We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
WARNING! NAPHTHA FLAMABILITY! =0 Options

Lumpy Nutz
#1 Posted : 8/1/2015 7:57:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP FOR NAPHTHA'S FLAMABILITY!

I just had a very frightening experience trying to warm Naphtha in a pot on a flame stove.. I put the flame on low and walked away for a moment and came back to the kitchen to find the pot completely blazing. I quickly grabbed the flaming pot and was able to get it outside before it engulfed everything. Threw it right into the grass cus it was hot as fuck, and the naphtha remained burning, charring a couple foot area of my lawn. Kept throwing water on it and eventually the flames stubbornly extinguished. VERY FUCKING SCARY SHIT.

NEVER WARM SOLVENTS ON A FLAME STOVE! I've done many extractions with no problems and gradually began overlooking safety precautions... and realized the hard way that naphtha vapors can cause a combustion if there is flame near.

Be safe. Wear goggles/gloves/etc. And NEVER overlook the power of these chemicals!

Peace.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

#2 Posted : 8/1/2015 8:01:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Lumpy Nutz wrote:
VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP FOR NAPHTHA'S FLAMABILITY!

I just had a very frightening experience trying to warm Naphtha in a pot on a flame stove.. I put the flame on low and walked away for a moment and came back to the kitchen to find the pot completely blazing. I quickly grabbed the flaming pot and was able to get it outside before it engulfed everything. Threw it right into the grass cus it was hot as fuck, and the naphtha remained burning, charring a couple foot area of my lawn. Kept throwing water on it and eventually the flames stubbornly extinguished. VERY FUCKING SCARY SHIT.

NEVER WARM SOLVENTS ON A FLAME STOVE! I've done many extractions with no problems and gradually began overlooking safety precautions... and realized the hard way that naphtha vapors can cause a combustion if there is flame near.

Be safe. Wear goggles/gloves/etc. And NEVER overlook the power of these chemicals!

Peace.

Try a hot water bath; much better option.

Lumpy Nutz
#3 Posted : 8/1/2015 8:39:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Did some research and found this post about heating Naphtha.

Got a much safer set up now!

Lumpy Nutz attached the following image(s):
NapPot.jpg (296kb) downloaded 320 time(s).

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 8/1/2015 10:24:24 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

NO!!!
Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop Stop

Please stop right now.

Please do not heat your naphtha on the stove at all. PERIOD.

Please do not do this!

This is not safe. You now have a sealed vessel (which will want to expand when heated) full of flammable liquid/gasses on top of an open flame.

If you really need to warm your naphtha, heat the water on the stove and add it to a warm water bath OFF of the stove.

We've had people blow themselves up when attempting similar things...if you like your eyebrows (and living) please do not proceed!
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Pharmer
#5 Posted : 8/1/2015 10:27:04 PM

ღஐ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~ஐღ

Boil some water and do a water bath like your double boiler system. No stove or heat element is needed.
Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions but it doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

Lumpy Nutz
#6 Posted : 8/1/2015 10:48:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes thank u great advise about boiling the water and warming the nap off the stove. This is very dangerous stuff and now that I've realized it first hand I will be tightening my safety standards greatly.
BTW the jar on the stove isnt sealed completely its got 4 holes poked in the top from a previous cube grow.. but still I agree its still not safe!
I will be doing the boiling first and add the nap container to it outside away from flamables to warm up.

Thanks for the info!

1ce
#7 Posted : 8/2/2015 4:47:35 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

You should never use an open flame period, for anything other than bending glass.

Heat water in the microwave, and heat naptha in that. Just drop in a thermometer.

But the thing that confuses me more than you nearly being on the 6 o'clock news is why you feel the need to heat the naptha in the first place. For one, it's going to fill the room with a foul smelling vapor, -your neighbors may take notice. When you add hot naptha to room temperature water, the naptha cools by many degrees negating your efforts. Mixing a sep funnel/glass jar with warm/hot naptha will only cause it to pressurize and spray hot solvent everywhere.

And finally, hot naptha will extract a lot of extra junk that doesn't particularly belong in your extract. Room temperature naptha does a swell job.

The ONLY time you should handle hot naptha in regards to preparing dmt freebase is when recrystallizing a crude extract. Warm the naptha, dissolve dmt, allos it to cool for a few hours in a sealed container, and set it in the fridge overnight.

There is no further advantage to heating naptha.

OpenEyeEagle
#8 Posted : 8/2/2015 7:46:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

How about using a slow cooker as a warm bath when needed? Perhaps aiming a small fan at it to prevent any fumes from collecting.

I've seen a piece of plastic wrap with a rubber band used to allow a seal without pressure building up catastrophically.

Hope that helps.

endlessness
#9 Posted : 8/2/2015 10:09:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As has been said, there is absolutely no need to warm naphtha with any sort of open fire nor electric equipment that possibly can spark. Either lab approved hotplates or as works perfectly well, boil some water, turn heat source off and just partially submerge the container with your naphtha in your recently-boiled water (aka warm water bath). This is enough heat to boil the naphtha even, and definitely enough for re-x or any extraction-related business, plus it's perfectly safe.

null24
#10 Posted : 8/2/2015 4:30:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Holy cow, did that post just happen?

I mean, we all make jokes about the stoner blowing up the double wide in the process of making BHO, but damn, OP, you just shattered my hypothesis about DMT being a promoter of intelligence.

Where's that damn face palm icon?!?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Swarupa
#11 Posted : 8/2/2015 4:37:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Shocked

Lumpy Nutz
#12 Posted : 8/2/2015 5:08:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

haha @ null24, i was indeed slightly inebriated when i made that unwise decision.. but i mean come on man u dont have to come off as a dick about it. we all learn from our mistakes. and this is a place to learn, right? dmt is a "promoter of intelligence" as u call it, and this mishap certainly promoted my value of safety so was a promoting experience. i have had MANY amazing and positive experiences through these substances btw.

and i was trying to warm it to put in my dmt bong to clean it.

Muskogee Herbman
#13 Posted : 8/2/2015 5:30:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lumpy Nutz wrote:
haha @ null24, i was indeed slightly inebriated when i made that unwise decision.. but i mean come on man u dont have to come off as a dick about it. we all learn from our mistakes. and this is a place to learn, right? dmt is a "promoter of intelligence" as u call it, and this mishap certainly promoted my value of safety so was a promoting experience. i have had MANY amazing and positive experiences through these substances btw.

If you had done proper research you would've known not to do this is why the attitude Lumpy.
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...action_Safety_Guidelines
HEALTH & SAFETY wrote:
NEVER evaporate or warm up a flammable solvent next to a fire source or equipment that might generate sparks. For warming up solvents, boil some water separately, turn off the fire/heat source and only then add the solvent to a container and submerge the bottom of the container in the recently warmed water. Have the container with the warming-up solvent opened or with a very loose top, otherwise pressure might be generated and it can explode
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

3rdI
#14 Posted : 8/2/2015 5:55:45 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Lumpy Nutz, you may also want to avoid juggling meat clevers, doing handstands on pint glasses, tightrope walking over blenders and unblocking the waste disposal system in your sink by hand.

stay safeThumbs up
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

wesker
#15 Posted : 8/3/2015 7:33:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

don't put those legos on your mouth. Big grin
"If I dont know you, you don´t exist."

endlessness
#16 Posted : 8/3/2015 12:09:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lol alright guys that's funny but I think he gets it now... We all make mistakes, some bigger some smaller, the important thing is he learned from it and won't repeat and wanted to share with others to prevent others from doing the same. That sounds like the right attitude to me. But yes please, LN, research more before doing these things.

null24
#17 Posted : 8/3/2015 3:43:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Lumpy Nutz wrote:

Laughing to hard to type...
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Anamnesia
#18 Posted : 8/3/2015 4:40:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is hilarious!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Genesis is Now, the Mind is Incarnate.

slewb
#19 Posted : 8/3/2015 6:09:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would imagine that a naptha fire would be like a grease fire in that throwing water on it would not only not help put out the fire, but there would be danger of splashing. Best thing to do (apart from following basic safety guidelines and not setting your naptha on fire in the first place) would be to try and smother it with something.

Pixar
#20 Posted : 8/3/2015 8:04:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
There is no further advantage to heating naptha.

I second 1ce on that, all taken into consideration it is much more practical to not heat the naphta or to only heat it slightly in a warm water bath.

The temperature of the whole solution will quickly balance itself anyway.

DCM is a good solvent in that you don't need to heat it (and shouldn't because of it's very low boiling point), smell, ability to dissolve way more alkaloids than naphta and ininflamibility .

12NEXT