We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is this in danger of etiolating? Options

Nathaniel
#1 Posted : 7/29/2015 4:26:52 PM

Nathaniel

My one cactus on the right here has taken on a somewhat pointy shape whereas my other one remains more stout. I was wondering if this may be in danger of etiolating and what I should do about it? The pointier cactus seems to be growing more quickly so I wanted to make sure this won't soon become a problem.

Is this ok or is it possibly etiolating? What do I do about it?
You are me and I am you, I'll always be with you...

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Auxin
#2 Posted : 7/29/2015 7:23:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Increase light.
If the increase will be a substantial one then stop watering as you gradually increase the light to both reduce sun burn and reduce etiolation in the adjustment period.

Nathaniel
#3 Posted : 7/29/2015 7:49:04 PM

Nathaniel

Thanks! Thumbs up I will do just that.

Nathaniel
#4 Posted : 8/29/2015 7:15:26 PM

Nathaniel

Quick update, I wanted to get another opinion on this. The top picture is the cactus I was most concerned about etiolating, and I did as you said and increased light and stopped watering. However it seems to be pretty thin still, I dunno if I should water it or what. The bottom picture is my other cactus which seems to be growing somewhat thin but still looks better than the other. I gave it a little bit of water a few weeks ago as I was worried the roots would bake in the hot sun. It seems to be growing alright but I am not sure if it will thicken up.

Please help! I am still learning how to deal with these things. They have gotten plenty of sunlight but are growing in odd ways.

xram
#5 Posted : 8/29/2015 9:00:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it's getting enough light, give it water too. IME, you only want to back off watering when it's going into dormancy or coming out of it. When it's growing full on, I give it as much water, light, and food as it will take.

PS are those bridgesii from an auction seller? I have one that looks quite similar.

Nathaniel
#6 Posted : 8/30/2015 2:41:01 PM

Nathaniel

Thanks, I figured they would need some water. I gave them both a little bit of water this summer but I tried not to give them too much. I'll have to give them some more.

I PMed you.

xram
#7 Posted : 8/30/2015 8:41:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's mine, planted in May and rooted/started growing in June. It's narrowed a bit, but I feel that's generally to be expected given the difference in climate and space for roots. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong...
xram attached the following image(s):
bridgesii.jpg (1,896kb) downloaded 135 time(s).

Spanishfly
#8 Posted : 10/17/2015 3:16:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would say it is OK - the difference in colour shows fresh growth, which is not always the same diameter as earlier growth - and sometimes they can fill out in time anyway.
Life is a shit sandwich - the more bread you got, the less shit you eat.

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 10/19/2015 1:08:12 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

They'll appreciate a few feeds with half-strength organic tomato fertilizer next year, I'd say. I water my Trichs generously throughout the summer and mist them too. The grow amazingly quickly, I've literally run out of space for all the cuttings (in my own home, at least.)

IME - the etiolated cacti tend to fill out a bit, so long as they haven't switched to producing ultra-fine spines. Those parts stay skinny but the cacti switch back to normal growth when conditions have improved and they've cheered up a bit.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Nathaniel
#10 Posted : 10/21/2015 2:32:45 PM

Nathaniel

Thanks Thumbs up