We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
P. Harmala extract: HCl for Changa Options

NotTwo
#1 Posted : 7/31/2015 1:43:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm looking to make my first batch of Changa having read so much about it on this site. Smile

I have my carefully prepared spice, fairly high purity by the look of the lovely white crystals (some of them about 6mm in length btw). I also have some suitable soft tasting herb to put it onto, chosen from trying out various herbal cigarettes on sale. A friend has also given me some peganum harmala extract HCl.

I just want to get this one clear before I proceed.
I'm presuming I've got to convert the harmala:HCl to its base?
If so, can I simply do this by shaking it with excess warm sodium bicarb solution, letting the freebase settle to the bottom, drain off all liquid and dry it out on some blotter?

Let me know if this would be the right way to go about this.
Many thanks Very happy
NotTwo attached the following image(s):
C.jpg (60kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Auxin
#2 Posted : 7/31/2015 5:30:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You need something a bit stronger than bicarb. If you bake the bicarb in the oven for a bit or dissolve it in water and boil it well in the microwave it will convert in part or in full to sodium carbonate, and then it'll be strong enough.
Dissolve the base in water, and the rue.HCl in water before mixing them for easy and fast reaction.
Dont mix them hot, or some freebase may be dissolved in the water you pour off.

...and if you make too much boiled bicarb dont dump the extra. When its hot its great for making coffee stains soft enough to scrub out of coffee cups Laughing

NotTwo
#3 Posted : 8/1/2015 9:01:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Auxin wrote:
You need something a bit stronger than bicarb.

Oh I thought basically anything alkaline would neutralise the HCl component Crying or very sad

I could use lye and then wash the precipitate with weak bicarb solution after if that was a surer way to get the freebase. What do you reckon?

Auxin wrote:
...and if you make too much boiled bicarb dont dump the extra. When its hot its great for making coffee stains soft enough to scrub out of coffee cups Laughing

Great advice for coffee stains Very happy

In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

Auxin
#4 Posted : 8/2/2015 12:03:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When freebasing alkaloids you need to use a base thats stronger than the alkaloid base your trying to free.
Bicarb is strong enough to freebase harmine, but not very good for harmaline. That difference is the basis for a popular separation procedure.
Thoroughly boiled bicarb (somewhere from sodium sesquicarbonate to sodium carbonate), baked bicarb (sodium carbonate), or yes, lye will all be strong enough to get the harmaline precipitated too.
I wouldnt personally bother with lye, caustics are best reserved for when theyre really needed.

NotTwo
#5 Posted : 8/2/2015 8:48:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That great, Auxin. Thanks for the clear explanation Smile

Auxin wrote:
When freebasing alkaloids you need to use a base thats stronger than the alkaloid base your trying to free.
Bicarb is strong enough to freebase harmine, but not very good for harmaline. That difference is the basis for a popular separation procedure.
Thoroughly boiled bicarb (somewhere from sodium sesquicarbonate to sodium carbonate), baked bicarb (sodium carbonate), or yes, lye will all be strong enough to get the harmaline precipitated too.
I wouldnt personally bother with lye, caustics are best reserved for when theyre really needed.