We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Medicinal Mushrooms 🍄 Options

Swarupa
#1 Posted : 8/21/2015 4:35:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

In the past i never enjoyed eating mushrooms much, the slimy texture and smell could even be enough to make me gag but recently i've come to really appreciate them. At first i was eating them raw but i hear that in order to aid digestion and break down the chitin it's best to cook them thoroughly so i started broiling them, i usually tossed the water after cooking but last night i drank a cup and mush to my surprise it was so delicious and felt truly amazing to drink, this was a white button and shiitake mushroom tea.

I've read most of the information online about the claimed medicinal benefits (regulating the immune system, inflammation, cholesterol, cancer cell aptosis etc) but was wondering if any of you have used them yourself? Have you noticed any benefits? Any favorite mushrooms or cooking/preparation tips? I also wonder how well they would combine in a brew with some beloved psilocybes...

Having a search of the Nexus i was surprised to see no thread for medicinal mushrooms, only this chaga mushroom thread by Ginko and this thread on the medicinal qualities of psilocybes i made a while back.

Mush love ♥

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#2 Posted : 8/21/2015 5:24:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I've been really big on cordyceps sinensis mushrooms. This species grows mainly throughout the tibetan plateau, although other species can be found throughout Asia and other tropical climates. It's essentially a parasitic fungus, infecting a few different species of ghost moths in the high altitudes, the spores will infect the species of ghost moths and eventually they germinate and the mycelium grows, taking over the moths and killing and eventually mummifying them. It's very interesting to watch he process - there's videos all over youtube. Cordyceps sinensis is also referred to as a more common name of 'catepillar fungus'.

These have been used in traditional chinese medicine for centuries. There's alot of purported benefits of cordyceps - mainly cholesterol reduction, immune system stimulation, increased recovery times of respiratory ailments, liver fortification, and being a relatively strong adaptogen, resulting in increased energy, strength and stamina. Probably the most well known benefit of cordyceps though is increased cellular oxygen absorption - resulting in increases in stamina and cardio based exercise - that to me, was apparent from the first dose. I could workout significantly longer, keep a more constant pace and not become as winded as i normally would. I would take them before work alot of time years back, and I literally felt as if i had an extra gear throughout the day, able to have a significantly higher output as far as physical/mental exertion goes.

Here's some good publications on cordyceps sinensis:

** My dosage was ground up bulk cordyceps, 2g a day split into two 1 gram dosages - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3121254/

Swarupa
#3 Posted : 8/21/2015 5:43:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing Tatt that's a very unique looking mushroom, your description reminds me of a documentary i saw where the fungi took over the body of an ant then fruited out the top of its head!

Looks like it was a cordyceps...

I'll be sure to implement some cordyceps in the future, it'll be interesting to see if i notice any improved cardio performance. I'm currently going to explore fresh shiitake as they're available at the market, and will also be home cultivating some oysters. I'll be sure to head to some birch forests and try to find some fresh chaga growing too.

Jees
#4 Posted : 8/21/2015 6:00:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I take some Agaricus blazei Murill extract now and then, should do a capsule daily but forget it often. Just as precaution food additive, can't really notice improvement but perhaps it keeps me un-sick so it's hard to know the difference not taking it. I just believe in it and hap in a cap once and a while.

Metanoia
#5 Posted : 8/21/2015 7:02:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm a huge lover of fungi, and a chef Smile So I've prepared mushrooms almost every way you can think of.

I always keep the steeping water from rehydrating dried mushrooms. That is like pure gold, it's great to add to dishes to give umami flavor.

Maitake (the dancing mushroom) is one of my favorites. Very meaty flavor, pairs well with beef. Lots of umami. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stamets/maitake-mushroom_b_2908332.html

Clamshell mushroom same deal; goes well with meat.

Enoki I love to put in soups, they're crispy and hold up well.

The maitake I started eating to try to correct my blood-sugar levels. Through many years of abuse my body was a wee bit run down. I can't say for certain but after using these mushrooms for several months my glucose levels are way more normal than before. My doctor didn't know what to say when I told her about this mushroom Very happy

I enjoy all the health benefits from mushrooms along with the wonderful flavors. Although I suppose I approach it more from a chef's perspective Thumbs up

Cognitive Heart
#6 Posted : 8/21/2015 9:37:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medicinal mushrooms galore! Big grin

Currently, I have some dried cinnamon shiitake and psilocybe cubensis caps ready to be utilized. Very happy Also, I have been collecting local reishi ganoderma tsugue in the near-by hemlock forests, as well as coming across some beautiful, strange and mysterious unidentified ones.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.