We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Floating Tremolo Vs. Blocked Tremolo (Musical Opinions Wanted) Options

TGO
#1 Posted : 9/4/2015 8:29:52 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Hi guys! So I just picked up this bad boy yesterday! It produces a silky smooth sound with the power to melt faces! Twisted Evil

Anyway, I took off the show strings and am currently about to put on some new ones. This Fender Strat has a floating bridge/tremolo and I was planning on blocking the tremolo with a custom piece of wood (or anything else I can get my hands on that will do the trick)... Cool

So for all you guitar freaks out there, what is your preference when it comes to your bridge/tremolo setup?

I personally play a lot of music utilizing whole step bends and what not so the floating tremolo was not ideal because when you bend a higher string, any other strings that are resonating at that time will drop in pitch.

Also, feel free to post pics of your beautiful guitars (or tremolo setup) as well!

Love Love Love
TGO attached the following image(s):
fender strat jpeg.jpg (1,119kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
fender strat 2 jpeg.jpg (1,550kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 9/4/2015 9:25:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

When I was in my teens, had long hair and masturbated far too much, I loved my floating trem.

Note all above being past tense.

TGO
#3 Posted : 9/4/2015 10:03:30 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Laughing

So what did you do with your floating trem? Make modifications? Get a different guitar?

I've noticed that making modifications obviously makes a difference with the tension of the strings... I was winding my high E string a little too fast and carelessly and it popped/snapped. Hit me in the arm but still...hurt my pride a bit...Big grin

But I have spare strings on hand so it is no big deal.

Anywho...

Smile

arcologist
#4 Posted : 9/4/2015 10:31:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I prefer a fixed bridge - no tremolo - I play in lots of odd tunings and so it's not practical to be going from drop-A to drop-D or standard tuning with the same guitar, especially with a floating tremolo where the tension will be totally different.

soulfood
#5 Posted : 9/4/2015 10:45:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

The Grateful One wrote:
Laughing

So what did you do with your floating trem? Make modifications? Get a different guitar?

I actually left that guitar as it is and played it for many years. I'm a bit funny when it comes to modding things as I like to savour the original spirit. I have an acoustic I play a lot and a cheap beginners strat copy where the bridge is stuck down, but to this day I still really need to get myself a nice workhorse all purpose goto instrument.

TGO
#6 Posted : 9/4/2015 11:52:14 PM

Welcoming committee

soulfood wrote:
The Grateful One wrote:
Laughing

I actually left that guitar as it is and played it for many years. I'm a bit funny when it comes to modding things as I like to savour the original spirit. I have an acoustic I play a lot and a cheap beginners strat copy where the bridge is stuck down, but to this day I still really need to get myself a nice workhorse all purpose goto instrument.

Ah, I see! I am with you on the whole modification thing. I did not want my mods to be permanent so here is what I did:

I tightened the screws (pictured on the left...EDIT: I loosened the screws again to relieve some tension, seemed to work wonderfully) just a little bit to pull the bridge down. I then took some dimes and taped them together and stuck them in the gap. The tension in the strings are a bit tighter and the bridge does move very slightly (but that is what I was aiming for). The pitch does not noticeably change when bending a single note while the others resonate. So I may mess with it a bit more but for now it is working great!

Not to mention, these changes can be undone very easily. Simply take off the back plate, remove the dimes, and loosen the screws ever so slightly and viola! Back to factory/store setup!
TGO attached the following image(s):
Trem mod jpeg.jpg (2,131kb) downloaded 95 time(s).

TGO
#7 Posted : 9/5/2015 1:40:08 AM

Welcoming committee

arcologist wrote:
I prefer a fixed bridge - no tremolo - I play in lots of odd tunings and so it's not practical to be going from drop-A to drop-D or standard tuning with the same guitar, especially with a floating tremolo where the tension will be totally different.

I thought about this when deciding on what guitar to buy because I also like to play in altered tunings often. The strat I ended up with hit all my specifications except for the floating trem and was within my price range. It is my first higher end (price wise) guitar and I love it so far! Coupled with a line 6 spider IV 2x10 speakers, this guitar really has a lot to offer.

Laughing

I just realized this sounds like a review...Embarrased

But anyway, I basically turned it into a fixed/blocked tremolo as that suits my style of playing. But I can always go right back to floating if necessary.

Love

BeatHermit
#8 Posted : 9/5/2015 4:32:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Guitars are great !

I like your Strat ! Just stick a wood block in it if you don't like the tremolo , or get a hardtail bridge like a Hipshot if you fancy a conversion.

My guitar has a Bigsby style tremolo - really fun and floaty.
Only downside is tuning can get bit wonky, but that's the same for anything without locking tuners / bridge.

DeArmond M75T in Gold.

If it looks weird it's because I passed the image through Google's deep dream software so excuse the strange animals in the background - they're not really there.

BeatHermit attached the following image(s):
218592 - deep dream guitar.jpg (52kb) downloaded 78 time(s).

Lichen
#9 Posted : 9/5/2015 10:00:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a floating trem, I'm very happy with it - it holds its tune better than any guitar I've ever used. Downside, is that one must be very careful with how much pressure one applies to the strumming hand - like for palm muting - as it will make the strings ring sharp; I had to change how I palm muted, which was probably poor technique so it's probably not a bad.

The other point you made about whole step bends is also valid. I was naive when I first bought a guitar with a floating trem (it was my first guitar) and I asked the 'expert' at the store about this bending business and he matter of factually told me that its really a non-issue - that a situation will very rarely arrive in which I am bending on a fret and other strings are going to be ringing. Can you believe that?! As soon as I started fiddling around on a blues scale one day, I immediately realised this was going to be a problem.

That being said, I still absolutely love that guitar and its floating trem.

I bought an 8 string guitar (fixed bridge) further down the track and that's my main guitar these days, but if I ever want the glory of the floating trem, I will just change guitars.

Floating trem, floyd-rose style tremolo, certainly seem to divide people in their opinions. I think there is definately a place for them, but it is different style of playing. I don't think a fixed bridge or a floating trem can really be compared, they both have different functions and it really depends on your playing style.

Also, simply using the floating trem and forcing yourself to play different styles is definately not a bad thing. You may stop using whole step bends, and use dive-bombs instead!

I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

xa
#10 Posted : 9/5/2015 11:04:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

...i remember...and maybe i still have, a sort of spring that you put as central spring under the tremolo that can block the movement and you can unblock by a movement of the tremolo stick...mmm...maybe if i found it i can put a photo if you are interested.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

TGO
#11 Posted : 9/5/2015 8:03:36 PM

Welcoming committee

Lichen wrote:
I have a floating trem, I'm very happy with it - it holds its tune better than any guitar I've ever used. Downside, is that one must be very careful with how much pressure one applies to the strumming hand - like for palm muting - as it will make the strings ring sharp; I had to change how I palm muted, which was probably poor technique so it's probably not a bad.

The other point you made about whole step bends is also valid. I was naive when I first bought a guitar with a floating trem (it was my first guitar) and I asked the 'expert' at the store about this bending business and he matter of factually told me that its really a non-issue - that a situation will very rarely arrive in which I am bending on a fret and other strings are going to be ringing. Can you believe that?! As soon as I started fiddling around on a blues scale one day, I immediately realised this was going to be a problem.

That being said, I still absolutely love that guitar and its floating trem.

I bought an 8 string guitar (fixed bridge) further down the track and that's my main guitar these days, but if I ever want the glory of the floating trem, I will just change guitars.

Floating trem, floyd-rose style tremolo, certainly seem to divide people in their opinions. I think there is definately a place for them, but it is different style of playing. I don't think a fixed bridge or a floating trem can really be compared, they both have different functions and it really depends on your playing style.

Also, simply using the floating trem and forcing yourself to play different styles is definately not a bad thing. You may stop using whole step bends, and use dive-bombs instead!

One of my guitar heroes is, of course, David Gilmour! He is one of the masters of bending strings. In fact, I can't think of one solo of his where he doesn't use a whole step bend in there somewhere! So to imitate him, the floating trem has to be blocked for now. I love droning an open low E or D while practicing scales and solos (which include bends most of the time).

Allow the tremolo to float and it plays beautifully too! With it blocked the tension increased but I think I can make some minor adjustments and get it just right! I guess I'm more of a fixed bridge person but I am already learning a lot about this floating tremolo situation! Thank you for your thoughts!

TGO
#12 Posted : 9/5/2015 8:05:35 PM

Welcoming committee

BeatHermit wrote:
Guitars are great !

I like your Strat ! Just stick a wood block in it if you don't like the tremolo , or get a hardtail bridge like a Hipshot if you fancy a conversion.

My guitar has a Bigsby style tremolo - really fun and floaty.
Only downside is tuning can get bit wonky, but that's the same for anything without locking tuners / bridge.

DeArmond M75T in Gold.

If it looks weird it's because I passed the image through Google's deep dream software so excuse the strange animals in the background - they're not really there.

Guitars are great indeed! And thank you!

That picture is radical, btw! I love it!

Love Love Love

xa wrote:
...i remember...and maybe i still have, a sort of spring that you put as central spring under the tremolo that can block the movement and you can unblock by a movement of the tremolo stick...mmm...maybe if i found it i can put a photo if you are interested.

I am absolutely interested! If you find that pic, feel free to share it with us Xa!

Smile

Lichen
#13 Posted : 9/5/2015 8:20:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You're very welcome, The Grateful One.
I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

TGO
#14 Posted : 9/5/2015 8:58:22 PM

Welcoming committee

I had another thought about another alternative way to block the tremolo! Anyone here have any experience using a Tremolo-no?

It is a bit pricey ($50+) and a piece of wood or spare change produces a similar effect.

EDIT: Perhaps the "tremolo-no", is something similar to what you were describing, xa?

xa
#15 Posted : 9/6/2015 7:05:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...i didn't find yet this thing that i mention before...try to search in the net with this string "guitar tremolo spring stabilizer" i do it on yahoo and there's what i mention and also more...but it's the one with a spring and nuts...ah maybe i try to put an image..
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

xa
#16 Posted : 9/6/2015 7:07:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok this one, i had this but was for a floyd...i don't know for other trmolo:

TGO
#17 Posted : 9/6/2015 8:07:09 PM

Welcoming committee

Ah, okay I see now! It seems as though it would work in a similar fashion as the tremolo-no. How much does one of those cost, roughly?

xa
#18 Posted : 9/6/2015 8:57:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry The Grateful One, i don't know i buy it maybe 10 or more years ago...and don't use it...but if you search like the string in my previous post, you can find similar or exact solution...then look what is and ask for price...i use yahoo images for the photo and there are other solution.

(i don't know how to insert search engine lik but copy this and paste on the address field of your browser....) :

https://images.search.ya...s-002&hspart=mozilla

xa
#19 Posted : 9/6/2015 8:59:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yes whitout know this....click on the link :-) magic string-technologiessssss :-)

TGO
#20 Posted : 9/6/2015 9:26:43 PM

Welcoming committee

Very happy

Okay, I'll check it out! Thanks xa!

12NEXT