We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
The Coleus Enigma Options

TOXSIN
#21 Posted : 5/2/2013 1:32:50 AM

Knowledge is power, at the price of losing the bliss of ignorance

I tried smoking a handful of dried blumei leaves once in a joint and got nothing that I couldn't consider placebo or just from lack of oxygen. :\ The debate continues.
Understand: Nature knows no EVIL, Nature knows no GOOD, people know these things, because we perceive these things, with the gift of senses given to us at birth. A good or bad experience is simply a bridge to a another existential time frame, so always live in the moment and make every one a positive moment!

Any and all posts or interactions are to be held as my fictional writings/short stories or dreams. I may even have some delirium setting in, I've never been tested for it. The only exception to this is the statement about nature above, I feel this is a fact!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Parshvik Chintan
#22 Posted : 5/2/2013 3:19:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ilex wrote:
Once I soaked a bunch of Coleus leaves into vodka, and had a shot of that. This was actually a strong experience, I kept phasing in and out of reality and was honestly past the point of walking, despite only consuming 1 oz of alcohol. Some synergy going on here?

have you considered any other forms of extraction, other than a vodka soak?

that way we can determine if it really is synergy with the ethanol, or if the vodka basically acted as a non-polar solvent.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

phyllode
#23 Posted : 5/3/2013 6:07:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad to see this thread progressing. Haven't had much net time lately. Thanks Coleus explorers!

I will try and upload a pic of the strain that worked for me.
It was similar colouring to the pic I've attached but had more rounded leaves. Not a pointy tip kind.
And thicker more succulent leaves than other strains I've seen.
I think this may be the key to activity.
phyllode attached the following image(s):
Solenostemon_scutellarioides_002.jpg (2,469kb) downloaded 414 time(s).

Ilex
#24 Posted : 5/5/2013 4:51:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
have you considered any other forms of extraction, other than a vodka soak?

that way we can determine if it really is synergy with the ethanol, or if the vodka basically acted as a non-polar solvent.

I haven't tried any other extractions, but it's likely that the alcohol acted as a better solvent than water assuming the actives in Coleus are terpenoids of some kind.

arimane
#25 Posted : 5/7/2013 9:08:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After reading The plants of the gods, at the very early stage of my psychedelic journey, I decided to try this plant.
I went to a shop and bought three C. Blumei. At first I tried smoking it (yakky!), nothing except throat pain (I hate smoking). Then I tried doing an acidic cook with water and lemon and drink it. Nothing. Maybe something, but it could easly be placebo.

I'm, like many, pretty sure it is a genetic and strain problem, not much a "personal" sensibility.
The ones I tried was bright red in the inside and green at the borders, is one of the first pics in this thread
Bad, bad english

twofourtwo
#26 Posted : 5/10/2013 2:13:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A couple of weeks ago, I informed after some Coleus at the local gardening centre (NL). They told me they were getting rare around these parts, there aren't too many suppliers left who will go through the trouble of growing them.
Also I was a couple of weeks early and I was told to come back around mother's day, so I'll have another try this weekend.

In a book I have at home, 'Ecodrugs' by Axel Willekens 1996, he describes the plant and its use although, at that time even less info was available. It was in a sub-section of the Salvia Divinorum paragraph (also a very obscure plant back then).
According to this writer, the leaves should be quid (quided ;sp?) or fresh leaves should be soaked in cold water and bruised. I believe the amount the writer mentions is about 50 - 100 leaves.

Nathanial.Dread
#27 Posted : 7/22/2013 5:19:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone know if the Painted Nettle, from Mexico (Coleus Blumei) is psychoactive? I have heard that there is some potential for using it as a dreaming herb, but nothing about the pharmacology that might make this possible.

Does anyone have any studies, or knowledge about this?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

SKA
#28 Posted : 7/22/2013 9:32:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What I read about Coleus Blumei was that the Mazatec people used this herb as a replacement for Salvia Divinorum as Salvia Divinorum use was outlawed by the spanish colonial authority there. (Mexico)

Needless to say I was interested in this Coleus Blumei when I read that.
However I failed to find out how they used Coleus (Did the Mazatec smoke it, Quid it or Drink tea made from it?)
& if the effects are in any way similair to that of salvia.

So unfortunaly that's all I know about Coleus Blumei.
Perhaps visit some Mazatec people, who still exist today, and ask them yourself.
They might not know the latin name Coleus Blumei, so perhaps show them pictures of
this plant and ask them if they recognise it as a herb/plant of spiritual significance.

Herbaldreams
#29 Posted : 7/24/2013 3:35:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A couple years ago I made a tea with 60 leaves if I remember correctly. It tasted horrible. I got a mild buzz with slight visual alteration (halos around lights and stuff like that). It lasted less than 2 hours. I remember thinking about making ayahuasca with it added in there, but I don't think I'd be able to stomach it. The experience was interesting, but it tasted so terrible I never tried that roa again.

I also tried smoking it. By itself it didn't do too much, but when I mixed some harmalas in a fat joint with it it got me high. It was a mildly trippy high that lasted for about 30-45 minutes (I'm not entirely certain on the exact times this was all done about three years ago). When I tried it again later that day it didn't work as well. I tried it again a couple days later then it worked again, so theres some kind of tolerance there.

I think more research needs to be done on this plant. It's not very potent on its own, but if someone could figure out a good way to extract whatever the active ingredient happens to be I'm sure it would be worthwhile.

I've never tried it but I bet it would make a good admixture for some changa.

nen888
#30 Posted : 7/24/2013 12:26:03 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..don't know where phyllode's gone (god bless her)

to help clarify some of the past few posts:
Coleus blumei = Solenostemon scutteloides = Plectranthus scutteloides (Lamiaceae)
all synonymous

but there are umpteen varieties..

PsilocybeChild
#31 Posted : 7/27/2013 8:50:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.forskolin.net/

I found this page interesting.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

nen888
#32 Posted : 7/27/2013 10:21:59 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

PsilocybeChild wrote:
http://www.forskolin.net/

I found this page interesting.

..yeah the genus plectranthus, and indeeed the whole Lamiaceae family, have some fascinating fairly unexplored terpinoids with pharmacological and psychopharmacological activity..a rich field of research...

Nathanial.Dread
#33 Posted : 7/4/2014 8:58:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found this report on Erowid. It sounds pretty entheogenic to me. It may just be that we've been playing with the wrong doses. This guy took a whole plant, put it in a blender and then used a french press to do a handful of extractions.

Quote:
Before I write this report, I would like to note that I have been taking around 1.2 g piracetam a day in conjunction with soya lecithin.

TIME: 0:00

I took a plant that I had, one of the most healthy as well, and said a quick prayer for it. I then proceeded to wash out all of the soil, and take just the plant with the roots to my sink. I de-stemmed the entire plant, even the leafs (took out the mid section) and left the roots and the loose leaf material. I was left with around 60 leaves and roots. I then put this into one coffee filter *just BARELY fit* and proceeded to brew an 8 cup load through. Once it was brewed I put it back in and rebrewed. and did that again and again and again for 5 total brews. The brew was now down to about 5 cups, and was about the color of coffee.

The nice thing about coleus tea: it is tasty. it is fragrant. it is calming just drinking it. Its got a very bold flavor to it, thats almost nutty and a little fruity. It would be enjoyable just having the flavor to brew. Its a great end of the day tea at any strength, however when I am drinking it for its effects rather than its flavor, I like to have it considerably strong.

time: 00:30

I am drinking the first cup now. I decided to go for a walk and listen to Self Titled - tortoise all the way through, since it had been a while. I was sitting on a bench at a local elementary school at about 11pm, smoking cigarettes, and just relaxing. I had brought a small thermos with me full of the tea.

time: 00:45

Coleus plays with light. Thats almost always been the initial effect me. Everything begins to look like an impressionist painting of itself. I hear absinthe shares a similar effect on vision/light. Everything has a shimmering/reflection on the lake effect added to it, and becomes played out on itself just a tad.

I begin to gain a heavy appreciation for the street running next to the school. This street was made out of dirt and rocks (I live in a sort of small town sort of out in the middle of nowhere) until about 5 years ago, when they re-modeled the school. Few cars drive on this road. It was raining slightly a few hours before, and this causes the road to just shimmer in its virgin beauty. All of the lights loose brightness and gain something else, I cannot quite describe it, but god does coleus make me feel in love with everything....Coleus is truly the plant of love. Salvia always makes me feel taken back. Just bewildered by everything, and theres always a chance of having a horrible time with it, and ending up in a worse mood than before. Datura shares a few traits when smoked with coleus, but the negative side effects always overpower the positive ones. Coleus is subtle and beautiful, and truly speaks to the undercurrent of light and love that the entire world is pulsing with.

Time: 1:00

I realize that my ipod has died. It had probably been dead for around 15 minutes. I don't really care. I wasn't enjoying the music much anyways. I had been enjoying the feeling of the wet bench against my legs and the sound of the crickets. I begin to think about my life in general. The tea has made me removed from myself almost completely. Most times this amount of plant material is not this intense, if you could even call coleus intense in any respect. Maybe adding the root to the brew helped punch it up a little bit. My thoughts aren't flowing. They feel non existant. How long have I been sitting here? how do I feel about that house?

Time: 1:15

I finish my last cup of tea. I am the most blissful mood you can ever imagine. I fear I might just cum my pants walking home from the school (god forbid...) Nothing external or internal seems to matter right now though. I feel as if my core essence, my core being, my core light, has been stripped raw and is left in a plain of darkness illuminating the emptiness around me. It should be noted with that last statement that coleus is never intense, it just wraps its arms around everything. Adds a nice little touch to everything in my life.

I notice I am stumbling a bit, probably due to the fact that the strong brew has made me slightly sleepy. I begin to walk home. I feel strongly connected with the path that I took to get here. I can almost taste the heaviness of my footsteps leading to this place, and I can almost see them. Almost touch them. I must have been so uptight before. Why the worry? Should life be so intense that I have to leave a metaphysical skid mark wherever I go?

Of course not. No one should. Sometimes we get wrapped up in things and thats okay, but its important to never loose awareness of the undercurrent. There IS a force at work at here. It may not be intelligent, but it will be forever omnipresent. I feel extremely content with the realization that no matter what happens, love will prevail.

time: 1:30

This is the hour of our lives. All things flow. All things mesh. The coleus has not had too much effect on my body, other than making me slightly tired and sleepy. The mind is where it has hit. I cannot imagine how much work it would have taken to put everything where it is right now. So much fucking work. I wish I could appreciate just the random beauty that is going on around me, for just one second, in its entirety. I think if I did that, I just might die.

time: 1:45

I wake up on the couch. The tv is off and an empty cup is sitting in front of me. Guess I dozed off. I realize that the coleus wanted me to sleep, and was trying to show me something in my dreams. I fall back asleep quickly.

Time: -----

I remember almost nothing from my dreams, although I do remember it being highly natural in feel. Maybe I was on a mountain - I think maybe? Oh well.

The night that I experienced left me with an incredibly glowing mood for at least a week afterwards. I'm not sure if it has ever completely faded. Something about this 'trip' brought me so much closer to my own existence. I do not think that it was the trip that changed me. I think that the trip was just a vehicle to bring me to something higher and more complete, and something that is not chemically induced, which I why I think that it never really faded, and I don't think it ever will.

All in all, this was a great way to say my good byes to a plant. Coleus has always loved me. Always held me. Always cared for me when I needed him most (yes, coleus is a male). I will probably always care for at least one coleus plant, seeing as he has given me so much love and warmth I could never repay him even if I grew him and propagated him amoung friends for the rest of my life.

And after all why should it all be about the plant. I should pay my respects more to the undercurrent of love than the method with which I discovered it. I hope that I never forget what I learned that night.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Cognitive Heart
#34 Posted : 7/4/2014 9:41:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Coleus is also known as 'Manto de la Virgen' and 'El Ahijado.' Salvia divinorum is associated with the virgin mary. Connection right there.

Important and sacred history, usage and discovery of coleus here:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=39&z=5

Interesting and insightful Erowid discussions/methods on coleus here:

https://www.erowid.org/plants/coleus/coleus_info1.shtml

It's fascinating they relate coleus to a male entity whereas salvia is associated and known to be alien/gaia. These two plants may be sacredly interconnected.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Wyald
#35 Posted : 7/31/2015 1:51:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bump.
Open your mind and expand your conscious.

downwardsfromzero
#36 Posted : 12/18/2015 4:47:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Missed this bump as I was away on my usual summer jaunts. Lately I've been reviewing the entirety of the 'Other Entheogens' subforum...

I've a little experience with 'Coleus' and have been growing it off and on for years.

Ilex wrote:
One other thing - sometimes when chewing leaves before bed, I noticed an enhancement of dreaming. This plant could potentially be an oneirogen.

One story that comes to mind sort of backs this up. Years ago I had some Coleus growing on my bedroom windowsill. One night I suddenly woke up and about ten seconds later I heard a leaf drop off one of my Coleus plants. This aroused my curiosity so I got up and ate the fallen leaf, chewing it thoroughly. Shortly afterwards I fell asleep and proceeded to have a very vivid dream, the nearest to lucid I'd had in a long time (or since).

Another time I smoked some dried Coleus leaves with a small amount of Leonotis leonurus flower and a bizarre and inexplicable mental state ensued whereby everything somehow looked different while simultaneously looking exactly the same Confused A friend who shared the smoke also confirmed this curious effect, which came on quickly (like Salvia...) with a sort of head rush. It was like being transported to another universe which is virtually indistinguishable from the previous one, only the transition being noticed Confused Confused

Both of these times involved a Coleus variety with pale yellow/green variegation, rounded leaf tips and scalloped margins. The leaves were ever so slightly fleshy.

Testing a variety with dark purple/green variegation and pointed leaf tips as a tea made with fifty leaves produced only a slight antidepressant effect which could be the result of extra hydration from about a litre of water, plus maybe a few flavonoids. Didn't taste too bad to me, but I can happily ingest some quite foul tasting things, according to many other people.

My view is: variable activity, potentially interesting. We really need to zero in on this, as it does have potential. Systematic precision in comparison of plant characteristics will be particularly important.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Wyald
#37 Posted : 12/24/2015 8:22:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is definitely something to coleus, I think we really need to put more effort into uncovering the mystery of this plant.

Do you have any pictures of the plant you got significant effects from?

I am trying to track down a cutting from a "coleus" plant from its native habitat through pen pal websites. If i have any luck I'll let you guys know.
Open your mind and expand your conscious.

downwardsfromzero
#38 Posted : 12/25/2015 11:18:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Wyald wrote:
Do you have any pictures of the plant you got significant effects from?

Sadly, no. But I clearly remember the smaller, rounded leaves with scalloped edges and pale yellow/pale green variegated colouration.

I have another specimen now growing from seed with a similar colour but the leaf tips are much more pointed. The variability of this species is in itself quite fascinating!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PREV12