We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rhonda Patrick: Nutrigenomics, Epigenetics, and Stress Tolerance Options

#1 Posted : 7/25/2015 11:12:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

the Youtube Summary wrote:
Our genes influence the way we absorb and metabolize micronutrients. Nutrigenomics looks at the influence genetic variation has over micronutrient absorption/metabolism and the biological consequences of this dynamic relationship. Our diet also influences which of these genes are turned on or off! Emerging evidence in the field of epigenetics has demonstrated that not only can we change the expression of our own genes within our own lifetime; sometimes these changes are heritable and affect our children and grandchildren. In this talk we’ll be exploring the intersection between genetics, nutrition, and environment: how your diet, micronutrients, exercise, heat stress, and sleep can change the expression of your genes and how this has profound effects on the way your body functions and ages.

Rhonda Perciavalle Patrick, Ph.D. is an assistant scientist at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute working with Dr. Bruce Ames. She investigates the effects of micronutrient (vitamins and minerals) deficiencies on metabolism, inflammation, DNA damage, and aging in people. She also researches the role of vitamin D in brain function and dysfunction.

In addition to Rhonda’s active role as a researcher, she also functions as a science communicator for a broad lay audience via her web and video presence found at FoundMyFitness.com. She is passionate about disseminating health-related information in a way that the general public can easily understand. She is a frequent speaker and writer on topics ranging from general health and wellness, to diet and aging, to vitamins and their effects. It is Rhonda’s goal to challenge the status quo and encourage the wider public to think about health and longevity using a proactive, preventative approach.

Rhonda earned her Ph.D. in biomedical science from the University of Tennessee and performed her graduate research work at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. She also has a Bachelor’s of Science degree in biochemistry/chemistry from the University of California, San Diego. She has done extensive research on aging, cancer and nutrition, and metabolism

I first started listening to her various talks on the JRE podcast; one of the more fascinating people that he's had on. She also has her own podcast station called FoundMyFitnes. I highly suggest if these topics interest you that her explanations what whatnot are easily digestible and very fascinating.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/25/2015 11:16:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you also listen to the latest podcast with her on JRE? So interesting!

#3 Posted : 7/25/2015 11:26:09 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

endlessness wrote:
Did you also listen to the latest podcast with her on JRE? So interesting!

Yup! The cold shock therapy is really fascinating, along with the heat stress therapy. Nothing totally new in knowing that they would most likely benefits to certain degrees, but she broke down many of the benefits really nicely in that latest podcast.

I take cold showers often for the last 2 minutes or so. Even just after that one time of doing so, the way I felt afterwards and for the rest of the day was really great. Clarity of mind, focused, a reasonable boost in energy along with a really relaxed state of well being, and that was just one day.

Her older podcasts on JRE are fascinating too, especially her going into depth regarding MMA and head trauma associated with fighters. The details and explanations were really fascinating.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 7/25/2015 11:30:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah!

I also loved the whole thing about the gut bacteria. It's also great info and sets some pretty undeniable arguments against the whole 'alkaline diet' people: Healthy gut flora actually creates an acidic environment through lactate/lactic acid (hence the name lactobacilus). Also the idea that fermentation in the gut is bad, it's not, fermentable fibers are essential for a healthy gut.

I've never listened to her own podcast or videos though, thanks for linking I'll definitely check them out!

Grizzly Adams
#5 Posted : 8/20/2015 2:55:32 AM

Novice Apprentice of ENTHEON Wizardry

endlessness wrote:
Yeah!

I also loved the whole thing about the gut bacteria. It's also great info and sets some pretty undeniable arguments against the whole 'alkaline diet' people: Healthy gut flora actually creates an acidic environment through lactate/lactic acid (hence the name lactobacilus). Also the idea that fermentation in the gut is bad, it's not, fermentable fibers are essential for a healthy gut.

I've never listened to her own podcast or videos though, thanks for linking I'll definitely check them out!

Let my warn you. When she is by herself, she talks extremely fast and somewhat loud. If I had not already become such a fan of her with her visits on JRE, I would have been to turned off by it. So, when I do watch one of her videos, I pause and back up often, to take notes.
Sometimes a simple analogy is all you need to make things crystal clear. Smile - Akasha224

Cognitive Heart
#6 Posted : 8/20/2015 3:51:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I recall this podcast a little while ago and it definitely had me interested in how we can all further adapt and develop strategies for health preventive measures. Wink

My brother and I went for a cold shock dip in the near-by lake a few days after listening to the podcast. Man, always feels good to experience that feeling of energy after the initial 'shock.' Our water gets quite cold around here so we make it an occasional cool down. Cool
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

SpartanII
#7 Posted : 8/20/2015 3:28:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tattvamasi wrote:
Yup! The cold shock therapy is really fascinating, along with the heat stress therapy. Nothing totally new in knowing that they would most likely benefits to certain degrees, but she broke down many of the benefits really nicely in that latest podcast.

I take cold showers often for the last 2 minutes or so. Even just after that one time of doing so, the way I felt afterwards and for the rest of the day was really great. Clarity of mind, focused, a reasonable boost in energy along with a really relaxed state of well being, and that was just one day.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=26111

#8 Posted : 8/20/2015 11:34:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

SpartanII wrote:
Tattvamasi wrote:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=26111

Big grin

Swarupa
#9 Posted : 8/21/2015 5:27:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I haven't watched the video yet so can't comment on the rest but i love cold showers, especially during winter when the waters really cold, if i stay under for long enough i'll come out the shower so giddy it's bordering on delirium! I've also noticed a feeling of refreshment and relaxation carrying through into the day. I can see how hot/cold water therapy could help with bloodflow and 'toning the organs' as is often claimed, i'd love to do some ice lake dips in Scandanvia sometime. A word of caution, when putting the cold water over your head it can lead to a brain freeze that rivals the worst ice cream headache you've ever had!

I first came across cold water therapy due to wanting to minimize the amount of chlorine (and whatever else they use in the water) i absorb through my skin in the shower, after noticing how much my tap water smells of chemicals.

drfaust
#10 Posted : 8/22/2015 4:46:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks so much for this. I just finished my now weekly heat stress session in the steam room.
I can vouch for the wonderful effects. Unfortunately, in the summer, the showers are just not cold enough for me,

I'm prone to cold mountain streams, straight from the snow. I try to do twenty minutes at a time in the cold. It produces a tremendously blissful experience.

I spent a week this summer at a hotspring with a snowpack mountain stream cold dip. Bliss, bliss, bliss. twenty minutes in the hot, twenty minutes in the cold. and back and forth.

Alloklais
#11 Posted : 9/1/2015 3:50:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting topic. Cold shock therapy, like dipping into the mikvah - ritual cold bath- first thing in the morning? Took my first one in Safed, Israel (sort of the mystical seat of the Kabbalah traditions). It was built I think in the 1300s. Eastern Europe, I can imagine the shtetl men marching off to the woods through the snow at the break of dawn to cut a hole in the river ice: brrrrrrr. And American Indians' sweat lodge. All of them show committment beyond the morning shower. So the devout had incorporated such a daily spiritual practices for centuries. I think it would be an interesting survey to look at world spiritual practices and find other examples of what Rhonda Patrick is just now rediscovering. Smile

Regardless, a great reminder. Cold showers, here I come! Very happy
<--su ot gnoleb dronf ruoy llA-->