We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
D-limonene is this the real deal?? Options

AIRDOG
#1 Posted : 10/3/2015 3:14:35 AM
Padawan

Hi... will this work?? it is sold as d-limonene in the title.. but reads orange terpenes in the bottle

link

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

TGO
#2 Posted : 10/3/2015 7:37:36 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Probably, but don't quote me! Very happy I mean, it says food grade and high purity but did it say anywhere exactly what the purity is and if anything is added? I would look up the MSDS for it before making a purchase.

I use limonene A LOT and so I would highly recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Bl...e-Terpenes/dp/B00508BM18

It is a bit more expensive for the gallon than the bay's but trust me, it works like a charm. They send you four 32oz bottles instead of one 1-gal bottle generally. It is 100% high purity food grade limonene. Nothing added whatsoever! And it smells soooooooo good!

Hope this helps

Thumbs up

EDIT:

Just wanted to add, you can request the MSDS from the seller on amazon via email. I did that but seems like I deleted the email...Embarrased

Anyway I sent another request and when the seller gets back to me I will post it here...for now, here is the complete description of the product:

Amazon wrote:

Product Description
If you've never used a citrus solvent try it! It works like nothing you've ever used before. Pure, organic, NOTHNG ADDED. This is the highest purity available (HP) and it's FOOD GRADE which means it's as clean and pure as it comes; purer than technical grade and completely clear with no tint whatsoever (see pictures, we use clear PET bottles, the ONLY plastic container compatible with d-Limonene).

High Purity d-Limonene is double vacuum distilled from pure cold pressed orange oil resulting in an extremely pure and clean product, whereas technical grade is steam distilled from the left over peels. Regardless of the purpose for use, High Purity (HP) food grade d-Limonene is superior to technical grade.

From the most reputable manufacturer of citrus solvents, packaged under the strictest conditions into appropriately suited hermetically sealed containers. Bottles are 100% impervious to d-Limonene and are also recyclable/environmentally safe.

What is d-Limonene?
d-Limonene is the major component of the oil extracted from the rinds of oranges.

Applications are limitless but include removal of: grease, oil, tar, adhesive residue, tree sap, gum, crayon, wax, asphalt, graffiti, blood, grass, soap scum, scuff marks, stickers. Safe effective pest control. Dissolves HIPS for 3D printing. In natural and alternative medicine, backed by substantial medical studies, d-Limonene is marketed to relieve gastro esophageal reflux disease and heartburn.

100% Organic/No Synthetic Chemicals Added, Environmentally Safe, Biodegradable, Non-Corrosive, Safe on Skin and Hair, Safe Enough to Drink (not recommended). Note: Do not use d-Limonene on cats. Unlike other animals and humans, many essential oils can be toxic to cats.

Guaranteed best deal on the best solvent!

Just don't use it on your cat apparently! Laughing

Anywho, good luck!

New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Ufostrahlen
#3 Posted : 10/3/2015 9:14:50 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Terpenes & terpenoids, sweet orange oil CAS No. 68647-72-3
d-Limonene beta-Myrcene alpha-Pinene
91-95% 1-3% 1-2%

d-Limonene CAS No. 5989-27-5

See page 8 of http://www.epa.gov/HPV/p...es/monoterp/c13756tp.pdf

Quote:
3.4 Human Health Data
3.4.1 Acute Toxicity
Oral and dermal LD50 values for five members (limonene, myrcene, terpinolene,
dihydromyrcene and sweet orange peel oil) of this chemical category indicate a low order of
both oral and dermal toxicity. All rabbit and rat dermal, and mouse and rat oral LD50 values
exceed 4,000 mg/kg with the majority of values greater than 5,000 mg/kg [Levenstein, 1975;
Moreno, 1972a, 1972b, 1972c, 1972d, 1973a, 1973b, 1980b; Tsuji et al., 1975a;
Paumgartten et al., 1990]. Based on these data, it is concluded that all of the members of this
chemical category are of very low acute toxicity.

Will it work? IDK, for what? Cleaning your bath? Not sure if you want beta-Myrcene & alpha-Pinene in your solvent. You can read the toxicity analysis in the pdf.

Always ask for a MSDS and the specific CAS. The Grateful One's d-limo seems to be better.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

#4 Posted : 10/3/2015 9:37:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Airdog, request the msds from Dafna auto. It's the only way to take the guess work out of the equation.
They do not have them publicly available, so you will have to contact them by email.
Better still, use grateful'is source

TGO
#5 Posted : 10/4/2015 10:20:37 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Alright, as promised, here is the MSDS for d-Limonene from Blubonic Industries:

See attached pdf

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 10/5/2015 7:11:58 AM

The Grateful One wrote:
Alright, as promised, here is the MSDS for d-Limonene from Blubonic Industries:

See attached pdf

According to the CAS, this is dl-limo (138-86-3), not d-limo (5989-27-5). See Section 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS of the pdf.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

TGO
#7 Posted : 10/5/2015 5:07:57 PM

Welcoming committee

Hmm, well that is interesting. Forgive me, as I am no chemical expert, but what is the difference between dl-limonene and d-limonene? I searched for the CAS number here:

http://www.commonchemist...Detail.aspx?ref=138-86-3

It listed dl-limonene and limonene as well as many other synonyms for that number. A similar list was found here:

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=138-86-3

So is dl-limonene just a mixture of the d and l isomers of Limonene?

I think this may answer the question:

"Limonene, a colourless liquid abundant in the essential oils of pine and citrus trees and used as a lemonlike odorant in industrial and household products and as a chemical intermediate.

Limonene exists in two isomeric forms (compounds with the same molecular formula—in this case, C10H16—but with different structures), namely l-limonene, the isomer that rotates the plane of polarized light counterclockwise, and d-limonene, the isomer that causes rotation in the opposite direction. In the extraction of citrus juices d-limonene is obtained as a by-product, and it also occurs in caraway oil; l-limonene is present in pine needles and cones; dl-limonene, or dipentene, the mixture of equal amounts of the l- and d-isomers, is a component of turpentine.

Dipentene may be sulfurized to produce additives that improve the performance of lubricating oils under heavy loads; d-limonene is commercially converted to l-carvone, which has a caraway-seed flavour."

Source

Well whatever it is I've got that is being sold as D-limonene, it works very well. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Ufostrahlen!

Smile

Ufostrahlen
#8 Posted : 10/5/2015 9:33:28 PM

yw, The Grateful One.

EternalPeace
#9 Posted : 10/6/2015 1:44:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:

Hey TGO, that's the one I use! Seems legit.

TGO
#10 Posted : 10/6/2015 1:58:19 AM

Welcoming committee

EternalPeace wrote:
The Grateful One wrote:

Hey TGO, that's the one I use! Seems legit.

Yeah, it definitely is! I love working with it and I have for some time now. The only thing I dislike is the price, but I reuse my limonene from time to time so that doesn't matter much!

Smile

Hypernaut1111
#11 Posted : 8/10/2017 9:25:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Had to bring this thread back to life as I'm looking to find some d-limonene. I've found some sources but
I'm unsure which I need to get, does it have to be 100% food grade? Can I use industrial (pure grace)? or the essential oils like in the link?

Thanks in advance.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweet-O...0fffff87f%257Ciid%253A17

How about?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Limon...f9fffffb89%257Ciid%253A2

And...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-...f9fffffb89%257Ciid%253A3

MG Chemicals 433-1L 1 Li...ZMTHH
“The only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” - Alan Watts

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 8/12/2017 2:33:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I once purchased some orange oil and it was orange in colour. This means that it was an expressed oil rather than steam distilled and thus it contains impurities that would mess up extractions a bit. [It still worked for a cactus drytek, though.] So, if purchasing orange oil it's better to make sure it's distilled and not expressed. Lack of colour would be a useful indicator in this respect.

The sweet orange essential oil looks like an expensive way of buying impure limonene.

The orange oil terpenes look like they were at least steam distilled (and, incidentally, the listing contains a nice graphic of how to do it yourself) although they'll still be a mixture containing (the more reactive) myrcene and pinene.

Things sold as D-limonene or DL-limonene will (hopefully) be superior. Food grade is desirable as this gives more assurance that it will be free from harmful contaminants.

Limonene is a reactive solvent in that it slowly oxidises to carvone under extraction conditions and develops a spearmint/caraway odour. Carvone can react with primary amines and is a bit difficult to get rid of - your product will always carry a strange orangey/minty taste unless you work briskly while minimising contact with the air.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Levanah
#13 Posted : 8/16/2017 2:37:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey limonene friends out there Smile

I have some clear and colorless 95% D-Limonene at hand that's sold under the name "citric terpene". It doesn't have the usual orange smell but instead a nice lemon/citric smell...

I think it will do the job and I'll let you know in the future.

Anyone had d-limoene without orange smell, is it common?