We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Recrystalisation for dummys Options

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#1 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:27:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

AS a first timer to recrystalisation and freeze precipitation i was hoping someone could confirm a few things for me?

1: The idea is to warm your naptha ect. as much as possible and saturate your cystals with as little solution as possible in order to melt the crystals down? Around 45 degrees celcius or so i think...???

2: After placing in a freezer for between 24-48 hours, crystals will form on the side of the jar. Pour off the majority of the naptha into another jar, through a filter to collect any crystals. Break all the crystals away from the sides of the jar and swirl the remaining naptha to collect any that remain. Then strain through filter, collect crystals and dry under a fan....??? My question is - Do you also scrape the bottom of the jar, or is this just gunk that should be left there? Do crysals also form or stick to the bottom is what i'm asking i guess...??? Also i read somwhere on The Nexus, reports of ppl using ovens or crock pots to slowly cook any unwanted solvent ect out of their spice? Does this not kill the dmt? I would assume you would have to keep it below its melting point? Am i just confused? Hahahahah

Cheers
i am a compulsive liar with psycotic tendencies and nothing i say should be believed

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/8/2009 10:26:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

you are almost there Smile

The quantity of warm naphtha (around 45 degrees seems fine) is about 25ml per g of impure product you want to clean. One should leave the warm naphtha for a minute or two, swirling around so that the dmt dissolves, and on the bottom, a gunk most likely remains.. Pour off/pippette off the clean naphtha into another container, maybe add another 5ml of naphtha to gunk just to make sure you got all dmt, and then add to the rest. Only then do you put in the freezer.

As for how to retrieve the crystals from the freezer, it depends.. For some people, they take out from freezer, quickly scrape the crystals with the whole naphtha still inside, and then pour naphtha through coffee filter. Three issues that may come with this way is:
-Splashing around of naphtha and crystals while scraping (so dont be too rough)
- a lot of crystals that werent scraped after you poured off the naphtha (in this case, after pouring the naphtha, keep scraping and rubbing these crystals on top of the coffe filter or just on the sides of a plate.
- Crystals melting inside coffee filter (in this case, you will have to use some warm naphtha again to pick it up from the filter.... Using some sort of vacuum contraption to speed the filtering process diminishes the chance of dmt melting in the filter)

Or, one can just pour off all the naphtha, put the container upside down but with some support so that it is at an angle, with space for air to come in. Then put a fan next, blowing air in direction of the container. This way the crystals dry out and any remaining naphtha will drop off/evaporate. Sometimes people get crystals melting, but for SWIM this works...

you're gonna have to see what works for you.. Maybe dont do with all your stash at first, get the technique right and then its not so risky.

Good luck Smile

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#3 Posted : 7/8/2009 10:44:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks mate. Thats basically what SWIM did. The gunk left in jar before freezing was left on bottom, and the shellitle/dmt solution transferred to seperate jar in which it was to be frozen. A small amount of shellite was swirled through the wash jar to pick up any remaining traces of dmt and added to the main jar for freezing. SWIM's question is directed at after freezing, as far as gunk in the bottom. It appeared that there was crystals on the bottom of the jar after freezing and SWIM wasn't sure whether these were in fact crystals, or just more gunk carried through? Thanks for your comments endlessness...Very helpfulVery happy
i am a compulsive liar with psycotic tendencies and nothing i say should be believed

endlessness
#4 Posted : 7/8/2009 10:46:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ah true forgot this part.. well, after passing the solvent away from the gunk and into the fridge, then the gunk should be out.. the bottom of this freezer container should be crystals... Sometimes the bottom crystals are a bit less pure than the side crystals, more yellow, but its still good, dont throw them away. If they are too yellow or whatever, just recrystalize them again.

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#5 Posted : 7/8/2009 10:59:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks again for clearing up a few things i wasn't 110% sure on. I believed they were just all crystals because the gunk had been removed previously, so i kept them to scrape in another 24 hrs, and hopefully a few more crystals will form as well...thankyou!