We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Apostrophe-Quote-Parentheses Smiley Options

RAM
#1 Posted : 8/9/2015 9:34:22 PM

Hail the keys!

Many times when I am writing I use parentheses, and any time I try to end a quote "" or '' in the parentheses, this smiley appears: Pleased

Below are the examples:

" ) becomes "Pleased when next to each other

' ) becomes 'Pleased when next to each other

I have noticed this in some other people's posts too, and I feel like it has given the wrong impression on more than a few occasions. It's kind of like a smug face, and it hasn't gone too well with some points being made.

Is there a way to fix this so the face appears only when a semicolon is typed next to parentheses, which grammatically should not occur?
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

cyb
#2 Posted : 8/9/2015 9:52:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Just put a space after the bracket...done. Wink
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

RAM
#3 Posted : 8/9/2015 9:55:03 PM

Hail the keys!

cyb wrote:
Just put a space after the bracket...done. Wink

I know, when I go back to edit my posts that is what I have to do. But it just seems like a flaw because it is not grammatically correct, and the only intended way to get that smiley is supposed to be the use of a semicolon then a bracket.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

Ufostrahlen
#4 Posted : 8/10/2015 8:06:13 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Empty formating between the bracket and the quote works.

Code:
liek: "[b][/b]) or "[i][/i])

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.