We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Nasa is 'very, very' close to finding a planet similar to Earth Options

Koornut
#41 Posted : 7/30/2015 11:24:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DeltaSpice wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
I would question the ability of the team involved to predict an ideal planetary situation for life.

Isn't Earth the ideal planetary situation for life?

I think so, yes.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Nathanial.Dread
#42 Posted : 7/31/2015 1:10:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Hmm, I can't get the full text article, and have never heard of Radin, so I'll reserve judgement, but I have to say, I'm very, very, skeptical.

You're absolutely right, open-minded skepticism is the way.

Quote:
Even IF psi has been demonstrated in an MRI, we have no way of knowing whether the aliens have a nervous system that is enough like ours to receive and respond to our 'psi signals.' We also don't know how psi signals might propagate, how quickly they travel, or how precise we can get it (a few meters is one thing, tens of thousands of light years is another).

In contrast, if you can count above 2, you have integers.

Maybe their understanding of math is the same, but they just don't look in the sky with radio-telescopes since they only rely on "psi-communication"... And who says they have a nervous system based on proteins/carbon/DNA like us? It's not unthinkable.

Eh, you can play the "what-if" game forever. What if the aliens are arsenic-based, live miles under the surface of their planet, are blind, have no concept of numbers, and communicate through psychic telepathy? Sure, that's possible, but are we likely to find that civilization?

I never claimed that sending integer patterns via electromagnetic signals would work in every conceivable circumstance, just that, given what we know about the universe, it's more likely to work than any other option.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Bancopuma
#43 Posted : 9/8/2016 2:20:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought this may be of interest to some peeps here...reports of a potentially Earth like planet orbiting our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, in its goldilocks zone...notable for being "just" 4.2 lightyears away, but with the development of planned next generation technologies, this may actually be a planet we can send probes to have a close look.

https://www.newscientist...ook#link_time=1472059036

NotTwo
#44 Posted : 9/8/2016 2:34:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought this may be of interest to some peeps here...reports of a potentially Earth like planet orbiting our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, in its goldilocks zone...notable for being "just" 4.2 lightyears away, but with the development of planned next generation technologies, this may actually be a planet we can send probes to have a close look.

So Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light years away
4.2 x 9,461,000,000,000 = 39,736,000,000,000 km
The Juno spaceship that just arrived at Jupiter was traveling at 265,000 km/h
39,736,000,000,000 / 265,000 = 149,947,924 hours = 6,247,830 days = 17,117 years

Anyone any idea if there are any plans for sub light spacecraft in the offing?
Big grin

In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

Bancopuma
#45 Posted : 9/8/2016 3:13:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

NotTwo, this article should be of interest...

https://www.theguardian....launch-100m-star-voyage

So yes such plans are afoot, involving tiny featherweight spacecraft, very powerful lasers, and a 20% light speed aim. If this was achieved, could mean a little over a 20 year one way trip (not accounting for time needed to attain that speed), so something potentially possible within our lifetimes, if said plan is feasible.

NotTwo
#46 Posted : 9/8/2016 4:07:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma wrote:
NotTwo, this article should be of interest...

https://www.theguardian....launch-100m-star-voyage

So yes such plans are afoot, involving tiny featherweight spacecraft, very powerful lasers, and a 20% light speed aim. If this was achieved, could mean a little over a 20 year one way trip (not accounting for time needed to attain that speed), so something potentially possible within our lifetimes, if said plan is feasible.

Thanks, Bancopuma. Interesting! I wonder what the idea is because something of that size couldn't send back images or much of any significance. Also with no way of decelerating at the other end it's just going to go flying past unless it attempts an orbit of the star at 4 trillion km/h.
In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

PREV123