We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How to grow sclerotia, "Magic Truffles" or "Philosopher's Stones" Options

cruetmixer
#1 Posted : 6/7/2015 3:30:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please do not abuse this information.

There is a lack of info on growing sclerotia here at the Nexus so I'd like to fix that.

What the heck is sclerotia you ask? It's a mycelial growth that this species produces, it is how food is stored until conditions are favorable for fruiting. Sclerotia looks nothing at all like a mushroom, it resembles a nut.

In my opinion growing them is easier than growing mushrooms. If you have a good sterile technique but lack the space, cannot provide the level of care required or lack the proper environment to grow mushrooms... this is for you.

What do you need to grow them?

Clean spores from the type of sclerotia forming species you want to grow. I use a spore syringe in this tek. You can make your own syringes with a clean print but I won't go into that here.

A pressure cooker (you must have one, no way around this, period.)
Quart jars (Mason/Ball jars work great but you can use what you have available. Pint jars are too small.)
Tyvek (priority mail envelope works great)
grass seed** (you can also use other materials but this is what will be used here.)
** Make sure you do not get a coated grass seed or one that is bright green and treated with chemicals ok?**
Water (tap water is fine)
Coffee and a coffee maker (yep, regular cup a joe, a percolator, pot with water and coffee grounds and a clean stocking if all else fails)
A nail or drill with 3/16" bit to make two holes in the lids.
Silicone, RTV sealant, micropore tape or regular scotch tape if you have nothing else.
Alcohol (rubbing alcohol, moonshine, vodka... either is fine, lol!)
Lighter (we actually will need fire for some of this.)
Clean paper towels or a clean dust free cloth.
Measuring cup
Sieve or collander tight enough to hold the grass seed.
A spoon that will fit inside your jars.
Oven mittens or a clean shirt.
Patience

Making lids is pretty generic, you can search this if my explanation confuses you.

The night before you want to begin this go ahead and make your lids. It take a few hours for the silicone or RTV to dry and I let mine "cure" overnight. Drill or otherwise make two holes in each lid, go from the top side down if you are using a nail or awl otherwise you will have edges sticking up that could tear the tyvek. Cover one hole with RTV (or silicone) on the front and back - This is your injection port, the other is left open for gas exchange.

Cut your tyvek into circles that will fit your lids and put a spot of silicone on it as well. Note - You want these spots on the lid and the tyvek to line up. Leave all of this to dry overnight.

This is a representation of what you want to end up with.

Ok on to the next part.

We need to make our jars now so they can soak for at least 12 hours. This is so endospores and other things can germinate and be vulnerable to heat when we pressure cook and sterilize the seeds. This step helps to prevent contamination as well as hydrate the seeds.

Wash your jars out with soap and rinse well, they need to be clean and dry. Wash your hands, no need to be super clean here as everything we do will be sterilized later...but be as clean as possible.

Make a pot of coffee, yes seriously make a pot of coffee the same strength you would drink.

Get your quart jar and pour it no more than half full of seed. It will swell up some so we have to leave room for that.

I don't have a picture of this, next time I'll take one.

Pour this from your jar into a sieve and wash it. When you think it is clean enough wash it one more time. If there is anything weird in there, glass, rocks, sticks, Elvis... remove it unless you want to eat it. Put your cleaned and inspected wet grass seed back in the jar. A spoon works well for this part.

Take an empty quart mason jar and fill it half full of coffee, fill the rest with regular tap water. Take your watered down coffee and pour into into the jar with your clean grass seed, you want to cover the grass seed entirely. (Some of it will float, don't worry about that it will sink eventually.) Put a regular lid on, one without holes and shake it. Go put it somewhere for 12 hours and relax. Your done for a little while.

When the jars have sat for at least 12 hours you can drain off the excess coffee water. How I do it is crack the lid loose a little bit, turn it upside down and let the coffee water run out. If you open t too much grass seed is going to come out with the water.

When it stops flowing out and begins to drip shake it down a few times to get even more water out. Do that a few more times to get all of the excess off. You don't want it too wet.

Put your lids with the holes and tyvek on now, make sure there are no seeds in the threads.

Tighten them and then loosen the lid back a half turn or so. I read this was to keep the jars from exploding in your cooker. They have a hole in the top already though so how could they possibly explode? I do it anyways because hot broken glass doesn't sound like fun to me. Cover the top of the jars with tin foil.

Stop I'm not going into detail on how to use a pressure cooker, read the manual that came with it, seriously, these things can explode! How someone managed to make that happen I do not know but they did it. Stop

Your entire domicile will smell like rye bread or grain cooking. You want to cook at least 90 minutes from the time the gauge reads 15 PSI or your wobbler dances about. After that turn the heat off and let it sit for an hour or so until you can safely open yours.

Put on your oven mittens now and tighten the lids on the jars. They are real hot so be careful ok? You will notice that the bottom is really dark and wet looking compared to the top seeds. This is normal. Shake the jars until the wet and drier seeds are spread evenly and to avoid clumps. Go set them somewhere to cool completely. You can shake them as they cool if you want. Leave the foil on while they cool. I wait 12 hours to let the seeds get uniform moisture content and cool completely.

We are ready to move everything to a clean environment so we can inject spores into the cool, moist, sterile grass seed now. Shake them up real good one last time.

You need to be as clean as possible from this point forward. If you have a small room with no air flow use it. A still air box can be used if you have one. You can look up how to make one, it is not hard or expensive. Also read about sterile technique.

Stop BE CLEAN AND WORK FAST Stop !! You, your clothes, your work space and everything you touch or that will touch your jars should be clean now. You need to clean and wipe down with alcohol everything, even the outside of the bottle of alcohol, the syringe and the outside of your jars too. Wash your hands well. Dry your hands with clean paper towels.
Have everything laid out so you can get to what you need easily.

Get a cloth and pour your alcohol on it. Wipe your hands down with the alcohol. Put on gloves if you have them and wipe them with alcohol as well. Shake the syringe up very well to break up any clumps of spores. Remove the seal and screw on the needle. Do not remove the safety cover over the needle yet. You want to keep the needle covered until you sterilize it. (It is supposed to be sterile but we're not going to trust that it is. Everything is contaminated unless we sterilize it ourselves. If you keep this mindset you will have no contaminates.)

With clean hands remove the foil from the jar you are working with. Get a clean cloth and soak it with alcohol, wipe the lid of your jar and the spot of silicone or RTV sealant.

Stop FIRE WARNING - ALCOHOL IS FLAMMABLE - DO NOT SET YOURSELF OR YOUR ALCOHOL SOAKED PAPER TOWELS AND CLOTHS ON FIRE. Stop Once something is sterile the longer it is exposed to non-sterile air it is being contaminated so work fast. Do not stab yourself with the needle either that thing is seriously sharp and will go through your finger without issue or much effort at all.

Remove the needle cover and with lighter or torch heat the needle up red hot, it must glow red hot. Do not let it touch anything from this point forward, it is now sterile.

Squirt a drop of liquid through it to cool the needle, it will sizzle. It's is cool enough to use now.

Put the needle through the RTV/ silicone on the tyvek and into the jar (if you didn't do this step this is where you would put tape over the hole you just made in the tyvek.)

Inject 1cc -1.5cc spore solution into your jar. Remove the syringe. Roll the seeds around to spread the spores over the seeds. Do not shake the jar, you don't want to chance getting the tyvek wet so roll it.

Follow this same protcol with each jar. Heat the needle red hot again before you inject the next jar.

You are done. Easy wasn't it?

Now all you have to do is be patient.

Place these jars in a dark room in a temperature controlled area (70F-80F is fine). In 6 weeks or so you will have stones you can harvest. This is about the same amount of time it takes to grow mushrooms. Stones get stronger and larger with time and you can leave them for several months and I have heard up to 9 months.

Your first week of growth should be similar to this photo.

The second and third week similar to this photo. (You should be seeing stones by the middle of the third week or so depending on your temperatures.)

This jar is real close to 30 days old and you can see the aggressive mycelial growth, stones are even growing at the top of the jar on the glass. This also why you do not shake your jars after you innocualte. The almond colored spots are sclerotia.

Writing this was a lot of work and I tried hard to make this as easy and understandable as I could!! If I missed something, misspelled something or it just doesn't make sense and I need to clarify a step let me know.

More pics to come soon.

Stay tuned for dosing, storage and other info.
Insert a profound and life-altering statement here for others to read.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

nemesauce
#2 Posted : 6/7/2015 4:45:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I might have to try this in fall, I can see them coated in chocolate just in time for ChristmasSmile

Thanks for the write up cruetmixer!

EternalPeace
#3 Posted : 6/30/2015 2:59:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for contributing to our sclerotia information base! I am also focused mainly on sclerotia at the moment. Pretty easy stuff.

Things I do differently:
1. Use synthetic filter disks. These things are awesome.
2. Use 60/40 rye berries and oats. Kind of like a mixed slow/fast carb combo.
3. First I create a master grain jar, then grain-to-grain transfer to about 12 jars.

Something interesting I have noted while watching my second round:

The first round was injected directly from multispore syringe. Took over a month to fully colonize the master grain jar. After G2G, took about 2.5 months to fully colonize, before stones began forming. These suckers moved really really slow. I won't be doing this again, but it was an interesting experiment.

The second round was from agar isolated culture. Took a little over one week to fully colonize the master grain jar! It was like marshmallows on steroids in there, pure white stuff going everywhere. I should have taken time lapse photos, it would have been cool watching it move. After G2G, the jars colonized just about as quickly. Within a month I started to see the telltale signs of stones growing up against the glass. Isolating makes a huge difference! Definitely the better way to go.

anne halonium
#4 Posted : 7/1/2015 1:13:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this can also be done in PP5 plastic containers.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

TGO
#5 Posted : 7/1/2015 1:26:56 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

This is awesome! I don't have the time and space for a proper grow at the moment but I do have everything necessary for this except the spores! Looks like it is time dig into mycology again! Thank you so much for posting!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

TGO
#6 Posted : 7/8/2015 12:15:15 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Will 100% organic "Rye sprouting Seed" work for this? I have a feeling it will but I am not sure seeing as I have not grown sclerotia before. I have only worked with golden teachers and similar strains.

Thank you

cruetmixer
#7 Posted : 7/8/2015 2:22:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not really sure because that is not something I have tried personally but if it is grain it will more than likely work as long as it is hydrated and sterilized properly. You can use grass seed, wild bird seed, rye berries, wheat berries, millet, and I have even heard of using the PF Tek with BRF. (I would hazard to say that if you can use it to produce mushrooms than you are more than likely going to see results.) Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Eternal and Anne thanks for your input, I am not an expert and there are numerous ways to grow these succesfully, this certainly is not the only way. One day I may try a proper filter disc to see how it performs against tyvek. I have been wanting to use some plastic containers that will increase the available surface area, I think this will increase the yield but haven't yet experimented.

Eternal - would like to know more about your use of agar and your technique to isolate, I think that many in this community could benefit from this knowledge. If you aren't comfortable posting it here send me a PM please. Smile

Insert a profound and life-altering statement here for others to read.

TGO
#8 Posted : 7/9/2015 1:21:52 AM

Welcoming committee

Thank you for the response! It turns out it is 100% certified organic rye grain seed. The "sprouting" part threw me for a loop there for a second. Very happy

#9 Posted : 7/27/2015 11:06:38 PM

Psilosopher

Thanks for the write-up. I will be trying my hand at this in a few weeks.
My first exposure to psilocybin was with sclerotia. I have had around 15 experiences with them, but after my first cubensis grow I have not looked back. It will be interesting to grow some sclerotia and draw comparisons to cubes (however minute or imagined those might be) after having garnered some more experience Smile

For those concerned with storage, I have found some interesting information from the website of a commercial sclerotia farm (all concerning fresh storage):

Quote:
The truffles can be kept for over a month, when refrigerated at 2 to 4 degrees Celsius. Since truffles are a “living” product, it can happen that a white mist or white fluff “grows” on the truffles . This is harmless, and in fact it is actually healthy. The truffle forms new mycelium, and thus it is its own fungus that you see growing. This phenomenon occurs due to lack of gas exchange, which lets the CO2 content in the container increase.

Quote:
Our truffles can be stored up to 1 month in the refrigerator at 2 – 4 degrees Celsius. You can also buy a vacuum pack, shelf life is than prolonged up to 3 months in the refrigerator

Quote:
Normally packed mushrooms can be kept for 1 month in the fridge. Unopened, the shelf life of a vacuum pack is 2 - 3 months, BUT the longer it stays in vacuum the shorter the shelflife is after opening.

i.e. if you open a vacuum bag immediately after arrival, (fresh as possible) the shelflife of the opened bag would be 1 month. If you open a vacuum bag after 2 months, the shelflife of the open bag would be only 1 week. Due to the vacuum certain reactions take place which shorten the shelflife after oxidation.

For general purposes, I have read that a good method to preserve sclerotia long-term is to store them in a paper bag in the fridge, causing them to slowly dry out in a week or so. I assume after they have been dried using this method you can either keep them in the fridge or store them at room temp in an airtight container.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

TGO
#10 Posted : 7/28/2015 12:13:38 AM

Welcoming committee

ॐ wrote:
Thanks for the write-up. I will be trying my hand at this in a few weeks.
My first exposure to psilocybin was with sclerotia. I have had around 15 experiences with them, but after my first cubensis grow I have not looked back. It will be interesting to grow some sclerotia and draw comparisons to cubes (however minute or imagined those might be) after having garnered some more experience Smile

For those concerned with storage, I have found some interesting information from the website of a commercial sclerotia farm (all concerning fresh storage):

Quote:
The truffles can be kept for over a month, when refrigerated at 2 to 4 degrees Celsius. Since truffles are a “living” product, it can happen that a white mist or white fluff “grows” on the truffles . This is harmless, and in fact it is actually healthy. The truffle forms new mycelium, and thus it is its own fungus that you see growing. This phenomenon occurs due to lack of gas exchange, which lets the CO2 content in the container increase.

Quote:
Our truffles can be stored up to 1 month in the refrigerator at 2 – 4 degrees Celsius. You can also buy a vacuum pack, shelf life is than prolonged up to 3 months in the refrigerator

Quote:
Normally packed mushrooms can be kept for 1 month in the fridge. Unopened, the shelf life of a vacuum pack is 2 - 3 months, BUT the longer it stays in vacuum the shorter the shelflife is after opening.

i.e. if you open a vacuum bag immediately after arrival, (fresh as possible) the shelflife of the opened bag would be 1 month. If you open a vacuum bag after 2 months, the shelflife of the open bag would be only 1 week. Due to the vacuum certain reactions take place which shorten the shelflife after oxidation.

For general purposes, I have read that a good method to preserve sclerotia long-term is to store them in a paper bag in the fridge, causing them to slowly dry out in a week or so. I assume after they have been dried using this method you can either keep them in the fridge or store them at room temp in an airtight container.

Awesome, thanks for the storage info!

I have a small update on my Rye Sprouting Seed question. It definitely works! 9 out of 9 quart jars inoculated on the 12th are all growing healthily! Woo hoo!

Smile

OrionFyre
#11 Posted : 7/29/2015 6:00:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cruetmixer wrote:
Please do not abuse this information.

I'll try not to Pleased

Out of curiosity, what sorts of yields would one typically get when using this method versus using the medium for shrooms?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Take the third hit
Then youuu....

TGO
#12 Posted : 7/29/2015 4:51:50 PM

Welcoming committee

SOURCE:
Why isn't Sclerotia more popular?

I found this tidbit of info over at the shroomery:

Shroomery wrote:
I just started reading about sclerotia from the shroomery FAQ's and I am amazed that I haven't heard more about this seemingly 'too-good-to-be-true' mushroom, even though I've spent quite a lot of time here on the shroomery :]

1) The Sclerotia FAQ says "Sclerotia can be grown in vitro on rye grass seed or different grains." OK- That right there is amazing, so this means no working with casings? ...

2) Again, according to the FAQ , "Yields of more than 30 grams of dry sclerotia per cup of substrate have been reported when growing P. mexicana on rye grass seed" - This to me seems amazing -- So you mean, for a quart jar, massive amounts of potent sclerotia can be grown??

I know that sclerotia is only 2/3 as potent as dry cubensis fruits, yet since it only loses 70% water when drying (compared to cubensis' 90%), you are still making up for it.

Can someone help me out with these questions and explain why more people aren't cultivating this wonderful sounding mushroom? Thanks.

AND from the same thread:

Shroomery wrote:
i once made 8 quart jars of rye grass seed\rice and inoculated with mexicana "A" spores. 4 months later, i had about 360 grams of dry sclerotia. i found that 6-9 grams was good for a trip.

the yeild with stones is phenomenal, and there is very, very little involvement. you just prepare jars, inoculate, and harvest several months later.

i think the only reason they're not more popular is because few people know about them.

i don't grow them anymore though. i like growing mushrooms. making jars, making bulk substrate, casing, caring for a fruiting tray... these are not chores to me, but part of a hobby i enjoy. you don't get to do any of that with stone-growing. there's something magical about growing mushrooms from spore to mycelium to fruit to spore.

as far as yeild is concerned, i think it's possible for a skilled grower to get more total psilocybin per unit space per unit time by growing mushrooms instead of stones.

also, i feel that philosopher's stones are just tough to work with. for one, dried stones are ridiculously hard. i once tried powdering some in a coffee grinder and it destroyed the coffee grinder. there's a reason they're called philosopher's stones. you have to rehydrate them, and this can take a while 1-2 hours. harvesting stones is a pain in the ass. it involves carefully picking through a block of mycelium trying to get out all the hard brown stuff. it's very tedious... took me about an hour per quart jar. also, for whatever reason, stones may cause nausea and vomitting more frequently than mushrooms do.

i prefer to grow mushrooms, and i prefer to eat mushrooms. stones aren't a bad idea at all for the stealth\newbie grower, or just someone who is curious. they definitely have some very good aspects.

i'll stick with mushrooms though.

Of course, some of that info comes from the FAQ over there and the other bits are just what some people are saying so I'd take it with a grain of salt and use this as a general basic guideline.

Smile

EternalPeace
#13 Posted : 7/30/2015 10:51:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Responding to the Shroomery posts:

The Shroomery wrote:
So you mean, for a quart jar, massive amounts of potent sclerotia can be grown??

I'm working on determining this myself. So far, I don't have enough info. In my case, it doesn't matter--I'm happy having something rather than nothing. Not looking to make enough to last me years, or distribute to anyone else. If I get one dose out of each jar in a 12 jar batch, I'm set for the whole year.

The Shroomery wrote:
also, i feel that philosopher's stones are just tough to work with. for one, dried stones are ridiculously hard. i once tried powdering some in a coffee grinder and it destroyed the coffee grinder. there's a reason they're called philosopher's stones. you have to rehydrate them, and this can take a while 1-2 hours. harvesting stones is a pain in the ass. it involves carefully picking through a block of mycelium trying to get out all the hard brown stuff. it's very tedious... took me about an hour per quart jar. also, for whatever reason, stones may cause nausea and vomitting more frequently than mushrooms do.

Not tough to work that I've noticed. Not exactly rock hard when dried like the above, is easily blended into powder. (I don't bother with a coffee grinder, just use a blender.)

Not sure what he means by rehydrating. This is not required that I know of.

Harvesting is a bit tedious, but it certainly doesn't take an hour per jar. At least not in my experience so far. (I stopped trying to get them super clean, and left on little bits of grain since it shouldn't matter. If you are using seed, it might be a different story, depending on how you intend to ingest them.)

Regarding the nausea/vomiting, he may be correct. I had that happen the first time I tested my results. Subsequent tests were done using tea methods, which reduced the nausea considerably. (Work in progress...)

I also would eventually like to work on fruiting the Mexicana strains. (Not interested in cubes so much, but might give Penis Envy a shot to have a comparison.) Right now it's not an option due to location. Stealth only for the time being.

EternalPeace
#14 Posted : 8/3/2015 10:33:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just harvested jars 3 and 4 out of my first multispore batch. I figured they are so old they might start going bad. (About 8 months old now.) I was surprised to find that they not only were just fine, but they are apparently still growing! 95g wet in total, still on the low end I think, about 40-50g per jar. Lots of little hard pieces with a few larger chunks. Nothing golf ball sized yet.

Dumped out the jars into a big bucket, and used both hands to work it like soil, feeling for hard pieces. After all the easy ones were found, dumped into a sieve over another bucket, and panned for gold. Dumped the rest, the super small stuff not being worth the time and effort. Probably more there if I wanted to.

TGO
#15 Posted : 8/3/2015 11:38:18 PM

Welcoming committee

Thanks for the info, EternalPeace! And congratulations on the recent harvest! My jars are approaching their first month of growth. Everything is looking good as far as I can see! Smile

Strigiform
#16 Posted : 8/5/2015 3:03:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's funny, I've also been considering cultivating truffles. It seems quite straightforward, although I did not read about the issues with significantly greater nausea until now. I'll be sure to make a mushroom tea! Razz

EternalPeace
#17 Posted : 8/5/2015 10:09:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I remember trying what were probably cubes many years ago, my first experience with mushrooms. Plain old dried shrooms in a plastic bag. Loved it, had a great time, no notable nausea. Ate 'em straight too, which would have done it if it was going to happen.

Definitely noticeable nausea with my first batch of truffles, but can't be sure it isn't because I messed it up somehow. Going through the "grow your own" learning pains. :-)

TGO
#18 Posted : 8/6/2015 12:42:08 AM

Welcoming committee

Hmm, interesting. I have worked with golden teachers and related strains (home grown) and I never had any nausea whatsoever. Any discomfort was in the form of that "rushy" sort of feeling during the come up but still not related to nausea.

I wonder what could be different about truffles that may cause nausea. I am only speculating and can't really say much until mine are done and I give them a good ol' bioassay!

Smile