We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Football player sentenced to 75 months for beating a man to death while high on mushrooms. Options

null24
#21 Posted : 10/1/2015 11:44:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Sphorange wrote:

I don't know I'm getting well sidetracked here, 48hrs deep into abstinence from nicotine. Neutral

Not at all, very well put.

Soory about the nicotine breakup, face it though man, it was a toxic relationship, you're better off.Wink
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Godzy
#22 Posted : 10/2/2015 4:58:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sphorange wrote:
darklordsson wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
I think it says odd things about this community that we'd rather believe another human being is a monster then that the drugs messed with his head.

Blessings
~ND

you're making it seem like the drugs have a negativity to them when it all has to do with the person taking them... I think it says odd things about you that you'd rather blame a substance for turning an innocent human being into a monster than that person turning the substance into a negative thing

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's called compassion.

Exactly how is any related to compassion I'm confused maybe I didn't read it right but please elaborate on this Sphorange

Gladly Smile

ND comes from a place of knowledge and wisdom regarding this particular situation; Where chemical and human are incompatible resulting in death. But the conclusion he draws is not an immediate defence of the either/or, placing blame etc.
It is compassionate to understand that no party is at fault here. Sure, punish within the bounds of law when necessary and it is obviously necessary in this case.
But if we are going to move towards a post-prohibition world these are the conversations we need to start having now.
There's 7 billion stories being told now, things like this are inevitable.

It's troubling to me, how quick to blindly defend a class of chemicals some people can be. This is especially true with cannabis, less so with psychedelics.
If the end result is non-prohibition but the foundation was laid down with biased science and dogmatic us/them institutions, does it really matter?
We all know this world will be beautiful, a civil blank canvas to recreate society etc etc. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.

I don't know I'm getting well sidetracked here, 48hrs deep into abstinence from nicotine. Neutral

you win lol

Nathanial.Dread
#23 Posted : 10/2/2015 5:24:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sphorange wrote:
darklordsson wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
I think it says odd things about this community that we'd rather believe another human being is a monster then that the drugs messed with his head.

Blessings
~ND

you're making it seem like the drugs have a negativity to them when it all has to do with the person taking them... I think it says odd things about you that you'd rather blame a substance for turning an innocent human being into a monster than that person turning the substance into a negative thing

Exactly how is any related to compassion I'm confused maybe I didn't read it right but please elaborate on this Sphorange

Gladly Smile

ND comes from a place of knowledge and wisdom regarding this particular situation; Where chemical and human are incompatible resulting in death. But the conclusion he draws is not an immediate defence of the either/or, placing blame etc.
It is compassionate to understand that no party is at fault here. Sure, punish within the bounds of law when necessary and it is obviously necessary in this case.
But if we are going to move towards a post-prohibition world these are the conversations we need to start having now.

It's troubling to me, how quick to blindly defend a class of chemicals some people can be. This is especially true with cannabis, less so with psychedelics.
If the end result is non-prohibition but the foundation was laid down with biased science and dogmatic us/them institutions, does it really matter?
We all know this world will be beautiful, a civil blank canvas to recreate society etc etc. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.

Thanks, you said that much more eloquently than I could have Thumbs up

For me, it really does come down to compassion, and trying to see the good in every person. As much as I love psychedelic drugs, and for all the good they've done for me (quite possibly saving my life), it seems like a no-brainer to me that if you had a support the drugs, or a living, thinking, feeling person, we should choose the person every time.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

darklordsson
#24 Posted : 10/3/2015 2:41:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godzy wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
darklordsson wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

Gladly Smile

you win lol

Thanks I can say that I understand a lot better now, compassion is defiantly something that just needs to happen. It is inevitable that these horrible things happen, some may just react differently to different substances and its not their fault, I guess he didnt know what would happen, especally if it was his first time experiencing something as a trip. Thanks for the response it was very insightful.

Sincerely,

dls

Metanoia
#25 Posted : 10/3/2015 6:26:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CTE.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/09/16/does-football-make-you-violent-examining-the-evidence/

Chronic brain trauma, as you're likely to experience when you play football as a career, can lead to increased aggression. It's no coincidence that football players are arrested for domestic violence more than any other crime.

Nathanial.Dread
#26 Posted : 10/3/2015 9:09:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metanoia wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned CTE.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/09/16/does-football-make-you-violent-examining-the-evidence/

Chronic brain trauma, as you're likely to experience when you play football as a career, can lead to increased aggression. It's no coincidence that football players are arrested for domestic violence more than any other crime.

That's a really good point. It hadn't occurred to me, but it seems totally possible that, if he had light brain damage from football, he might react badly to the mushrooms. I think a lot of damage happens to executive and analytical parts of the brain, like the mPFC, and if those regions were injured (which they often are in football), he might have struggled to maintain self control or process what was happening to him.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Godzy
#27 Posted : 10/4/2015 12:00:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

well the way i see it, he beat a man to death, wether it was an accident or not, he just ended someone else's life... despite all the reasons that make me believe/not believe it was an accident, none of us know what really happened so i'm not picking a side.. I understand being compassionate, but there are people who will abuse your compassion. what happens when real murderers start blaming substances like shrooms for their actions?

darklordsson
#28 Posted : 10/6/2015 2:42:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godzy wrote:
well the way i see it, he beat a man to death, wether it was an accident or not, he just ended someone else's life... despite all the reasons that make me believe/not believe it was an accident, none of us know what really happened so i'm not picking a side.. I understand being compassionate, but there are people who will abuse your compassion. what happens when real murderers start blaming substances like shrooms for their actions?

That's where it becomes a fine line. I stick to throwing him in jail and fining him for all he's worth.. But, there is still that fine line I guess the end result outweighs any other verdict. "What was his mental state sober?" Were there any kind of problems such as a disorder? Or was he violent? Who knows, but in the end he killed someone, and that is punishable.. and yes, people do abuse compassion quite frequently.

PREV12