We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
ACRB Cold Water Extraction Options

Dr. Illusion
#1 Posted : 7/23/2015 2:29:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've done several searches on this, but cannot seem to find anything. Every time I extract from ACRB, I end up with goo. Nothing wrong with this, since I dose orally and the goo packs a hell of a punch.

My only issue with goo is the difficulty in weighing doses and handling it in general. So I had an idea which I am now testing out.

I put a pound of ACRB which has been in the freezer for a few weeks into a large container, then poured acidified water over it until it just covered the bark. I'm gonna let it sit for a few days, pull some of the water, basify it and extract normally. No heat, which I'm hoping will pull less plant fats.

Has anyone tried this? Again, I searched but couldn't find any info.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Metanoia
#2 Posted : 7/23/2015 3:58:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I plan on doing my next extraction of ACRB at room temperature for the same reason. I can get nice crystals by doing a mini A/B after the initial pulls but I always end up with at least a little waxy goo. I have always done heated pulls because I tend to agitate quite vigorously and the heat helps the solvent separate quicker.

But if I understand correctly, you won't even do the hot water baths during the acidification stage? I planned on doing those hot water baths but once I base it then allow everything to be at room temp. during my pulls. I feel that without that heat during the acidification stage you might not get enough of the goodies out of the plant material. I don't remove the bark at all during the extraction (a la Cyb's tek) but if you did I would think that you would need to do at least two or three acid soaks at room temp. to pull the actives.

Dr. Illusion
#3 Posted : 7/23/2015 8:34:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't intend to use heat at any point. But I'm in no hurry. I'll be letting the bark soak in the acid water for several days. I'm not sure how it will all work out, but I will be posting my results either way.

slewb
#4 Posted : 7/23/2015 11:05:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think I tried something similar a while back. If i remember right after letting all my water pulls sit for a while in a bottle they got mold and I had to throw it out. So maybe boil each water pull after you remove it from the bark. Just a suggestion.

hdubyah
#5 Posted : 7/23/2015 6:24:58 PM
T'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe...

You could try something like a dual solvent recrystallization afterwards. Never done a dual solvent xtalization with DMT (or a freebase for that matter), but it's my preferred method with other compounds. It takes some finesse but you won't screw up your product, just evap everything and you'll get it all back. Nice, big xtals, but you need to let it sit for a day or two afterwards.

Take your quantity of freebase and put it in a petri dish or another container you can scrape out easily and add dry acetone dropwise just until it all dissolves and you have a clear solution. You'll need to select a second solvent in which DMT freebase is only slightly soluble (but not completely insoluble). You'll want to heat your DMT saturated acetone to just under the boiling point of your most volatile solvent. Once at temperature, add your second solvent DROPWISE until DMT falls out of solution (it gets cloudy), then add acetone dropwise and stir after each drop just until it becomes clear again. You are making a super saturated acetone solution. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature, then cover with cellophane, move to fridge until it reaches fridge temp, then move to freezer and let it sit overnight. At higher temperatures, acetone is more soluble. By saturating it to the max, you are filling it with more DMT than it can hold at room temperature, so when it cools, DMT crystals will crash out of solution and provide surfaces that will aid in the formation of additional crystals as it cools. Freezing will force all DMT out of solution and you can pour off your excess solvent, which theoretically should only contain impurities. The longer you let it sit, the bigger your crystals should get.

NOTE: I haven't tried this with DMT so it's just theory, but it works well with many other crystalline solids and I don't see why it would be any different here. Another thing, this will work better with main solvent in which freebase is not perfectly soluable at room temperature, requiring heat to achieve full solubility, and a second solvent in which freebase is only slightly soluable even at higher temperature.

brilliantlydim
#6 Posted : 7/23/2015 9:05:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Keep us posted how it goes.

I usually do a backsalt stage with ACRB, and I end up with crystals and goo. Usually more goo than crystals by weight.

Dr. Illusion
#7 Posted : 7/24/2015 8:23:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just did my 1st pull and it looks great. Had around 1000ml of acidified water, reduced it down to around 150ml, basified, tossed in 25ml or so of naptha. Also some salt. The naptha was cloudy as hell when I pulled it out of the solution. Precipitated out some beautiful crystals, just waiting to see if they melt into goo.

Metanoia
#8 Posted : 7/24/2015 7:52:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr. Illusion wrote:
Had around 1000ml of acidified water, reduced it down to around 150ml...

But you said no heat... Big grin Just teasing Wink

Sounds like this could be a good method to reduce the amount of goo from ACRB extractions.

Dr. Illusion
#9 Posted : 7/25/2015 6:15:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

My 1st pull had a LOT of spice in it. More than I figured, from a CWE. Made beautiful crystals, but I think I rushed it and took it out of freezer before all the naptha had drained off and ended up with goo, again.

How long do you guys leave upside down in freezer/fridge after the crystals have precipitated? Think I only let it drain upside down for about an hour.

brilliantlydim
#10 Posted : 7/25/2015 7:49:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think with ACRB you are usually going to get some goo.

Metanoia
#11 Posted : 7/26/2015 1:03:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I usually only leave it for about half an hour in the freezer on its side/upside down. Depending on where you live the humidity could be effecting it...

The only way I've reliably gotten crystals was from doing a mini A/B to clean it up. I was going to try the dry ice method to separate the NMT out, leaving just the crystals. Never got around to it though.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=484402#post484402

Dr. Illusion
#12 Posted : 7/30/2015 6:53:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, I was more patient with my latest cold water extraction. Left the naptha in freezer for 24 hours, poured the excess off the crystals, turned the jar full of crystals upside down in freezer for another 24 hours. Put under a fan and got a high yield of solid crystal that didn't melt at room temp.

So the cold water method works great. No oil/goo to speak of.

Then I messed up big time. Was doing a re-x (mainly to get the DMT out of half-pint mason jar and onto flat surface) and bottom of jar broke away from rest of jar and spilled all my product into pot of hot water.

It sucks that I lost most of it, but I have more than I need anyway and I'm really just refining my process. Just bad luck, sometimes.

hdubyah
#13 Posted : 7/30/2015 9:20:48 PM
T'was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe...

Ah, that's rotten luck man, I'd suggest a different container for freeze precip/evap, pyrex or anchor glass to avoid damage due to swings in temperature. Thanks for sharing your results though, very nice to see that a full CWE can turn out stable crystals. Once finances permit I'll probably give this run a shot with a couple hundred grams of MHRB.

Dr. Illusion
#14 Posted : 7/31/2015 12:12:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I was really happy with the crystals. Dissapointed that I lost it all during the re-x.

I've been using half-pint mason jars for freeze precip, but it's a major pain getting the crystals out. I've been accustomed to getting DMT goo, which I wash out with hot lemom juice and throw into a "dmt lemonade jar" in the fridge. But I have no idea how much I'm doing when I dose orally. I measure by shot glass.

So, now that I've found a way to get measurable, solid crystals....what to use for freeze precip and evap, since jars are a pain to work with?