemented by interviews with ceremony participants.

RESULTS:
No laboratory animal models were located that tested the acute toxicity or the abuse potential of ayahuasca. Separate animal studies of the median lethal dose of dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and of several harmala alkaloids indicated that a lethal dose of these substances in humans is probably greater than 20 times the typical ceremonial dose. Adverse health effects may occur from casual use of ayahuasca, particularly when serotonergic substances are used in conjunction. DMT is capable of inducing aversive psychological reactions or transient psychotic episodes that resolve spontaneously in a few hours. There was no evidence that ayahuasca has substantial or persistent abuse potential. Long-term psychological benefits have been documented when ayahuasca is used in a well-established social context.

CONCLUSION:
A decoction of DMT and harmala alkaloids used in religious ceremonies has a safety margin comparable to codeine, mescaline or methadone. The dependence potential of oral DMT and the risk of sustained psychological disturbance are minimal.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/c...ent/2/4/e000774.abstract

Data source: Gable, R. S. (2006). Acute toxicity of drugs versus regulatory status. In J. M. Fish (Ed.),Drugs and Society: U.S. Public Policy, pp.149-162, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Rising Spirit
#33 Posted : 6/13/2017 8:17:27 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

harth wrote:

Mysticism:
Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.

Hi there. I made an account because I want to talk about enlightenment. I've been into this for a while, and I know this page and the open-mindedness of you all, and seen no direct thread on that on spirituality board.

I bookmarked this old thread a while ago and just re-discovered it tonight. It brings to mind some very deep, pertinent ideas about the nature of "enlightenment". Suffice it to say, it isn't really something that means the same thing to all people, in all cultures, from all time periods.

But breaking down the term, one must obviously be in contact with The Light and I believe that the word isn't just an allegory, a kind of figurative expression or poetic symbolism, IMO, it is implying the experience of the inner light. Or at least, that's how I perceive of the concept. For when this is applied to mystical awakening, there is a direct encounter and internal interphase within the fulcrum of universal luminosity, which translates to having activated the Ajna chakra, the "third eye" (or singular eye).

This tiny gland is truly a lens which views higher frequencies of conscious-awareness and part of it's forte is being a conduit for the effulgence of spiritual insight. Whether the cause of illumination is initiated by disciplined sadhana, deep meditation or the use of entheogens... it is the activation of the esoterically-receptive, mystically-inclined, metaphysically-oriented areas of the brain/mind complex, which triggers the full bloom of Self-realization or rather, God-illumination. Thumbs up

Quote:
So I want to start a topic on the spirituality board directly about that. How one does achieve enlightenment - the point of it all. Do you think it is a good idea? I think so. We can discuss the topic, say what we know and clarify what we don't know.
Cheers, harth

I feel that enlightened states of mind are less about "achieving" and more about creating clarity and finding stillness. Effectively releasing our desire to quantify the Sacred reality hidden within all things, as something outside of ourselves, thereby seeking out secret methodologies and carefully guarded meditation techniques, to become more and more enlightened. From my own infinitesimally small view of things, I believe that subjectifying our notions of Buddhahood or Christhood into some kind of goal or higher attainment, leads us back to further illusion.

Isn't it less about doing our religious practices and more about undoing all of the mental and emotional conditioning that prevents us from seeing this effulgence, both within ourselves and also, in others? In summation, I think that it is more a remembrance, a returning to one's true nature. When I am thinking, conceptualizing, that is.

It's late at night... and I am falling asleep at the keyboard. Cool

Yeshua the Christ wrote:
"The lamp of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

tseuq
#34 Posted : 6/13/2017 1:11:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rising Spirit wrote:

I feel that enlightened states of mind are less about "achieving" and more about creating clarity and finding stillness.

Beautiful! To me, stillness is the ever present source/plane/... within everything arises and falls, I am.

Rising Spirit wrote:
Isn't it less about doing our religious practices and more about undoing all of the mental and emotional conditioning that prevents us from seeing this effulgence, both within ourselves and also, in others? In summation, I think that it is more a remembrance, a returning to one's true nature. When I am thinking, conceptualizing, that is.

To me, that is the point. Inner stillness is all freedom based on love (is now). I can do as many practices (whatever I like to define as practice - f.e. smaolking spice, cleaning the house, wipping my back, ...) as I like, but they are all just what they are (f.e. wipping my back, folding my hands and saying/thinking some words) and they are, as long as I enjoy them, ok to me. I ask myself about my intention of my performed behaviour, what do I want to achieve with it, do I think the idea behind this pattern is based on logic and if yes, does it enrich my life? F.e. wipping my back sounds like an aweful pastime.

The essence in my opinion is the realization, that "enlightment" (what ever that means) is the ever present state of being in the now, which ultimately makes my whole human experience "holy / a practice" itself. It is a freedom (not an absence) of my conditioned self (which is totally vital as a survival tool), of the need to become/get/do anything, because this creates a condition in which I can not find peace and love because I am not perfect already in the now and the now is all there is.

In the now, there is only one.

All love, tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

deepthinker
#35 Posted : 6/20/2017 7:35:12 PM

meet me at the love parade

Enlightenment is simple - live in the present, don't allow thought to invade the mind unless you wish it to - by that I mean use thought / imagination / dreams / the ego as a tool and don't allow it to run you...

If you seek enlightenment you won't find it, because you are not seeking, your ego is.

The best book on it so far is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle it really goes into depth about the EGO, what it is and how it controls 99% of the population.

BTW living in the present is incredibly hard. Go sit down somewhere in a forest and just be. You will naturally start thinking of things past or future...just by labelling this "ego" to yourself they will fade but they will come back.

Entheogens are a shortcut. I reckon a 100ug tab of lsd is probably worth 2 years of daily meditation, if you set an intention and your set and setting are correct.

PREV12